ADVERTISEMENT

The team we lost badly to last week just canned their coach...

hokiemtc

Hokie Hall of Fame
Mar 29, 2002
...for underperforming...and ours is still here.

What's wrong with this picture?

The biggest difference to me is the recruiting. Miami has done less with much more.

Miami continued to get plenty of talent for their team with 4-5 star recruits while VT recruited 2-3 star players, with one or two 4 star recruits.

VT used to up-coach their average players and get move out of them.

That's a good point, but it raises a different question...why is a staff that is so horribly bad at recruiting (and always has been, despite 30 years of practice) still here?

What's wrong with this picture?

Looks like another top school looking for a coach at the same time VT and UVA will probably be looking....the more of the USC and Miami type schools are looking the lesser the chance we see a Fuente type coach at either of our schools.

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
I don't think UCF or Maryland either one is a job at a level above VT, although UM carrying the Big10 banner around carries quite a bit of weight unto itself, no matter how sorry the school is.

South Carolina (SEC), Miami (brand name, location, recruiting territory and tradition) and schools like that will always get the first choice of coaches over us, so those are the ones that we'll need to worry about taking away all the coaches. We're going to get their table scraps no matter what, and the bigger that pool gets, the less will be available for the rest of us.

The things UCF has over the U is better facilities, newer stadium that is what I am thinking.

I don't think UCF or Maryland either one is a job at a level above VT, although UM carrying the Big10 banner around carries quite a bit of weight unto itself, no matter how sorry the school is.

South Carolina (SEC), Miami (brand name, location, recruiting territory and tradition) and schools like that will always get the first choice of coaches over us, so those are the ones that we'll need to worry about taking away all the coaches. We're going to get their table scraps no matter what, and the bigger that pool gets, the less will be available for the rest of us.
I agree with UCF and Maryland not being on a level with VT that's why I didn't put them in my post. It will be very interesting to see who VT ends up with, pretty amazing how long Beamer has been the coach. Will they go for the big money established name....or try to find that upstart young gun at a more reasonable price.

The things UCF has over the U is better facilities, newer stadium that is what I am thinking.
This is probably all true, but UCF or VT neither one can touch the Canes' national brand recognition, which is what ultimately will sell a top coach to go there.

I'm hoping the Canes admins aim real low like they did last time and hire some unknown mid-major coach who's never coached in the big time before in his life. That worked out pretty good for us last time they did it.

I'm baffled you think south carolina is a better job. Even to a degree Miami. 1) the next coach at usuc will undoubtedly be fighting to be 4th in their division, very little hope to be in the upper tier in the next 2 yrs. 2) Miami, yes very strong brand, yes very fertile recruiting area. But, poor administration support, poor fan support, poor facilities and no on campus stadium. Now, VA tech.. good to great natural recruiting footprint in the tidewater region, really good tradition, good facilities and a very manageable path to Charlotte.. just my 2 cents

South Carolina is one of the 14 best coaching jobs in the country, period...even though they are not one of the 14 best programs. There's no coach with any kind of ego at all anywhere in the world that would turn down an SEC job for any reason, no matter who it was with. Plus, VT has lost a long, steady line of recruits to USC over the years, so it's pretty obvious to us who sits where in the pecking order with today's youths. If an USC commit ever changed his mind and picked VT instead, then this board would probably spontaneously combust. I think it almost happened once, but someone else with a better memory would have to provide the details.

As for Miami...yes they have some warts, but anyone going into the situation would have to already know about the admin support, the facilities, the evil fan base, etc...since that stuff is so regularly documented. But while I'm looking at those things, then I also see South Beach, the national title banners and the consistent top 10 recruiting hauls and realize that someone who really knows what they are doing could do some serious damage there. And yes, as a coach being considered for the job, then I would definitely think that I really knew what I was doing (they all do).

Realistically, VT is a start over from scratch kind of job right now. Not a lot of established coaches want that kind of project these days, because job security is so poor. I might be wrong on this one, but I think our problems probably run a lot deeper than just the idiot sitting in the press box calling plays, and I'm guessing that this turnaround might take a while. Coaches considering the job will probably know that, also.

Its crazy to think that every SEC coaching job is better than any other job in the country. There are plenty of coaches that would never trade a gig with an Ohio State (see Urban shunning Florida for the Buckeye's) or a Jim Harbaugh (leaving the 49's for Michigan) or Jimbo @ FSU or even Dabo @ Clemson leaving their schools to coach at Vanderbilt, South Carolina or Kentucky. That is clearly delusional.

The SEC had a great run fueled by all those NC's, but the last time I checked the ACC & Big 10 won the last two tittles and this year the SEC has only two teams in the top 10, less than the Big 10 with 3 and the same as the Big 12. Even the ACC has a team ranked higher than the SEC in the top 10 (Clemson @ 3).

Bret Beilema (Wisconsin), Les Miles (Michigan), Kevin Sumlin (Minnesota and Purdue) and Nick Saban (Michigan State and Michigan...I didn't even know that was possible) all say hello. And Urban didn't shun Florida for Ohio State, even though he's from Ohio originally.

This is just the current SEC coaches, and there are dozens more examples like this throughout history.

True, there are a few programs sprinkled around that have "their guy" who won't be moving for any reason (Beamer at VT, for example...Paterno at Penn St was another), but those coaches aren't staying put because they think their current job is better than an SEC job, but rather because they are just a perfect fit where they are and there's no reason to mess it all up by leaving.

Les miles wasn't a head coach @ Michigan, neither was saban(although he was @ sparty). Sumlin came from Houston, and I would wager that bret regrets his decision for a lateral move. South Carolina is not a top 14 job on any metric

Reactions: Cavgator
VT ranks as one of the top three openings in the USA at this point. USC is no.1 it's a tossup between us and the U for the next two slots.
USCe is defintely not as coveted as we are. UMd.,UCF,etc. same thing.
The U has reached a point in the FB world where they are dealing with an indiferent fan base. It just doesn't have the appeal it used to have. Jimmy Johnson commented on this a few weeks ago. Their position has eroded their swag is gone and it will take a real hire to bring it back. (Butch has expressed interest). Even then it will be a real task.

Miami just upgraded all sport facilities

The stadium is brand spanking new and will have a roof over it

Hope to god we make a solid hire.

Miami just upgraded all sport facilities

The stadium is brand spanking new and will have a roof over it

Hope to god we make a solid hire.

There are some blind, biased, SEC homers on this site. Check the coaching history at SC, Vandy, and Kentucky and tell me how many coaches buried their careers at those three schools. Almost all of them over the past 30-40 years. You cannot compare Alabama, LSU, etc. to the low tier jobs where young guys go only to kill their careers.

Reactions: Uswagpak
There are some blind, biased, SEC homers on this site. Check the coaching history at SC, Vandy, and Kentucky and tell me how many coaches buried their careers at those three schools. Almost all of them over the past 30-40 years. You cannot compare Alabama, LSU, etc. to the low tier jobs where young guys go only to kill their careers.

Its about time you got move on from beamer, and to be honest you guys can get a big time coach.

Athlon did an article in their 2010 preseason magazine ranking the best to worst jobs in the country. This was based on size of the program, funding, recruiting. etc. Top 5 were Texas, USC, Florida, Alabama, and Ohio State in that order. Miami was ranked 13th, and Va Tech 19th. What is interesting is that Clemson was ranked 21st, South Carolina 26th, and UVa 45th. The rating included recruiting base or area that the programs can work with, and considering that UVa is so close to 757 area, this was quite a statement about how lowly rated that job is, at least in the eyes of Athlon writers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT