ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Hughes to UNC

Otis4411

Hokie Hall of Fame
Jan 30, 2003
Figured I'd throw out a congrats to the Carolina guys that lurk around here. Hughes sure pulled one over me on this. Didn't see it coming. He is one heck of s receiver and I'll go ahead and say he starts from day one. Kid is too good to not be on the field. sob sob sniffle**

THX

He'll start from day one as a defensive back and on special teams. Allows us to move Des Lawrence to safety where he is a natural fit.

And fwifw, I don't think Hughes "fooled" anyone that was paying attention. He has been to Chapel Hill numerous times since his sophomore year, was a star in the freak show, and has said all along that he has a great relationship with the Carolina staff. He just was very low key about his recruitment.

People read things into his actions that they wanted to read, not necessarily things that were actually there.

Imfao, he is the number 1 player in the state of N.C.

We'll see how it plays out on the field, 4 stars on Rivals & ESPN, 3 stars on Scout & 24/7, iirc.

Originally posted by backstreetheel:
THX

He'll start from day one as a defensive back and on special teams. Allows us to move Des Lawrence to safety where he is a natural fit.

And fwifw, I don't think Hughes "fooled" anyone that was paying attention. He has been to Chapel Hill numerous times since his sophomore year, was a star in the freak show, and has said all along that he has a great relationship with the Carolina staff. He just was very low key about his recruitment.

People read things into his actions that they wanted to read, not necessarily things that were actually there.

Imfao, he is the number 1 player in the state of N.C.

We'll see how it plays out on the field, 4 stars on Rivals & ESPN, 3 stars on Scout & 24/7, iirc.
I have a close connection to the staff at State and Hughes was saying the same to them. He had the offer to play both ways also. I agree he starts from day one and he would have at State also. Some of my fellow members called me crazy but a few high school coaches I know say he is the best CB they have seen around here ever. I'm not going to trash him because he chose Carolina. I think we will have to counter with taller receivers to go against him. Hughes is the real deal. I really hate losing him to you guys.

Originally posted by Hoos19NC:
I guess the fake classes is a great recruiting tool.....
Hughes is qualified and I don't think that would have played a role. Some say his uncle got involved but I haven't talked to anyone yet about that. I do know his friend Squires that will walk on at Carolina could not at State because of his grades so apparently Fedora is getting an exception for him. So far Doeren has refused to do this and I think I agree with him. I don't think this had anything to do with Mikes decision. Had Mike Hughes played CB the last 2 years he may very well be a 5* recruit.

While Hughes is an excellent player, he would not have started at State as a freshman. That is one of the main reasons he chose UNC. He believes that he could be "the man" from day 1 in their secondary.

Originally posted by PACKed House:
While Hughes is an excellent player, he would not have started at State as a freshman. That is one of the main reasons he chose UNC. He believes that he could be "the man" from day 1 in their secondary.
That's the funniest thing I have read on any message board in a long, long time. A statement so ridiculous that it doesn't even need refuting.

A great many high school coaches in Eastern North Carolina think he is the #1 player in the state, hands down. Several think he is the best high school skill player ever out of the area. We'll see how he turns out over the next several years, but that is a lot to live up to imfao.

Originally posted by Otis4411:

Hughes is qualified and I don't think that would have played a role. Some say his uncle got involved but I haven't talked to anyone yet about that. I do know his friend Squires that will walk on at Carolina could not at State because of his grades so apparently Fedora is getting an exception for him. So far Doeren has refused to do this and I think I agree with him. I don't think this had anything to do with Mikes decision. Had Mike Hughes played CB the last 2 years he may very well be a 5* recruit.
Here is what Squires had to say in an interview after he committed.

What were some of your other options, what offers did you have that you turned down in order to be a preferred walk-on at UNC?

SS: I had a preferred walk-on at (NC) State. Fayetteville State offered me, UNC-Pembroke, Catawba, Charleston Southern offered me early in the year. But just the Carolina coaching staff, the fan base, and just the location of the campus, everybody there it's like a family feel and I felt like it would be a great fit for me.

Seems strange DD would offer him a spot as a PWO if he couldn't get into school at state. Either DD was lying to him in order to get in with Hughes, the kid is lying, the kid qualifies, or you are misinformed."

UNC must have been only school to offer him, I can't believe he'd pick UNC over other good football schools.

Straight from the horses mouth at his presser...

Was the opportunity to play early, because they do have opportunities there, was that a part of your decision making process?[/I]

MH:[/B] Yes, sir. The depth is pretty weak at defensive backs, so I feel like I'll be a pretty big (inaudible) there.

Hughes is an excellent high school player. But he has yet to play a college game. At 5'10" and 160lbs...he will need some S&C to excel at the next level. Our DBs shut your WRs down and Marquisse Williams got his azz beat waiting for them to get open. Hughes was at that game. He saw where the playing time was. He wants to play early. We are loaded with frosh and soph DBs that are already 200lbs and can play run support as well as cover. Early playing time would be very tough at State...but pretty easy at UNC...where he can be the man.

Originally posted by backstreetheel:

Originally posted by Otis4411:

Here is what Squires had to say in an interview after he committed.

What were some of your other options, what offers did you have that you turned down in order to be a preferred walk-on at UNC?

SS: I had a preferred walk-on at (NC) State. Fayetteville State offered me, UNC-Pembroke, Catawba, Charleston Southern offered me early in the year. But just the Carolina coaching staff, the fan base, and just the location of the campus, everybody there it's like a family feel and I felt like it would be a great fit for me.

Seems strange DD would offer him a spot as a PWO if he couldn't get into school at state. Either DD was lying to him in order to get in with Hughes, the kid is lying, the kid qualifies, or you are misinformed."
He did have an offer to walk on, that much is true. lol He did not have the grade he needed. Academic exceptions are something the NCAA allows so no reason for them to lie about it. Ask them.

Speaking of lying I wonder how Mike is feeling this morning after hearing his position coach and recruiter is fired the day after signing day. You can't make this crap up. Yesterday Fedora talks crap about people negatively recruiting against his poor team. Hell somebody has to tell them the truth.

This post was edited on 2/5 12:59 PM by Otis4411

UNC is like UVA. I cannot figure out why players go there when they are recruited by much better teams/schools. Early playing time might be some lure, but if they can play, they can play. Some recruits will fall for anything I guess.

Poor little HR.....maybe all recruits should consult with you before choosing a school....LMAO

There are some schools I wish who could not get enough recruits and have to use walk ons just to field a team. Among them are:

Ohio state
Southern Cal
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Michigan
Virginia
Georgia Tech
Lousiville
Oregon
Tennessee
Arkansas

And all the other benefits of going to unCheat . Who got the Car or Job ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT