ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Rankings for remaining teams from Iowa to Bama...interesting

lucustookis

All-American
Jul 7, 2007
I meant to post this with another subject title earlier. My bad. Anyway, some may find this interesting regarding the recruiting rankings of the teams that are probably going to be in the college football final four playoff, and for one's that maybe have a tiny, tiny chance. All of these are from 2011 through 2015 (5 seasons) per rivals recruiting rankings.

Carolina's last 5 recruiting classes per rivals from 2011 through 2015.
16, 42, 44, 23, 28. Average for the last 5 years is 31st.

Clemson's last 5 recruiting classes per rivals from 2011 through 2015.
8, 14, 14, 13, 4. Average for the last 5 years is 10.3.

Oklahoma's last 5 recruiting classes per rivals from 2011 through 2015.
14,11,15,15,14. Average for the last 5 years is 14th.

Notre Dame's last 5 recruiting classes per rivals from 2011 through 2015.
10,20,3,11,11. Average for the last 5 years is 10.5.

Alabama's last 5 recruiting classes per rivals from 2011 through 2015.
1,1,1,1,2. Average is 1st

Baylor's last 5 recruiting classes per rivals from 2011 through 2015.
46,45,31,35,43. Average is 40th.

Stanford's last 5 recruiting classes per rivals from 2011 through 2015.
22,5,64,14,18. Average is 25th.

Oklahoma State last 5 recruiting classes per rivals from 2011 through 2015.
28,32,36,27,38. Average is 32nd.

Iowa's last 5 recruiting classes per rivals from 2011 through 2015.
30,43,53,59,58. Average is 49th.

Michigan State's last 5 recruiting classes per rivals from 2011 through 2015.
31,41,40,22,22. Average is 31st.

Ohio State's last 5 recruiting classes per rivals from 2011 through 2015.
11,4,2,3,9. Average is 6th.

Michigan's
last 5 recruiting classes per rivals from 2011 through 2015.
21,7,5,31,50th. Average is 23rd.

Virginia Tech- ranks 24.8
in recruiting over the last 5 years.

Conclusions from above. Some are facts. Some are opinions and these are" on paper" opinions only.
1. Iowa and Baylor are not winning a national title, but Baylor has one heck of a coach because they've been at it for a while now, not just one year like Iowa, but they've been at it for a while with at least....what appears on paper, inferior talent.
2. North Carolina and Oki State and Michigan State are equally talented, but not talented enough to win a title.
3. Michigan and Stanford and Virginia Tech are equal in talent.
4. Notre Dame is actually very talented and equally talented as Clemson and both talented enough to win it.
5. Oklahoma is less talented than Notre Dame and Clemson, but not by much.
6. Even compared to Clemson and Notre Dame, Bama's talent is completely on another level and you can see, couple that talent with a very good coach, and you have a juggernaut that's going to be favored to when it, if they get in the college playoff.
I realize the rankings above and my conclusions are simply on paper and not on the field.

Last edited:
About 3 years ago I looked at Rivals recruiting rankings, curious as to how many 4 and 5 star players each program was pulling. I also chose a 5 year recruiting window. One of the things that jumped out was the huge disparity in recruits between the top programs and the rest of the field. There is a very steep curve at the top that really is flattening out by the time it gets to us. Bama was number one with a total of 90 4&5 star recruits over that period. The closest 2nd was Ohio State, with 79. FSU, for a reference point, was 5th, and their number had dropped to 55. We were tied for 25th at the time. There's not so much difference between 25th and 50th. But Alabama, at 90, an average of 18 per year, literally means they don't ever have to play with players who were rated less than 4 star, if they don't want to.

About 3 years ago I looked at Rivals recruiting rankings, curious as to how many 4 and 5 star players each program was pulling. I also chose a 5 year recruiting window. One of the things that jumped out was the huge disparity in recruits between the top programs and the rest of the field. There is a very steep curve at the top that really is flattening out by the time it gets to us. Bama was number one with a total of 90 4&5 star recruits over that period. The closest 2nd was Ohio State, with 79. FSU, for a reference point, was 5th, and their number had dropped to 55. We were tied for 25th at the time. There's not so much difference between 25th and 50th. But Alabama, at 90, an average of 18 per year, literally means they don't ever have to play with players who were rated less than 4 star, if they don't want to.

Exactly right.

I

Conclusions from above. Some are facts. Some are opinions and these are" on paper" opinions only.
1. Iowa and Baylor are not winning a national title, but Baylor has one heck of a coach because they've been at it for a while now, not just one year like Iowa, but they've been at it for a while with at least....what appears on paper, inferior talent.
2. North Carolina and Oki State and Michigan State are equally talented, but not talented enough to win a title.
3. Michigan and Stanford and Virginia Tech are equal in talent.
4. Notre Dame is actually very talented and equally talented as Clemson and both talented enough to win it.
5. Oklahoma is less talented than Notre Dame and Clemson, but not by much.
6. Even compared to Clemson and Notre Dame, Bama's talent is completely on another level and you can see, couple that talent with a very good coach, and you have a juggernaut that's going to be favored to when it, if they get in the college playoff.
I realize the rankings above and my conclusions are simply on paper and not on the field.

Baylor has very good talent. The rankings are projections coming in and if we re-ranked the talent AFTER they get to college it is more accurate you would see Baylor go way up. TCU and Baylor also are in Texas which has about 150-200 ranked recruits a year compared to a state like Oregon that only has about 10 ranked recruits. UTexas is down which helped Baylor/TCU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT