ADVERTISEMENT

VT gets NIT Bid

Its better than no post season games, but alas, it ain't the big dance.

Question, what final ranking will the winner of the NIT have? 65th?

There are some NIT teams that are better than some teams in NCAA tournament. Heck VT has wins over 2 Top 10 teams.

I laughed....
Don't laugh. Pitt has one win all season over a ranked team (#15 Duke). How them and Syracuse (who's best win was over #18 UConn) made it into the tourney over a VT team with much better quality wins (#4 UVa and #7 Miami...and who finished higher in the conference than either one of the other options) shows you how badly broken the entire process is.

Apparently, who you beat meant very little to this selection committee compared to what name was written on the chest.

Reactions: salemfan32
Selection Committee was crooked as usual. Some guy on ESPN was talking about how high their integrity is. I laughed. Their integrity is very low.

St. Bonaventure a team we could easily meet in the NIT is another very good team that didn't make the big dance. I think that would be a very tough game for us but hey, what do I know? There are teams in the NCAA that probably could be beaten by any ACC team but the rules are the rules. If you win your conference you win it regardless of who you played.

We'll probably need 25 wins next year to barely squeak into the NCAA tourney as one of the last teams selected. And I'm not even joking.
You are right unless you change the weak OOC schedule, especially if you are going to lose to Alabama St. again. A couple of good wins doesn't cover up the bad loses....

The committee is so crooked, if we go undefeated and win ACC tournament, I am not 100% sure we get in. They put in who they want, regardless of good wins, bad wins, good losses or bad losses. Example: Syracuse

You are right unless you change the weak OOC schedule, especially if you are going to lose to Alabama St. again. A couple of good wins doesn't cover up the bad loses....
We've played challenging OOC schedules in the recent past and still got passed over...even with 23 overall wins and 10 ACC wins.

I don't see where any of that really matters.

Don't laugh. Pitt has one win all season over a ranked team (#15 Duke). How them and Syracuse (who's best win was over #18 UConn) made it into the tourney over a VT team with much better quality wins (#4 UVa and #7 Miami...and who finished higher in the conference than either one of the other options) shows you how badly broken the entire process is.

Apparently, who you beat meant very little to this selection committee compared to what name was written on the chest.

Yes, the name matters a lot. VT has benefitted from this in football by being selected to bowls ahead of other deserving teams.

Syracuse beat Texas A&M and won at Duke as well.

Pitt beat Syracuse 3 times (winning at Syracuse) and won at Notre Dame as well. Pitt also gamed the RPI by playing teams OOC with a RPI between 100-250. That is something we need to start doing instead of playing 7 teams below 250 which will kill the SOS. VT played a great ACC schedule, if our OOC was decent we would have a really high SOS number and better RPI and may have warranted consideration. VT's SOS and RPI numbers killed us and basically eliminated us from consideration.

If VT would have played and OOC schedule of Northwestern, Iowa State, West Virginia, UAB, Davidson, Old Dominion, JMU, William and Mary, Richmond, Fordham, UMass, Morehead State, and Wofford - they would have the SOS numbers that they need - given that they win 9 or more of these games.

There are def some NIT teams which are better than some tourny teams, but there is nothing wrong with that. It's not the best 64 teams. It's conference winners etc.....if it was the best 64 teams it would be loaded with BCS teams and it would take away from the whole Cinderella story aspect of it.

Regardless, VT didn't deserve to play in the tourney, if you think they did you are kidding yourself. I hate college basketball but the tourney has it right. Take the best of the BCS conference teams and pit them against the best of the rest and let them duke it out. VT just beat a pretty darn good Princeton team. Buzz has the kids playing well and I enjoyed watching that match up.

PS. Go Kansas.

Regardless, VT didn't deserve to play in the tourney, if you think they did you are kidding yourself
I'm fine with that statement, but if VT did not deserve to be invited to the tourney, then Pitt and Syracuse damn sure don't belong there. VT finished higher than both of those teams in the conference standings and had much better quality wins.

Regardless, nice win last night. Princeton didn't get a lot of respect from the basketball world this year (mainly because their conference was pretty bad), but no college basketball team ever gets to be 22-6 by sucking at what they do. When they started hitting some of those 3s in the 2nd half, they erased a pretty good deficit fairly quickly.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Syracuse has no business in tournament. Should not have even been in discussion. This alone proves lack of integrity by committee.

I laughed....

HR6's posts are usually ridiculous, but VT is easily better than probably half of the mid-major automatic bids in the field, and at least a handful of the at-larges. That's not to say I think we should have gotten in because our resume just simply isn't up to snuff. But by the end of the season, I think we were playing at the level of an NCAA team, and if not for the leads we lost @Syracuse and @ND in the final minutes, we would have been in easily. Hell, if we didn't lose to weak-ass Alabama St. to open the season we probably would have been on the bubble at 20-13.

We were not good enough when we started the season . We played a relatively weak OOC schedule to boot. It cost us dearly but that's the way it is. The NIT is a big step up from where we were and it will provide the experience of post season play .
To me it's all good . I am very proud of this team because they have improved to the point that they are capable of beating anyone and I think they have proven that.

If Hampton can upset UVA today, we will still be playing and Hoos will be done. I would love to see that happen, despite the odds.

I missed on that one. I thought Hampton would pull the upset. Now hopefully Butler can send boo hoos home with their heads hanging.

It seems like I remember HR6 predicted you would lose your spring game one year. He was actually right that time.

I recall when the Hoos cancelled Spring Game and had an Easter Egg Hunt instead. That's the way to build a program up.

Nice win for a team that shouldn't have been in the tournament.....LOL
Honestly, that was the best I've seen them look all year. Maybe the second chance gave them an opportunity to play with house money (no expectations)? When they are loose and flowing, they actually don't look half bad.

This boards ignorance of NCAA Men's basketball is showing. No way should VT have been in the tournament. You can always argue about a hand full of teams every year that should be either in or out (VT is not one of those this year). Also, I think having other ACC teams in the tournament and doing well will only help VT in the future. When we beat these same teams (Miami, Virginia and Pittsburgh or others) next year it should help our case for getting in. I think we would have been given serious contention if we had not lost to Alabama State and Northwestern this year (and would have been in if we could have also beaten either UNC, ND or Syracuse - all three winnable games). I hope we continue to improve and Buzz stays around for a few more years.

With our history with selection committee, I am not 100% sure an undefeated season would get us in. We have been shafted before.

With our history with selection committee, I am not 100% sure an undefeated season would get us in. We have been shafted before.
You didn't get shafted this year...with any improvement next year in the OCC and another good ACC year, I can't imagine VT not getting in.

This boards ignorance of NCAA Men's basketball is showing. No way should VT have been in the tournament.
I just re-read the entire thread and didn't see a single person that said we should have been.

How is that showing ignorance? Should we all say that we did belong in order to prove how smart we are?

A team we finished 3 seeds higher than in the regular season got a bid because of their name and has now advanced to the Sweet 16. I guarantee you that if VT had Syracuse's exact resume we would not have received that bid. I also suspect that Syracuse would have been a lock with our exact resume and our seed in the ACC.

Last edited:
A team we finished 3 seeds higher than in the regular season got a bid because of their name and has now advanced to the Sweet 16. I guarantee you that if VT had Syracuse's exact resume we would not have received that bid. I also suspect that Syracuse would have been a lock with our exact resume and our seed in the ACC.
I have to disagree....the difference was the OCC schedules, Syracuse beat Texas A&M and Connecticut and took Wisconsin to OT before losing and didn't lose to Alabama St. The OCC killed VT, they have got to play better teams and win some of those games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT