ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thoughts

Was anyone else on the edge of their seat?! I sure was! North Carolina had the lead up until the last four minutes. Trailing behind 14 points, Virginia Tech managed to tie the game with one minute left. The Tar Heels wouldn't let up in overtime. The Hokies fell just short of a win 30-27. Jason and I have TONS of coverage coming for you - photos, videos, stories, everything!

I loved that even though VT didn't get the outcome they hoped for, the players were still good sports and proudly carried their coach off of the field after he gave thanks to the 65,000 fans present at the game. Hopefully they can pull out a win against UVA next week to get Beamer his 23rd consecutive bowl game.

What are all of y'alls thoughts on Frank Beamer's last home game as coach?

***INsider: VT/UNC Visitors***

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, no official visitors this weekend for VT, with the uncertainty with the coaching experience. Still a number of unofficial guys will be on hand, which should show that most of them are interested in VT regardless of who the coach is. Here's the rundown, with recruiting coach at the end:

WR Divine Deablo, Mt Tabor (NC), three stars, No. 72 WR, No. 20 in NC -- VT COMMIT -- Wiles
DE Jimmie Taylor, SW-Onslow (NC), three stars, No. 25 WDE, No. 24 in NC -- VT COMMIT -- Wiles
CB Troy Pride, Greer (SC), three stars, No. 11 in SC -- VT DECOMMIT -- Gray
WR Sam Denmark, Hanahan (SC), three stars, No. 13 in SC -- VT COMMIT -- Beamer
Safety Reggie Floyd, Stonewall Jackson (Va.), three stars, No. 18 in VA -- VT COMMIT -- Gray
ATH Donovan Williams, Hylton (Va.), three stars, No. 31 in VA -- UCONN COMMIT -- Foster
LB Emmanuel Belmar, Collins Hill (Ga.), two stars -- VT COMMIT -- Gray
OT Jarrett Hopple, Nansemond River (Va.), two stars -- VT COMMIT -- Searels
OT Patrick Kearns, Darlington (Ga.), two stars -- VT COMMIT-- Searels
DT Silas Dzansi, Hylton (Va.) -- DELAWARE ST COMMIT -- Foster
DT Eric Crosby, Ocean Lakes (Va.) (2017), four stars, No. 106 in Rivals250, No. 7 DT, No. 3 in VA -- Burden
DE Tyjuan Garbutt, Riverbend (Va.) (2017), four stars, No. 171 in Rivals250, No. 3 WDE, No. 6 in VA -- Foster
WR Tahj Capehart, Ocean Lakes (Va.) (2017) three stars, No. 13 in VA -- Burden
LB Rayshard Ashby, LC Bird (Va.), (2017) three stars -- Beamer
TE Jarrett Powell, Hylton (Va.) (2017) -- Foster

Bud Foster just put the program on his back and got us into a Bowl

Thanks again Bud. The offensive staff and culture, to include Coach Frank Beamer, reared it's ugly head again regarding offensive strategy and did everything in its power to NOT WIN the game. Bud Foster once again, put the program on his back and saved our Bowl Eligibility chances with us needing 1 out of 2.

Tonight, you saw what VT football has been in a nutshell since the departure of Ricky Bustle and the hiring of Stinespring with Lefty-Stiney following the last few years. We get into games like this all of the time, and on average, we can win 3 out of 5 games like this if we have a top 10 defense. The offense usually plays decent enough to win 1 of the 5 games giving us 4 of 5 wins. But....when you have a D like this year that can not do what it did against GT consistently and simply when the game for us, you get 6 and 6, 7-5, 8-4 like seasons.

What the Defense did tonight was equal to scoring 55 points. Imagine an offensive game in which we pull it out and win 55-43. That's what happened and has continuously happened for years.

Basketball Thoughts 2 Games In

A few thoughts, surprises, feelings, etc.

1. LeDay is a classic undersized college power forward. Zero future in the NBA at his size, but he's going to be really productive at VT.
2. Justin Robinson is much better than I thought. He's lightning fast when he gets going in the open court and being a lefty makes him look even craftier by nature. I don't think he starts the whole year but he's got a role.
3. Johnny Hamilton has some touch around the basket, which is encouraging to see and he runs the court hard. If he keeps doing that, he's 8-10 minutes per game.
4. Clarke - Can't say enough good things. I think he's a little more of a "3" than I expected, I thought he'd be a straight "4" really. But he's great at getting through traffic and to the rim and rebounds just find his hands somehow.

As a team, the offense and defense is a mess. Looks to me like Buzz is trying to figure out a rotation while teaching his team how to play, particularly on offense. Once he settles on a rotation and gets them playing as hard as he needs, then we can start to mold some sort of consistent scheme. Defense has been atrocious on the perimeter. They'll get better game-to-game, but I expect most every game to be close like last night now.

Fedora

Jason, not sure if you saw this but there has been a lot of chatter on this today...

"Sources tell FootballScoop that Whit Babcock considers Larry Fedora a strong candidate at Virginia Tech. We are also of the understanding that Rich Rodriguez will not be a candidate for this position."

• Poll
Official HOLES Prediction Thread (and a uNCAA POLL)

How will the ncaa respond to unc's > 2 decade long academic & athletic crime spree?

• "standard" sanctions (3 yrs. 3 schollies)

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • violations? what violations?

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • furrowed brows, many words, little action

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • massive sanctions (far greater than 3 yrs. 3 schollies)

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • a stern scolding

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • The Death Penalty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • give 'em an award for academic achievement

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • severely punish a less prestigious school

Votes: 4 10.8%

Whoyagot?

Hate to seem pessimistic, but...

Cheaters, 38-20.
(may my wrongivity be the wrongest of all wrongnesses)
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT