ADVERTISEMENT

TOSU suspends 4 for first game including stud lineman Bosa

It's not people saying anything about the Big 10(2), it's one poster. And if you think you can win an argument against HR6, then you're in for a huge reality check and disappointment.

Thanks. I'm new to the board and will keep that in mind. BTW, the game should be a good one. The three games that really have me worried this year is the opener against you guys at your place, MSU, and of course Michigan (for the obvious reasons). Anyone that states the OSU's path to the playoffs again is easy, well, they don't have a clue. Too much parity in CF anymore which is why it's rare to see an undefeated team

Yeah don't worry about HR6, he's got a screw loose. The opener against VT should tell you a lot, I doubt you'll face a better defense all year. You may also not face a worse offense.

Yeah don't worry about HR6, he's got a screw loose. The opener against VT should tell you a lot, I doubt you'll face a better defense all year. You may also not face a worse offense.

No need to go bashing on HR6 - he may not call it the way a lot of people do, but he loves the Hokies and hates cheaters. He's been consistently loyal and passionate for VT for years.

VT could play football under-water in the Artic Ocean, and he'd say we're still the best team not named Alabama.

"The opener against VT should tell you a lot, I doubt you'll face a better defense all year."

And your defense is what has me worried. It always seems to be solid (along with your special teams).

Question for anyone: How much longer do you think Beamer stays as your HC ? Seems like he's been at VT forever.

"The opener against VT should tell you a lot, I doubt you'll face a better defense all year."

And your defense is what has me worried. It always seems to be solid (along with your special teams).

Question for anyone: How much longer do you think Beamer stays as your HC ? Seems like he's been at VT forever.

I think the general consensus is that he'll retire after the 2016/17 season (next year). The "Battle at Bristol" is going to be a legendary game and a great way to go out on a high note for someone that grew up in the area. He'll have 30 years at VT.

The only caveat I would make is if the program is peaking next year, I could see him staying on one more season to reach 300 career wins (27 more) - that's an incredible accomplishment.

Last edited:
I think the general consensus is that he'll retire after the 2016/17 season (next year). The "Battle at Bristol" is going to be a legendary game and a great way to go out on a high note for someone that grew up in the area. He'll have 30 years at VT.

The only caveat I would make is if the program is peaking next year, I could see him staying on one more season to reach 300 career wins (27 more) - that's an incredible accomplishment.
Getting 300 wins would be a great accomplishment for sure. Anyone old enough to remember VT football before Beamer knows what an incredible job Beamer has done.

"Getting 300 wins would be a great accomplishment for sure. Anyone old enough to remember VT football before Beamer knows what an incredible job Beamer has done."

Good Lord, I didn't realize he was closing in on 300 wins ! Wow ! Well, I'll be pulling for him to get that 300....hope he wins out except, of course, against the Buckeyes :)

If you ask any college football fan with any kind of knowledge to name the one person they immediately think of when VT is mentioned, 99% would say Frank Beamer. Definitely put you guys on the college football map, BIG-TIME

Reactions: VTHokie1001K

Our offense has me worried. Did a great job last year of controlling time of possession 33:30 to 26:30. Kept the D rested and refreshed. Has to do the same this year.

Who beats who in a bowl game is very mis-leading most years. Some teams "get up" for bowl games, and some do not. The long layoff between regular season and bowl game in January, affects some teams more than others. Some team are not good at bowl preparation, some are.
I can see Baylor not getting up for a bowl game last season after getting screwed by selection committee.

Wow this is some thread. Lot of good rationale. And some rather bias things a swell. Just a few thoughts:
1. VT actually won the game by beating OSU. All that what you had and what we had is great but VT won the game.
2. OSU should have won the game. They had a lot more talent then VT and God knows they had the depth. Heck, your new QB had more D1 time then ours.
3. VT won the game because OSU got out coached. I kept wondering during the game when OSU was going to make a few changes that would have made all the difference in the world in the outcome.,but they didn't. A real head scratcher.
4. I do not believe for one minute that Urban is not going to know exactly what should have been done in that game last season when we meet in a few weeks.
5. FSU got into that playoff because they were undefeated and I believe because they were champs the prior year. I can't help but feel that the selection committee knew that they were not the best pick.
6. Good ole HR. Got to disagree with you on Big 10 conference strength. Also, I would like to see us play more big 10 schools.
7. Win or lose the Hokies will show up to play OSU. Go Hokies.

Leeanderthal:

Great post but I would like to add to #2.

While I agree with you that "on paper" the Buckeyes had more talent and depth than VT, I might also add that at that point in the season it was underdeveloped talent. I also agree that we (the Buckeyes) just flat plain got out-coached and were not ready last year for the defensive schemes that VT threw at them - kudos to Beamer and his staff. Even Urban admitted getting out-coached.

But, since I've been critical of our staff in last year's VT game, I must also add that I've been a fan/following the Buckeyes since the early 60s (yes, I'm old) and the turn-around by the Buckeyes was by far the best coaching job I've witnessed ever by an OSU staff. That same OL that gave up 7 sacks to you guys and at times looked like a dam& jail break, later ripped and shredded the DLs of Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon. Their performance against Alabama was the one that really shocked most of us. The blew holes in that 8 to 9 man deep, NFL type DL to the tune of 280+ yards rushing. I think more than anything, the so-called attitude that they were inferior to SEC teams really stoked their fire going into the Alabama game. They wanted a piece of Saban and Alabama's a$$ real, real bad. You saw it in the TV interviews here in Columbus. They weren't cocky about it but definitely left the impression that they weren't in awe of Alabama by any means and could play with them. I think Urban was really, really looking forward to that game especially with all of the SEC BS about him leaving Florida due to wanting to get away from Saban. He!!, we had a lot tougher games in the BIG 10 last year (a few nail-biters) than we had in the Playoffs.

Which brings me to our game in a few weeks. I just hope the Buckeyes don't get complacent and takes your game for granted being the defending NCs. I think that's my biggest fear. If we do, you guys have the talent and DEFINITELY COACHING staff to beat us again this year. Should be a heck of a game.

As a fellow Buckeye fan I concur with pretty much everything R150 said.

I agree with the complacency thing for the overall season, but going into the Va Tech game I worry more about the opposite, I think OSU players may be going in wanting or worse, expecting to make a statement. They're going to want to dominate offensively and defensively.

First of all, as I'm sure the Hokie fans will say, their players may have something to say about that. Secondly, just like a boxer looking for the knockout in a fight, or a baseball player swinging for the fences, taking such a mindset often ends up with losing that fight or striking out. If OSU is looking to beat down VT they could easily end up losing.

Leeanderthal, we could go back and forth on which team last year had the least experience. While Barrett may have had more time as a D1 player, he redshirted his freshman year and was out most of his senior year in highschool with a torn ACL, so the Va Tech game was only his second time in game action in nearly three years.

Similarly, the offensive line had the second fewest starts in D1 football the night of the game and included two converted defensive lineman.

Regardless, your coaches certainly came up with a better game plan to attack OSU's youth than vise versa. More importantly the Hoakies executed that game plan.

R1950, Thank you for the comment. I too am a long term fan of my school. My ex brother inlaw is an OSU grad. I saw Archie break the NCAA rushing record against UNC. Daughter lived in Worthington.
Our O last year ended up 95'th in the D1. I would have gladly traded our O line for yours but in that game everything worked. God willing we will be better this year.

Those lunch pails are almost impossible to find . I looked for one last year to use as a practical joke on someone and could find not one.

Last edited:
Those lunch pails are almost impossible to find . I looked for one last year to use as a practical joke on someone and could not one.

If VT's engineering department can build autonomous cars, then you would think they could figure out a way to help out and fix the dents in the lunch pail.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT