ADVERTISEMENT

That was a brutal loss to Syracuse last night.

I am very happy with Jalen Hudson's performance and he played hard, something Buzz has been on him about for a while now. Shane Henry had a nice game - that is what we need from him, hustle, rebounds, steals, garbage points. I really hope he continues to improve. Ahmed Hill and Satchel Pierce had tough days being 0-10 from the field combined. Justin Bibbs is a star right now, that kid can ball. Adam Smith has settled in as a scorer. Malik Mueller has had 3 good games in a row now. Devin Wilson needs to work on his offensive game this offseason - he only had 1 field goal attempt in 20 minutes.

We need big men in the worst way.

Turnovers cost us. Simple as that. Syracuse started pressing and we wilted. They earned the win.

However, I am encouraged by what I have seen from this team since the Notre Dame debacle. The UVa, Pitt, Wake Forest, and Syracuse games have been encouraging and we have had chances to win all of them. Let's see how we play in the next two home games. I hope we can win at least 1.

Very happy with the 2015 class

Despite the 7-5 record and Moorehead leaving.....VT closed with a top 25 class and a stud QB and also addressed needs on the O and D line

Add in Mook Reynolds and the other athletes we landed I have to tip my cap to the staff

Yes we missed on some big targets, but I'm thrilled with the recruits that did stay committed with the season we had

Once again kudos to the staff and welcome to all of the new recruits and it's time to get better

Let's make this next year a break out season

Go Hokies and welcome to all of the new guys!

Recapping 2016 Offers

Alright guys, I can already see many of you want the offers on here. From here out, we'll do one at a time, but here's recapping the offers since signing day, most recent at the top:

OL Jack DeFoor, Calhoun (Ga.)
OL Robert Kraeling. Prince Avenue Christian (Ga.), three stars
OL Will Fries, Cranford (NJ), three stars, No. 13 OG, No. 11 in NJ
ATH Jovonn Quillen, Hampton (Va.)
LB Keith Simms, Landon School (Md.), No. 19 OLB, No. 14 in MD
LB Brandon Hill, Heathwood Hall Episcopal (SC)
LB Emmanuel Belmar, Collins Hill (Ga.)
DE Ron Johnson, Camden (NJ), four stars, No. 92 in Rivals100, No. 6 WDE, No. 5 in NJ
LB Tyrone Hopper, Roswell (Ga.)
DE Zach Gilbert, South Mecklenburg (NC), three stars, No. 30 WDE, No. 24 in NC
ATH Jovani Haskins, Bergenfield (NJ), No. 24 ATH, No. 10 in NJ
LB Julian Okwara, Ardrey Kell (NC), No. 23 OLB, No. 15 in NC

***2.6 VT INsider Chat Details***

Signing day might be over, but there's still plenty going on with the Hokies. There's junior day this weekend and always ever-evolving recruiting news and updates, as well as VT basketball back home this weekend. At 12:30 pm ET tomorrow (Friday), come get answers to all your Hokies-related questions. Hope you can all take advantage of and get the very most out of your subscriptions by joining us!

Click HERE for this week's INsider Chat!

In-State Recruiting

Including this year's class, we have 20 Rival's four star recruits in the program from the state of Virginia. I don't have access to the historical data that would translate that raw number into what percentage it represents of how many in-state four star kids were actually AVAILABLE over the past 5 years. Going off of memory alone, at least 8 were considered Top 5 in Virginia.

why the difference in various ACC recruiting classes ?

- Some programs believe recruiting is THE MOST IMPORTANT SEASON----- the be all/ end all in terms of a programs win/loss record & status. Aggressive recruiting of the best will determine who finishes near or at the top.... year in year out...
i.e. you want the best-- you gotta get the best.

You must be aggressively competitive in all facets. If you do so,...you'll be near the top.

Outside an exclusive few name coaches (you can count on one hand)... D-1 (on the field coaching) is overrated.......we've all seen big name coaches (some come out of retirement or are lured elsewhere to ...and having been hired on past reputation to rebuild a program-- only to yield mediocre results. Facilities also play a role.. Most legit D-! programs have good coaching.

Great coaches have a head turning presence or persona that demands the attention of recruits, administrators, alums, & fans...rachetting up the intensity & CREATING excitement level in a program. The have the power to push for better facilities, weight rooms, unis,etc You have look successful to be successful..have a little charisma..in all facets and at all times....at least when out in public.....and always with recruits.

ANYTHING LESS..will.yield less and heads towards mediocrity .

Syracuse Basketball Ban

I laughed when I read Syracuse has imposed a self ban from any tourney play this season for infractions from long ago.....the school appeared before the NCAA in October but decided today to self impose.....they are struggling to make NCAA tourney so I guess it's a great time to slap yourself on the wrist. A joke if you ask me, bet money they wouldn't have pulled this crap if they were playing well.

Marcus Lewis Commitment

The news that Marcus Lewis chose a different school today is not surprising. If his future is guided by the uncertainly of his past, Florida State will have a hard time keeping him settled long enough to play football. One thing I have always admired about Frank Beamer is that athletes truly want to come to Tech, they are generally ALL-IN. I would be surprised to see Mr. Lewis playing football in a couple years.

Check this article out. If true its so disappointing and disturbing...

This is the part that gets me...

Virginia Tech may have flipped the younger Toliver's commitment with a simple, "Hello." Even Toliver's father admits that he honestly thought his son would end up at Virginia Tech.

Then came the official visit this past fall. Virginia Tech's defensive backs coach never introduced himself or spoke to the recruit's mother, Stephanie Toliver, until the third day of a three-day visit, the elder Toliver said.

During a Sunday meeting with defensive coordinator Bud Foster, Stephanie Toliver called out secondary coach Torrian Gray, who also was in the room.

I've been here all weekend, and I haven't met you,' " Stephanie told the coach, Toliver said. "He apologized. You should have seen the look on Bud Foster's face. He nearly fell out."

On the drive back from Blacksburg, Stephanie Toliver told her son that she couldn't "swallow" being ignored for two days by the guy who would be coaching her son's position.

Kevin Toliver's official visit...

Basketball Heartbreaker

Have to say that lost in all the signing day action on the board, I am very happy with the job Buzz is doing. We have a depleted, young roster. While we've lost a number of heartbreakers this year has been much better than I expected. Buzz has the kids playing above their experience and this can only be a good sign for 2016. Great hire by Whit.

***Zach Hoyt Explains VT Commit***

As some of you might have seen on our blitz chat earlier, VT leaked the news of Zach Hoyt's commitment a little too soon, but I was still on hand for his ceremony, to get video on him and why he chose VT.

It's been a long ordeal the past few days for Hoyt, who was stranded in Phoenix until last night and returned home only to have to go to the hospital and be there until 4 AM.

Here's the full story/video on Hoyt:

Hoyt talks Hokies
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT