ADVERTISEMENT

recruit commitments - people excited about "recruiting hauls..

and number of stars each recruit has"...... re a famous coach my father used to know & quote ....."that & a nickel will get you a cup of coffee" when it comes to a recruits commitment......many continue to visit and look around.....they are easily swayed and conned elsewhere by friends, parents desires, & their high school coaches. Even if sign the LOI ---it can be gotten out of.... the premiere programs are loaded with 3-4 years of premiere recruits that rarely if ever end up on the field or contribute significantly to the program.....sometimes the high profile programs will take a marginal recruits wanted by rival programs only to suggest they transfer elsewhere a yr or so later ...some have attended expensive high profile camps where counselors over rate # of stars etc to get their kids scholarships (establish a camps rep & the fees it can charge)....and camp coaches build their own reputations and claims of high levels of expertise.,,,,, kind of like selling cars.... its a cut throat game...

After Beamer's program took off and quickly gained a national reputation in all facets....following a series of issues/ problems on & off the field with "look at me" recruits with big mouths & over-inflated egos....Beamer dialed back on recruiting or going after any recruit that didn't have the "CLASS" or 'CHARACTER" to match the recruits walk, talk, and ability to earn their degree and represent themselves, their families, and the university well. Beamer enjoys the comraderie of coaching and mentoring the players...... his program is meat & potatoes. --- no surprises ---drama free.. He learned a lot from Michael Marcus, and Deangelo , He has honed his staff & his program to where the only drama that takes in his program is what takes place on the field. Its like buying a car......you do your research. He has chosen the "consumer reports" approach towards
getting a reliable, no surprises, "steady as she goes" ---- results versus a Vegas high roller approach. that may not yield any possibility or consideration of contending for a position in the the national championship final four.....but will likely insure his standing as one of/ if not the winningest cfball d-1 coaches of all time.

***INsider: Victor Greene On Jr Day***

Guys, I spoke earlier with Courtland (Va.) athlete Victor Greene. He's another recruit who was on hand at Virginia Tech's junior day last weekend. This was his first trip to Blacksburg since he visited for the Hokies' win over Virginia on Thanksgiving weekend.

VT is still Greene's only offer, but the Hokies have made a decent push for him so far. Greene said he loved taking pictures in a VT uniform that the team had set up on junior day. Greene also spent a lot of time talking with coach Frank Beamer and defensive coordinator Bud Foster.

Overall, Greene said this was more of a "refresher" with Virginia Tech. He told me he has the Hokies in very high standing after the visit and right now, the only other visit he has planned is a junior day next month to North Carolina.

And as far as his position, Greene is still being recruited as an athlete. He played running back and defensive back in high school, but at 6'0" and 205 pounds, Greene said he thinks everyone is waiting to see if he'll grow more.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.[/B]

Victor Greene profile

***INsider: Tavante Beckett Update***

Guys, I spoke a little while ago with three-star LB Tavante Beckett. Formerly at Oscar Smith (Va.), he just transferred to Indian River (Va.) and visited VT this past weekend for junior day.

Beckett last visited Blacksburg for camp last July. He told me he got to spend a lot more one-on-one time with the VT staff. Beckett also said he got a good 'vibe' while he was on campus and spent a lot of time talking with defensive coordinator Bud Foster and coach Frank Beamer. Both told him they like how he plays, but right now, Beckett doesn't have an offer.

The only offer Beckett has is from Delaware. But Beckett said he believes he just needs to show his speed to coaches and how he can play on the hashes and sideline to sideline. Up next, Beckett said he'll be at Wake Forest's junior day this weekend and also plans to go to junior days at Maryland and Clemson.

I really believe if VT offers, he could be very tempted to take it right there. And I get the feeling the Hokies staff thinks that, too, so they want to be sure. Beckett said he grew up a VT fan and still is. So we'll basically see how it goes with the Hokies and their other LB targets, but Beckett could be an offer later on in the summer.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.[/B]

Tavante Beckett profile

Podcast 007: Jason Stamm

Hey Guys:

Every year I write an article about which college programs did the best job recruiting in-state kids (based off of commitments) and this year, as a companion to that piece, Jason and I chatted through a podcast which can be accessed via the link below.

Not a ton of ground-breaking stuff but should be an enjoyable listen for Hokie fans with free time (just over 50 minutes long).

Podcast 007: Jason Stamm

***INsider: Donald Stewart & VT***

Guys, the last of my updates on the Paramus Catholic (NJ) guys who visited VT for Saturday's junior day. I also spoke with two-star WR Donald Stewart, who made the trip with his teammates, which included five-star DT Rashan Gary and 2018 QB Allan Walters.

Stewart right now does not have a VT offer, but has offers from Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, Wake Forest, Illinois and Boston College. This is a kid who will be borderline getting a Hokies offer, probably dependent on what happens with some of the guys who have offers right now, but Stewart is on the board.

This was his first visit to VT, but he said he loved the atmosphere and also how long so many of the coaches have been with the Hokies. Stewart said he also liked the graduation rate, as well.

Stewart did meet with new receivers coach Zohn Burden and they watched his film together and critiqued. Burden didn't offer Stewart at Old Dominion, but he had been in contact and was recruiting him.

This is a kid who I think will probably get three stars at least, later on in the process. He has work to do, but the potential is there. Likely no decision until at least summer and he plans on visiting Syracuse, Wake Forest and Rutgers among others, coming.

Donald Stewart profile

***INsider: Tino Ellis After VT Jr Day***

Guys, I spoke earlier with Dematha (Md.) four-star WR Tino Ellis, ranked No. 133 in the Rivals250. Ellis is a kid I've been watching and keeping track of for almost three years now. I first saw him at VT's camp in June of 2012 before his freshman year. He's cousins with Donovan Riley and played with Cam Phillips at Dematha.

Ellis has visited VT a lot through the years, for games or camps or just to see Riley, so he's been in the mix for a while. But the big thing is right now, Ellis said that after this past weekend, "VT was my best visit so far, so they're number one." He's already named a top five a few weeks ago with the Hokies, Maryland, Rutgers, West Virginia and Wake Forest.

This past weekend, Ellis said he went with his parents and his uncle and they went 30 minutes early to speak with new WRs coach Zohn Burden. Ellis said he liked Burden a lot and that Burden told him he could be a thousand-yard receiver at VT. But after meeting Burden and talking with coach Frank Beamer, Ellis said he and his family basically spent the day with Phillips. They stayed with the Jr day group for a little bit, but broke off with Phillips after that, walked around campus, ate on campus and hung out in his dorm.

Ellis is busy this week, though still. He'll be at Maryland for a quick visit, to see the Terps play basketball tomorrow against Indiana, then he'll be at Wake Forest's junior day Saturday.He's set a decision date for July 31.

There's plenty of time right now, but VT is in the lead here. It looks like it will for sure come down to VT and MD, so we'll see who can win him over in the end.

Tino Ellis profile

recruit commitments - people excited about "recruiting hauls..

and number of stars each recruit has"...... re a famous coach my father used to know & quote ....."that & a nickel will get you a cup of coffee" when it comes to a recruits commitment......many continue to visit and look around.....they are easily swayed and conned elsewhere by friends, parents desires, & their high school coaches. Even if sign the LOI ---it can be gotten out of.... the premiere programs are loaded with 3-4 years of premiere recruits that rarely if ever end up on the field or contribute significantly to the program.....sometimes the high profile programs will take a marginal recruits wanted by rival programs only to suggest they transfer elsewhere a yr or so later ...some have attended expensive high profile camps where counselors over rate # of stars etc to get their kids scholarships (establish a camps rep & the fees it can charge)....and camp coaches build their own reputations and claims of high levels of expertise.,,,,, kind of like selling cars.... its a cut throat game...

After Beamer's program took off and quickly gained a national reputation in all facets....following a series of issues/ problems on & off the field with "look at me" recruits with big mouths & over-inflated egos....Beamer dialed back on recruiting or going after any recruit that didn't have the "CLASS" or 'CHARACTER" to match the recruits walk, talk, and ability to earn their degree and represent themselves, their families, and the university well. Beamer enjoys the comraderie of coaching and mentoring the players...... his program is meat & potatoes. --- no surprises ---drama free.. He learned a lot from Michael Marcus, and Deangelo , He has honed his staff & his program to where the only drama that takes in his program is what takes place on the field. Its like buying a car......you do your research. He has chosen the "consumer reports" approach towards
getting a reliable, no surprises, "steady as she goes" ---- results versus a Vegas high roller approach. that may not yield any possibility or consideration of contending for a position in the the national championship final four.....but will likely insure his standing as one of/ if not the winningest cfball d-1 coaches of all time.

College polls

Last night's UConn-South Carolina game proved that most pollsters do not know what they are doing. For most of the year, SC was ranked #1 and UConn #2. Even the dumbest person within NCAA/Media should have known UConn is best team in the nation. Yet pollsters voted SC #1 week after week.
For the record, #2 UConn beat #1 South Carolina by 25 points. Every poll voter who voted UConn #2 should be dismissed as a voter, for lack of knowledge.

Virginia Tech vs Ohio State tickets???

Hello,

I'm new here but am a huge fan of college football and decided I finally wanna start visiting some of the stadiums for this upcoming season. I gotta start planning now and I decided Lane stadium is one I wanna venture to this year, with that said I see Ohio State is playing you guys this year and its gotta be the biggest game of the year.

Was just wondering if somebody could help me out and give me some insight on how to get tickets for such a big game without having to pay an arm and a leg? Everywhere I looked its all second hand sites like stubhub selling the tickets and jacking up the prices........there going for over $300 even for the nose bleeds. Is this normal? Whatever happened to gate prices for the genreral public or have they just not gone on sale yet?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Graduate Assistants

I noted that Univ of Tenn had a great recruiting year for 2015 and has some key commitments already for 2016.

They have 8 graduate assistants, basically one for every position coach. These guys are young, former players and often from the surrounding colleges.

Plus, they have an attractive woman in charge of on-campus recruiting.

Is this playing out for them in the recruiting realm? The GAs keep the frequent contact alive and speak the recruits' "language". The position coaches keep in touch and speak to how great they are and how they'll "fit in". The the campus tour with young co-eds to make the trip and events more fun.

Question is - How do we stack up?

***INsider: No. 2 Player, Rashan Gary On VT***

Guys, I just got off the phone with the No. 2 player in the 2016 Rivals100, Paramus Catholic (NJ) DT Rashan Gary. He's on his way back home with his teammates, 2016 WR Donald Stewart and 2018 QB Allan Walters, who visited VT for the Hokies junior day yesterday. And as I've mentioned on here before, Gary was also at the Military Bowl, with the family of OL Billy Ray Mitchell, wearing VT gear.

Gary said this was his first trip to VT. But he said he loved the family environment and how, "when it comes to education, they have that down pat." Gary said he also spent plenty of time with assistant coaches Cornell Brown, his recruiter, Charley Wiles and coach Frank Beamer. All three told him how he could have an instant impact. Gary also said, "they have the perfect scheme that I could fit in" and he loves the Hokies' reputation.

With Mitchell, Gary said they did catch up and hang out yesterday. Gary and his teammates also went to the VT basketball game. But while Gary said he and Mitchell are very good friends, he made it clear that Mitchell won't influence his decision. Obviously, though, those guys are tight and Gary said Mitchell "knows what I need."

Long way to go here, but VT is in excellent shape. This was Gary's first visit this year and he said he has a lot of other places he wants to visit, though he didn't name any specifically. He did say he'd be travelling more with his teammates, though, who mentioned wanting to visit Rutgers, Syracuse and others. All three will also be at the Rivals Camp Series stop in New Jersey in April

But Gary said right now, he plans on deciding next signing day. He told me the only way he'd announce earlier would be at next year's Under Armour All-American Game, which he's playing in. He sounds pretty wide open still, but the Hokies definitely have a very realistic shot here.

Rashan Gary profile

***INsider: 2018 QB Sees VT Jr Day***

Guys, I alluded to it earlier in the Rashan Gary post, but I also spoke today with Paramus Catholic (NJ) 2018 quarterback Allan Walters. He visited VT for yesterday's junior day, along with Gary and their teammate, 2016 WR Donald Stewart. They actually all three passed the phone around while on their drive home today.

Walters does not currently have a VT offer, but it will likely come at some point. Right now, as just a freshman, he has a Rutgers offer.

This was Walters' first trip to Blacksburg. He told me he really enjoyed the visit, the atmosphere and that the facilities "blew me away." Walters said he especially spent time with offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler, which was his favorite part of the trip. He said Loeffler put him on the spot in talking coverages and that he did well. But he was also floored by some crazy scenarios that Loeffler put on a white board.

Walters still likely has some growing to do. He's already 6'2" and 200 pounds, but that growth spurt is a big reason why schools are waiting, to see how he fills out. Walters said this was his first junior day, but that he hopes to get to a lot of others and rattled off Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Wake forest, North Carolina, Penn State, Michigan and Tennessee as possibilities.

LOOOOOONG way to go here, but VT at least in early in Walters' recruitment.

Allan Walters profile
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT