ADVERTISEMENT

Wolff Fired ... Thank you Whit.

I felt bad for him as he had done a very creditable job at BU but he just didn't seem to be able to handle this one. Five years is enough time .

Weaver should not have hired him. Jim went off base with his hire, VT and the WBB program paid for it. ACC record 5 years..17 wins and lost 65.. overall..61 wins and lost 93. Thank goodness Whit pulled the plug. I have been a season ticket holder for years and people had quit coming. If he stayed another year, I had planned on letting my season tickets go.

oh bring back Bonnie. She was so cute and was a winner.
This is a big rebuilding project which, I am not sure the 55 years old Bonnie has the energy for. This job is now for a person who wants to build a program and stay in Blacksburg for a while, kind of like what Beamer did for football.

I knew he was on borrowed time when Whit gave it another year. I figured he didn't want to go through with changing both in the same year. He was a terrible hire by Weaver. Oe more season and you would of had Cassel to yourself.

Reactions: Jackcrow
I thought they had a winning record and was headed in the right direction?

It was a terrible hire. Weaver put zero effort into finding a new coach. He just went down the hall and grabbed the f person he saw. He did the same with baseball.

VT needs to go after Coach Geno at UCONN. Give him the key to the bank. He's winning so much at UConn, he might want another challenge.

What does a successful women's basketball program even look like these days? After Connecticut, SC, Baylor, MD and a few others ... pretty much every other team is the same. So basically, the goal of making the tourney is about all you can hope for. The state of women's college bball is pretty sad, IMO.

Last edited:
It was a terrible hire. Weaver put zero effort into finding a new coach. He just went down the hall and grabbed the f person he saw. He did the same with baseball.

VT needs to go after Coach Geno at UCONN. Give him the key to the bank. He's winning so much at UConn, he might want another challenge.
Geno is never leaving UConn to come to Tech.

Who would have thought Bronco Mendenhall would have left BYU for Hooville ? Now granted Mendenhall isn't as big of a name as Geno, but sometimes coaches do strange things.

I laughed....

HR the man put BU in the playoffs five times. I agree he was a terrible hire because of a lot of things but his prior coaching life was not a dud. You should check him out.

Another one of Weaver's brilliant parting gifts. Good riddance. Let's hope we can usher in a new, more prosperous era in women's basketball too.

Hate to say it, but unless we make NCAA tournament in baseball. __________ ____________ _________. Fill in blanks.

I have ever understood why college baseball and softball doesn't get "more ink". After football, it's mu favorite sport.

I try to over look the money aspect of college sports. NCAA should be about playing and trying to win, rather than who can make the most money.

I try to over look the money aspect of college sports. NCAA should be about playing and trying to win, rather than who can make the most money.
Weaver was all about the money as in not spending any on any sports besides Beamerball. So far, Babcock has done as good as job as any Hokie fan could expect in cleaning up Weaver's "mistakes". The hiring of Kenny Brooks looks like another good move. Given time, I'm convinced Whit's choice here will be a winner. Baseball clean up will be next lining up with the improvement in the facilities. I feel as though Whit needs a new contract already and here's hoping we can hold on to these coaches he's brought in.

When Pete Hughes left VT for Okalhoma , VT was coming off hosting a Regional in baseball, and future looked bright. Weaver hired the pitching coach as HC, instead of going out and getting a proven HC to come to VT. This was a big mistake. Now we are paying for it.

When Pete Hughes left VT for Okalhoma , VT was coming off hosting a Regional in baseball, and future looked bright. Weaver hired the pitching coach as HC, instead of going out and getting a proven HC to come to VT. This was a big mistake. Now we are paying for it.

Weaver was playing out the string towards his last years as our AD. He was in terrible bad health and probably was not in condition to function well as our Ad. He seemed to make choices as a matter of expediency instead of a normal process just to get the hole plugged. I'm just not hard enough to fault him for what he did as I may have done the same.
I do believe that the president of the college was very knowledgable about his condition and should have been able to see what was happening. If it was a matter of money or whatever I think we should have realized what was going on and helped a man who was very loyal to us.Jmo.

Hate to say it, but unless we make NCAA tournament in baseball. __________ ____________ _________. Fill in blanks.
Two Jobs will be replaced this year. One is over and the new coach has been hired. Baseball is Next. Heard this back in Dec. , Whit Love Baseball !!

Baseball and Basketball. Played them both too. He knows we love us some FB though and he is doing pretty darn good there too. I think he just wants us to have the best sports program possible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT