ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Playoffs

The NCAA and the committee and ESPN wants Oregon and Ohio State in. This was probably decided back in August.

If any Pac 10 or Big 10 team is in playoffs, they will be watered down. They simply have played weak schedule compared to SEC.

I think Mississippi State might be in best position of any team. If they win out, and not have to play in SEC title game, they finish 11-1 with only loss to Alabama, they're in in my opinion.

Originally posted by fathersonhokie:
Ohio st doesn't belong.

Of the one loss teams, their one loss is the worst loss. And they only have the MichSt win, which may prove to be no big deal. B10 sucks. If they get in, it is aTV thing.

Even Oregon is a stretch. Is losing to AZ better than losing to WV? Meh. Maaaaybe.
Losing to Az isn't like losing to Baylor.

And just look at the wins some of the one loss teams have. anOhioStUniv doesn't belong in top 4... No way.
Their "big win" vs minn was close (one TD), very unlike TCU's complete dismantling of Minn (23 pts). TCU beat #4, #7, #15, and #20.
Baylor beat #9 and #15.

And the SEC wins for Alabama &MissSt are impressive. #s 8, 6, & 2 (missSt) and #s 1, 16, 21 for Bama.
MissSt's loss is better than Alabama's.
Oregon? #s 7, 17, & 18
TCU accomplishments > Oregon's.

2 SEC
1 ACC
1 B12

..if it was picked today.
My question for you is this - do you get credit for beating the number 2 team when they aren't really the number 2 team?

For example unranked WVU crushed a top 3 VT team in 2003. By the end of the year - WVU won a share on the Big East title while VT barely avoided losing to Temple. That win looked great for WVU at the time - but it really wasn't that great of a win since WVU proved that they were the better team by the end of the year.

You are giving Mississippi State credit for beating 3 top 10 teams when none of these teams are sniffing the top 10 now.
It would be different if the only reason that they weren't top 10 teams is because they lost to Mississippi State - however LSU just lost to Arkansas 17-0, Texas A&M got beat 59-0 by Alabama/lost to Missouri at home/got crushed by Ole Miss at home, and Auburn has lost two in a row after escaping Ole Miss getting destroyed by Georgia in the process.

I would be more understanding if Mississippi State actually played someone OOC - but they didn't. They basically have 7 layup games in their 4 OOC games plus Vandy, Kentucky, and Arkansas. Now Alabama is great - but they lost to them. If Mississippi State beats Ole Miss then I might buy in.

Originally posted by vtpmt81:
Ohio st doesn't belong.

Of the one loss teams, their one loss is the worst loss. And they only have the MichSt win, which may prove to be no big deal. B10 sucks. If they get in, it is aTV thing.

Even Oregon is a stretch. Is losing to AZ better than losing to WV? Meh. Maaaaybe.

And just look at the wins some of the one loss teams have. anOhioStUniv doesn't belong in top 4... No way.
Their "big win" vs minn was close (one TD), very unlike TCU's complete dismantling of Minn (23 pts). TCU beat #4, #7, #15, and #20.
Baylor beat #9 and #15.

And the SEC wins for Alabama &MissSt are impressive. #s 8, 6, & 2 (missSt) and #s 1, 16, 21 for Bama.
Oregon? #s 7, 17, & 18

2 SEC
1 ACC
1 B12

My question for you is this - do you get credit for beating the number 2 team when they aren't really the number 2 team?

For example unranked WVU crushed a top 3 VT team in 2003. By the end of the year - WVU won a share on the Big East title while VT barely avoided losing to Temple. That win looked great for WVU at the time - but it really wasn't that great of a win since WVU proved that they were the better team by the end of the year.

You are giving Mississippi State credit for beating 3 top 10 teams when none of these teams are sniffing the top 10 now.
It would be different if the only reason that they weren't top 10 teams is because they lost to Mississippi State - however LSU just lost to Arkansas 17-0, Texas A&M got beat 59-0 by Alabama/lost to Missouri at home/got crushed by Ole Miss at home, and Auburn has lost two in a row after escaping Ole Miss getting destroyed by Georgia in the process.

I would be more understanding if Mississippi State actually played someone OOC - but they didn't. They basically have 7 layup games in their 4 OOC games plus Vandy, Kentucky, and Arkansas. Now Alabama is great - but they lost to them. If Mississippi State beats Ole Miss then I might buy in.
Yeah, I get that; and there's a strong argument in what you say. I simply looked at the ESPN page for ea team when I put that together (and ESPN is citing the ranking at the time of the game, not end-of-year).
Even if Miss St is taken out, I don't see Oregon nor anOSU as being top 4.
MissSt has had a helluva year.

Ohio st doesn't belong.

Baylor beat #9 and #15.

Oregon? #s 7, 17, & 18

2 SEC
1 ACC
1 B12

Yeah, I get that; and there's a strong argument in what you say. I simply looked at the ESPN page for ea team when I put that together (and ESPN is citing the ranking at the time of the game, not end-of-year).
Agree, and Miss St losing by 5 at Bama is nothing to be ashamed of. I believe they win 75% of the time on a neutral field. They should hands down still be in a 4 team playoff if it started today.

Practically speaking, since Mississippi st. cannot control other teams scheduling only way to judge is on field. For Mississippi st this years opponents record 70 - 55, .56 winning percentage. Oregon is 61- 51, .54 winning percentage. Still not sure how you call schedule pathetic. The facts speak for themselves. Any team on oregons schedule would be hard pressed to beat Alabama, auburn, Mississippi, Lsu, or even Texas am or Arkansas in a neutral field. If Oregon wins out, they deserve to go, but not because of mississipi st schedule.

Originally posted by SunnyBeachWave:

Ohio st doesn't belong.

Baylor beat #9 and #15.

Oregon? #s 7, 17, & 18

2 SEC
1 ACC
1 B12

Agree, and Miss St losing by 5 at Bama is nothing to be ashamed of. I believe they win 75% of the time on a neutral field. They should hands down still be in a 4 team playoff if it started today.
Mississippi State has been great this year - that is why it is sad that they didn't play one good team OOC this year. I really don't hate Mississippi State - I just wish some of the talking heads out there looked beyond 1 loss SEC team and actually looked at their resume. Mississippi State scored a garbage TD in the Alabama game with 16 seconds left.

Now if you want to argue against Oregon - then that is fine with me.

They played 4 good teams (Michigan State, UCLA, Arizona, and Utah) so far and are 3-1 in those games. The rest of the schedule isn't great. Now - the reason why I am okay with Oregon (and FSU as well) because Oregon played Michigan State OOC. FSU is playing Oklahoma State and Florida OOC. Even OSU had Navy, Cincy, and VT. However, OSU's schedule is pretty bad. They have 2 good wins - Michigan State and Minnesota. Beating Wisconsin gives them 3 good wins. That really isn't that great.

You can't do anything about your conference - but you can control your non conference schedule. Mississippi State and Baylor chose to schedule easy wins. To me that is a negative.

I just really don't want to see anOhioSt go. They don't deserve it.

I'd be happy with most any other combinations that somehow leave out anOSU.

Question- How hard would it have been (really) to take the playoffs to 8?

Impossible. 4 was a challenge and not a radical change, so they could get the 4 team playoff in place. Now, leave out TCU, Baylor, a second SEC team, and you better believe it will be 8 teams next year.

Originally posted by VTSmitty:

Impossible. 4 was a challenge and not a radical change, so they could get the 4 team playoff in place. Now, leave out TCU, Baylor, a second SEC team, and you better believe it will be 8 teams next year.
Eventually it will go to 8. My hope is that when it does it will include all conference champions so it will be a true championship (like NCAA basketball tourney) instead of subjective selection criteria by biased committee members. The current set-up really isn't much better than what we had before.

I think FSU, Alabama, Oregon, TCU, Ohio State, Baylor, Mississippi State, any 8th team (whether you pick Marshall or pick Georgia if they finish 10-2 and don't get into SEC title game or Arizona if they finish 10-2 and don't get into the Pac-12 title game) would be ideal this year.

Sign me up for

Mississippi State @ TCU - Friday 8:00 pm kick
Ohio State @ Florida State - Saturday 12:30 pm kick
Marshall/Arizona/Georgia @ Alabama - Saturday 4:15 pm kick
Baylor @ Oregon - Saturday 8:00 pm kick

If my memory is correct, it will be several years before they can go to 8 teams because of TV contracts signed for current 4 team deal.

The 4 teams in playoffs this year should be :

Alabama
Mississippi State
FSU (providing they not lose a game)
Baylor or TCU

No one else should even be considered right now.

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:

If my memory is correct, it will be several years before they can go to 8 teams because of TV contracts signed for current 4 team deal.

The 4 teams in playoffs this year should be :

Alabama
Mississippi State
FSU (providing they not lose a game)
Baylor or TCU

No one else should even be considered right now.
That's the way I see it, too.
And while Baylor beat TCU head-to-head, Baylor has a worse loss than TCU does (WV, who TCU barely beat).
but man, did Baylor ever completely dismantle Oklahoma. THAT was impressive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT