ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: Dylan Rivers On VT Offer***

Guys, I spoke a little while ago with Sherando (Va.) 2017 LB Dylan Rivers. This is a kid who VT has had its eye on for a while and who former assistant coach Aaron Moorehead recruited very well before he left.

Today was Rivers' third visit to VT, for the junior day. He also participated in camp last summer and was on hand for the Boston College game in November. The strange thing here is that Rivers said he's only been talking to his new recruiter, Torrian Gray, for a few weeks. But Rivers said of the offer, "I was pretty excited when I got it, because I've been thinking about it for a year or two now." So luckily for the Hokies, he's already been hoping for the offer and sounds like, has been a bit of a fan growing up.

On the visit, Rivers said he got to see a lot more. He plans on majoring in physical therapy, so he looked a lot at the academic side. But he also spent time talking with Gray and coach Frank Beamer and defensive coordinator Bud Foster when they offered.

Rivers said he's also been to junior days at West Virginia, Penn State, NC State and Virginia, but doesn't have any more planned. I do think with the offer, VT is in very good shape here because of how he already saw the Hokies. Other offers are from Arizona, Penn State, NC State, Virginia, West Virginia and Old Dominion.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.[/B]

***INsider: Pat Bethel Latest***

Guys, I spoke earlier with Vero Beach (Fla.) four-star DE Pat Bethel. He just picked up a VT offer Tuesday, bringing his offer total up to 21.

This one is still very early, as Bethel told me multiple times in our talk. He's only talked a couple of times with assistant coach Charley Wiles, who actually offered him over Twitter. But Bethel said he was "excited" about the offer and that the Hokies have a great team. But other than that, Bethel said he doesn't know a ton right now.

Bethel is a monster on his film. He's definitely a stand-up defensive end, who has a good burst off the ball. But it wouldn't surprise me to see him play linebacker, either.

So far, Bethel said he's been to games at Florida, Florida State and Miami, but no junior days. He hopes to have a set list over the next few days. It sounds like VT has some work to do. He mentioned wanting to see Ohio State, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia and the three main Florida schools again. But as always, another case of the Hokies having to get him to visit to have a chance. The good news is that an official might be one of the best cases, since Bethel looks like he's nowhere close to making a decision.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.[/B]

Pat Bethel profile

***INsider: Ian Boyd Latest***

Guys, I spoke earlier with Apex (NC) three-star WR Ian Boyd, just to catch up. Right now, he's maintaining the same three offers he's had for football, from VT, East Carolina and Old Dominion.

The biggest thing with Boyd, though, is he seems determined to want to play basketball instead of football. But everything I'm told from those who have seen him more than I have and from what I've seen on film, is that he's better in football. He does have one basketball offer, from Radford. But other than that, it doesn't sound like he's gotten a ton of interest. He said right now, he would love to play both sports in college.

VT hasn't given Boyd a look in basketball, but really likes him for football. He was at the BC game in November and also was at the Hokies' Feb. 7 junior day. He said he likes the education aspect and how VT is with helping guys with school with tutors. Boyd likes assistant Charley Wiles and said he also liked talking to new assistant Zohn Burden during the junior day.

It sounds like the two schools at the top for football are VT and NC State, but the Wolfpack haven't offered. He was at their junior day last weekend and said he's grown very familiar with them and knows where everything is on campus. Boyd will be at Wake Forest's junior day this weekend.

Ian Boyd profile

***INsider: Full VT Recruit Assembly List***

Guys, as I've been alluding to the past few weeks, VT is hosting a big group of top recruits Saturday. They're not terming it a junior day, so I've been calling it a recruit assembly. It gets going at 11:30 AM Saturday and goes all day. While there could be some changes, here's who we've confirmed will be in attendance. I'll be updating the list as it changes.

RB Jordon Brown, Southern Durham (NC), four stars, No. 4 APB, No. 9 in NC -- Wiles
RB Robert Washington, Southlake Christian Academy (NC), four stars, No. 15 RB, No. 12 in NC -- Beamer
OLB Cameron Brown, Bullis School (Md.), four stars, No. 23 OLB, No. 12 in MD -- Burden
WR Divine Deablo, Mt Tabor (NC), three stars, No. 61 WR, No. 21 in NC -- Wiles
DE Zack Gilbert, South Mecklenburg (NC), three stars, No. 30 WDE, No. 25 in NC -- Beamer
OLB Tyrone Hopper, Roswell (Ga.), three stars, No. 47 OLB -- Gray
WR Diondre Overton, Page (NC), three stars, No. 53 WR -- Wiles
ATH Jovonn Quillen, Hampton (Va.) three stars, No. 30 in VA --- Brown --- VT COMMIT
OLB Emmanuel Belmar, Collins Hill (Ga.), three stars -- Gray
OL Mac Patrick, Hanover (Va.) (NO OFFER) -- Searels
OL Reed Kroeber, Roswell Felowship Christian (Ga.) (NO OFFER) -- Searels
OLB Derrek Pitts, South Charleston (WV) (2017) (NO OFFER) -- Stinespring
OLB Dylan Rivers, Sherando (Va.) (2017) (NO OFFER) -- Gray
ATH Brelin Faison-Walden, Grimsley (NC) (2017) (NO OFFER) -- Wiles
RB Ricky Slade, Hylton (Va.) (2018) -- Foster

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.[/B]

This post was edited on 2/27 12:03 PM by Jason Stamm

This post was edited on 2/27 11:30 PM by Jason Stamm

Jovonn Quillen

This is a big athletic kid. Many want him on offense because of his obvious physical attributes. Personally, I've had my fill of trying to convert "athletes" into WR's. Just because somebody is fast doesn't mean they can catch. This is another case of a kid playing QB because the team needs a good athlete at that position. His only offer was what, Old Dominion? By all accounts a very average pick up. However.....

This is what Bud sees. A guy that has excellent speed at 190 lbs., 20-25 lbs. heavier than the other quick recruits. A lightly regarded, lightly recruited athlete playing out of position as QB. A young guy that can easily add 20 lbs. more of muscle over a couple years here. A guy that can become a teeth rattling, wood laying safety, with the right training (which our guys are famous for). Sound familiar? (Think Seattle Seahawks)

***INsider: Jovonn Quillen On Commit***

Guys, full story coming shortly, but I spoke just a little while ago with new Hampton (Va.) three-star ATH commit, Jovonn Quillen. He's first cousins with RB Marshawn Williams and that played a big factor in his decision.

Quillen said Williams has told him he's known that Quillen would pick the Hokies. Williams has said he's "waiting on me." Quillen said they played rec ball together and he's gotten to see Williams grow into what he is now. The line of Hampton Crabbers who have gone on to VT, like Williams, Tyrod Taylor and Deon Newsome also played a role.

Quillen played a number of positions this past fall, including quarterback, but he said he's not sure where he'll play at VT. It sounds like he could make a good safety for the Hokies, as he's bigger than the other three commits who will play cornerback. He said assistant Cornell Brown told him VT likes him on both sides of the ball.

Quillen had an Old Dominion offer, too, but said he's solid in his decision. He runs track and qualified for the 300m at the state indoor meet. That was supposed to be this weekend, but has gotten pushed to next weekend due to the snow. Because of that, Quillen said he'll likely be at VT's recruit stuff on Saturday.

Jovonn Quillen profile

2015 VT Coaches Clinic

Guys, this was released last week, but wanted to let you all know that VT is hosting its coaches clinic March 26-28. St Louis Rans defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and Tennessee Titans QBs coach Jon McNulty are the featured guests.

While I realize that most of you aren't coaches and therefore can't attend, this is an important weekend to note because a ton of high school coaches from the mid-Atlantic will be in attendance. And with that, a lot of them bring a few of their players with them to take in the weekend and basically make a three-day extended unofficial visit. It happens every year. I haven't received word on anybody specifically yet, but when I do, I'll pass on.

This is the first full weekend of spring practice, which starts March 24. So the coaches and recruits on hand will also be taking in VT's practices.

Coaches Clinic brochure

***INsider: Zack Gilbert Latest***

Guys, I spoke earlier with South Mecklenburg (NC) three-star defensive end Zack Gilbert just a while ago. He's one of the more recent offers for VT, that came at the early part of the month.

Gilbert has a lot of good offers, though, including North Carolina, Wake Forest, Tennessee, Duke, Florida, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Boston College, Charlotte and old Dominion. He says he's wide open, but I get the sense that VT is sitting behind UNC and Pitt, where he's a legacy, right now.

The good news is that Gilbert is visiting the Hokies this weekend for their recruit assembly. This will be his first trip to VT, but he's already established a good bond with assistant coach Shane Beamer, whom Gilbert calls "something special." Gilbert is also good friends with Hokies early enrollee Adonis Alexander, who's also from Charlotte.

It seems to me like we'll know a lot more about how Gilbert feels about VT after this weekend. He talked a lot about wanting to see a school and team that are like family and that help each other out.

The other big thing with Gilbert is he's coming off a torn labrum that he suffered in the last game of the regular season in November. He did return for the playoffs, but has been rehabbing since. Gilbert said he'll be fully healthy in time for the Rivals Camp in April, but we'll see.

Gilbert has only been to NC State's junior day this year. He has a long list of schools he'd like to see this spring, including South Carolina, Clemson, Pittsburgh, Duke, UNC and NC State and also talked about possibly already taking officials when the season starts to VT and WV.

ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT