ADVERTISEMENT

Va Tech Offenses Numbers the best since 2000

Aug 16, 2013
Total Yards Ranking was 22nd in America. That is by far the highest since the 1999 and 2000 season, or to put it another way, the best since a decade and a half. The 2003 season had a total O ranking of 38th and since 2000, the VT offense has only cracked the top 50 in total O a total of 4 times. Coincidence? What are the odds that the coaching changes just by chance happen on a given year and it just happens to be the highest ranked O at VT in 16 years? Point being........it exposes VTs old offensive system coaching failures, and more important it sheds light on a bright future.

Here are some more stats. Per football outsiders, this VT O ranks 52nd in efficiency which is the second highest at VT since Football Outsiders started.

Defensively, we rank 20th in the nation per football outsiders in defensive efficiency, but we are 36th in total defense (yds per game allowed...which is not as good as Fosters overall average, yet still not bad.

I think the numbers above shed light on optimism and a bright future for VT football. For a first year coach and probably the least talented VT team on paper and by recruiting standards since 1992ish, it is truly remarkable what this coach and his staff have accomplished.

P.S. The numbers above also support my opinion held in the past starting with my kicking and screaming of a needed coaching change offensively since 2007. The numbers support the fact that our offensive system was inept compared to the overwhelming majority of other FBS programs and our previous Head Coach (who I still love) allowed it to continuously be inept.

The above numbers are facts and the interpretation of the above are only one guy's opinions.

Last edited:
Is that Lucus? LOL. I agree and was an ardent supporter of changing the offensive coaching staff. Hopefully, the recruiting trail will get better and we will improve more.

And this was done with a 1st year player at QB. Under the old regime, it took a 3 or 4 year starter before the offense could really move the ball. A new QB in the old system was almost a guaranteed triple-digit-ranked offense.

Is that Lucus? LOL. I agree and was an ardent supporter of changing the offensive coaching staff. Hopefully, the recruiting trail will get better and we will improve more.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering and I think this is a cross-post from a TSL subscriber article (I don't have a subscription there anymore so I don't know, but there's a write-up on their front page about the same exact thing).

I think with Fuente that's the real wild card here. Can he recruit? It's hard to really gauge that considering his only head coaching experience is a three-year stint at Memphis and now one year at VT. I love the results, and he's proven he can compete with the best talent in the country (narrowly lost to Clemson, beat Ole Miss last year), but we're going to need to recruit top talent to really turn the corner here. But hey, that's still better than what we had the last 5-6 years where the cupboards were bare IRT talent and the coaching from Frank on down was atrocious. At least now we have an excellent coach who knows his shit.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering and I think this is a cross-post from a TSL subscriber article (I don't have a subscription there anymore so I don't know, but there's a write-up on their front page about the same exact thing).

I have not read TSL in 4 years, and haven't posted there in 10 years. The research I did was easy. I went to Football Outsiders as I mentioned in the post. As for the total yards ranking, I went to NCAA Stats. It took 5 minutes. As for offensive efficiency, it is no coincidence that TSL may have had an article on it. It's the fashionable trend in college and pros, and especially the football outsiders website which is very unique and gauges offenses and defenses by efficiency.

As for my posting and writing style, nothing has changed for me other than 2 things. I live in Russia 9 months of the year and the offensive system has changed at VT with CFB and Stiney gone. I still give a big opinion and try to give supporting factual evidence to support it. That hasn't changed. My intent with coming on HokieHaven years ago was for one reason in which I would openly and honestly admit to many times, and this was a small attempt to do one person's part at changing the offensive culture at VT. Now that this has been done, I post dramatically less. I also have much less time.

Finally, I feel my part in getting the offensive culture changed at VT was 1 in a gazillion other parts of why it happened, but that's OK with me and the other 10s of thousands of other VT fans that played their small part. It all came together and change was done for the good. My posting wasn't popular largely because it was an opinion early on that was unpopular. Removing VTs golden boy of offense was not cool in 2007. Even then, I would try to give some factual data to support my opinion. The recent post is no different, yet it is fashionable because Coach Fu is popular and VT fans know the offense is dramatically different. We all already knew this long before the post I recently gave, yet I just gave some factual statistical data to shed light on how much it truly has changed for the better.

Reactions: no.15
I have not read TSL in 4 years, and haven't posted there in 10 years. The research I did was easy. I went to Football Outsiders as I mentioned in the post. As for the total yards ranking, I went to NCAA Stats. It took 5 minutes. As for offensive efficiency, it is no coincidence that TSL may have had an article on it. It's the fashionable trend in college and pros, and especially the football outsiders website which is very unique and gauges offenses and defenses by efficiency.

As for my posting and writing style, nothing has changed for me other than 2 things. I live in Russia 9 months of the year and the offensive system has changed at VT with CFB and Stiney gone. I still give a big opinion and try to give supporting factual evidence to support it. That hasn't changed. My intent with coming on HokieHaven years ago was for one reason in which I would openly and honestly admit to many times, and this was a small attempt to do one person's part at changing the offensive culture at VT. Now that this has been done, I post dramatically less. I also have much less time.

Finally, I feel my part in getting the offensive culture changed at VT was 1 in a gazillion other parts of why it happened, but that's OK with me and the other 10s of thousands of other VT fans that played their small part. It all came together and change was done for the good. My posting wasn't popular largely because it was an opinion early on that was unpopular. Removing VTs golden boy of offense was not cool in 2007. Even then, I would try to give some factual data to support my opinion. The recent post is no different, yet it is fashionable because Coach Fu is popular and VT fans know the offense is dramatically different. We all already knew this long before the post I recently gave, yet I just gave some factual statistical data to shed light on how much it truly has changed for the better.
Hey Lucus - are you going to participate in the Games 2 Winter? Just so happens it is for nine months. LOL

Lucus - I don't know if you remember MoneyGirl but she and I were going to meet to set up an organization to try to influence and force change. Sadly that never happened with the strange circumstances of her disappearance.

Nice research, but total yards seems like a misleading stat since teams like VT that played a conference title game have an extra game to count for the yardage. Before the ACC title game, VT was in the 40s in total yardage.

You mentioned being at 22nd in total yards is "by far" the best since 1999 and 2000, but the 2010 team finished 27th in total yards (41st in total offense) and the 2011 team finished 24th (35th in total offense).

That being said, I agree with you that the future looks bright for VT football. Fuente was a great hire, and we should all be excited about having him as our coach. Not only on the field, but off the field as well. He is a class act and a very, very good football coach.

Time will tell how far he can take us. I do worry that if we do not recruit better, we will have a hard time getting back on top of the ACC and into major bowl games. I understand he has only been here a year, but it is important to close this year's recruiting with some key "gets", and have a top 20-25 class with 2 or 3 difference makers next year.

The difference making recruits are the key. We were successful in the past with recruiting classes in the 20s because we always had a few difference makers in there. I would rather have a class with three 4 star guys who are difference makers than a class with six or seven 4 star guys who are not. So, let's hope we get them.

Reactions: 1bburgfan
Lucus - I don't know if you remember MoneyGirl but she and I were going to meet to set up an organization to try to influence and force change. Sadly that never happened with the strange circumstances of her disappearance.

I do remember her well. That was very sad if it were true regarding an auto accident as her cause of death. I guess the question was whether she was a real person, a female, and simply not a fake. I agreed with her in most points. I am hopeful that MoneyGirl was somebody messing around, because the alternative, if true was/still is very tragic and sad.

Nice research, but total yards seems like a misleading stat since teams like VT that played a conference title game have an extra game to count for the yardage. Before the ACC title game, VT was in the 40s in total yardage.

You mentioned being at 22nd in total yards is "by far" the best since 1999 and 2000, but the 2010 team finished 27th in total yards (41st in total offense) and the 2011 team finished 24th (35th in total offense).

That being said, I agree with you that the future looks bright for VT football. Fuente was a great hire, and we should all be excited about having him as our coach. Not only on the field, but off the field as well. He is a class act and a very, very good football coach.

Time will tell how far he can take us. I do worry that if we do not recruit better, we will have a hard time getting back on top of the ACC and into major bowl games. I understand he has only been here a year, but it is important to close this year's recruiting with some key "gets", and have a top 20-25 class with 2 or 3 difference makers next year.

The difference making recruits are the key. We were successful in the past with recruiting classes in the 20s because we always had a few difference makers in there. I would rather have a class with three 4 star guys who are difference makers than a class with six or seven 4 star guys who are not. So, let's hope we get them.
nice research

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT