ADVERTISEMENT

Thank You Michael Vick

lucustookis

All-American
Jul 7, 2007
MV1 retires from the NFL and makes it official. MV! was an incredible asset to VT and was 1 of the 2 or 3 primary factors that put Virginia Tech on the national map. MV1 was the most gifted college QB that I have seen. He completely changed the game of American Football at both the collegiate and NFL levels. Lamar Jackson is solid, but he's no Vick. The only QB I witnessed in college football that was Vick like before Vick was Major Harris at West Virginia, who I still feel is one of the most underrated college QB's to ever play the game. Vick was special. The most important attribute of Michael Vick that is enthralled in American culture is getting back up. The classic "Rocky" story. Michael Vick went through hell and back and deservingly so. His own actions caused his initial demise and he admitted that. He also got back up. He paid his debtors monetarily and by serving time incarcerated. He did everything and then some that was not just asked of him after he was out of prison, but he became a solid citizen and a great person. Thank you Michael Vick for everything!

P.S. Does anyone really like Pitbulls? I don't. I wish we could eradicate them all, kind of like Muslims. If it were cocker spaniels, pugs, or black labs, it would have been tougher for me to get over, but hey man.......it's just pit bulls. Folks, relax, I am kidding. I am an animal lover and like all animals. However, I am serious on the Muslim part. I actually feel pretty strong about that one.

Cheers and go Patriots,

Wow Lucus you are out of line about Muslims and I hope you edit your post.

Vick was the best athlete to ever play QB in college IMO and he and Beamer put VT on the map.

I am a Muslim. How could you have so much hate to say that? That is so cruel.

Wow.....read this last night, just knew you would edit it after you sobered up. Guess I was wrong....

Par for the course with lucus.

I have always admired Vick's football skills (which were ridiculous), and I just wish he was a better person off the field during his early life. I hope things work out for him in the future.

Wow.... does not even describe that ignorance of that post.

I love that. The old "if you disagree with em, call em ignorant." I have always wonder what you do when someone has an Ivy League education with an IQ approaching 150. Are they still ignorant if you disagree with them? LOL. I stand by the post. No editing here. The world would be a BETTER place if there were no Muslims. That's a fact. That's common sense. It is what it is. Did I write that people should TRY to eradicate Muslims? No. Of course not. I did write that......I wish they weren't here. Since the book of Genesis, that group has had problem, after problem, after problem and when it temporarily doesn't have a problem, it creates one. One group has created so much world instability for years and years and years. Common sense tells me.....if you have one group that creates and overwhelming amount of problems compared to all other groups since civilization started, then the world would probably be BETTER off without that group. Again, common sense tells me that. Hatred? I don't hate Muslims or have hatred in my heart. I am simply giving a macro-opinion that is equivalent to a sociology driven equation.

P.S. Thanks Michael Vick.

hoos19, If I were you it would give me great lasting pride that Loonystookis thinks so little of me. I am truly jealous and aspire to be you, (except for the Hoo part).

Reactions: Hoos19NC
I saw MV in high school. What drove him is being only the second best qb in district, 2nd best in region, 2nd best in state. He was driven by Ronald Curry, who was greatest high school athlete I ever saw. MV ended up being the greatest college athlete I ever saw. By playing 2nd fiddle, Vick turned his 4.4 into a 4.18 by his redshirt year. His skinny 175 frame, into a chiseled 205 by his 1st start. If only Curry had gone to FSU, we would have seen the 2 greatest athletic qb's to ever hit the field in a national championship game.

I saw MV in high school. What drove him is being only the second best qb in district, 2nd best in region, 2nd best in state. He was driven by Ronald Curry, who was greatest high school athlete I ever saw. MV ended up being the greatest college athlete I ever saw. By playing 2nd fiddle, Vick turned his 4.4 into a 4.18 by his redshirt year. His skinny 175 frame, into a chiseled 205 by his 1st start. If only Curry had gone to FSU, we would have seen the 2 greatest athletic qb's to ever hit the field in a national championship game.
Ronald Curry shunned UVA at the last minute and went to UNCheat, I'm sure to take the fake classes. A beautiful stat is he never beat UVA as the QB at TarHole U.....screw Ronald Curry, give me VIc Hall in high school every time.

I recall a guy from Hampton area telling me that Vick would be a better college QB than Curry. This was at the All star game in Hampton, where both played for the East.

If Curry had gone to UVA, he probably would have been moved to defense.

Curry would have been much better at UVA, as their offense was more suited to his style. UNC was the worse choice as they had standard two back , te, 2 WRs set-up. He went to play bball at UNC. Curry was a bigger version of Charley Ward who won heisman at FSU. Curry was a much better thrower than Ward. Most never paid much attention as he tore has Achilles end of his freshman year, and lost a step in process. If he would have decided FSU and skipped basketball, I believe FSU would have won 3 NC's with him. Never seen a 15 year old throw 75 yards in the air like he did in high school.

You gave 1/2 of the truth, but the other part was left out. Why? Because you failed to discuss one key part. Ronald Curry was the number one ranked QB in America. Do you know what Michael Vick was ranked? He was the 5th ranked QB in America and also, a 5 star QB by Superprep. I am literally looking at the the Sporting News Magazine's 1998 summer college football edition as I am typing this. They used Superprep in their ranking system. What is often lost in the story is one key FALSE deduction and that is....

"Because Michael Vick was outranked by Curry in the district and the state of VA",<-------true statement, then automatically, many people deduce the following from the above statement......

"Vick was a very good High School QB, but not a nationally ranked top QB and Curry was the man, and if I had to guess, probably a 3 star out of High School."<-------this is a false deduction from the true statement above that is sadly, but commonly made. Fact is, Vick was a 5 star QB and the 5th ranked QB in the United States by Superprep. Did he outrank Curry? No, but guess what, neither did any other QB or player in the United States, and only 3 QB's in the country separated Vick from Curry's ranking. This is the part that is often left out.

Just the facts man,

You gave 1/2 of the truth, but the other part was left out. Why? Because you failed to discuss one key part. Ronald Curry was the number one ranked QB in America. Do you know what Michael Vick was ranked? He was the 5th ranked QB in America and also, a 5 star QB by Superprep. I am literally looking at the the Sporting News Magazine's 1998 summer college football edition as I am typing this. They used Superprep in their ranking system. What is often lost in the story is one key FALSE deduction and that is....

"Because Michael Vick was outranked by Curry in the district and the state of VA",<-------true statement, then automatically, many people deduce the following from the above statement......

"Vick was a very good High School QB, but not a nationally ranked top QB and Curry was the man, and if I had to guess, probably a 3 star out of High School."<-------this is a false deduction from the true statement above that is sadly, but commonly made. Fact is, Vick was a 5 star QB and the 5th ranked QB in the United States by Superprep. Did he outrank Curry? No, but guess what, neither did any other QB or player in the United States, and only 3 QB's in the country separated Vick from Curry's ranking. This is the part that is often left out.

Just the facts man,
Who quoted the last paragraph Lucus? I do not see "Vick was a very good High School QB, but not a nationally ranked top QB" statement. Guess my reading comprehension is low because I did not see that statement. My bad I guess.

Who quoted the last paragraph Lucus? I do not see "Vick was a very good High School QB, but not a nationally ranked top QB" statement. Guess my reading comprehension is low because I did not see that statement. My bad I guess.

Well, your reading comprehension is your deal, not mine or anyone else's business. You are 100% correct that the poster that I quoted never wrote, ""Vick was a very good High School QB, but not a nationally ranked top QB." You would also be correct in understanding that.......I never wrote or stated the poster did state such a thing. What I wrote was........to sum it up

1. To the poster- I mentioned to him that he was correct in his Vick assessment, but he left out the other portion about Vick still being a top-nationally ranked QB.

2. To the audience or everyone else- I wrote of the general theme that the poster I responded to, and the general theme across the state and country is the following....."Vick was a good High School QB, but the guy in his district was better."<<----this is often where the story is dropped off not just by what the poster wrote, but generally by a large (certainly not all) but a large consensus of people across not just the state, but the country. I have lived in many, many states, and have traveled throughout and I can tell you of AT LEAST 15 different Vick conversations of the years throughout the country where the "prevailing thought" was the exact same theme above. Words or statements I gave or quoted are one's I've heard many times about Vick. It's not that people are "bad" or "stupid," they just simply don't know the entire story of his High School Recruitment and his status as a High School QB ASIDE from Ronald Curry. For example, ask people (general college football fans across America) what they think Vick was ranked as ......as a High School QB and you would like receive alarmingly much lower than average rankings of their perception of him compared to how high he was ranked as a QB. This was my overall point to the poster and to the audience based on one guy's experience.

In conclusion: There is no way to prove this and I'm simply giving my opinion based on experience,but if you could somehow poll every person in America that professes to be an avid college football fan and asked them what Michael Vick was ranked as a High School QB nationally by recruiting standards, the answers would include two key points......

..........the words Ronald Curry and Curry being the man in Hampton Roads at that time, and last point, they would guess that he was not nearly ranked as high as he actually was....which was.......a 5 star QB by Superprep and the 5th ranked QB in the United States. One other thing of note that is not related to this post, but is related to the poster I responded to and that is....Mike Goforth had 1 year of redshirt time to work with Vick in the gym and our strength and conditioning program at that time was on par with Nebraska and it was one of the key components for bringing our program to national prominence along with Frank Beamer, Michael Vick, and Bud Foster. Mike Goforth, behind the scenes, should be in that category.

Mike Goforth is the trainer for Hokie football , Mike Gentry was the strength and conditioning director . Coach Beamer agreed to Coach Reamon's request to redshirt #7 is why he signed here instead of Syracuse.

Mike Goforth is the trainer for Hokie football , Mike Gentry was the strength and conditioning director . Coach Beamer agreed to Coach Reamon's request to redshirt #7 is why he signed here instead of Syracuse.
Glad you were able to clear that mistake up for him Burg....

Glad you were able to clear that mistake up for him Burg....

No clearing up needed and I stand by the post. I graduated High School with Mike Goforth and he is a long time personal and family friend. I vaguely know Gentry. Have met him once through Goforth. Goforth and Gentry are synonymous like other strength and conditioning programs across the country. A trainer and strength and conditioning coach working side by side to make up the "strength and conditioning program." I mentioned Goforth because he started in 98 and took Vick under his wing. He basically spent 1 year with Vick everyday in the gym, along with Gentry which helped him gain the weight, strength, flexibility, and increased his athleticism. Our strength and conditioning program was good from the mid-late 80's when Gentry took over to the 90's, but Goforth put it over the top when he arrived in 98 and he helped make our program an elite one. The guy is super sharp and always had a high IQ, and he was innovative. He's the kind of guy that would be 5-7 years ahead in his field compared to the rest of his peers. Like I wrote earlier in the previous post, Mike Goforth is a huge piece in VT gaining national prominence.
P.S. I will search for a previous article from the "key play" they did a few years back with Michael Vick talking about Goforth and what Goforth did for his career. He puts Goforth up there with Beamer, and largely because of what he did for him that first redshirt year in Blacksburg. Let me search. I will post it shortly if I can find it.

P.S. You're welcome

However, I am serious on the Muslim part. I actually feel pretty strong about that one.

Just read this thread. Appalled, as I'm sure are many others.

You have a right to your opinion, but this is the wrong place for this type of hate. And if you speak of eradicating any group of people, that is hate language.

Skip the social issues, and focus on VT sports. That's the purpose of this site.

I'm not trying to say Vick wasn't a highly recruited and ranked qb coming out of high school. I agree, being 2nd ranked to Curry meant being at the top of the rankings overall. My point was the gap between Curry and Vick closed during his red shirt year and Vick ended up being one of the most dominant players to ever play in college football. Watching Vick play in NC game against FSU was like watching Curry play is a state championship game. Both were men playing with boys. I think what helped drive Vick was the outstanding work done by strength and conditioning program at Tech and having to listen for 2 years he was 2nd fiddle to Curry.

Most experts consider Curry to be second fiddle on the Peninsula during that era, behind Allen Iverson.
All I can say is there was a lot of talent in that area during those years.....all were very talented QB's and Athletes.

I'm new to this board but this seems unacceptable. Is there an an admin who monitors the posts who can ban this knucklehead from making any further hateful statements on here?

I cannot cosign this sentiment...

I do not like the idea of banning speech, regardless of how hateful some may view it. Better would be to make a reasoned argument as to why his conclusions are false and allow others to make a determination one way or another.

That said, I also know what the TOS states regarding personal conduct. So yeah, I can understand some action being taken.

REGARDING Vick, he was probably the most gifted athlete I ever saw play in college -- in any sport. I am not sure if he was a better athlete than Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, Wilt Chamberlain, or LeBron James... but he's in that general category.

I do not like the idea of banning speech, regardless of how hateful some may view it. Better would be to make a reasoned argument as to why his conclusions are false and allow others to make a determination one way or another.

You can't reason with hate. Can you really picture making a reasoned argument that eradicating human beings based on their religion is wrong?

You can't reason with hate. Can you really picture making a reasoned argument that eradicating human beings based on their religion is wrong?

I didn't say reason with him -- counter his statements and allow others to decide which side of the argument has merit. It becomes incredibly dangerous when we start banning speech. There is a very strong reason why the very first amendment deals with speech.

I didn't say reason with him -- counter his statements and allow others to decide which side of the argument has merit. It becomes incredibly dangerous when we start banning speech. There is a very strong reason why the very first amendment deals with speech.

This is a forum for a discussion about football, not a platform for making hateful, racist statements. Freedom of speech does not give someone a license to make denigrating comments about someone's religion or race,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT