ADVERTISEMENT

Well, Lightning can strike twice.

leeanderthal

Hokie Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2006
While I have already openly stated my disappointment in our current and prior OC's I should also step back a little when I make those comments. Why? Because they were both duly appointed to their positions by the same person. It is not their fault except that they chose to accept a job they were not qualified for.
The utter futility of this situation has been one for the ages. There is no logical reason for either of these gentlemen to have been put in this situation as there were a number of qualified OC"s in the world of FB at the time both of these appointments took place.
This has to be corrected.

While I have already openly stated my disappointment in our current and prior OC's I should also step back a little when I make those comments. Why? Because they were both duly appointed to their positions by the same person. It is not their fault except that they chose to accept a job they were not qualified for.
The utter futility of this situation has been one for the ages. There is no logical reason for either of these gentlemen to have been put in this situation as there were a number of qualified OC"s in the world of FB at the time both of these appointments took place.

We have had 1 OC since Bustle left. The OC is Bryan Stinespring. When Bustle left, the hiring of Stinespring as OC was NOT the downfall of the program. It was the KEEPING of Stinespring as OC in 2006. He had 5 full seasons to prove himself with pretty dang solid talent offensively and he failed compared to his peers. The KEEPING of him as OC for another 6 seasons was the PRIMARY REASON we are in this situation today, 2015. Those 6 seasons were ones in which not just me, but many people were beating the drum and sounding the whistle that recruiting on the offensive side of the ball was TURNING. There was a build up of High School Coaches in the State of Va who did not want to send their offensive players to Tech to play for Stinespring. I have written this many times and have first hand knowledge of over 5 coaches in the Richmond and Hampton Roads area of which are and have remained close friends. They not only did not like Tech's offensive system, they personally did not like Stiney. He was perceived as arrogant and "above the moment" and this from someone who had accomplished little while at Tech, and talking to some High School Coaches who were approaching legendary status and who had good backgrounds with VT historically.

Many on here have claimed that I personally have some issue with Stiney. I have no personal issue. What I do see and have said forever.......he is the primary issue with VT football's failure. Frank Beamer is equally responsible for keeping him. Our football situation is multi-factored in why we are struggling, but the biggest two reasons are the one I mentioned above (keeping him in 2006) and then in 2012ish, keeping him on staff and making him in charge of recruiting and allowing him to set beside the new OC (his boss) in the press box. This means....a change was NEVER made at VT on the offensive side of the ball.

To sum up VT's football problems in simple terms...
1. 2001ish, Stiney hired as OC. Bad choice, but something we could have overcame after 5 years.
2. 2006, Keeping Stiney and Coach Beamer actually blasting fans in interviews who challenged or questioned the offense.
3. 2006-2012. Even with Tyrod Taylor, disastrous offensive recruiting compared to 2000 through 2006 and a growing "anti-VT offense" attitude by many Va High School Coaches to include some moments where recruits actually pointed to our offensive system as a tipping point for not coming to VT. Percy Harvin was an example as was Boyd for Clemson as was Simms-Alabama.
4. 2012ish, Keeping Stiney on staff AGAIN after 11 years of proven failure as an OC compared to his peers, and bringing in Lefty who is fully controlled by Frank and Stiney.
5. 2012ish, Not only keeping Stiney, but making him the recruiting coordinator. The very face of distrust over the past 6 years perceived by many (not all, but many) High School Coaches in Va is now Head of Recruiting at VT.
6. 2011-12ish, the lack of talent offensively is in full effect coupled with the exact same offensive system since Bustle left and you now have 5 and 6 loss seasons.
7. 2013-Overall recruiting beginning to take a hit with some defensive misses as well (largely due to overall poor record). We are now at the point where the defense does not have the ability to outright win games for with top 5 defenses year after year like back in the late 2000s. This shows with records around 500.

Overall responsibility for the above is Frank Beamer. You can see that from above, the problems are too deep. It's now a culture of losing. Frank does not have the CAPACITY. Does not have he ABILITY. Does not have the insight to understand the problems stemmed from his decisions offensively and once again, he could save himself this year by doing 1 thing. Fire Lefty. Fire Stiney. Fire Searles. Fire Shane. Bring in an entirely new offensive system. Get those 4 OFF OF the BLACKSBURG CAMPUS. Start over. Is this going to happen? It didn't happen in the past and at his age, it is not going to happen now. The solution? Easy. Make Frank Beamer announce in the next week or 2 that this is his last season at VT.

Last edited:
My prediction is as follows:
If Whit has a replacement I predict that Beamer will announce his retirement after the BC game. His announcement will say that he is going to retire at the end of the season. After the season is over Whit will announce our new coach.
If Whit does not have a replacement per the above Beamer will announce his retirement after the season is over. By then Whit should have a replacement to name shortly after giving Beamers announcement time to settle.
Coach Beamers health alone is reason for him to retire.

This is as true as true gets. Couldn't have said better bud.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT