ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: Devon Hunter Update***

Guys, I spoke earlier with Indian River (Va.) class of 2017 four-star safety Devon Hunter, No. 26 in the 2017 Rivals100. Hunter just visited VT two weeks ago for the final recruiting camp of the summer, with his mother and his teammate, Rivals250 LB Jaquan Yulee, who's committed to Alabama.

Hunter didn't want to talk about Yulee, but said he loved seeing VT. Hunter told me "It was like coming back home." He also enjoyed talking to assistant coaches Bryan Stinespring, Torrian Gray and Cornell Brown. The Hokies are still recruiting him as an athlete, giving him the opportunity to choose safety or wide receiver. I think he'd rather play safety, though. Hunter hasn't listed any favorites but said of VT, "That’s a school I cant forget about. Just knowing that school is behind my back, they’re always gonna be in my top."

This was just Hunter's second trip to Blacksburg. His first came in June of 2014 for camp, which is when then Hokies offered him. This time, he was just hanging out.

Hunter said the only other visit he made this summer was in late June with Yulee to Alabama. It came after Yulee made his commitment there. Those guys are tight, so the Tide will stay in it for Hunter. Hunter said it was a loose atmosphere there and that he liked touring campus and hanging out with the players.

VT will definitely be in this one until the end. Hunter said he hopes to see NC State, Maryland, Alabama, Auburn and Georgia this fall, but the only planned visit he has is back to VT Sept. 7 for the game against Ohio State. Hunter does plan to see Clemson sometime this month, though nothing has been set.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Good news at LB

It has been confirmed that Dahman McKinnon has returned to VT. This is great timing, since I see him as being more of an asset this year than Keihn would have been. He returned in great shape, apparently hitting the weight room big time while away.
3757230.jpg

He's listed at 6'1", 221lbs. Welcome back, Dahman!

***INsider: First Day Practice Notes***

Guys, I'm back from the brief media viewing at the beginning of practice today. I'll be back to add some more notes after we gather for interviews at 5:30 pm ET.

*First off, there's a few departures from the team. Hokie5284 broke the news on The Gobbler that Holland Fisher has left the team, after not making the grade. His future is a little unclear at this point. Also, WR David Prince has left the football team, but is still at VT, as he will be focusing solely on track now.

**RB Shai McKenzie has been reinstated, after meeting with athletics director Whit Babcock. He can participate in team activities, but he's suspended for the Ohio State game. And as was mentioned on here earlier in the week by dpwill, Dahman McKinnon is now back on the team.

***McKenzie looked a little lost right off the bat, after being exiled from the team since early March for legal matters off the field. Twice, assistant coach Shane Beamer had to take McKenzie aside in drills to tell him that what he was doing had changed since the spring. McKenzie didn't look too rusty, physically, but it's stuff like being behind with what he should be doing, when and where that will put him behind the other backs and make it less likely that he'll make much of an impact when the season begins. My guess is that changes later on.

****This is clearly Michael Brewer's show at quarterback. Brewer was the one ordering the other QBs around and pointing out who should be where in drills. He had one moment where the ball slipped as he cocked his arm back to pass, but other than that, he looked smooth.

*****This was the first full practice experience for true freshman QB Dwayne Lawson, who physically, looks very impressive. Even just on his rollouts, you can tell he's a mobile guy. But he's got a long way to go in grasping the concepts of the offense. You can tell he has the makings of a future stud and still could see time as a Wildcat option this season. But as far as anything regularly, unless something happens to Brewer, it's not looking like it will happen.

******Got a chance to see big Tim Settle for the first time, too. And though he's cut down a bit of weight, (he's listed at 359, but I think that's way off), he's got a long way to go on technique. He still bull-rushes too much and assistant coach Charley Wiles has called him out quite a bit for it. Settle is eager to learn, that's probably the best quality he has. But he's gonna be a work in progress.

*******Deon Newsome is looking more and more like the No. 3 receiver, though it's still very early. He's seeing himself get involved in other aspects of the offense, but he's getting more opportunities. And if he keeps progressing, he'll see more of those looks.

********Mentioning this at the bottom, but Michael Vick was on hand at today's practice. He stood in front of the team at the beginning of practice and gave a speech. Vick hung around throughout the duration of practice and was talking to multiple coaches and other staff members.

*********A few injuries to pass on, RB Marshawn Williams is in blue and limited in practice. Basically nothing involving contact. OL Colt Pettit has been cleared to participate fully in practice, after sitting out last spring and last fall with a shoulder injury. Finally, the only player in green is true freshman Trevon Hill. He's still recovering from the torn ACL he suffered earlier in the summer.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

***INsider: Javin DeLaurier Update***

Guys, I spoke a bit earlier with St. Anne's-Belfield (Va.) four-star power forward Javin DeLaurier, No. 40 in the 2016 Rivals150. And the big news I can tell you is that DeLaurier plans on releasing a top eight over the next few days, possibly as soon as tonight.

DeLaurier has been one of the Hokies' top targets for months, along with five-star guard Markelle Fultz. But DeLaurier might be the best chance VT has at landing an elite prospect in the 2016 class.

DeLaurier said Louisville and North Carolina are still his most recent offers, both coming in late June, which brought his total to 28. He visited Louisville in late June and went to UNC June 14. DeLaurier really likes both schools and said he likes the tradition and history of both, as well as the rabid fans at both schools.

VT is still squarely in this one. DeLaurier told me "I love what Buzz is trying to do in Blacksburg." He also said they talk frequently and he likes how he would fit in there. DeLaurier said Buzz Williams and assistant Isaac Chew made an in-home with him in April and have been trying to sell him on being a legacy at VT and turning the program around. The last time DeLaurier visited Blacksburg, though, was back in January for the Syracuse game.

DeLaurier wouldn't give anything away on his top eight, but based on this conversation and others, my guess is the list consists of VT, Louisville, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Texas and Princeton. I'm not sure about the last two, which would be large underdogs anyway, but I would guess Vanderbilt and Florida.

***INsider: Grant Holloway Latest***

Guys, I spoke earlier with Grassfield (Va.) four-star WR Grant Holloway, No. 236 in the Rivals250. He's now the Hokies' top receiver target left in the 2016 class and visited VT July 25 for Beamer's BBQ.

For the longest time, Holloway has talked about VT and Tennessee. But he told me that the Vols are now out. And THE reason is because they fired the track coach he loved and had gotten to know really well.

With the Hokies, Holloway said he loved talking to assistant coach Bryan Stinespring, as well as coach Frank Beamer. Holloway said he "Absolutely loved it" from the lounge to the indoor facility, just everything. But the comment that let me know that VT is in excellent position is when he talked about new commit Phil Patterson: "They got a Bayside commit, so if he can do it, I can do it better."

In June, Holloway participated in a track meet in Oregon and visited the Ducks while he was there. The week before the VT visit, he went to Florida and just before VT, he went to Georgia. Those four are his official top four.

Right now, I think the Hokies are in the lead. But the school to watch is Florida. Holloway said that's been his dream school, but the Gators have offered only in track. If they offer in football, they'll immediately vault to the top. The darkhorse here is Oregon. It's far, but he really has always been intrigued by the Ducks.

Holloway said he plans to take an official visit to each school in his top four. He has no set plans, but said he'd like to have a decision by November.

***INsider: Zack Gilbert Latest***

Guys, just wanted to share this, from our friend Chris Peak at PantherLair.com, our Pittsburgh site. South Mecklenberg (NC) three-star defensive end Zack Gilbert did NOT make it to VT for Beamer's BBQ as was planned and is still likely between the Hokies and Pittsburgh. Here's what Peak has, which I'll be following up on to see what else is going on with Gilbert:

"Defensive end target/Pitt legacy Zack Gilbert had previously scheduled a visit to Virginia Tech for two weeks ago. He didn't make that trip, so he pushed the visit to this past Friday. He also didn't make that trip, and now it looks like he won't be able to get to Blacksburg until the Hokies' much-anticipated 2015 season opener against Ohio State on Sept. 7.

Obviously VT is going to put on its best show that night, regardless of the game's outcome, so that's going to be an impressive atmosphere. But here's the other thing:

Gilbert's not set on his previously-announced commitment date of Sept. 11, and is planning to discuss with his family the possibility of committing earlier. That would probably mean committing at some point this month. But even if that happens, he would still like to see Blacksburg, probably with an official visit.

I guess the first reaction is, why commit before taking that visit to Blacksburg? And that's a good question, one I can't answer. But it sure does seem like Pitt will be in good shape to receive Gilbert's commitment if he does make it in the next month. He is also still looking to visit family in western Pa. this month, which would include a visit to Pitt."

Cassell Court Now Carillion Court

BIG sponsorship deal VT now has in place, as Cassell Coliseum basketball court now renamed "Virginia Tech Carilion Court." Deal is for 10 years at $500,000/per year. Here's the official release from VT:

The floor at Cassell Coliseum has been renamed the Virginia Tech Carilion Court in recognition of a generous sponsorship of Virginia Tech athletics that will be used to fund scholarships and strategic initiatives, as well as to support public-health awareness.

“This naming reflects the growing partnership between Carilion Clinic and Virginia Tech, and the commitment our organizations both have to our region,” Virginia Tech President Timothy D. Sands said. “This public-private partnership can be seen in our Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute, and now it will be highlighted to even greater degree in the name of our most prominent court.”

Carilion was awarded naming privileges to the court for 10 years in recognition of a sponsorship that will provide $500,000 a year over that time. With the naming, Carilion will support student-athletes who are pursuing health careers, promote health awareness and the Carilion Clinic Children’s Hospital, and honor the importance of the Virginia Tech Carilion partnership, said Nancy Howell Agee, Carilion’s president and CEO.

”Improving the health and well-being of the communities we serve is our mission,” Agee said. “Together, Virginia Tech and Carilion are intentionally inventing the future and inspiring health. Our highly successful partnership, VTC, is developing needed physicians for the future, exponentially growing research to provide solutions these physicians will use to deliver on our mission and, importantly, proving to be a powerful economic engine for the region. VTC is a model of effective collaboration and holds tremendous opportunity for the future of our region.”

Athletics support

“Virginia Tech athletics and Carilion are committed to the continued wellness and good health of our friends and neighbors across the greater New River Valley and Roanoke region,” Virginia Tech Director of Athletics Whit Babcock said. “We hope the Hokies can inspire others to participate in sports, to stay active, and to get out and exercise. Participating in sports provides numerous benefits to our youth. I am a product of the student-athlete experience and I believe in all that it teaches, from youth sports through the college ranks. Carilion’s support will help us to do even more to promote healthy lifestyles on campus and in our community.”

Babcock said that Carilion’s support for scholarships and other initiatives, such as improving Cassell Coliseum, will help numerous programs, including men’s and women’s basketball, volleyball, and wrestling.

“Championship-level teams have to attract top student-athletes,” Babcock said. “We want to be the best in the ACC in all facets – that’s our goal. Scholarships and facilities are two very important keys to those objectives, and this partnership is another way to help the Hokies maintain a competitive edge. We are extremely proud of our partnership with Carilion. They are committed to the success and well-being of the Hokie Nation.”

An enduring relationship

Virginia Tech and Carilion have a history of collaboration focused on the well-being of the greater New River Valley and Roanoke region:

· In the early 1990s, Carilion’s leadership in the Renew Roanoke initiative helped make it possible for the Virginia Tech Foundation to reopen the Hotel Roanoke and Conference Center.

· Carilion and the Virginia Tech Foundation have partnered to support venture capital funds focused on economic development in the region.

· A public-private partnership between Virginia Tech and Carilion led to the creation of the Roanoke-based Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute.

· Virginia Tech and Carilion are both participants in Go Virginia, a statewide economic growth initiative announced on July 28.

The decision to highlight that partnership in the court naming was welcomed by Cynda Johnson, founding dean of the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine, and Michael Friedlander, founding executive director of the Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute.

“The Virginia Tech Carilion partnership has been a powerful model, recognized across the commonwealth and the nation,” Johnson said. “We are delighted with the opportunity to continue solidifying our reputation for extraordinary health care and education.”

“The Virginia Tech Carilion partnership has already contributed substantially to major research discoveries that will improve the health of Virginians and people worldwide through improved diagnosis, treatment, and care for people with neuropsychiatric disorders, childhood developmental disorders, cancer, and heart disease,” Friedlander said. “These advances are leading to the development of new technologies. In addition. the Virginia Tech Carilion Partnership is already significantly boosting the region’s economy.”

Revis Appeal Denied

According to Andy Bitter, Revis lost his appeal (as if we didn't know how that would turn out). His lawyer (Turk), was very angry and has said that he will talk to CJ and his family about whether or not they want to pursue the matter in court. He claims the punishment is completely unwarranted.

More 2016 WR Commits, ...

According to 247 Sports:

Announcing at 3:30 PM today: NOT, watched the 247 countdown & nothing-Googled and found that Tino is gonna announce at 6:00 PM. - so much for 247 accuracy!:rolleyes:

Tino Ellis is listed 59% - Md Turtles, 41% - Hokies

Same site lists following as VT likely commits:

Grant Holloway - 100% VT
Phillip Patterson - 100% VT, announcing tomorrow @ 3:00 PM
Trevion Armstrong - 89% VT, - 11% ?
Ian Boyd - 67% VT, - 33% Wolfpack

The above based on various 'expert' opinions.

However, the same site predicted Brock Miller - 67% VT, - 33% Wolfpack and we know how accurate that was so, don't think I'll ask them for '6 lucky numbers' lol.

Anyone have ideas re: the above, my Ophthalmologist recently advise my 2003 Lasik is fading away, so your crystal ball is likely clearer than mine...

***8.7 VT INsider Chat Details***

Guys, VT football fall camp starts tomorrow (Friday)! And to help get you ready, we'll be conducting our chat at our usual time of 12:30 pm ET. Come get answers to all the burning questions you guys have with recruiting, football, basketball and more. Come take advantage of and get the very most out of your subscriptions and join us for this week's chat!

NOTE: I had planned on hopefully doing this one at 3 pm, but practice starts at 3:15, so that obviously is not possible this week. We'll try for 3 pm next week to accommodate those folks who voted for that time slot. And as always, if you can't make the chat, you can replay it, post a question here on The Gobbler or email me directly.

Chat link: http://bit.ly/1KTmvAe

***INsider: Troy Pride Latest***

Guys, I spoke a little earlier with Greer (SC) three-star cornerback Troy Pride, who's been committed to the Hokies since February. But in the past week, he's received written offers from North Carolina and Georgia Tech.

Pride told me that "I still feel very strongly about Virginia Tech" and considers himself still committed. He also told me, "It's really their prospect to lose."

Pride was at VT on July 25 for Beamer's BBQ, which was his first time visiting since when he committed. He missed the spring game. On this visit, Pride said he enjoyed talking with coach Frank Beamer and he also spent more time with assistant coach Torrian Gray. When the recruits visiting all broke off in their position groups, Pride said that Gray "put me on a stage where commit guys get the best treatment. I got a chance to be personal with him, talk it out." And that made his commitment a bit stronger.

Still, this one is far from over. Basically, it's down to VT and four other schools in the running: Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Notre Dame and Maryland. Pride said he'll likely take official visits to all five schools. The specific games Pride said he wants to get to are for the VT/Ohio State game and the Maryland/Penn State game. Other than that, he's not sure.

Pride is far from 100% with the Hokies. Right now, I'd put him at about 75%. But the visit for Beamer's BBQ helped and has made him more solid with VT than before. Still, it's a wait and see with how his other visits go. He'll likely be right up to signing day before he makes a firm, 100% decision.

4* WR Grant Halloway is also a track star

Now that Patterson is a VT commit, is getting Grant Holloway the priority? With his blazing speed, hurdle ability, he looks like a very explosive player. Since 247's Crystal Ball is so cloudy, what are the chances VT lands him?

Holloway is a 2 sport star and wants to do both in college. Oregon and Florida have offered for track already. Surely if he is good enuff for Oregon to offer him in track, he is pretty darn good. Why hasn't VT offered him in track also? I know there is some overlap between the sports schedules but, it is not impossible to participate in both sports. Didn't Andre Davis do both at VT and also David Wilson?

Seems it would give VT an advantage to be the first to offer him in football and track. Does VT have any WR's that run a 4.27 40?

Weekend Visitor To VT

Guys, just got confirmation within the Rivals network that McDonogh (Md.) 2017 three-star Jordan McNair plans to visit Virginia Tech this weekend. McNair is ranked by Rivals.com as the No. 31 offensive tackle for 2017 and No. 8 player in Maryland.

We'll be following up and have plenty more on him and his visit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT