ADVERTISEMENT

To those who think BigTime college football is nothing but the money:

If you go back and take the time to read this thread you will see that we are very honest about how good we were and very proud of our team. No-one is trying to discredit anything but this post.

I believe VT has a good chance of winning the coastal, you don't play either FSU or Clemson.....the UNC game will be big for the tiebreaker and ND will be tough but a very favorable schedule overall. UNC has FSU but no ND. It looks like VT got the better draw with BC on your schedule compared to UNC's. But you never really know how the middle of the pack teams will be each year until the season starts.

I have never seen a fan base try so hard to discredit an era of consistent winning football that most fans would be tickled to death with.

I haven't seen anyone doing that at all. Which posts are you referring to?

The only thing that has been thoroughly discredited in this thread by nearly everyone who has replied to it is the notion that VT was elite, because we weren't.

I believe VT has a good chance of winning the coastal, you don't play either FSU or Clemson.....the UNC game will be big for the tiebreaker and ND will be tough but a very favorable schedule overall. UNC has FSU but no ND. It looks like VT got the better draw with BC on your schedule compared to UNC's. But you never really know how the middle of the pack teams will be each year until the season starts.

Good point 19. The hanger is we don't know how long it's going to take to get Fu's system down pat. We've got some talent on this team we just need to shore up some D holes and we should be OK.
You know there are so many games on out card that could go either way. We could end up anywhere from 5-7 to 9-3 or who knows even better.

I haven't seen anyone doing that at all. Which posts are you referring to?

The only thing that has been thoroughly discredited in this thread by nearly everyone who has replied to it is the notion that VT was elite, because we weren't.

Crediting our wins to "racking up wins in the sub par Big East" and entering an ACC when FSU and Clemson werent great isnt discrediting? This is something opposing fans or jealous fans are suppose to say about us. Yeah maybe the BE wasnt as tough as the curent day SEC west but we still had rivals in WVU, Miami, BC, Syracuse etc..and those teams had some good seasons and talent. Also, those ACC teams might have been "down" but its their own damn fault, their rosters were still stacked with much more talent and with each having a National Title that makes them "elite" and we come in and took over their conference doing "more with less" and alot of Hokie pride.

IMO, we were "elite". If not, then Im not so sure we ever will be. You cant go back and duplicate the history of a Notre Dame, Michigan, Alabama or USC and we dont have the leisure of geographical recruiting hotbed the likes of a Florida or a Texas or a LSU.

Just my opinion dont mean to piss anyone off. Its July. Too hot to fish. Im bored and cant wait til kickoff.

Crediting our wins to "racking up wins in the sub par Big East" and entering an ACC when FSU and Clemson werent great isnt discrediting? This is something opposing fans or jealous fans are suppose to say about us. Yeah maybe the BE wasnt as tough as the curent day SEC west but we still had rivals in WVU, Miami, BC, Syracuse etc..and those teams had some good seasons and talent. Also, those ACC teams might have been "down" but its their own damn fault, their rosters were still stacked with much more talent and with each having a National Title that makes them "elite" and we come in and took over their conference doing "more with less" and alot of Hokie pride.

IMO, we were "elite". If not, then Im not so sure we ever will be. You cant go back and duplicate the history of a Notre Dame, Michigan, Alabama or USC and we dont have the leisure of geographical recruiting hotbed the likes of a Florida or a Texas or a LSU.

Just my opinion dont mean to piss anyone off. Its July. Too hot to fish. Im bored and cant wait til kickoff.

I hold to the belief that all Hokies love their FB team. I may not agree with you but if you believe that we were an elite team at any point in our history then I would say you have the right to that belief.

Speaking of Hokies loving their football, I just remembered that during that era alot of sources voted Lane stadium the most intimidating place to play on the road and our "Enter Sandman" was seen as the most electrifying entrance in college football by many. That says alot about how the rest of college football viewed the program.
Also, few teams have dominated their in-state rival the way we have. True, UVA has been up and down but even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. No other team that I can think of has dominated their rival the way VT has.

entering an ACC when FSU and Clemson werent great.

Yea I don't get it either.

I recall losing the national championship to an undefeated Auburn at the end of the 2004 season by 3 pts, in that first year in the ACC when "FSU and Clemson were down". I don't count USC's fake nc that year.

I recall being #5 WVU's only loss of the 2005 season, a convincing one that ruined their chance to play in the nc, although they ended the season beating a highly ranked sec team in a bowl; we ended the season whipping #15 Louisville in a bowl, in that 2nd acc season when "FSU and Clemson were down".

I recall in 2006, we went 10-2 with Glennon at qb and the #1 defense. We'll never know what could have been with Marcus Vick at qb that year. Probably much better, but again, likely because "FSU and Clemson were down"

I recall the end of the 2007 season losing to a one loss #7 Kansas team by 3 pts in the bowl probably because "FSU and Clemson were down".

We lost twice to Clemson in 2011; but still made it to the sugar bowl and lost by 3 pts to #9 Michigan; which we likely would have won if not for Beamer's crazy decisions.

I don't think FSU and Clemson being down is why we were up. We just happen to be down now for several yrs consecutively while they are up.

Reactions: 1bburgfan
Yea I don't get it either.

I recall losing the national championship to an undefeated Auburn at the end of the 2004 season by 3 pts, in that first year in the ACC when "FSU and Clemson were down". I don't count USC's fake nc that year.

I recall being #5 WVU's only loss of the 2005 season, a convincing one that ruined their chance to play in the nc, although they ended the season beating a highly ranked sec team in a bowl; we ended the season whipping #15 Louisville in a bowl, in that 2nd acc season when "FSU and Clemson were down".

I recall in 2006, we went 10-2 with Glennon at qb and the #1 defense. We'll never know what could have been with Marcus Vick at qb that year. Probably much better, but again, likely because "FSU and Clemson were down"

I recall the end of the 2007 season losing to a one loss #7 Kansas team by 3 pts in the bowl probably because "FSU and Clemson were down".

We lost twice to Clemson in 2011; but still made it to the sugar bowl and lost by 3 pts to #9 Michigan; which we likely would have won if not for Beamer's crazy decisions.

I don't think FSU and Clemson being down is why we were up. We just happen to be down now for several yrs consecutively while they are up.

There's only one win mentioned in this entire post.

And that, my friends, was the problem with the Hokies under Beamer's watch.

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave

Can't say I disagree. But I will say there were several factors that contributed to losing so many big games by just a few points under Beamer. In a nutshell, I think he's just too nice of a person. I'll always love him for that though.

:eek:
Thank Goodness FSU and Clemson were down back then.....

Wish they weren't so damn good now! The preseason polls have Clemson #2 and FSU #4. We play both of them and...
#9 Notre Dame
#19 UNC-CHeat
#24 Miami
#25 Louisville

Wish they weren't so damn good now! The preseason polls have Clemson #2 and FSU #4. We play both of them and...
#9 Notre Dame
#19 UNC-CHeat
#24 Miami
#25 Louisville
The good news is that the ACC has a snowball's chance in hades of still having 6 ranked teams by the time you play these guys. I think the top 3 will stick. Everyone else is just waiting on week 1 so that they can prove they don't belong.

Even so, good thing you guys scheduled a bunch of nobodies OOC, huh?

That's my point exactly. No one has said VT isn't a really good team and had some great years but all games he mentioned were nearly all losses. If we had won those, then we could be talking about taking to elite status. Some don't like facts on here.

If VT can lock down the 757 and keep most (not all) of Virginias talent here then the talent will be as good as anywhere. Virginia elite talent is as good as Florida elite talent or Georgia or California or Texas. A lot of those 3 stars Beamer and Co built their rep off of were well above their rating by recruiting services. Virginia talent is as good as anywhere. Just seems players from here love to leave the state for some reason.

If VT can lock down the 757 and keep most (not all) of Virginias talent here then the talent will be as good as anywhere. Virginia elite talent is as good as Florida elite talent or Georgia or California or Texas. A lot of those 3 stars Beamer and Co built their rep off of were well above their rating by recruiting services. Virginia talent is as good as anywhere. Just seems players from here love to leave the state for some reason.
They leave because they don't see either school as being elite football programs....hopefully new coaches will change that perception.

Notre Dame...OOC games.
Seriously? OK, someone might need to explain to me how exactly Notre Dame ended up in the ACC and what their role here is.

Notre Dame is a nice OOC opponent...and I can't stand them, so I definitely wish you guys good luck in that game.

Its not a "quality" issue, its a "quantity" issue. The Virginia elite talent is as good as anywhere, there just isnt as much of it as Florida, Georgia, Texas, California.
Few programs can lock down their states elite talent. Half of the state of Floridas current top 10 talent is headed out of state, including one to Maryland. If Miami, FSU and UFlorida cant lock down the state of Floridas elite talent how can VT be expected to lock down Virginias?
Besides, wouldnt a better plan be to implement systems and recruit the best suited talent nationwide with an emphasis on instate talent? What a evaluation service scout calls a 5star talent or a 3star talent may not apply to a Bud Foster defense or a Fuentes offense.

Correct not all 5* players work out as elite players. But u have a better shot with them than all 3*. Think Saban is loading up with the 18th overall class with 19 3*s in it? And we usually have at least 2 in our state. When was our last one - out of state fuller who was coming here if he had lived in Minnesota.

Correct not all 5* players work out as elite players. But u have a better shot with them than all 3*. Think Saban is loading up with the 18th overall class with 19 3*s in it? And we usually have at least 2 in our state. When was our last one - out of state fuller who was coming here if he had lived in Minnesota.

At this point I would just be happy to keep all of the 3stars from transferring and the 4stars from decomitting!

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT