ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: Corey Sutton On VT Visit***

For the second time in less than a month, Hough (NC) three-star WR Corey Sutton made the trek to VT, this time for the spring game. He doesn't have an offer from the Hokies right now, but could be one of the first to get one if the Hokies lose out on some of their WR targets.

Sutton was also at VT's April 4 scrimmage, which we did a story on. Sutton does have offers from Colorado State, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern and James Madison.

Sutton said he wanted to go to see the game, but also to see two of his buddies, Mook Reynolds and Adonis Alexander. The latter got hurt during the spring game, but Sutton said he saw Alexander after the game, who said he was ok. Not sure of the specifics with Alexander.

On his visit, Sutton said he spoke with assistant coaches Shane Beamer and Zohn Burden. Beamer told him he'll be visiting for his spring practice when it starts May 21. Sutton said they told him they want to see his speed and run routes in person and he feels good about getting an offer. If that happens, the Hokies would pretty much immediately be the favorite. But I think VT knows that, too.

Sutton visited Colorado State and NC State two weeks ago and is headed to Appalachian State this weekend. He told me he'd never been to Colorado before but loved the trip and said "what they're building is pretty sweet. They've got a lot going on."

He said NC State visited him last week and that Georgia Southern visited today. Sutton also got a Gardner-Webb offer today. Absolutely no hurry here as Sutton will be camping a lot for offers and I have a feeling he'll get at least a couple.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

re : Bama CB Cyrus Jones - wasn't he runbk from Va - that at one time

was being heavily recruited by Va Tech as running back ---- but "Of Course" opted to play for Bama ---ended up not as a running back - but as a CB.

notice in paper he was arrested for domestic violence charge.......threats & destruction of girl friends phone.

who knows how his life would have been had he come to Va Tech.--- as Beamers fatherly figure may have guided him in a different direction.........unless he's really good --- Saban will likely banish him to the bench until he realizes--- from Saban's shunning that he might as well pack & leave. Now if he is really good----Saban likely to let him stew until he needs him

***INsider: Alex Faniel On VT Visit***

Guys, I spoke earlier with 2017 QB Alex Faniel, who just visited VT last weekend for the spring game. Faniel just transferred to Glen Allen (Va.) from St. Christopher's (Va.).

Faniel said this was his fourth trip to Blacksburg. He went for two games last season and the Feb. 7 junior day this year. Faniel said it was a great visit and that he'll "forever be appreciable to coach Shane Beamer. He was the first to offer. I appreciate that and I always will."

Faniel said he believes the Hokies have a "great fan base, great campus and beautiful city." He also said he likes seeing players hyped up for the spring game and loves seeing the fans who showed up in the rain in the cold. "It shows how much the program means to everyone. I love it there. It looked just as good as it did three times before."

On his visit, Faniel said he talked a lot with assistant coaches Shane Beamer and Scot Loeffler. He told me they're "full of knowledge" and that he learns something every time. He likes how Loeffler has had a lot of good quarterbacks and Faniel also said he hears the comparisons to Logan Thomas all the time. But he told me he can see why.

Right now, Faniel has offers from VT, Virginia and NC State. But he said he's also heard from South Carolina, Clemson, Miami, Penn State, Michigan State, Vanderbilt, Duke, North Carolina, UCLA, Pittsburgh and Maryland. This year, he's been to UVA's spring game, NC State visit for junior day and Penn State's junior day. And so far, Faniel said he doesn't have any favorites and he wouldn't really specify anything that's stood out so far.

Faniel is also coming off a broken bone in his left, non-throwing hand. He missed all but the final four games last season and said he suffered the injury going through tackling drills. That sounds like a big reason why he transferred schools.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

***5.1 VT INsider Chat***

Guys, I wanna apologize for not having the chat posted sooner but we're still set for 12:30 pm ET tomorrow.Spring practice has ended, but there's PLENTY to talk about with what VT showed. And though there weren't any commitments, the Hokies are still in well with a lot of targets. Come take advantage of and get the very most of your subscriptions by chatting with us!

http://bit.ly/1DNYHFN

And remember, if you can't be on the chat, you can always post a question here on the board or email me at jason.stamm@rocketmail.com.

re : Bama CB Cyrus Jones - wasn't he runbk from Va - that at one time

was being heavily recruited by Va Tech as running back ---- but "Of Course" opted to play for Bama ---ended up not as a running back - but as a CB.

notice in paper he was arrested for domestic violence charge.......threats & destruction of girl friends phone.

who knows how his life would have been had he come to Va Tech.--- as Beamers fatherly figure may have guided him in a different direction.........unless he's really good --- Saban will likely banish him to the bench until he realizes--- from Saban's shunning that he might as well pack & leave. Now if he is really good----Saban likely to let him stew until he needs him

Sick 'bout last weekends "highly unusual bad spring game weather"

Was very optimistic about spring recruiting efforts.......heading into the SPRING GAME with its usually brilliant weather and its large 40,000 ish turnout. Evidently it was a cold damp sprinkling very chilly unwelcoming reception mother nature dumped on visitors. I was in bed with viral cold-like flu.---(sinuses still loaded).
I have yet to hear of any anticipated new recruits announcements (except at UNC ,NCST, & CU).

A few recruits were asked for comments.....those interviewed offered "courteous positive" comments.....but no one seemed blown away or even hinted about commiting.. The only official change was the de-commit of Kareem Fielder----potentially to Ohio St & likely to be at our 1st game.

With Roth's departure and building pontifications about Beamers allegedly pending retirement-----
You kinda get the feeling you wouldn't be surprised to see Kate Winslet & Leo Decaprio run by with life vests

***INsider: Jauan Williams On VT Visit***

Guys, last night, I had an INsider update on four-star OL Richard Merritt. Tonight, I talked with his teammate, Jauan Williams, No. 102 in the Rivals250. It was also the first time Williams had been to VT, for the spring game.

Williams called it s "great visit" and said he saw "great facilities." He really liked meeting coach Frank Beamer and getting to take pictures with him and assistant coach Stacy Searels. Williams told me the coaches were the best part of the visit and what susprised him the most. He said he and Searels have a "real good relationship. He stays close and connected."

This spring, Williams has been to Maryland, Penn State, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee and Ohio State. He also told me Ohio State is "just somewhere I gotta go." Williams also wants to get to Florida, Florida State, Michigan, Michigan State, Georgia and Virginia this summer.

He plans on naming a top 10 on Nov. 1. Right now, I'd say the Hokies are a pretty safe bet to make that list, but we'll see past that.

Reactions: hokiebrent96

***INsider: Ellis Brooks On VT Visit***

Guys, I spoke just a bit earlier with Benedictine (Va.) 2017 LB Ellis Brooks, who visited VT this past weekend for the spring game. But unlike a lot of the other visitors, Brooks said he's lost count how many times he's been to VT.

Brooks actually told me a good story. First, his sister is a senior at VT and is set to graduate next month. He also said that his family has an RV and has made a lot of trips to a lot of different places, including to Clemson a few weeks ago for a visit. Anyway, when he was in eighth grade, he and his family drove the RV to VT to see his sister. They saw coach Frank Beamer walking out of the office and his dad said he was gonna go talk to him. Five minutes later, Brooks said Beamer and his dad walked back to the RV and that was the first time Brooks met Beamer. They talked for a few minutes and Brooks said he still remembers that vividly, as Beamer was the first head coach he spoke to.

Brooks also visited for the Hokies' Feb. 28 junior day. This past weekend, Brooks said he spoke with Beamer and assistant coach Shane Beamer, as well as defensive coordinator Bud Foster. Brooks said what was different about this time was how much he feels like his relationship with Foster has grown.

Overall, Brooks said "I see a really big possibility" with VT. He likes it and said, "I’ve been around it so long. I just know it. I think that’s why I like it."

This year, Brooks has visited Clemson, Duke, East Carolina and NC State aside from the Hokies and said he's going to Wake Forest next, though he doesn't have a date set. He told me he likes the family feel and academics of Duke, the defense and LBs coach at Clemson and the family and program building at NC State.

Long way to go here, as Brooks said he's just started getting into recruiting, but based on that story he told me and how he speaks on VT, I'd say the Hokies are in excellent shape here.

Threat to the Virginia Tech community

This morning I woke up from an email from the Virginia Tech Police Department stating that there was a threat against our community. At 11:15 p.m. last night there was a post on Yik Yak, an anonymous place to post messages, stating that "Another 4.16 moment is going to happen tomorrow. Just a warning."

This was a frightening and alarming email to receive as part of the Hokie community. This happens quite often and I'm not really sure why it is still an issue and why such a sensitive subject can turn into a cruel joke. There has been no confirmation that the person who posted the Yik Yak post has been found, but VTPD is sure that this is not a credible threat. It is still sad that this is an issue in the first place. Any thoughts?

***INsider: Richard Merritt On VT Visit***

Guys, I spoke just a few minutes ago with Archbishop Carroll (DC) four-star offensive guard Richard Merritt. He and his teammate, Rivals100 OL Jauan Williams, made their first visits to VT over the weekend, for the spring game.

Merritt and Williams got a late start. They didn't get to VT until after kickoff, stayed a few hours after the game and then headed back to DC. But in that time, Merritt said he walked around Lane Stadium, watched the game, then hung out in the player's lounge. After that, they met up with assistant coach Stacy Searels, who showed them around the rest of the facilities.

Merritt said he's already wanting to make a return, unofficial visit to spend more time with the coaches. But he said his visit was "pretty nice" and he liked it a lot.

The funny thing is when I asked him what stood out most, he said he realized watching the game that he's bigger than most of the Hokies' OL. That means "I can come in and compete and start as a true freshman." Merritt said he also really likes Searels and likes what he accomplished at LSU. Searels has told him he can be a good part of the team and can be a big benefit.

Over the last few weeks, there has been some thought that Merritt had a top two of VT and Florida State. Merritt said that's not true. "A few little things got mixed up," he said. Instead, Merritt said he's "pretty open" and actually picked up an offer from Illinois today. The two offers he's waiting on most are LSU and USC. He plans to narrow his list in the next few months, but said he's not sure when he'll decide. It sounds like the earliest right now could come when he plays in the Under Armour Game.

The attendance...

I can't say anything since I wasn't there, but I'm also 5-1/2hrs away... Was anyone else embarrassed about that turnout? I cringed every time they panned to the crowd. I understand the weather played a factor but damn...

If there are any commits today, you sure as hell know they are 100% committed...

Sick 'bout last weekends "highly unusual bad spring game weather"

Was very optimistic about spring recruiting efforts.......heading into the SPRING GAME with its usually brilliant weather and its large 40,000 ish turnout. Evidently it was a cold damp sprinkling very chilly unwelcoming reception mother nature dumped on visitors. I was in bed with viral cold-like flu.---(sinuses still loaded).
I have yet to hear of any anticipated new recruits announcements (except at UNC ,NCST, & CU).

A few recruits were asked for comments.....those interviewed offered "courteous positive" comments.....but no one seemed blown away or even hinted about commiting.. The only official change was the de-commit of Kareem Fielder----potentially to Ohio St & likely to be at our 1st game.

With Roth's departure and building pontifications about Beamers allegedly pending retirement-----
You kinda get the feeling you wouldn't be surprised to see Kate Winslet & Leo Decaprio run by with life vests

***INsider: Pete Leota On Visit***

Guys, I just got off the phone a few minutes ago with Asheville (NC) two-star OL Pete Leota, who was on hand over the weekend for VT's spring game. As I've mentioned before, there are others the Hokies have higher on their OL board than Leota, but they're keeping an eye out on him big time.

This was Leota's second visit to VT. He also attended the junior day Feb. 7. But this trip was the first time his dad made the trek to Blacksburg. Leota said they spent a lot of time talking to assistant coach Stacy Searels, who showed them around, including the weight room and the locker room and the facilities.

Leota said he loved the fan support he saw, how even for a spring game and the bad weather, a lot of people starting setting up tailgates early in the morning. He said the coaches, including assistant coach Shane Beamer, his primary recruiter, have been pitching him on the family atmosphere and how they see him being a key piece at right tackle.

In February, Leota put out a top three of VT, Boston College and North Carolina. He said that still stands and that he hopes to make a decision early in the summer. No date has been set, but it sounds like sometime in June.

Leota hasn't been to BC since last fall for a game, but did go to junior days at East Carolina and Wake Forest and was at UNC for the Duke basketball game. No other visits are planned, though he'll likely make a few more before any decision comes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT