ADVERTISEMENT

2016 VT Recruiting Class

Should Whit bring in a young HC with a history of high octane offenses AND also manage to keep the best of the best DC's - Mr. Foster, could signing the new HC attract/seal the deal with some higher rated (4-5 star) athletes than have currently committed elsewhere or uncommitted, to the Hokies while keeping those already committed to VT?

I'm thinking a new, young HC with a wide open O mindset will keep most of the current commits and be able to bring in some kids that aren't content with the philosophy of getting enuff points from the O + D + Special Teams (combined) and then begin controlling/running out the clock in the 3rd Qtr.

Impossible to tell, at this point, but I'm thinking that an offense that can put a lot of points on the board will not only bring in more higher skilled O guys, but (should Bud stay) attract better D guys also with greater opportunities to get to higher ranked Bowls. Also, can you imagine the D that Bud can bring against opposing teams that are already a couple TD's down in the 1st Qtr? The blitz is on, DB's get more chances to Pick6.

Again, way to early to know how this plays out, but with dreams of a high powered Offense at VT to compliment Bud's D, it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

Mountaineer fan here...to me coach Beamer is just like coach Nehlen

both outstanding coaches but even better people. As Nehlen did for WVU coach Beamer brought your program not only back but to the top level of college football. Also like coach Nehlen he realized that it's time and he wants to go out gracefully with as little disruption to the program as possible......class act all the way. In coach Nehlen's last few years our fans complained about "tailback left,tailback right,fullback up the middle", and I've seen some of your fans complaints along that line. Just remember that you are watching greatness, and I hope you send him out the way I expect you will. The man, like coach Nehlen , is a sure hall of famer.......God don't make many like them anymore.......you are about to experience something you haven't in 30 years....enjoy the ride and good luck the rest of the year.......waiting for 2017

The latest with 4-star Jordan Fuller

I was at 4-star Jordan Fuller's game last night against Bergenfield. He had a nice game, scoring a couple touchdowns and getting an interception on defense. His top eight is still Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Rutgers, TCU, Notre Dame UCLA and Virginia Tech. Fuller talks about each in the video linked below. He is in the process of setting up an official visit to Notre Dame in December.

Video: Fuller planning visits

• Poll
Why is Bud considered a long shot candidate by most observers?

Bud is a long shot candidate because

• his recruiting record isn't great

Votes: 26 66.7%
  • he has no HC experience

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • fine-gate (doing it and/or talking publicly about it)

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • lacks HC leadership intangibles

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • we want someone younger

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • whit doesn't like Bud's system

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • deep down Bud doesn't want it

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • whit is dumb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • whit wants an offensive-minded HC

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • other

Votes: 4 10.3%

Looking unlikely CBF will be named HC.
There is no positive chatter about Bud.
Why do you suppose that is?

ERRATUM: I should have included a poll response along the lines of, "He's not a long shot and is still very much in the hunt" or something to that effect.
655_ntrhp5.jpg

***INsider: Commit Schedules Official***

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I spoke last night and again this morning with Wise (Md.) three-star cornerback Myles Wolfolk. He's been committed to VT since December of last season.

This week has been a busy one for Wolkfolk, who picked up offers from Maryland, North Carolina and Wisconsin after coach Frank Beamer's retirement announcement. Wolfolk said he was very surprised to hear the news. He said he knew it was coming, but not this soon. "It hit me in the face, really," Wolfolk said.

Wolfolk said for him, a lot depends on what happens with the assistant coaches, especially Torrian Gray, who recruited him and defensive coordinator Bud Foster. So for now, Wolfolk said he's committed, but because he plans to graduate from high school next month and enroll in college in January, he doesn't have a lot of time left to see other schools. He's taken zero visits to other schools since he committed.

Wolfolk told me this morning that he set up an official visit to North Carolina for this weekend. He said he'll be setting up more and won't be breaking his commitment, if he does, until the Hokies hire their new coach. When that happens, Wolfolk will also be taking an official to VT to hang out and get to know the new staff, so he can make a final decision.

Of the commits, Wolfolk has probably been the most sought after this week, along with Troy Pride. But unlike Pride, Wolfolk genuinely wants to stay at VT. Wolfolk cited the distance from home, that he loves the campus and every other aspect, he just wants to see what the coaching situation is before he decides for certain.

ESPN GameDay

The producer of Gameday for ESPN has confirmed that the VT/UNC game is under consideration . The social media campaign has indeed caught ESPN's attention. If you haven't already weighed in on this please do!! I don't have the link but its easy to find on Twitter/Facebook etc.

If we could get both Gameday and a live Metallica appearance how freakin awesome would that be? This is shaping up as a memorable send off for Coach Beamer.

A post from 30 Dec, 2012 predicting Beamers last season

This was post 2,478 by the great one after the Rutgers win in 2012, but a disappointing season. I was nearly ran off the board after this post due to the "emotion" of just beating Rutgers in a Bowl Game. Quoted below...

"Fact is, Rutgers is not good. Virginia Tech has a major, I repeat.....major recruiting problem and we are seeing this is in full effect for this season. This started in 2007-08 and it's really hit rock bottom offensively. If changes are not made now, we are in major trouble on both sides of the ball in 2 years. Frank Beamer should have retired last year after the Michigan game and he should have removed Stiney in 2006. The damage is done and unfortunately, there are enough sheep in the fanbase to keep Frank around for at least 2 more years after we have 2 or 3 more season like this one. I guarantee you we will have the same season as this year in 2013 and so on for the foreseeable future. We are now a common 5 loss team under Beamer. There is a looming talent problem in full effect." I think Franks last year is 2015. We will do bad next year, but the excuse will be youth next year, which brings him back for 2014 in which we will again be ugly. This will put the pressure on him to win in 2015 and if he doesn't, that will be his last year. Sadly, his last year should have been last year, and if not last year, it should be right now, this very year. Like I wrote above, enough sheep to keep him around for a while and damage the program for a few more years making the recovery that much longer."

That was from Dec 2012. I always save the posts that render predictions. You had a couple a posters on this board predict early this season that this would be Frank's last year. That's a good pick and I credit those for that. I picked it 3 years ago and was nearly ran off the board for it with the likes of many saying...."you are in outer space and we don't have a recruiting problem, etc. etc. etc. Here we are.......do you think we have a recruiting problem now?

Who on the current staff stays IYO?

And who do you want to stay?

I would say that Gray and Stinespring stay. Gray based on his great recruiting and great job he does in developing players. Stinepring because of his recruiting and the way he relates to the players. We have given Stiney crap because of the awful job he did as OC but there is no denying what he offers in recruiting. I also think that the way that both relate to the current players that they will help ease the team into a transition no matter who the next coach is.

What say you?

Random Idea

I know he doesn't have any head coaching experience but what if we hire Kirby Smart and he brings Jeremy Pruitt with him as his DC. I know he runs a 3-4 but the guy can recruit and has a ton of fire in him. I also know this doesn't fix our offense but I have full faith that between there years in the business they could get a great OC to come in.

***INsider: 11.5 VT Coach Search Update***

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Alright guys, as I've said before, I'll do my best to deliver the info on what's going on. It might not be daily, but I'll post as soon as I get hold of it.

First off, Virginia Tech's administration has told some higher-ranking boosters that the first two weeks of December is when the coaching search will kick into gear. VT has already secured available planes for those two weeks. But that makes sense, since coaches won't be able to be talked to until the regular season is over, which for most, will be Nov. 28, while a few more will be Dec. 5.

The other interesting news I've received is that the Hokies staff, which planned to be out recruiting this week, cancelled all their planned trips in light of the news with coach Frank Beamer. And I'm even told that many of the coaches on staff have informed others that they don't plan on returning and are looking for other potential jobs already.

I know a lot of you got worked up over a plane appearing on Flight Aware yesterday that flew from Athens to Blacksburg. As I said in another thread, that WAS NOT Georgia coach Mark Richt, or any representative of us, including his agent, who is based out of Birmingham. That plane was a single engine plane that belonged to a law firm in Georgia.

I will say, Richt will likely be a candidate. I say likely because he's still the coach at Georgia and that remains the case. But it's no secret, the uneasiness with the fans and boosters down there. I reached out to Radi Nabilsi and Anthony Dasher from our Georgia Rivals site, UGASports.com, earlier today. Both said they believe it's not a matter of if, but when Richt is fired there. Dasher specifically told me he doesn't believe he'll be back as UGA's coach and told me he, "I think he’s about to say f*** it." Sounds more and more like Richt wants and needs a change of scenery. Whit Babcock has been a fan for Richt's for sometime, so when Richt does become available, this one will have some merit to it.

Also, for right now, Pep Hamilton, who was just fired Tuesday night by the Indianapolis Colts as offensive coordinator is NOT a candidate with the Hokies. Babcock wants someone with head coaching experience, which Hamilton doesn't have. Things change and at some point, Hamilton could look better for Babcock, but right now, that's not the case.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT