ADVERTISEMENT

VT Vs. Cuse

RB4

Freshman
Mar 7, 2004
I think this team may have let the attention get to their heads just a bit.. They are just not use to it.. It may cost them what should be an easy game..

Yea.. I know they got away with 2 PIs on the same drive. Refs sucked.. but We got killed that first half at every position, on both sides of the ball.. They seem to be really uninspired to be honest.. They can really separate themselves in the coastal today and they are trying to blow it.. they really need a big 2nd half..

I don't think the attention is the issue. Bud Foster has historically struggled against wide-open offenses such as this and the simple fact is that Syracuse is executing offensively. Whenever we are getting pressure on Dungey with a 4-man rush, he is breaking up the middle for several yards as the linebackers are having to play deeper than they typically would.

Tech's offense just hasn't been able to put together a decent drive and the lack of a consistent running game is killing us. 3/10 on third down isn't going to get it done. We need to be able to get to 3rd and short to make things easier on ourselves. I'd like to see more QB rollout on first down with Evans having a green-light to run if something doesn't open up.

They are going 2 high safeties on defense and we can not run well enough the ball to make the change it. So they are taking our best playmakers out of the game.

Tech should go with press man and bring an extra rusher or two... we cannot allow this guy to pick us apart with such a large cushion and only 4 guys rushing.

I guess we were due for a stinker.

VT has been badly outcoached on BOTH sides of the ball in this game. I'm also not seeing the energy and enthusiam of the last few weeks, either.

Flat players. Flat coaching. Possibly a flat out loss.

Reactions: VT/UK Rondo
This has been the first game since the Tennessee game in which Tech has played from behind. Clearly it does not suit us well. The lack of significant adjustments from the defense is bewildering.

Welp, I think we can call this one fellas... hopefully we can recover in time to make a game of it against Miami on Thursday night.

boy that Defense is awfully soft to be a "top 5 D".. O is not doing any better but the Defense is getting beat... by syracuse.... wow.

Reactions: VT/UK Rondo
Game over. Dumbest damn gameplan I have EVER seen from Foster. So scared of the big play that we gave a banged up mediocre QB all day to throw against 3-4 man pressure and into10 yrd soft coverage? For the love of God Wake Forest sacked the guy 5 times last week. Bye-Bye ranking...hello upset of the day on ESPN every 15 minutes.

What a crap game and defense. Did Syracuse ever punt? The D gave up possession plays all day. Bad on both sides of the ball too. The Dome chamber of horrors continues.

I think the main factor in the game is VTs lack of talent. Are we more talented than Cuse? Yes, but not by much. Our last 4 years still matters, even today. Recruiting wise VT has finished the last four years on average behind Miami, UNC, Pittsburgh, and us and GT are dead even in recruiting. We simply do not have the players defensively and we play well defensively when we have emotion, but we can't win games by talent alone like we could many years ago.

I like Coach Fu and his staff, but today, we just got beat by a home team, a home crowd, and a team with far more emotion, and the overall talent gap with us and Cuse is actually not a whole lot. Defensively, we have nowhere close to the players we used to have. Our linebackers are mediocre and our defensive backfield is mediocre. Our front four is good. Overall, an average defense at best when no emotion is applied. At home, with Foster, and with emotion, we are good on D but far from excellent.

I am extremely disappointed with our linebackers and safeties ability to cover. They simply don't have the ability to get there. Its simply not their fault either. They just physically can't get there. This was exposed with the Syracuse hot route or in route 4 straight plays.

Offensively, our OL talent is above average and with many starts under their belts, they are good, but not great or excellent. At WR, our talent is below average. Your WR talent is judged by your top four W Rs in 2016s offensive age, not your top 2. I. Ford is very good, but not great. He's a late second to early third rounder. Cam Phillips is above average. After these two, we have a major falloff. B. Hodges is good, but not great. In the backfield, our RB talent is below average to bad. I am not sure why, but it's obvious that Mackenzie is our best back and our only explosive back, but I am not sure why he does not get to play. Maybe there are underlying issues.

Overall, with our coaching and add emotion at home, we are a good to very above average team. I think we are 8-4 to 7-5 at worst. Sure losses in my opinion are Pittsburgh ( I give us a ten percent chance) and Notre Dame (40 percent at most chance to win). Miami and Duke our toss ups and I think we have a 60 percent chance of winning both games. I think we go 8-4 and the Coastal still goes to VT as we will win the Tiebreaker over Pitt and UNC.

The above percentages and thoughts are simply one guys opinions. The percentages are certainly not facts.

The Coastal could be put away in my opinion in the next few weeks. If we beat Miami and somehow, some way beat Pittsburgh on the road, we win the Coastal even with a later loss to Duke. The problem is, I see Pittsburgh smacking us worse than the Cuse. We absolutely have no chance to cover their RB or WRs across the middle with our LB matchups. They will shred us. Miami has more talent than Pitt, but add the emotional factor and Blacksburg on a Thursday night and you have a nailbitingly close game.

Overall with our talent level and playing in at least the second best conference, 8-4 would be a solid coaching effort and would be playing above the level of talent and depth that we have. Add to that an ACC title game appearance and it's a solid effort by the players and coaches. In the Coastal, on the 85 scholly roster, we are 4th or arguably 5th most talented Coastal team behind Miami, UNC, Pittsburgh, and arguably, GT.

Only my opinions. The future is bright for VT football.

Not thrilled with today's performance but compared to the last few years I'll take what we have over what we had. We are headed in the right direction. recruit,recruit,recruit !

Running back is puzzling. Give McMillan 20 carries a game. Rogers is good player but he no D1 RB. Waste too many downs giving him the ball.

Syracuse ended up 30 of 55 for 405 yds and 2 TDs passing, and 45 carries for 156 yds and 2 more TDs on the ground.

561 total yards given up? To Syracuse?

This defensive "effort" was beyond pathetic. I hope this defensive stink bomb doesn't cost us the Coastal.

The O ended up with good yardage (468 total), but not enough points to show for moving the ball that well. The O needs to work on finishing drives next week.

Running back is puzzling. Give McMillan 20 carries a game. Rogers is good player but he no D1 RB. Waste too many downs giving him the ball.
Can't agree with you more. Every time Rogers runs, I find my self asking why the heck is he running that play. If we are going to run, we need to run with our best running back, not the worst. He is possibly the slowest back in the entire NCAA and almost never gets more than 2 yards and often not even that. Next thing you know, you are looking at 2nd or 3rd and 8 or 9 yards to get and pressure starts to build. McMillan and Shai ware clearly our best running backs and should be getting most of the carries.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT