ADVERTISEMENT

So When Is Tech Going to Get Serious and Fire Beamer and Co.?

Sep 15, 2012
Beamer has literally run this program into the ground! If my job performance was as bad as Beamers for the last five years, I'd be walking the pavement looking for a new job. This crap has gotten old!!

Beamer is basically following down the path of Phil Phulmer, Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, and Steve Spurrier. All stayed on the job too long and their respective programs suffered as a result. It's going to be up to someone in the VT administration to tell Beamer to turn in his keys. I don't know if anyone there has the balls to do it. We shall see what we shall see.

Reactions: Volasaurus
How many years does Beamer have on his contract? What will it cost VT to let him go after this year?

When Lane is about half full his seat will get hot...which isnt going to happen. I dont give a damn how special everybody thinks "Babs" is, firing a failing BB coach and firing a legend FB coach are two seperate things. Beamer will step down when hes ready and Im guessing it will be after the Bristol game next season. No way he misses on being the coach in what might be a record setting attendance, especially after hes wanted this game for so long.

Besides, it could be worse. We could've just suffered our worst loss of all time today - at home no less - like one of our conference mates just did.

Oh wait...that sorry-assed joke of a team beat us pretty soundly last week.

How many years does Beamer have on his contract? What will it cost VT to let him go after this year?
Same question I have been asking about Beamers contract, still believe that will play a role in whether he is coach next season or not...good news is it's only a few weeks until basketball season!!!!

I quoted the closest post (Hoos19's), but I could've quoted any number of different people who have asked the same question over the past few months. It wasn't specifically directed at Hoos19.

I hope you're right about Beamer, but I'll believe it when I see it.

The Bristol game doesn't mean squat as far as Beamer staying past this year, if he keeps up the losing streak. If anything there will be more interest in the game if we show up with our brand new coach.

My guess is Whit already has his statue on order so it can be unveiled at the last home game.

I didn't know how long it was, guess I could have "googled" it but hadn't. But it seems it would be extremely costly to let Beamer go with that many years left. Guess that extension last year wasn't one of Whits best moves, I suspect he's back next year at the least.

When Beamer gets relieved of his coaching duties, he'll stay on the payroll just like Phulmer at UT, Pat Dye at Auburn, and others. They'll let him keep an office and he'll attend special functions just so everyone can meet and shake hands with a living legend football coach.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/vi...-column-tech-uva-advance-20141128-column.html

According to this article the buyout isn't an issue. We just owe him $250K a year for 8 years whenever he retires.
Correct. Beamer will be a special consultant to the athletics program (or some such nonsense like that) for 8 years after he steps down, and VT will pay him $250K / year to do it. When that time comes is not set in stone. It could be Beamer that decides when, or it could be someone else that decides. VT pays the same either way.

Babs has been talking with prospects for a while now. Beamer isn't going to make it past this year and after looking like he had been crying at the presser, I'm starting to doubt he makes it to the end of this season mentally.

Going to be some nasty articles tomorrow about 67 yd field goals, accidental onside kicks, not calling out the officials for the clock running when Phillips was out of bounds, etc..

I wish to withdrawal my previous position concerning Beamer at Bristol. After seeing him at the presser, I dont think he makes it that long. Sad but every dog has his day I guess.

Didn't realize the buyout was so low, that makes Big difference.
That's not the buyout , that was in his contract long before the extension. I'm not sure what the buyout is, but I wouldnt expect Coach to rape the univ. This is the coach who turned down a raise when the state of Va had a freeze on raises for employees. He wouldnt take a raise until all employees of the univ. received one.

Accordiing to the article in the link I provided the $250K for 8 years is what he gets when he retires. The article says retires or terminated but we all know he isn't going to be terminated. So the way I read it if he is forced to retire this season he gets 8 years @ $250K per year, period, and that's the agreement, until 1-1-19.

So if there's a different buyout in his contract that's what VT would be "buying out", an agreement that pays 2 million over 8 years.

That's not the buyout , that was in his contract long before the extension. I'm not sure what the buyout is, but I wouldnt expect Coach to rape the univ. This is the coach who turned down a raise when the state of Va had a freeze on raises for employees. He wouldnt take a raise until all employees of the univ. received one.
I would suspect what he goes after depends on how the situation is handled. If he wants to continue coaching and he isn't given that opportunity, who knows how he will react.....he's a class act so I don't really believe it will get ugly, especially what the public sees. As we have seen before it can be tough for some of these successful coaches to just fade away. I don't know how many posters on this board are old enough to know what Beamer has done for VT, but for those that remember VT football pre Beamer.....the man took VT from the pits to the top, it will be interesting to see what happens under a new coach.

That IS the buyout (or more accurately, there's not a "traditional" buyout clause...we're doing this instead). VT pays Beamer $2 mil when he leaves...spread out over 8 years. It doesn't matter whose decision it is for him to leave or when the decision happens, and there's no other money involved.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT