ADVERTISEMENT

Jason - question about Lawson

It's good to see that Brewer has stepped up this spring. However, we know that back injury could start causing him problems any time.

My question is how you as well as some of the other Rivals analysts would compare Lawson vs. Deshaun Watson. I know Watson was a 5-star recruit, but Chad Morris had Watson ready to play significant minutes last year and Clemson looked like a different team when he was out there.

I think Lawson might might even have a higher NFL ceiling, given his height and ability to add size, but how do they stack up in terms of Day 1 on campus? Would be interested in hearing Mike and some of the southeast guys chime in as well. Thanks.
Reactions: Creekness

***INsider: Ellison Jordan On VT Visit***

Guys, I spoke just a few minutes ago with Gilman School (Md.) four-star DT Ellison Jordan. He visited VT this past weekend for the spring game, his third visit to Blacksburg.

Jordan said he arrived on Friday night and left early in the evening on Saturday, to get home by about 2 AM. And right now, Jordan is one of the top couple of DT targets on the board for the 2016 class. He was offered first in February of last year, visited Aug. 1 then again for the UVA game.

He called this most recent visit "cool" and said the biggest thing is that he likes the communications department at VT. Jordan likes how it's structured and met with a professor. But he didn't get to see the TV studio and wants to make a return trip in the next month or so to see it.

Saturday was also Jordan's birthday and he said his buddy Melvin Keihn made it a point to come over to the sideline before the game and tell him happy birthday. Jordan also mentioned that he liked seeing Mook Reynolds "do his thing" even though he doesn't know him personally.

As far as recruiting, Jordan said he isn't quite sure which VT coach is his main recruiter. He told me he developed a very strong relationship with former assistant coach Aaron Moorehead and still talks to him. But since Moorehead left, he talks to Charley Wiles regularly and Wiles, Torrian Gray and Cornell Brown have all been by his school to see him.

Jordan said he really likes VT. Next month, he's announcing a top 10. While he wouldn't say any definites that would make the list, he did say the four schools recruiting him hardest are VT, Penn State, Maryland and Rutgers. So it's safe to say those four will make the top 10. He also said he wants to visit Pittsburgh, Michigan State and Ohio State next, while Buckeyes coaches told him they're going to see him Thursday for his track meet.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

INsider: CJ Freeman On VT Visit

Guys, I spoke a few minutes ago with Northern Guilford (NC) three-star RB CJ Freeman, who made the trip to VT yesterday for the spring game. He's actually currently on his way back home, as he stayed Friday night and last night with his boy, Mook Reynolds.

Freeman told me he's still 'solid' with South Carolina, where he committed last month. But he said that the Hokies are a solid "number two" behind the Gamecocks. And this one definitely isn't over with.

Freeman said he loved spending time with Mook and that his favorite part was meeting Kevin Jones. He said he definitely remembers watching Jones on TV and loved that Jones said he's seen Freeman's film and liked what he saw.

Right now, the only other school in contention with SC and VT is Auburn. No visits are planned, but this one has gotten interesting. The Hokies have picked back up recruiting Freeman with the uncertainty surrounding Shai McKenzie.

To get an idea how much fun Freeman had on his visit, check out this video he posted while he was hanging out on Friday night with Mook:

Login to view embedded media
Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

VT Wins Golf Title

Guys, meant to post this last night, but a big victory this weekend for Hokies golf:

Virginia Tech golfer Trevor Cone finished with a three-round total of 11-under-par 205 and finished in a three-way tie for the ACC Men’s Golf Championshipon Sunday afternoon. The tournament was played this weekend at the par 72, 7,102-yard Old North State Club in New London, North Carolina.

Cone, a senior from Concord, North Carolina, was the leader entering the final round and shot 1-under 71 in Sunday’s final round. He joined Anders Albertson of Georgia Tech and Robin Sciot-Siegrist of Louisville at 205, as all three were declared tri-champions. Cone becomes the Hokies’ first-ever ACC men’s golf champion and the school’s first individual conference champion since Ryan Stinnett won the 2004 Big East championship in the Hokies’ final year in the league.

The Tech men’s golf team posted a three-day total of 8-under 856 and finished sixth at the championship. The Hokies posted a 4-under-par 284 in the opening round on Friday and bettered that with a 7-under 281 on Saturday for their 565 total. Tech shot a 3-over 291 on Sunday for the 856 total.

Scott Vincent, a senior from Harare, Zimbabwe, finished in 10th place at 4-under 212 and Maclain Huge, a junior from Lovettesville, Virginia finished tied for 20th at 1-under 215. Joey Lane, a sophomore from Great Falls, Virginia, finished tied for 49th place at 229 and Drew Johnson, a sophomore from Oak Ridge, North Carolina, finished in 57th place at 233.

Defending champion Georgia Tech defeated Clemson in the second hole of a playoff and claimed the team title at 19-under 845. Florida State finished third at 846, Virginia was fourth at 833 and North Carolina at 854, two strokes ahead of the Hokies. Louisville was seventh at 866, Wake Forest was eighth at 869 and NC State was ninth at 884. Duke was 10th at 886, Notre Dame was 11th at 911 and Boston College was 12th at 913.

The Hokies will now wait for the NCAA Selection Show on May 4 to learn their fate for NCAA regionals.

***INsider: Wayne Davis On VT Visit***

Guys, I didn't get a chance to post this last night, but I spoke late last night with Lake Taylor (Va.) four-star CB Wayne Davis. This weekend, he made his first visit to VT, for the spring game.

Davis said "It was a good visit overall" and he liked seeing all the facilities and the atmosphere at the game. He said he liked how he felt when he talked to and hung out with the current players. He said the visit also lived up ti his expectations.

One big thing that helps VT here is that Davis made the trip with Hokies commit Deshawn McClease, who Davis regularly works out with. And on his visit, they stayed with JC Coleman, who showed them around campus. They stayed with JC Saturday night, after arriving in VT around lunch on Saturday.

Davis said nothing has changed in how he sees the Hokies and it sounds like they're still on top. But again, while they would take Davis, there's other guys higher on the board at DB right now.

Davis visited East Carolina last weekend for the Pirates' spring game. He has a visit set to Ohio State for May 29-31, but that's the only visit he has set for now. And while a cut down will likely happen this summer, there's no date set for that either. But VT will be in it until the end.

***INsider: Eric Crosby on VT Visit

Guys, I just got off the phone with Ocean Lakes (Va.) Rivals100 for 2017 ATH Eric Crosby, who was at VT this weekend. This is a kid who I saw at the Rivals Camp in Richmond, who was very excited for this visit.

First off, this was Crosby's second visit to VT in less than a month. He also visited for the coaches clinic March 28-30 with his coach and Rivals100 teammate, Khalan Laborn. Unfortunately, Laborn didn't make this trip and I'm not sure the reason.

Crosby said he and his coaches and teammates Tahj Capehart and Tre Hubbard made the trip and got to Blacksburg Friday night. They left this morning and just got back home about an hour ago.

On this visit, Crosby said he got to walk around more and liked the overall atmosphere. He said he spent a lot of time talking to assistant coaches Zohn Burden and Bryan Stinespring and said both told him how normally, the environment would be 10 times better, with 10 times more people. But still, Crosby's favorite thing about VT, as it has been, is that there are doctors and physicians on site and he loved seeing all the stuff in the training room, rehab and everything with the athletic training department.

This is the only school Crsoby has seen in over the last month and says he has nothing planned coming up. But he said he does want to visit Ohio State, Florida State, Tennessee, NC State and Maryland this summer.

Long way to go here, but VT is in excellent shape right now.

Never again

In the past I have openly stated that we had too many RB's. Come this summer this is where we will be at RB :
JC, Tre, Travon, Steven, DJ, Sam, Jerome, McClease, Shai (rehab, maybe), Marshawn (rehab, maybe) Caleb (reassigned but he can still run).
I will never complain again about having too many. Instead I'm going to be praying that all 11 that we have will not suffer any serious injuries as we have had in recent years.

***4.24 VT INsider Chat Details***

Guys, the spring game is this weekend, capping spring football and what will also be a HUGE weekend for recruiting. At 12:30 pm ET tomorrow, come get the very latest and get all your VT related questions answered.

Feel free to ask any football, basketball, recruiting or any other Hokies questions and get all the info you've been dying to know. Come take advantage of and get the very most out of your subscriptions!

http://bit.ly/1IMGgEJ

***INsider: Confirmed Spring Game Visitors***

Guys, I gave you all a peak last week in the INsider chat at the names who had confirmed they would be attending VT's spring game on Saturday. That list has grown a bit and will likely continue to do so. Here's who we've got so far, with recruiting coach at the end. I'll be updating the list as more are confirmed:

(NOTE: The Hokies are expecting around 100 kids, but we'll be tracking the most notable ones)

QB Dwayne Haskins, Bullis School (Md.), four stars, No. 68 in Rivals100, No. 4 P-S QB, No. 3 in MD -- Loeffler
OL Jauan Williams, Archbishop Carroll (DC), four stars, No. 102 in Rivals250, No. 9 OT, No. 2 in DC -- Searels
OL Richard Merritt, Archbishop Carroll (DC), four stars, No. 12 OG, No. 4 in DC -- Searels
CB Wayne Davis, Lake Taylor (Va.), four stars, No. 20 CB. No. 7 in VA -- Burden
DT Ellison Jordan, Gilman School (Md.), four stars, No. 23 DT, No. 11 in MD -- Brown/Wiles
WR Jovani Haskins, Bergenfield (NJ), four stars, No. 27 ATH, No. 11 in NJ -- Brown
WR Sam Denmark, Hanahan (SC), three stars, No. 11 in SC (VT COMMIT) -- Beamer/Burden
Safety Reggie Floyd, Stonewall Jackson (Va.), three stars, No. 28 RB, No. 17 in VA, (VT COMMIT)-- Gray
WR Eric Kumah, Forest Park (Va.), three stars, No. 21 in VA -- Foster
DB Jovonn Quillen, Hampton (Va.), three stars, No. 30 in VA -- Brown
OT Jarrett Hopple, Nansemond River (Va.), three stars, No. 34 in VA (VT COMMIT) -- Searels/Stinespring
WR Corey Sutton, Hough (NC), three stars, No. 36 in NC (NO OFFER) -- Beamer
OL Pete Leota, Asheville (NC), two stars, No. 49 in NC -- Searels
LB Emmanuel Belmar, Collins Hill (Ga.), three stars -- Gray
CB Troy Pride, Greer (SC), three stars (VT COMMIT)
ATH Victor Greene, Courtland (Va.), two stars, (VT COMMIT) -- Foster
DT Clay Dean, Woodgrove (Va.), two stars (VT COMMIT) -- Gray
OLB Cheyton Pine, Lafayette (Va.) (NO OFFER) -- Brown
CB Deon Jones, Archbishop Carroll (DC), four stars, Rivals100 to watch for 2017 -- Searels/Burden
FB/DE Eric Crosby, Ocean Lakes (Va.), four stars, Rivals100 to watch for 2017 -- Burden
LB Ellis Brooks, Benedictine (Va.) (2017) -- Beamer
ATH Tahj Capehart, Ocean Lakes (2017) -- Burden
QB Alex Faniel, Glen Allen (Va.) (2017) -- Beamer
CB Justice Mayo, Highland Springs (Va.) (2017) (NO OFFER) -- Beamer
LB Teradja Mitchell, Bayside (Va.) (2018) -- Burden

We'll be adding any more names as they're confirmed, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.
Reactions: cmmcclu

***Breaking: Felder Decommits***

Guys, for those of you signed up on text alerts, you already know, but St Frances (Md.) three-star CB Kareem Felder reacked out to us a few minutes ago to say that he's decommitted from VT. He's still considering the Hokies, but Ohio State is now the odds on favorite at this point, with Clemson not far behind.

He's already hinted at a new decision coming late next week, so not looking great for VT at this point.

I just spoke to him on the phone, so I'll add more on this in just a few minutes.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT