ADVERTISEMENT

Well our season is over guys

VTHokie1001K

All-American
May 22, 2006
It's too bad because it looked like we might be have decent team. Brewer is out for a looooong time and Motely is awful. Beamers bowl streak could be done.

Well you do have a good team still....it's just that you can't reload at QB like OSU can. Maybe the VPI staff can work with Motley and come up with an offensive plan he can run. If not then I'm inclined to agree, but losing your absolute 1st string QB against this buzzsaw has disaster written all over it. There's a whole lot of season to go!

Just lack of talent, it's written on the wall already. Our team did a very good job in the first half, but when Brewer is gone, our chance is gone. Now the season is in danger...

What a pity. I'll still cheer for this team though, win or lose.

We have other QBs on the roster. It's time for our offensive coaches to evaluate the best talent at hand and not the seniority at hand like they usually do. Motley looked absolutely horrendous out there. There's no way in hell he's the answer moving forward.

The Furman game couldn't come at a better time. Perhaps it will be a tryout to see who the starting QB should be.

I credit the Hokies for not giving up after going down 14-0. Don't give up, without Brewer there will be an adjustment, biut if your team plays with the same heart you may do better than you expect.

It's too bad because it looked like we might be have decent team. Brewer is out for a looooong time and Motely is awful. Beamers bowl streak could be done.

C'mon, we were an 8 or 9 win team at best even with Brewer starting. Did you not see how weak, slow and undersized (particularly our LBs) we looked on D? Brewer played very well tonight, but we still don't have a proven consistent threat running the ball (Coleman pedestrian again--not an every down back, the Edmunds experiment has been an abject failure, and Williams and McKenzie are both 3ypc backs against teams not named William & Mary, and our receivers are still drop-prone. I'm concerned by what our defense looked like: a patchwork made up of mostly plan b and plan c players because we couldn't recruit the top talent. This was a mediocre team at best with Brewer starting, and now it's a 6-7 win team just as we've been the past few years. New normal here, and I'm not surprised by it, nor could I work myself up over tonight. It is what it is at this point.

Reactions: B1dee
I credit the Hokies for not giving up after going down 14-0. Don't give up, without Brewer there will be an adjustment, biut if your team plays with the same heart you may do better than you expect.

+1 VT showed what they were made of coming back in that first half. They turned OSU's mistakes into points. I like what the offense did when Brewer was in and I thought they looked like the more seasoned group that you would come to expect after a good off season. Just stinks he had to get injured because that did take away the pass attack instantly. Would have liked to of seen how much closer the game would have been had he stayed in there.

Just lack of talent, it's written on the wall already. Our team did a very good job in the first half, but when Brewer is gone, our chance is gone. Now the season is in danger...

What a pity. I'll still cheer for this team though, win or lose.
Bingo. We do not have top talent at any position. You could argue that K. Fuller and Nicolas or Maddy are top talent, but I still see both Maddy and Nicolas getting abused by hulking linemen or whiffing on tackles. Great speed and great defensive linemen, but not top talent. On offense we're just crap. I think Hodges has potential, but he's a paper tiger at this point. Everyone else is middling to bad.

The offense actually played pretty well, especially the OL outside of a few breakdowns. Ford, Malleck and Hodges are definitely talented and Rogers is a great fullback. The offense is not great but with decent QB play, should be a solid unit and significantly better than the last few years, which isn't saying much but it is still an improvement.

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
Sorry for the lose at QB.....with the games you have coming up I believe it will give you time to make adjustments and find another QB. It would have been worse to lose Brewer at the beginning of the ACC schedule, at least now you have time to find a replacement against a couple of weaker teams. Biggest surprise for me last night was how bad the DB's played. Also have to find a way to get Bucky involved, he may as well have been in the stands last night.

I was surprised at how many rushing yards we gave up. Speaking of rushing yards, we need one RB to step up, be a stud, and not have to rely on RB by Committee.

I'm not sure you have a stud RB.....unless it's the kid wearing the wrist watch. Can you realy play wearing a watch?

I wondered about that, too. I know whenever a necklace comes out of a shirt, the refs make the kid tuck it back in before play resumes. How is a wristwatch any different?

This team will be fine and theres plenty of talent. Brewer getting knocked out of the game is the last thing anybody expected. When that happened, it set up a series of 3 and outs for the offense which tired the defense and forced Foster to go deeper in the bench. Once OSU seen Motley wasnt as much of a pass threat (Brewer barely is) they simply pulled up and shut down the run and short yardage pass. Our whole gameplan went out the window in what was already going to be the toughest opponent we play all year.

We all know Foster will work the kinks out of the defense (and whatever the hell was wrong with the DBs). The special teams looked ok and the kicking game was better. The OL was improved, the WRs did ok as did the RBs and the playcalling wasnt as "vanilla" as the past. I dont expect the offense to be elite under Beamer, only "serviceable" and I think this team can be that once a new QB gets more reps. This season is far from over.

We have a QB who better be starting this weekend for the first time. Trial by fire is what you do when you have no better choice. The O line should be ok if they play the change they made during the game. Shaimac should run it. On D need to unshirt at lb and switch to another Frosh at one of the Saftey spots.
Still think we win 7 games.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
I just glanced down your schedule....I think you win 7 games on defense alone. GT & UNCheat probably toughest games left.....ECU, Miami and Duke could be tough but winnable. The rest should be no problem....your season is far from lost. You might find out your next QB is better than what you had, who knows.

I just glanced down your schedule....I think you win 7 games on defense alone. GT & UNCheat probably toughest games left.....ECU, Miami and Duke could be tough but winnable. The rest should be no problem....your season is far from lost. You might find out your next QB is better than what you had, who knows.
You left out Wake Forest as a probably loss.

ECU has the style of offense that can (and does) give us fits. They kind of remind me of Pitt's offense back during the Walt Harris years in that no matter what kind of defense we throw at it, they just seemed to have an answer for whatever it is we're doing.

UNC usually beats themselves when they play us. I'm still up in the air about how good GT is (we usually beat them...or at least are in firm control before our QB goes on an inexplicable turnover orgy). Miami is usually a tough matchup for us no matter how good or bad either team is. Duke is...well, Duke. Sometimes we beat them when we play, sometimes we beat ourselves.

The offense actually played pretty well, especially the OL outside of a few breakdowns. Ford, Malleck and Hodges are definitely talented and Rogers is a great fullback. The offense is not great but with decent QB play, should be a solid unit and significantly better than the last few years, which isn't saying much but it is still an improvement.
I thought we really had an outside chance if Brewer had not gotten hurt. The D got tired after those 3 and outs and Miller cut right through us. BUT, like Aaron Mac from the Roanoke Times said, we'll never know what would have happened had Brewer stayed in.

I agree, the plays and playcalling were refreshing. Lefty seemed to have something up his sleeve when necessary and at the right time and it was well rehearsed and coordinated. He just might make a good OC after all.

Sam Rogers.....I don't even know what to say. He's one bad dude.

Reactions: VT/UK Rondo
You left out Wake Forest as a probably loss.

ECU has the style of offense that can (and does) give us fits. They kind of remind me of Pitt's offense back during the Walt Harris years in that no matter what kind of defense we throw at it, they just seemed to have an answer for whatever it is we're doing.

UNC usually beats themselves when they play us. I'm still up in the air about how good GT is (we usually beat them...or at least are in firm control before our QB goes on an inexplicable turnover orgy). Miami is usually a tough matchup for us no matter how good or bad either team is. Duke is...well, Duke. Sometimes we beat them when we play, sometimes we beat ourselves.

BC will beat us.

This team will be fine and theres plenty of talent. Brewer getting knocked out of the game is the last thing anybody expected. When that happened, it set up a series of 3 and outs for the offense which tired the defense and forced Foster to go deeper in the bench. Once OSU seen Motley wasnt as much of a pass threat (Brewer barely is) they simply pulled up and shut down the run and short yardage pass. Our whole gameplan went out the window in what was already going to be the toughest opponent we play all year.

We all know Foster will work the kinks out of the defense (and whatever the hell was wrong with the DBs). The special teams looked ok and the kicking game was better. The OL was improved, the WRs did ok as did the RBs and the playcalling wasnt as "vanilla" as the past. I dont expect the offense to be elite under Beamer, only "serviceable" and I think this team can be that once a new QB gets more reps. This season is far from over.

Plenty of talent where, exactly? And plenty of talent to do what? I appreciate the optimism, I just don't see it here. This is a bad team with mediocre personnel. Possibly enough to compete in the Coastal, but that could still mean a .com bowl game or no bowl at all.

Well, Durk and Lawson are both auditioning this week. Might get exciting from here on out.

Think about this though; we just played the baddest offensive genius in all of college football and he was armed with 4 different players just on offense who could potentially win the Heisman, blue chips across the oline and a defense that held OREGON to 4 pts less than we scored. All is not lost.

Reactions: Cavgator
Plenty of talent where, exactly? And plenty of talent to do what? I appreciate the optimism, I just don't see it here. This is a bad team with mediocre personnel. Possibly enough to compete in the Coastal, but that could still mean a .com bowl game or no bowl at all.

We have more talent than everybody on our schedule not named Ohio State or Miami. If we lose to anybody else, it wont be because they had superior talent. We will be ok...

You remind me of that guy from the movie "Major League".

Normally, I am the last person to be a Pollyanna, but let's settle down for a bit:

* Even with Brewer, VT probably would have lost to Ohio State. Most fans tend to beat themselves up for losses, but losing to THIS Ohio State team may not be as bad a mark as some may believe. Ohio State may have a team that would rank among the All-time greats this year, similar to 1995 Nebraska.

* When Brewer was knocked out, I could almost see the heart of the team drain. Now, SEC teams uses this excuse all the time, but Brewer was the linchpin for the offense.

* If VT continues to struggle with Motley (or whomever), then that is a mitigating factor. It is Frank's responsibility to have competent backups at all positions, but folks, shat happens.

With Brewer and Bud's loaded defense, I saw a ten-win season. I will not give up on that this year - yet.

It's early.

First of all EC'U's O looks pretty bland to me. Also they have a new OC.
Secondly, we have some very serious problems at LB and a problem at Safety. We have an inexperienced QB backed up by more of the same. There are some tough teams on our schedule and it's way too early to anoint our team as a winner.
Don't forget that we feature the RB rotation.

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT