ADVERTISEMENT

Landon Dickerson Overview

I put this on our front page, but this is the important piece of it, a blurb on Dickerson from Adam Friedman:

The Skinny:Virginia Tech and Tennessee have been leading the Dickerson sweepstakes for a long time, but Auburn and Michigan are making serious inroads. In fact, Auburn and Michigan have made big enough impressions to get Dickerson to lock in official visits. Return visits to Tennessee and Virginia Tech are likely as well. When Dickerson names a top five, South Carolina will probably make the cut. Florida State has a chance to move way up Dickerson's list because he is visiting Tallahassee this week.

If today were Signing Day ... Dickerson would choose Virginia Tech. The Hokies were one of the first schools to offer Dickerson and he has developed a very strong bond with Virginia Tech offensive line coach Stacy Searls. Dickerson's grandfather also played for the Hokies in the 1960s. This recruitment is far from over, however, and Tennessee, Auburn, Michigan, Florida State and South Carolina all have a good chance.

Zack Gilbert Update

The latest on three-star DE Zack Gilbert via our friends at our Pittsburgh site, PantherLair.com: http://rvls.co/1M1owtd

Very good news here for Hokies, as Gilbert is still at a top five of Pittsburgh, VT, North Carolina, West Virginia and Duke, but said that VT and Pitt are his top two. Gilbert is also set to visit July 25 for the Hokies' barbecue, which will be his first visit to VT. We'll see if that sways his decision.

LJ Figueroa At UA

Our story/interview with 2017 four-star forward LJ Figueroa from the Under Armour All-America camp. As long as assistant Steve Roccaforte is at VT, you can expect the Hokies to be in on just about every big-time player in Florida. It's early with Figueroa, but this might be a big benefit for them being in early. Right now, it sounds like Rutgers and VT are the two he likes most who have offered, but he's really hoping for a Syracuse offer: http://rvls.co/1HX3uu8

***INsider: UA Basketball Camp Days 2-3***

Guys, Kelly and I are back from Charlotte after checking out more VT targets in action at the Under Armour All-America Camp powered by Rivals.com. I'm sure you saw our video breakdown, but wanted to shed some other notes as well.

*First off, there were over 100 coaches on hand last night as the evaluation period officially began at 5 pm yesterday. Coach Buzz Williams wasn't there at the very beginning of games, but got in around 6 pm. Other notable coaches in attendance were Indiana's Tom Crean, Arizona's Sean Miler, Dayton's Archie Miller, Rutgers' Eddie Jordan, Texas A&M's Rick Stansbury, Florida's Michael White, Northwestern's Chris Collins and Minnesota's Richard Pitino.

**Williams was on hand last night to watch the Hokies' top target for the 2016 class, Dematha (Md.) combo guard Markelle Fultz. It was Fultz who told us that Williams had told him he was visiting the camp just to watch him. Williams did not return today, as the staff is also set to attend the Nike Peach Jam and Adidas Uprising.

***As it stands right now, VT still has an excellent chance with Fultz. The last visit he's taken was still to Blacksburg on the Monday just before the NBPA Top 100 camp, but he has an official right now set to Arizona. It sounds like Louisville will get a visit, too. And there's a very good chance VT will have one also. As has been the case for a little while now, Fultz is waiting to see if Kentucky offers. That's his dream school. If the Cats don't, I think the Hokies have a great chance here. He did visit UK and Louisville the week before VT. Kentucky asst coach John Robic was on hand last night, but was sitting courtside on the opposite court that Fultz was playing on. Not sure how much to read into that, though. Fultz said he does like how spiritual Williams is and how Williams tells him to thank his mother every day. So Buzz is smartly recruiting the parents as much as the players. Watch Maryland, Georgetown and a few others, too.

****The one guy to really watch aside from Fultz is Huntington prep (WV) four-star guard Curtis Jones, No. 60 in the Rivals150. Originally from Richmond, he knows Jalen Hudson and played with him. Jones said he wouldn't mind the idea of playing again. Jones did visit VT for a game in January and has stayed in touch with Williams and the staff. Jones said he also likes how Buzz talks to him about the bible. Jones rattled off a lot of schools still in the mix, though his most recent visits were to Indiana and Georgetown.

*****One guy we can pretty well write off is Oldsmar Christian (Fla.) four-star guard Eric Hester. He's had a VT offer since last fall, but the Hokies haven't been as much in contact in a while. He doesn't have an official top two, but it's obvious that Florida and Louisville are the top two here.

******The one guy I really didn't mention much in our first INsider chat is one you should definitely be aware of, 2017 Dillard (Fla.) three-star forward Raiquan Gray. VT is one of only four offers for him right now. San Francisco just offered after seeing him last night, while Binghamton and Vermont have also offered. Very athletic kid who's strong around the rim and cleans up on the glass. My guess is he won't be underrated for very long and could grab more offers from this camp.

Full stories coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

***Location VT: New Jersey Update***

Continuing our breakdowns of the recruiting area for the Hokies. I'll be breaking down where VT stands in the states it recruits, plus DC and the northeast, since the Hokies are only up there sporadically.

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Most Recent Offers:
OL Carter Warren, Passaci County Tech (NJ), 2017 -- Searels

Top targets:
DT Rashan Gary, Paramus Catholic (NJ), five stars, No. 6 in Rivals100, No. 1 DT, No. 1 in NJ -- Brown
WR Ahmir Mitchell, Cedar Creek (NJ), four stars, No. 51 in Rivals100, No. 8 WR, No. 3 in NJ -- Brown
TE Jovani Haskins, Bergenfield (NJ), four stars, No. 27 ATH, No. 11 in NJ -- Brown
DT Fred Hansard, Hun (NJ), four stars, No. 78 in 2017 Rivals100, No. 5 DT -- Brown
LB Drew Singleton, Paramus Catholic (NJ), No. 144 in 2017 Rivals250, No. 9 OLB -- Brown
OL Cesar Ruiz, Camden (NJ), four stars, No. 156 in 2017 Rivals250, No. 3 center -- Searels/Brown
DT Corey Bolds, Paramus Catholic (NJ), three stars, 2017, No. 20 DT -- Brown

Recent Rivals Stories On VT NJ Targets:
Gary from UGASports.com, July 10: http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1781768
Gary from Rivals.com, July 7: http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1780903
Mitchell from Rivals.com, June 28: http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1778607
Ruiz from The Wolverine.com, June 27: https://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1778561
Hansard from BlueWhiteIllustrated.com, June 22: https://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1777112
Hansard from ScarletNation.com, June 24: http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1777685

Overview:
Overall, Virginia Tech has a very strong presence in the Garden State. But of late, the bigger targets have gone elsewhere. DE Ron Johnson and WR Brad Hawkins both committed to Michigan, which has cleaned up in the state, after the two made visits there. OL Will Fries went to Penn State, while DE Quayshon Alexander pledged to Nebraska.

The best chance the Hokies have to strike in the state for 2016 is with Haskins. At first, Haskins seemed very much linked to his cousin, Rivals100 QB Dwayne Haskins. But even though Dwayne committed to Maryland this spring, Jovani has been higher on other schools. And for now, it looks like the top two for Jovani Haskins are Rutgers and Virginia Tech. He was in Blacksburg for the Hokies' spring game in April and of all the prospects they're after in New Jersey, Haskins seems to be most receptive. Virginia Tech is pushing for him to visit for the July 25 cookout, but hasn't gotten a confirmation from him. It could happen, but the likeliest at this point is that Haskins visits for an official early in the fall. Rutgers will be tough to overcome, but Haskins seems intrigued by what the Hokies have done with Bucky Hodges and Ryan Malleck, who happens to be a Jersey guy himself.

VT is technically still in it for Mitchell and Gary, but both appear to have moved on from Virginia Tech. Gary has at least visited, once, for the first junior day in February, but Mitchell never did. Mitchell looks like he has Michigan and Notre Dame as his unofficial top two. Gary, meanwhile, looks to have Michigan and Ohio State on top, with others like Georgia, lurking.

There are a few in-state that the Hokies could go after for 2016, like Kelvin Harmon, who visited June 14 for camp, or even three-star WR Donald Stewart, who was on the same visit as Gary, but it looks as though VT isn't as high on either. That said, it looks like Virginia Tech is turning most of its attention in New Jersey to the 2017 class.

Ruiz would be the prize, as it's tough to find a center as skilled as he is. But the two to really keep an eye on are Bolds and Singleton, from Paramus Catholic. The Hokies have tried to get in there, like with Gary and while there hasn't been much success past Billy Ray Mitchell in 2014, the staff and nearly every player there have been receptive. It's a matter of staying diligent and getting them to make visits as much as possible. This is a group who likes to take visits together, so you'll see likely a handful at least at a time if they do visit.

Rivals national team analysis:
"The big one in 2016 is Ahmir Mitchell. He's their main target in the class in the state. Jovani Haskins is a big-time guy and they need big-time wide receivers and tight ends. The Hokies have made a big impression on him. I think they're in his top two or three schools right now. I know they were in his top four, but I think they're closer to the top of his list right now. It's same kind of competitors with Mitchell and Haskins, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame. Michigan more so for Michigan, but the same competitors.

In 2017, they have have a lot of offers out. You look at Fred Hansard, their top target right now. But I like their early offer to three-star lineman Carter Warren. He's a developmental guy, about 6'6" and 265 pounds. he needs to develop his body, but he has that athleticism, that nasty streak that you want in an offensive lineman and Tech is certainly a program that can develop linemen. They've offered a few other linemen, like four-star Cesar Ruiz, the center. He's a great player, a lot of room to develop even more, but he's already far on his development right now.

Noah DeHond is on a little bit of a hot streak right now with offers and he's absolutely massive, 6'6" and 325 pounds. Pretty athletic, but needs to develop his body more, turn weight into good weight. the other two offers, Corey Bolds and Drew Singleton out of Paramus Catholic, Michigan leads early. There's little doubt and some think he could commit to Michigan in the near future. Bolds will take more visits. There's a few guys in 2018 that VT has shown interest in, like quarterback Allan Walters. Also, keep an eye on Artur Sitkowski and the next big receiver could be Justin Shorter from South Brunswick. I really liked him. "

-- Rivals.com mid-Atlantic analyst Adam Friedman

Social Media:
Login to view embedded media Login to view embedded media Login to view embedded media

***INsider: Under Armour All-America Bball Camp***

Hey everyone! Jason and I just finished up day 1 in Charlotte, North Carolina. Here are just a few thoughts on today, and Jason will add to this too.

The combine lasted all afternoon as the players slowly rolled in. They were mainly measured, photographed, and interviewed today. They ran a few drills to test speed, height, and agility. Afterwards the guys shot some baskets and played around. The real action starts tomorrow and we'll be getting you full coverage for the practices and games. I got to interview almost all of the VT targets today, and the rest we will get tomorrow. The players we have seen so far are Raiquan Gray, Kodye Pugh, LJ Figuerora, Eric Hester, Nickeil Walker, Trevon Duval, and Ty-Shon Alexander. Markelle Fultz will be arriving tomorrow.

It was more of a relaxed first day. One of my favorite parts of the drills was when they had to test how high they could jump. With so much power and force, I was impressed with what each player brought. I didn't actually realize how difficult it was to jump that high until I tried myself; I couldn't even make the lowest mark.

I loved getting to talk to the players one-on-one. I was surprised because every single one of them seemed genuinely grateful to be at the camp - very humble and eager to gain experience. I learned a few fun facts about them, such as hopeful engineers, shoe-lovers, music-players, and more! All of those interesting facts and basketball/recruiting talk will be uploaded soon!

More towards the end of today, some of the players, including Raiquan Gray and Nickeil Walker, were basically having a "dunk-off." It was just a friendly way of messing around and trying out some stylish, yet difficult, dunks and shots. It was entertaining and amazing to watch these talented players test their skills with attempts at pro-style basketball shots.

I am looking forward to day 2 tomorrow, stay tuned and we'll keep you updated! :)

***7.10 VT INsider Chat Details***

Guys, we'll do this week's chat at our normal time of 12:30 pm ET tomorrow. But a head's up, unless something comes up, we'll plan on doing next week's chat, July 17, at 3 pm ET. That will be those who voted for that time's opportunity to join.

For this week, we've got tons to talk about, with the release of Rivals' 2017 rankings, plus a lot going on at the Under Armour All-America Camp in Charlotte and VT targets there. So take advantage of this opportunity and get all your VT-related questions answered! And as always, if you miss or can't make the chat, you can catch the replay, post any question you have on The Gobbler or email directly if you wish. Hope to see you all on the chat!

Chat link: http://bit.ly/1G9GIJS

VT in Rivals250 Update

Guys, the first Rivals250 for 2017 was released today and the Hokies have a strong presence as usual. Below are the VT targets and their new ranking:

DT Eric Crosby, Ocean Lakes (Va.), No. 106
LB David Adams, Central Catholic (Pa.), No. 110
DT Darnell Ewell, Lake Taylor (Va.), No. 111
WR Tarik Black, Cheshire Academy (Conn.), No. 112
QB Chase Brice, Grayson (Ga.), No. 127
LB Robert Beal, Norcross (Ga.), No. 129
LB Drew Singleton, Paramus Catholic (NJ), No. 144
WR Ryan Jones, Ardrey Kell (NC), No. 145
OL Cesar Ruiz, Camden (NJ), No. 156
DE Xach Gill, Wake Forest (NC), No. 162
DE Tyjuan Garbutt, Riverbend (Va.), No. 171
OL Josh Lugg, North Allegheny (Pa.), No. 196
LB Avery Roberts, Concord (Del.), No. 209
LB Ellis Brooks, Benedictine (Va.), No. 212
OL Robert Hainsey, Gateway (Pa.), No. 215
DT Grant Gibson, Mallard Creek (NC), No. 218
Safety Derrek Pitts, South Charleston (WV), No. 226
DE Yetur Matos, Chancellor (Va.), No. 237
LB Nathan Proctor, Lackey (Md.), No. 239
DE Jake Lawler, South Mecklenburg (NC), No. 244
OL Marcus Minor, Dematha (Md.), No. 246

FREE Peak At VT Targets At UA All-America

Kelly and I have been busy covering a dozen VT basketball targets on hand at the Under Armour All-America camp, including five-star Markelle Fultz. Even coach Buzz Williams was on hand last night, the first night of the open evaluation period for coaches.

Just a sampling of our coverage on a lot of important basketball recruits and what you're missing if you're not a subscriber!:

OrTre Smith Update

Guys, I spoke last night with Wando (SC) 2017 four-star WR OrTre Smith, No. 61 in the Rivals100. No VT offer yet, but the Hokies have their eye on him.

Assistant coach Zohn Burden has reached out, but so far no offer from VT. Smith said he actually camped at VT as a freshman, so he has a little bit of familiarity. But right now, it's a mater of waiting on an offer, which should come at some point.

Smith has nine offers, but the one he really is waiting on is Clemson, which hasn't offered. I watched Smith have unbelievable camps at the Rivals Camp in Charlotte and the Five-Star Challenge, so the talent is certainly there. It's very, very surprising he doesn't have more offers.

So far, Smith's lone visit this year was to Clemson and in the next week or two, he'll be at Florida State, with hopes to see Florida and Georgia, too.

More of a wait and see here, but VT had better offer soon or they'll be left out. Here's the full story: http://rvls.co/1dK34La
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT