ADVERTISEMENT

Miami In-game Thread

Anybody else think that Cam Philips is either hit or miss? Sometimes he looks all ACC and other times he looks like an inexperienced freshman.

Nice pass up the middle to Sam Rogers. Extra points are getting very close to being blocked. Slye is taking forever to get to the ball.

That last drive by Miami was huge. Totally changes the feel of the game going into halftime.

That last drive by Miami was huge. Totally changes the feel of the game going into halftime.
I agree. It feels as though the Hokies are losing the game now. The 1st Hokie possession in the 2nd half may dictate how the rest of the game goes.

Enough with the side-to-side crap already. Coach F needs to learn that teams like Miami have WAY more sideline-to-sideline speed than any AAC teams had, and this East-West offense just isn't going to work.

And how in the world are we in game 7 and our secondary still has no idea who they are supposed to be covering? How many horribly blown pass coverages have we had tonight?

Our defense is either a tackle for loss or a huge gain given up, with not much in between.

I thought this year we were supposed to be focusing on not giving up so many big plays?

The offense is awesome. If you notice when alot of the plays fail it is because of a player missed a key block. At least we Hokie fans cant sit here and call run, run, incomplete pass, punt, every possession. For a first year offense, I think they are doing ok.
Defense had a good night minus a few blown coverages.
Woody played lights out. Congrats to the big fella.

I do not get the people talking bad about the play calling.. I think that it was a very well called game and you can not be super picky when it comes to play calling. and some possessions the Defense just wins.. after we have looked at the Offense we have for the last few decades we should be praising this offense. It is night and day.. the offense is a sideline to sideline offense. I wish we would line up and pound the middle here and there but it is not in the system design. but if you guys watch any of fuente's Memphis teams thats not his style so we knew that coming in. no TE's and FBs. but people seem to confuse smart play calling in some situations as conservative. Anyway Wyatt Teller seems to get a penalty every game, and I really worry about 31 on D.. if we play any wide open offense they will pick on him and it could be bad.. But that was a good win. We have to get this one next week and take this division!!!!

...the offense is a sideline to sideline offense. I wish we would line up and pound the middle here and there but it is not in the system design.
We actually switched up in the middle of the 3rd qtr after I posted that and started running north and south, and the results for the rest of the game were fantastic!

What THRILLS me about our offense (with exceptions, of course...damn Cuse) is that I can look at a set of play calls that aren't working and I can post that we need to go in a different direction...and our coaches actually see the exact same thing...and we go in a different direction!

I don't have a trained eye (never been a coach), but I've been watching football for 40 years now and I've seen enough of it over time to recognize when something isn't going to work (especially when it's really obvious), and I can even often understand WHY it isn't going to work. In the Stiney days, if we came out on the first drive and the attack plan was a disaster, then I might as well go mow the yard, because there was never a Plan B so it was never going to get any better. With these guys, though, I love the fact that if Plan A isn't working, I should just hang out until the next drive and see what the Plan B adjustments are. Or the next drive and see what the Plan C adjustments are. They'll keep tweaking until they figure something out (or we lose), but they don't settle for what's not working like the last staffs did.

I also love how if the play calling sucks, the coaches don't immediately blame the players after the game like the last staffs did.

Reactions: RB4
You got it man.. last week the one thing that made me smile is when Fuente said it was on him, he took the blame for not having his team ready and things not working out. Beamer had the old line "well a play here and a play there and we would have been right there in it." I love Beamer don't want to really bash him, but I do love some of the differences in him and Fuente. I think it is safe to say there is no reason we should have lost to Syracuse. I think the team (just like the fans) looked past them and was worried about MIA. They thought half effort would beat syracuse and they came out playing full speed and beat up on VT. The 1-0 mindset that he is putting in the player's heads will grow and it will be a lifestyle in a few years at VT. Love the direction of the program, the one thing that i want to see go with it is recruiting if we can sync up recruiting with our system and success VT could be back to a frequent top 10 team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT