ADVERTISEMENT

Campbell to UNC

Kyree Campbell to UNC is another painful recruiting loss to a program that is somehow blowing smoke up the backsides of recruits pending what should be a serious smack down from the NCAA. Why are they so confident they will come out of this unscathed with five major allegations, four of them of the harshest order: Level I, including lack of institutional control? They are far worse than the allegations leveled at USC and we know what happened to them. My only hope is that the hammer comes down before February and these kids all have a chance to reconsider before sending in their letter of intent. If they do get hit with any serious penalties the coaches and AD at UNC should be sanctioned by the NCAA for lying, should lose all credibility and hopefully set the program back for years. Wouldn't that be fitting for misleading all those young men? If they do come out clean you have to wonder, does UNC have pictures of Mark Emmert in a compromising position with a farm animal?

***INsider: Grant Gibson Update***

Guys, I spoke earlier with Mallard Creek (NC) class of 2017 four-star DT Grant Gibson, who visited VT July 25 for Beamer's BBQ. Gibson is No. 218 in the 2017 Rivals250.

This was Gibson's second visit to Blacksburg. He also visited for the spring game in April and was offered in mid-May. Gibson said he talked with defensive coordinator Bud Foster and assistant coaches Charley Wiles and Stacy Searels and basically loved shooting the shit with them. Gibson said he toured the campus and the facilities and loved the new indoor facility. "It was my first time seeing it and it's extremely nice," Gibson said.

Gibson said he especially likes the relationship he has with Wiles and assistant coach Shane Beamer. He said he loves talking to both coaches and that a lot of times, they don't talk about sports, which he appreciates.

On July 25, Gibson visited NC State for another barbecue. He said he also enjoyed talking to the coaches there and likes their new practice facility as well.

Gibson has offers from VT and NC State, as well as Duke, Tennessee, West Virginia and Colorado State. He also visited Duke in June, but it sounds like right now, the Hokies and Wolfpack hold a slight edge. But Gibson considers himself open.

He told me he wants to get to games at Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Clemson, NC State, West Virginia, South Carolina and Duke. But the only visit he currently has set is back to Virginia Tech Sept. 7 for the season-opener against Ohio State. So definitely more good news there for the Hokies.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Johnny Hamilton, Ty Outlaw eligibility at VT: Jr or Sr?

Looking at BB roster on TechSideline and they list Hamilton and Outlaw as seniors. I know they are transferring from a junior college - thought they were just 2 year colleges and transfers would have 2 years eligibility remaining at a 4 year college.

Is TechSideline listing them as Seniors incorrect?

TechSideline 2016 Season Roster (Scholarship Players Only)

Seniors: Seth Allen (G), Johnny Hamilton (C), Zach LeDay (F), Ty Outlaw (G), Devin Wilson (G)
Juniors: Justin Bibbs (G), Ahmed Hill (G), Jalen Hudson (G), Satchel Pierce (F)
Sophomores: Kerry Blackshear (F), Chris Clarke (G/F), Justin Robinson (G)

Seth Harrell Talks VT, Recruiting

This is a kid I mentioned back in May to keep an eye on, after I saw him at the DC stop of the Rivals Combine Series presented by Under Armour. Our Brittany Keup caught up with Grassfield (Va.) 2017 three-star OL Seth Harrell, who camped at VT last weekend. I really think this is gonna be one of those situations where one big school offers and more will follow. Just not sure if VT will be first or not: http://rvls.co/1P0EzHk

VT Fall Camp Availability

Guys, I alluded to it in another thread, but the viewing and media opportunities for this fall camp for the Hokies are pretty scarce. I imagine that's because of prep for a certain big game on Labor Day weekend.

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Virginia Tech Football Media Availability – Preseason Camp
BLACKSBURG
Please note the following important dates regarding media opportunities for Virginia Tech Football. Times are subject to change.
First Day of Practice – Friday, Aug. 7
· Media are welcome to take still photos and obtain video b-roll during stretch and individual drills. No live video or radio may be conducted from the practice field, nor video broadcast real-time via Periscope or other social media platforms
o Approx. 3:15 p.m.
· Frank Beamer, Bud Foster, Scot Loeffler and selected players available after practice in player lounge
o Approx. 5:30 p.m.
VT Football/NASCAR Media Opportunity – Tuesday, Aug. 11
· Virginia Tech Director of Athletics Whit Babcock, Frank & Shane Beamer and selected members of the Virginia Tech football team are scheduled to joined by the following individuals for interviews, photo ops and a few surprises at the Tech practice facility at noon. The following individuals are slated to join the Hokies:
o Ty Dillon, NASCAR XFINITY Series driver for No. 3 Bass Pro Shops Chevrolet Camaro
o Jerry Caldwell, EVP/GM for Bristol Motor Speedway
o Derek Vaughan, Engineer and Director of Race Strategy, Richard Childress Racing (VT Class of ’98)
· The event will be followed by a media luncheon at a local Blacksburg establishment TBD at 1 p.m.
Media Day/Fan Appreciation Day – Saturday, Aug. 15
· Frank Beamer will address the media from the indoor practice facility at 9 a.m.
· Foster, Loefller, Shane Beamer and selected players will be available following the head coach.
· Media day will conclude at 11 a.m.
· Media are welcome to obtain photos/b-roll during Fan Appreciation Day, but all interviews with members of the team should be conducted between 9-11 a.m.
Offensive Media Opportunity – Tuesday, Aug. 18
· Selected offensive coaches and players available after practice
o Player lounge – approx. 5:30 p.m.
Defensive Media Opportunity – Thursday, Aug. 20
· Coach Beamer and selected offensive coaches and players available after practice
o Player lounge – approx. 5:30 p.m.
The Hokies will begin their in-season practice schedule beginning the week of Aug. 24. Details on media availability leading up to the season opener will be made available at a later date.

New trend in Olines

Anyone notice that Olines are taller and leaner nowadays? FSI and Miami's line continues the old trend and is heavy averaging 315- 320 lbs. but most of the ACC and some other major programs I checked are all averaging around 290 lbs. or less.

Boston College used to always have huge lines but they seem lighter too. I believe our movement to lighter linemen was to have them to be able to move better and pass protect better.

***INsider: Details on Keihn Leaving

I am confirming the reports that sophomore defensive end, Melvin Keihn, will be transferring. It has been said that his time as a Hokie has come to an end. I noticed Melvin and the coach at UMD had followed each other on twitter. He will be closer to his family in Maryland, which I know was important to him. I am personally very sad about it because he was such a great player and friend! Melvin told me exactly a week ago from today that he was thinking about leaving but to keep it between him and I. He somewhat explained why he was considering it and mentioned something about feeling uncomfortable and unhappy with the team. I know he was upset about it because he really like life at Virginia Tech. Best of luck to him at his new school. Hopefully I will have more information to come once I get in touch with Melvin.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT