ADVERTISEMENT

** 3.2 Run in Remembrance**

Yesterday was a big day for the Hokie community as the 3.2 Run in Remembrance commenced at 9 a.m. There were about 11,000 people that ran the course that day. Those 11,000 people were running throughout Virginia Tech's campus honoring the 32 victims of the April 16 shootings eight years ago.

I was one of those 11,000 people. This was my third year running in the 3.2 run and it had to have been the best one yet. Running through Oak Lane and down Washington Street there were chants of "Let's Go" "Hokies" and words of encouragement trickled down the thousands of people that ran through the course until the end of the run, where people were cheering, chanting and giving high fives to the finishers.

Seeing the Hokie pride and all of the participants supporting those we lost on April 16 was such a powerful feeling. There are so many traditions that are apart of the Hokie Nation and although this is a newer tradition, it is worth every mile.

This post was edited on 4/19 6:59 PM by Jason Stamm

Ahmir Mitchell Names Top 6

At the Rivals Camp Series stop in NJ today, Rivals100 WR Ahmir Mitchell named a top 6 of Rutgers, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, VT and Ole Miss, but said Rutgers is on top right now.

He did have some good things to say about the Hokies:

"It's a place where they play a lot of young guys. They had a lot of young receivers playing and with me, I'm trying to go in and play as soon as possible. That took some very close interest in my eyes and I'm from Virginia."

This post was edited on 4/19 10:55 PM by Jason Stamm

Mitchell at RCS NJ

***INsider: 4.18 Scrimmage Notes

Guys, just got back from today's scrimmage. Brittany will be along later as well to add to this and she'll have a few write-ups coming, but here's what jumped out today:

*While quarterbacks Michael Brewer and Brenden Motley were still in yellow for no tackling, Andrew Ford were both live. And Ford got lit up on a few plays. Combined, they completed 18-37 passes for 225 yards. Brewer had three touchdowns and Motley had two touchdowns. Seriously, Ford had no chance most of the day. His protection on the third team was atrocious. Chris Durkin is out for the spring with a separated shoulder.

**JC Coleman had three carries for 44 yards on the first few series then was done for the day. The Hokies wanted to get a lot of work for Steven Peoples and did. He spent most of the day with the first team not only at fullback, but also at running back. And though he wasn't productive numbers-wise, he looks like he's feeling more comfortable. He is having to be directed a little still, like when Shane Beamer had to tell Peoples to stop when he was splitting out at WR.

***Mook Reynolds seems to have his ups and downs, which is about what you would expect. Early in the scrimmage, he ran into Greg Stroman on a punt return, as both were calling for the ball, which was Stroman's to call for. But Mook made up for it with some nice plays on defense, He finished with four tackles.

****The other DBs who have really generated a lot of talk are Chuck Clark and CJ Reavis. Bud Foster said CJ will be starting as of right now at safety. And with Clark, there's a chance he could move from corner to safety or even play both. Clark said he doesn't mind either, but feels more comfortable at corner, since that's what he's used to.

*****I've said it multiple times, but today again showed that maybe the weakest position on the team right now is center. Eric Gallo has the starting spot locked down and looks solid. But behind him, it's been a struggle to find anyone who can snap the ball. Tyrell Smith had one moment with two bad snaps in a row, was replaced by Colt Pettitt and then he had a bad snap. I lost count, but there were at least 6 bad snaps. Offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler said that might result in there being more times when the QB is under center, which isn't what he wants to do. It'll help when Kyle Chung is back from injury, but the Hokies will struggle if Gallo goes down.

******The receiver I was probably most impressed with was tight end Ryan Malleck. He had a few good catches in the flat and had another nifty one in the right corner of the end zone on a fade route that the official ruled juggled and/or out of bounds. I heard the officials say that play would have likely been reviewed and overturned. Bucky Hodges made the play of the day a few plays later, though, when he made a one-handed catch over Stroman in the left corner of the end zone for a touchdown.

*******Not sure what happened with DE Seth Dooley, but he limped off the field midway through the scrimmage with a right ankle injury. I think he just rolled it, as the trainers weren't in a huge hurry to cart him off. Even then, he rode in the front seat.

********I like the direction Kevin Asante is headed. He had a near touchdown that was tipped away by safety Adonis Alexander in the left corner of the end zone and on the next play, VT went back to him, as Motley hit him for a six-yard touchdown catch on a crossing pattern in the back of the end zone.

*********I do like where Alexander is, too. He had the breakup I mentioned and also an impressive breakup on a deep, 40+ yard pass from Brewer to Demitri Knowles. Alexander has good instincts and great closing ability.

**********I know a lot has been made of Vinny Mihota and what position he'll play. Mihota played both at tackle and at end today and after watching him, I think he could play either. He does still have a few kinks to work out, like when he jumped offsides, but VT needs more depth and it needs Mihota to be the guy to step up.

Brittany will add more, as well as more stories.

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.[/B]

INsider: VT defense practice 4/17

It is getting closer to the spring game and the Hokies are
preparing to show what the defense is all about in the next week. In this
week's practice, the question of weight, size and the hardest hitters were among
the topics discussed.

Coming right out of high school and enrolling early at
Virginia Tech in 2014, Vinny Mihota
is turning heads in this year's spring practice. The 6-foot-5 redshirt freshman
has looked to pack on the weight, adding at least 20-pounds to his incoming
weight of 250-pounds in 2014. Last spring Mihota practiced at defensive end,
which was what he played in high school, but was moved to the defensive tackle
position. As a result of the injuries and lack of defensive ends, Mihota may
have the opportunity to move back to his familiar position.

Last season redshirt sophomore Jamieon Moss playing all 13 games for the Hokies as a linebacker
and also participated in special teams. This spring, Moss is in competition
with Raymon Minor as one of the
outside linebackers in the fall. A lot of talk with Moss at practice Friday was
about hard hitters, in which he considered himself one of them. Others that he
noted were Dadi Nicolas and Ken Ekanem.

Junior cornerback Chuck
Clark
had a successful fall season, starting 11 of the 13 games and playing
in all 13 games. Coming into the spring season, Clark is still listed as a
starter at cornerback, but it is likely that Clark may move to safety or rover
to replace Kyshoen Jarrett and Detrick Bonner. Clark talked a lot
about the confidence and the cheering teammates on the sidelines through
practice, which as Clark pointed out, will boost the morale of the team.

Melvin Keihn was
a true freshman last year, playing in all 13 games last season. This spring, Wiles
has placed his concern with Keihn, saying he thought he would be further along.
Keihn will be fighting for the back-up position behind Nicolas and Ekanem.
Keihn has said that he is working hard and continuing to show the coaches that
he is the best for the starting position, but based off of Wiles has said, his
back-up job may be in jeopardy.

Hokies Checking Out VA, DC, MD

Guys, got another update from VT staff sources and recruits where a few coaches were visiting today, the first day of the open recruiting period:

Assistant coach Stacy Searels started the day at Dematha (Md.), where he visited with Rivals250 WR Josh Ball at Stafford (Va.).

Defensive coordinator Bud Foster was in the Woodbridge area, seeing four-star DE Victor Greene at Courtland (Va.).

Assistant coach Torrian Gray was in northern VA today, stopping by St Frances (Md.) first to see three-star commit Joe Goff.

Assistant coach Zohn Burden was in the Tidewater region, seeing Grassfield (Va.) three-star WR Grant Holloway, Ocean Lakes (Va.) and Lake Taylor (Va.)

Assistant coach Bryan Stinespring was also in Tidewater and stopped by Western Branch (Va.), Oscar Smith (Va.) and Indian River (Va.), the latter to see four-star LB Jaquan Yulee.

Assistant coach Cornell Brown was on the peninsula side of Tidewater, to see Vt commit Cheyton Pine.

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.[/B]

This post was edited on 4/15 10:34 PM by Jason Stamm

Run For remembrance & Scrimmage

Just so you guys are aware, those of you coming to the scrimmage at VT tomorrow: BLACKSBURG -[/B] The Virginia Tech football team will hold the second of its three open practices Saturday starting at 10:45 a.m. inside Lane Stadium, but parking will be affected by the University's 3.2 Run in Remembrance.

Because of the race, fans coming to the practice will need to park in the Chicken Hill lot (Lot 5), located at the corner of Tech Center Drive and Southgate, or Lot 4. Lots 1, 2 and 3 will all be inaccessible until after the run is completed and the route has been cleared, which is expected to be right around the start time of the practice. Spring Road, Washington Street and other main roads on the south end of campus will be closed from 8 a.m. until the run is over, thus the Chicken Hill Lot and Lot 4 will be the only lots guaranteed to be accessible.

The only gate open will be gate 3, at the southwest corner of the stadium by the John Moody Flagpole Plaza. Fans will be allowed to sit on the west side of the stadium only. There will be no entrance to the field after the scrimmage.

The run begins at 9 a.m. in front of Eggleston Hall on the Drillfield and winds through campus, eventually going through/past Lane Stadium. Please note that the route does include Lane Stadium by entering through the tunnel that the football team enters through for every home game, but this will close just before 10 a.m. for the scrimmage. At that point, runners will be directed down Spring Road on the outside of the stadium and to turn left into the South End Zone Lot to begin the final portion of the run.

To find more information on the run, click here. http://www.recsports.vt.edu/ events/2015-day-remembrance- 32-mile-run-remembrance

To find the route map, click here. https://www.recsports.vt.edu/ sites/drupal.recsports.vt.edu/ files/pages/2015-03-06%2013% 3A26/2015Map-1.jpg

Tech will have a third open practice/scrimmage on April 18 and will wrap up its spring practice session with the annual Maroon-Orange Spring Game on Saturday, April 25 at 2 p.m.

INsider: VT & 2016 DBs

Guys, last month, way before Landon Dickerson blew up, I posted on here that he was one of the top OL targets for VT in the 2016 class. now, I have a little more clarity on DBs.

The Hokies want to take preferably one more, but no more than two defensive backs in the class. I can tell you right now, that over the past few weeks, they've basically drastically slowed down recruiting Atlee (Va.) three-star safety JJ Givens and Lake Taylor (Va.) four-star Wayne Davis. I'm told that they would still take commitments from both, but would rather take others. I'm also told by sources that they just aren't fans of how they move and don't think they would be as good of fits as others still on the board. Davis is still visiting for the spring game.

The top target right now is Rivals250 DB Patrice Rene from Episcopal (Va.), whom assistant coach Torrian Gray visited on Wednesday. The Hokies also love Rivals250 safety Marlon Character from Grady (Ga.) and three-star Jalen Elliott from LC Bird (Va.). But Elliott is a kid they've told that they aren't gonna wait around on. They hope he'll commit soon, but will probably move on if he hasn't by the middle of the summer.

As always, things can change, but this is the current stance right now.

This post was edited on 4/17 11:27 AM by Jason Stamm

Eric Winter On Message Board

Guys, the main board has already been changed over to the new format. Our boards are next in line. Here's a post that Eric Winter, the head of Rivals, had on the new boards, the other day:

Hey everyone,

Just a quick head's up that Rivals.com will be launching brand spanking new "National" Message Boards early Thursday morning. Starting at approximately 9 p.m. PT Wednesday night, Rivals.com will begin the process of migrating data for the following Message Boards: High School Sports Central and for you National Pastime fans - College Baseball Clubhouse.

Once the migration is complete (approximately 4 to 5 hours with no major complications), the new Rivals.com "National" Message Boards will be live and ready for your enjoyment. The Rivals.com team will monitor the new boards for the next 72 hours, and if all goes well, we intend on launching the new Message Boards across every site in the network (including your home sites) this coming Monday night/Tuesday early am.

Here are some of the new Features & Benefits for the new Rivals.com Message Boards:

1. They are a responsive design[/B]; meaning, they were designed for desktop, tablets and mobile - all in one design and all at the same URL. No need to go to a different address to get the proper version for your device

2. They have a modern, secure and actively maintained framework built for speed & stability

3. There will be no[/B] limit on Thread History, so you can reference old topics or replies at any time

4. There is Private Messaging, Social Profiles and Rich(er) Content - embeddable video, embeddable Tweets, etc

5. You now can set up alerts[/B] and follow users [/B]so you don't miss replies to topics you're participating in or miss great posts from your favorite users. In yourNews Feed[/B] you'll be able to see all of the topics, users, and content that you wish to follow.

6. Dynamic quoting system [/B]so what you select within a thread can be quoted without copying and pasting any code. You select what you want to quote and click Reply over that selection, and it will be put automatically in your reply. You can quote multiple posts[/B] and automatic quoting[/B] is set up so that you can always follow the conversation with a user forgetting to quote.

7. Improved navigation[/B] and search[/B]: quickly jump to the first unread post in a thread or to the top and bottom of each thread. Advanced search features include by keyword, date or thread title.

Once we launch Thursday morning, you will notice a pinned post titled: "Help! How Do I ... for the New Rivals.com Message Boards." Click on that link and you will have numerous threads walking you through everything you need to help make your Message Board experience a truly fun and dynamic one.

Thank you for being a Rivals.com subscriber. Your loyalty to Rivals.com and its local publisher sites is one of the reasons we continue to have the strongest community in the business.

The Rivals.com team and I will have more Product enhancement announcements in May ... and more to come after that.

Hokies, I was still finishing up my last semester at WKU at the time, but I remember exactly what I was doing when I heard the news. I'd just walked into the office at the campus newspaper, the College Heights Herald and every TV was tuned to what was going on. Absolutely horrific set of events that resulted in 32 lives lost.

What were you doing when you heard the news eight years ago?

President Sands Tweet

A few days ago, president Sands tweeted the letter he sent to Malia Obama. He thoroughly explains to her why Virginia Tech would be a fantastic choice. Hitting all of the main points such as best food, great football, and a tight-knit community lifestyle, President Sands hopes to persuade her into being a Hokie. People replied back to his tweet with corrections, approval, and eagarness. The link to his tweet is below.

https://twitter.com/VTSandsman/status/587725621821894656

VT Busy In NC

Guys, I know some of you have asked me about where VT is visiting, as far as recruits. I can tell you from VT staff sources that Shane Beamer and Charley Wiles were in NC today.

Beamer started off the day visiting OL Josh Brown.

Wiles started out the day at Asheboro (NC) to see four-star DE Diondre Overton.

More info coming and I'll be following up with each of these guys very soon.

***4.17 VT INsider Chat Details***

Guys, we're back at 12:30 pm tomorrow for another big chat. We just finished up the two biggest camps as far as VT recruits, on the camp circuit this year. Even the Hokies' own camps won't have that much talent assembled. Tomorrow, we'll recap the past week, as far as recruiting and spring practice and answer any questions that you have on either or anything else to do with VT. Come take advantage of and get the very most out of your subscriptions!

Click HERE for this week's INsider Chat!

Jonathan Smith at RCS Charlotte

Guys, I mentioned it the other day, but kinda under the radar, LB Jonathan Smith visited VT on Friday. I'm told by my VT staff sources that they thought the trip went well, but that Smith was only on campus literally for about three hours, to watch practice. He didn't stay around too long, which they were kinda disappointed in. I don't get a sense that Smith is leaning anywhere right now, though Georgia Tech, where he's visiting Friday, will definitely be a player. We'll see how this one plays out.

Smith talks VT, upcoming
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT