ADVERTISEMENT

VT Total O-44. Rush O-34. Total D-62

lucustookis

All-American
Jul 7, 2007
Through 3 games, the highest/best rated total O ranking since 2003. Before you reply about the weak competition, keep in mind the weak competition in years past such as James Madison, Furman, Western Kentucky, App State, W&M...etc. The point is, this is not the only year since 2003 that VT has played one solid team and two fairly weak teams in the first three weeks of the season. What is different? We still struggled a bit to move the ball against the bad teams COMPARED to this years not so good teams. The O ranks dramatically and statistically much higher/better. Is this a trend? Way to early to call it that with only this limited data set. Is this something noticeable? Yep. It is.

Reactions: Salemite
Through 3 games, the highest/best rated total O ranking since 2003. Before you reply about the weak competition, keep in mind the weak competition in years past such as James Madison, Furman, Western Kentucky, App State, W&M...etc. The point is, this is not the only year since 2003 that VT has played one solid team and two fairly weak teams in the first three weeks of the season. What is different? We still struggled a bit to move the ball against the bad teams COMPARED to this years not so good teams. The O ranks dramatically and statistically much higher/better. Is this a trend? Way to early to call it that with only this limited data set. Is this something noticeable? Yep. It is.
Could have just said the offense looks much better and I would have agreed. The oline particularly, but then again that would translate to nearly every other facet of offense. I'm happy with the play calling except for when Lawson came in in the second half.

I guess the proof will come against the ACC schedule. We really won't know until then. Ohio State did a pretty good job against our offense and I am not sure they have the best defense we will face this year (they had a couple of key players out for the game). I am cautiously optimistic with improved line play that our offense will be better. I am sure the defense will get better. Always does. If the offense improves as well then we could definitely have a 7-9 win season. That would be a step in the right direction and I welcome that.

I know that trick plays don't win games by themselves but throwing one or two in a game for a nice highlight replay does wonders for exposure. Fun to watch and the kids who want to play notice those things.

I am more concerned with the play of the defense... but I also know that things have been skewed statistically by Ohio State. The last time our offense was reasonably good our D suffered, and we endured a disappointing 8-5 season (2003) as a result.

Sacryd - I don't like your analogy and that of many. It is like saying that we can't have both a good offense and a good defense. Like they are inversely related or something. Why not have both a good defense like we normally do and do something abnormal like have a good offense.

I agree there are issues with the defense this year so far but I believe that Bud will right the ship. Last week wasn't too bad a showing for the defense even though they got burnt a couple of times. Mostly on the ground - the box was stacked and they got through the stack for a big play.

Sacryd - I don't like your analogy and that of many. It is like saying that we can't have both a good offense and a good defense. Like they are inversely related or something. Why not have both a good defense like we normally do and do something abnormal like have a good offense.

I agree there are issues with the defense this year so far but I believe that Bud will right the ship. Last week wasn't too bad a showing for the defense even though they got burnt a couple of times. Mostly on the ground - the box was stacked and they got through the stack for a big play.
When your recruiting is middle of the road, the O and D are going to veer toward being inversely proportional. Other than MV1 carrying the ball at QB, it's basically been this way for 2+ decades. Not to mention Frank's program is setup in a very lopsided manner to begin with.

Everyone's overjoyed the O has better stats than the D. Lol, same ol' "game management" O yah see out there. Not to mention the "chasing points" O that starts to look like a normal O only when VT is behind and has to play more aggressively or they lose anyway. VT had more O yds than ECU last Sat because ECU doesn't @^@$%^ around on O w/ the game management garbage...they just score, get it done, and are off the field.

Look at ECU's O last week flying around throwing caution to the wind and being aggressive and having fun. Then watch VT's... (hell watch VT's O vs most any team's O) and there is a stark contrast, even when VT's O is moving the ball. Hell, I'd bet VT'd have 750+ yards if they would count horizontal yds.

I call it the constraints of Frank...all this constrained structured O I'm tired of watching (and I'm sure players are tired of playing or recruits tired of seeing) to attempt to ensure greater success for the D (which ironically ain't working this year).

The Beamerball (O, D, and S/T's, all of it) methodology is not working like it used to.

This was the manner Frank used for years to exploit a weakness in football.
But it's becoming clear there are relatively few weaknesses to exploit anymore.
Now, if you don't recruit your ass off, you will revert to ~ .500 football like most other non-descript colleges with a football team.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT