ADVERTISEMENT

Tabyus Taylor, 2014 recruit, who never arrived:

BigDaddyHokie

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2007
spent 72 days in jail for a robbery he says he did not commit. The case has been dropped by the police due to lack of evidence.

He seems like a fine young man and I believe him when he says it was mistaken identity.

I hope he gets to fulfill his dream of playing college football and I hope VT stands by its offer.

Originally posted by BigDaddyHokie:
spent 72 days in jail for a robbery he says he did not commit. The case has been dropped by the police due to lack of evidence.

He seems like a fine young man and I believe him when he says it was mistaken identity.

I hope he gets to fulfill his dream of playing college football and I hope VT stands by its offer.
I believe prior to his arrest it was already a given that he would never attend VT.

I read that article as well.
What was the reason that "prior to his arrest it was already a given that he would never attend VT. "?

I had been sorta trying to keep up with him...

Originally posted by kcwashing1:

I read that article as well.
What was the reason that "prior to his arrest it was already a given that he would never attend VT. "?

I had been sorta trying to keep up with him...
Not really sure. Not sure it was him, VT, mutual, or grades, but pretty confident it just wasn't going to happen. I hated it turned out the way it did. I was born in Petersburg, and lived my first 5 years in Hopewell.

The case was not dropped due to a lack of evidence. Actually, the case was "set aside", not dropped. Big difference. The police say they have sufficient evidence to tie Taylor and his brother to the crime, and the reason the case has not continued at this point is because the victims are afraid to press charges. The police chief said the brothers got a "break of a lifetime, and I hope they make the best of it."

The way I heard it is that the police can tie him and his brother to the scene of the crime. He lives in the area does he not?

Innocent until proven guilty.

This post was edited on 3/26 12:16 PM by BigDaddyHokie

I kinda sorta have your take on it BDH... I think those who serve the public should not offer public opinions, but just simple facts. They don't seem to have many if the case is not moving forward.

Originally posted by pckank1:

The case was not dropped due to a lack of evidence. Actually, the case was "set aside", not dropped. Big difference. The police say they have sufficient evidence to tie Taylor and his brother to the crime, and the reason the case has not continued at this point is because the victims are afraid to press charges. The police chief said the brothers got a "break of a lifetime, and I hope they make the best of it."
Stick to stats and stop trying to be a lawyer. They were charged; [/I] the [/I]case ended in nolle prosequi which is an admission from the state that they CAN'T PROVE the charges. You're just quoting a backwoods police chief from a news article. "Set aside" isn't even a criminal case status.

I'm not so sure they did it. 19 and 18 yrs old with no previous criminal record, not even a misdemeanor charge, both played sports year round for the previous decade, Growing up, the Taylor brothers played sports all year round. They went from football in the fall, to basketball in the winter and baseball in the spring. "From the time Tabyus was nine and Teandrey was eight, they have never been without playing a sport," their mother said. "They went from one sport to the next sport."[/QUOTE]both had a history of volunteering; the local commonwealth attorney had to step aside from the case; conflict of interest because the family had volunteered on his campaign; a special prosecutor was brought in.

both are widely known in that small community as sports stars, the older brother graduated high school and the younger one is in his senior year.

They had on their persons at the time of arrrest receipts from purchases made at Southpark Mall in Colonial Heights within 30 min prior to the robbery.

So two local sports superstars who have never even been in trouble go to the mall and purchase some overpriced merchandise then decide after arriving home to go right back out and put a gun to someone's head and steal their smokes? I don't know about this Kank..... But I read the case, rather than read that one short sensationalized article from the local news channel and judge them.

Listening to Tabyus' version of the arrest, he comes across as being honest.

"I was looking confused, Tabyus said. "He told me to get down and I went to my knees."

They were charged; but the police claim the victims are "afraid to testify", yet the chief maintains he has "sufficient evidence to tie them to the crime". Something doesn't add up. If the prosecutor has sufficient evidence, is he really gonna let them go without even a trial and probation/warning for as serious a crime as an armed robbery with a firearm? Not likely in my opinion. The mercy would likely be given at sentencing by the judge, not from nolle prosecui.

72 days in adult lockup where Tabyus said it "was hell", with NO bond even though they had no previous records? Possible mistaken identity and racial profiling? Sounds like a huge lawsuit to me. Wouldn't that give the chief motive for his statement that they have enough evidence, so the family feels "lucky" the case is a nolle prosecui and are less likely to "stir" the pot with suit? A lawsuit and publicity over a blunder like this and he could lose his job. Hell, the entire department would probably be audited by the feds with a little outside pressure.

This post was edited on 3/22 1:59 AM by SunnyBeachWave

Originally posted by kcwashing1:

I kinda sorta have your take on it BDH... I think those who serve the public should not offer public opinions, but just simple facts. They don't seem to have many if the case is not moving forward.
And I absolutely agree 100%...Making public comments to save face or subtly intimidate the defendants is a disgrace.

Sunny,

I stand by everything I said.

1. The case was not dropped.
2. The case was set aside, which means they can still go to court if the victims decide to testify.
3. The police did say they have sufficient evidence. Hopewell Police
Chief John Keohane commended the officers for their work on the case. He
said all evidence in the case was recovered. Keohane said the robbers
were wearing "distinctive" clothing and there was also eyewitness
testimony, with a positive identification given on the brothers. "It was a very, very strong case," Keohane said.

I never said they were guilty or innocent. Shoot, I never even gave an opinion. All I did was respond to a post that had incorrect information in it. The original post said the case was dropped, which it wasn't, and not only did he say the case was dropped, but said it was due to a lack of evidence, which is also incorrect.

Draw your own conclusions, but why get on me for posting facts when the original poster was the one who lied? Nevermind, we all know why you chose to attack my post. No shocker there.

Because you didn't post facts from the investigation. You selectively posted only the negative stuff from a single article according to a quick internet search and what you read that the chief stated from his biased perspective. Why would you be offended that I posted more than your "facts"? Is it because what I posted makes your facts seem a little less factual?

The police chief sounds butthurt; as well he should be because statements from the mother recently infer they are seeking legal repercussions.

Again, perhaps you should review the case rather than the irresponsible comments made to the media. The case was "nolle prosequi", which again (and still) means they do NOT have sufficient evidence to prove the case.

Just in case you're confused, here's a definition straight from law.com:

nolle prosequi

(no-lay pro-say-kwee) n. Latin for "we shall no longer prosecute," which is a declaration made to the judge by a prosecutor in a criminal case (or by a plaintiff in a civil lawsuit) either before or during trial, meaning the case against the defendant is being dropped. The statement is an admission that the charges cannot be proved, that evidence has demonstrated either innocence or a fatal flaw in the prosecution's claim or the district attorney has become convinced the accused is innocent.

Actually I saw them on the local news and did not read an article. What I said is what I remember about the story.

I still say innocent until proven guilty. And shame on anyone that says anything negative about 2 fine young men unless they have the proof to back up their opinions.

Just like the Duke lacrosse players all over again.

This post was edited on 3/26 12:24 PM by BigDaddyHokie

A nolle prosequi case can be brought back up in Virginia. It does not mean it is dropped. It could be a number of reasons why they chose not to prosecute at this time. May mean there was not enough evidence, could mean witnesses did not wanna testify. Who knows, all I know is its not good to get arrested for a crime like this and innocent until proven guilty. However, hard to believe somebody is completely innocent when they are arrested and held like this.

Meh, no point in arguing. I posted the exact legal definition above.
This post was edited on 4/1 12:08 PM by SunnyBeachWave

Effect of Dismissal

The normal effect of nolle prosequi is to leave matters as if charges had never been filed. It's not an acquittal, which (through the principle of charging document. (People v. Daniels, 187 Ill. 2d 301 (1999), Kenyon v. Com., 37 Va. App. 668 (2002).)

However, dismissals are sometimes "with prejudice." A dismissal with prejudice means the prosecution can't ever re-file charges; a dismissal without it means the opposite

IDK

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT