ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Grad Rates

Hampton Roads 6

Hokie Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2003
VT is 4th in ACC. UVA. Pitt. NC St. Louisville and UNC are at bottom of conference. I have always said players that go to those schools are not very smart. Graduation rates back me up.

Perhaps a degree at UVA is harder to get for most kids that just want to just play football and get an education at the same time. i.e they get there and find out its too hard or too much work. Just my guess.

Perhaps a degree at UVA is harder to get for most kids that just want to just play football and get an education at the same time. i.e they get there and find out its too hard or too much work. Just my guess.
Very perceptive....

and I have some ocean front property in Coal Bank Hollow and if you buy that I'll throw the Peppers Ferry Bridge in free
Check the rankings for best Universities and get back to me......just sayin, it is what it is.

Football players at UVA are not the smartest on campus. If they were they not be a boo hoo. Now granted a couple may be smart. But most are not. Several rejected VT to go to play for a loser.

Check the rankings for best Universities and get back to me......just sayin, it is what it is.
so you're saying if your football team had better grad % your univ would have a higher ranking ? Apples and oranges Birdie

so you're saying if your football team had better grad % your univ would have a higher ranking ? Apples and oranges Birdie
Fact is Mike London did nothing to help the football program including making sure his players graduated.

Here are the five most popular majors and major types in the ACC, which had information available online for most of its programs. Business and related majors—finance, economics, management, marketing, etc.—lead this conference, but general arts and sciences is the biggest declared major, followed by communication.

1. Business (77) and related majors: 240
  2. Arts and Sciences: 116
  3. Communication (84) and journalism: 99
  4. Kinesiology and exercise sciences: 63
  5. Sociology: 55
A high number of players at Boston College, Pittsburgh and Virginia are listed as enrolled in their respective schools of Arts and Sciences, leading to that major's place on the top-five list.

Louisville and Syracuse both have communication as their biggest majors, while Virginia Tech had 36 different majors listed for its football players, which is the most in Power Five football.

Here are the most popular majors for each of the schools in the ACC:

• Boston College: Arts and Sciences (enrolled in school)
  • Clemson: Parks, recreation and tourism management
  • Duke: Sociology
  • Florida State: Social science
  • Georgia Tech: Business administration
  • Louisville: Communication
  • Miami: Sport administration
  • North Carolina: Exercise and sport science
  • NC State: N/A*
  • Notre Dame: First Year of Studies
  • Pittsburgh: Arts and Sciences (enrolled in school)
  • Syracuse: Communication
  • Virginia: Arts and sciences
  • Virginia Tech: Human development
  • Wake Forest: N/A**

Boston College: Arts and Sciences (enrolled in school)
What a sad joke of a list. This is why they shouldn't even bother reporting athlete graduation rates...because none of these are even real degrees.

The most popular degree for Clemson athletes is parks and rec management? And I give up...what the heck is human development?

Here are the five most popular majors and major types in the ACC, which had information available online for most of its programs. Business and related majors—finance, economics, management, marketing, etc.—lead this conference, but general arts and sciences is the biggest declared major, followed by communication.

1. Business (77) and related majors: 240
  2. Arts and Sciences: 116
  3. Communication (84) and journalism: 99
  4. Kinesiology and exercise sciences: 63
  5. Sociology: 55
A high number of players at Boston College, Pittsburgh and Virginia are listed as enrolled in their respective schools of Arts and Sciences, leading to that major's place on the top-five list.

Louisville and Syracuse both have communication as their biggest majors, while Virginia Tech had 36 different majors listed for its football players, which is the most in Power Five football.

Here are the most popular majors for each of the schools in the ACC:

• Boston College: Arts and Sciences (enrolled in school)
Parks, recreation and tourism management? Now that's funny! But what is Human Development?

The list and info came from the Internet, so we know that it has to be the truth...LOL!!!!!

Graduation rates are the lowest common denominator. Until you factor in the rigor of the curriculum they mean nothing (see Dean Smith's 97% rate over 30 years with fake classes). As long as a school's athletics grad rate is on par with that of the general student population of each respective school it is fine. But if it greatly exceeds or is excessively below...then you have a problem. People like to rank these things but, like SAT scores etc, you can't rank them due to various factors that are not taken into account. Sort them...yes. Rank them...no.

With a degree from college of Arts and Sciences, you can go to the medical school, especially if you take a lot of Biology and Chemistry courses. Also, if the degree is from a really good school like Duke, UVA, Pitt, Notre Dame, or in my son's case, Emory, you could do really well and end up at a medical school. Several of the football players have actually done that.

Last edited:
Again, it depends on where you get that degree from. My best friends daughter got a degree in Human Development from Johns Hopkins and is now a second year med school student at an Ivy League school.
Thanks, never heard of the degree but then again what would and Economics guy know about being a doctor.

Oh please. There is nothing difficult about getting an undergraduate degree at UVa. They pride themselves on admission standards and post-graduate 'excellence,' but there is nothing especially valuable about a bachelors in anything at UVa or anywhere for that matter.

Oh please. There is nothing difficult about getting an undergraduate degree at UVa. They pride themselves on admission standards and post-graduate 'excellence,' but there is nothing especially valuable about a bachelors in anything at UVa or anywhere for that matter.
Oh dear......it status my friend. A degree from UVA is an Elite status, but I'm sure deep down you already knew that.

Oh dear......it status my friend. A degree from UVA is an Elite status, but I'm sure deep down you already knew that.

No, a degree from Harvard is elite status. An undergraduate degree from UVa is a nice cosmetic enhancement, or might burnish your vulnerable self-image if you're the kind of pathetic simp who buys into 'prestige' and 'status,' but unless you're pursuing a post-graduate education in a field worth anything, you're just splitting hairs or settling for a pretty addition to your mantelpiece if you can afford one.

Great business school, top-notch law and medical schools, but if you're a football player getting a degree in anthropology, doesn't do you much good beyond a pat on the back from yourself or from members of the local wine tasting club.

No, a degree from Harvard is elite status. An undergraduate degree from UVa is a nice cosmetic enhancement, or might burnish your vulnerable self-image if you're the kind of pathetic simp who buys into 'prestige' and 'status,' but unless you're pursuing a post-graduate education in a field worth anything, you're just splitting hairs or settling for a pretty addition to your mantelpiece if you can afford one.

Great business school, top-notch law and medical schools, but if you're a football player getting a degree in anthropology, doesn't do you much good beyond a pat on the back from yourself or from members of the local wine tasting club.
I'll take that as a compliment since I have my Masters from Darden.

I'll take that as a compliment since I have my Masters from Darden.

I've never knocked UVa's postgraduate programs, just this ridiculous idea that graduating with a B.A. in ethnic studies or literary theory there does not equate with "excellence" and "prestige."

I think UVa has some very prestigious degrees. But those aren't the ones the football players end up with, and that's not just at UVa.

Comparing football grad rates for Human Development versus general student population grad rates that include programs like Aerospace Engineering is just stupid, and always has been.

Last edited:
For the most part, a degree is a degree, no matter the school. There are a few exceptions. An Engineering Degree from VT, or a Law Degree from UVA are good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT