ADVERTISEMENT

Adam Smith transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hampton Roads 6

Hokie Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2003
I just heard that G Adam Smith is transferring to another school. This is puzzling. His new school will be his 3rd. He has a diploma, thus he eligible to play immediately.

Maybe his minutes will drop next year with who we have returning and who we have sitting the bench this year and he knows it.

Just the type of streaky player a big team could use. Kinda Seth Curryish. Lights out shooter, terrible defender.

I appreciate what Smith did this season, loved him, but I think he's a luxury player we can do without. Need two way players.

Buzz's best team only average 62.5 pts. Not his style to outscore everyone. Rather have the defense, especially with Allen coming in run the offense.

He made 81 3-Pointers and shot .424% from 3.....again, he will be missed.

Originally posted by Hoos19NC:
You gonna miss him? STFU and go find your own board. You frekkin retard.

No Polyanna I'm not going to miss him....VT will miss him. Starting to sound like Buzz is moving him out to make room for someone else, I guess he got a Buzz Cut!!! I'm not surprised at the turnover it happens with new coaches but this kid can shoot, I would think Buzz could teach him to play defense....but what does this retard know.

No question he will be missed. The guy can play. I seem to remember a 26 point, 6 threes, and game winning shot effort against Pitt, but of course, we don't need that kind of production, right? Shoot, our 2-16 in the ACC team that had a hard time scoring most of the year has so much talent, why would we want a guy that led us in scoring and made 81 3s, right? And, why would we want any of the other 5 guys that have transferred the past year, right? Nope, we don't need any of them. After all, our 2-16 in the ACC team did so great without them, and "showed so much promise", right?

I guess since we will stink again next year anyway, Buzz would rather worry about the future and play younger guys. He is probably thinking why go maybe 6-12 in the ACC with Smith helping out, when we can go 2-16 again with younger guys. I think it stinks and, whether they are freshman or seniors, we should put our best guys out there. If the freshman or younger guys turn out to be better than Smith, and give us a better chance to win, fine, play them, but if not, seniors like Smith should not be run out of here. What is the plan? Free up another scholarship? Yea, let's do that for someone that will probably end up either leaving on his own, or get run our of here like everyone else anyway.

Does anyone think Smith may be the one who wants out? Perhaps he would like to be on a team with a chance to make the dance in his remaining year of eligibility. If VT goes 17 - 16 next year that would be a big improvement (but doesn't get you to the dance).

Originally posted by pahokie77:

Does anyone think Smith may be the one who wants out? Perhaps he would like to be on a team with a chance to make the dance in his remaining year of eligibility. If VT goes 17 - 16 next year that would be a big improvement (but doesn't get you to the dance).
Does this sound like someone who wanted to transfer? This is what Smith said after our season ended just a few weeks ago:

"We're going to keep building the program, building the culture,"
Smith said at the time. "We might get some more people, you never know.
From where we started to where we are now, it's going to be amazing to
see where we go in the future."

And while making those 81 threes, he was getting demolished on the other end.

A struggling team needs scorers sure, but if we can't defend on the other end, it's all for naught. We ain't outscoring anyone. So let's we gotta make up for that on the defensive end.

Originally posted by Polymeros:
You gonna miss him? STFU and go find your own board. You frekkin retard.
Poly, please avoid misspelling while name calling. It's frickin' retard.

Seriously though, this guy is a friend to the board. I think he's a VT fan with a hoo name because he likes to stir the pot.

Sunny,
Don't try to be glib. Poly was completely out of line. Aren't you a moderator???? Why is that tolerated?

Originally posted by pckank1:

Does this sound like someone who wanted to transfer? This is what Smith said after our season ended just a few weeks ago:

Smith's quote may have been from a couple of weeks ago; however, a couple of weeks have passed and he's obviously had some second thoughts.

I think he's transferring because he

1. wants a chance to go to the dance, and
2. he sees a group of guards coming in next year that will steal playing time from him.

I don't blame him either way. He's earned his degree and his right to choose his next basketball team.

Originally posted by bschroed:
Sunny,
Don't try to be glib. Poly was completely out of line. Aren't you a moderator???? Why is that tolerated?
No kidding. And, then Sunny decides to use the R word with his reply, and in joking fashion to make a his post even worse. No wonder he saw nothing wrong with Poly's post. Unreal.

Originally posted by HokieNation:.

I think he's transferring because he

1. wants a chance to go to the dance, and
2. he sees a group of guards coming in next year that will steal playing time from him.

I don't blame him either way. He's earned his degree and his right to choose his next basketball team.
I agree with you. His minutes were going to drop next year and this way he will have an opportunity to play where there is less competition for PT at his position and do it at a school that's likely to make the dance. I hope he does, I was a big Adam Smith fan and will miss his 3's. But at the same time if we can bring in a player to help us compete in the middle right away then this will be a win-win for both VT and Adam.

I think we could see one or two more still. Nobody would surprise me, except Ahmed Hill, and of course the guys who have been sitting out a year.

No question he will be missed. The guy can play. I seem to remember a 26 point, 6 threes, and game winning shot effort against Pitt, but of course, we don't need that kind of production, right? Shoot, our 2-16 in the ACC team that had a hard time scoring most of the year has so much talent, why would we want a guy that led us in scoring and made 81 3s, right? And, why would we want any of the other 5 guys that have transferred the past year, right? Nope, we don't need any of them. After all, our 2-16 in the ACC team did so great without them, and "showed so much promise", right?

I guess since we will stink again next year anyway, Buzz would rather worry about the future and play younger guys. He is probably thinking why go maybe 6-12 in the ACC with Smith helping out, when we can go 2-16 again with younger guys. I think it stinks and, whether they are freshman or seniors, we should put our best guys out there. If the freshman or younger guys turn out to be better than Smith, and give us a better chance to win, fine, play them, but if not, seniors like Smith should not be run out of here. What is the plan? Free up another scholarship? Yea, let's do that for someone that will probably end up either leaving on his own, or get run our of here like everyone else anyway.
We were 2-16 with him, so I'm not sure you can really gauge the value of his overall contributions. Are we losing a phenomenal shooter? Absolutely. But we're also losing a defensive liability: someone who can, possibly, play some competent spot duty at PG, but at 5'11" is way too small to match up defensively with just about anyone in the ACC. We have Seth Allen coming in next year who is comparable in terms of what he brings to the table shooting the ball, and in my estimation has a higher ceiling running the point than Smith does. So yeah, it's not a good loss but you are laying on the hyperbole super-thick here. If Buzz needs to "run" players off to establish his system and get his guys (and this happens to some degree everywhere when there's a changing of the guard), then so be it. Smith is a great scorer and scrappy player, but he's got some seriously stiff competition coming in next year at the 2 with nationally top 100 rated Chris Clarke at SG (body-wise, a much purer SG), Seth Allen from Maryland who's proven he can play at the highest level as well and who is being groomed for PG, and Justin Robinson another pure PG coming in next year. Not to mention both Hudson and Bibbs are physical, lengthy wing players who are still maturing and have shown glimpses of much more complete offensive games this year. So, maybe Buzz told him simply that there may not be as many minutes available next year and considering the additions and Buzz's want for a tough-nosed, extremely physical style of play it's not surprising that Smith could be on the chopping block -- despite his scoring contributions.

Also, it's interesting how similar this situation is vis a vis the Seth Allen situation at Maryland, and yet in that instance you took the opposite stance, dismissing public quotes by Seth Allen saying competition had nothing to do with it, praising his sensible move and talking about an incoming top 100 player. Now, interestingly, as is characteristic of you, you are selectively interpretive. It's almost like you are anti-VT...

This post was edited on 3/28 4:29 PM by HeaksManley

Again, why were you so untrusting of what Seth Allen publicly stated several years back, but are so willing to take this as gospel truth? Especially when these situations are so similar -- just with the roles reversed. A lot goes on behind the scenes that neither you nor I know about. Can't you just leave it at that without writing some lengthy character assassination of Buzz Williams based entirely on supposition?

I don't think you are understanding the process required to rebuild a program hit rock bottom like we did. Buzz is doing a great job. We're not going to stink again next year, the throw away seasons are over. Next year wins and losses will become relevant again and we actually have a chance to have a pretty good team next year if Buzz can close on one or two of his power forward/center targets among JUCO and graduate transfers. We've got good talent at the wings and point guards now, even without Adam Smith. We were very heavy in the 1-3 positions and to meet the immediate frontcourt needs the attrition must come from there. When we fill in the frontcourt we are going to be a formidable challenge for anybody on our schedule. With the right turnover and additions this offseason we have a chance to be one of the biggest turnaround programs in college basketball next season.

Originally posted by mrjolly01:

I don't think you are understanding the process required to rebuild a program hit rock bottom like we did. Buzz is doing a great job. We're not going to stink again next year, the throw away seasons are over. Next year wins and losses will become relevant again and we actually have a chance to have a pretty good team next year if Buzz can close on one or two of his power forward/center targets among JUCO and graduate transfers. We've got good talent at the wings and point guards now, even without Adam Smith. We were very heavy in the 1-3 positions and to meet the immediate frontcourt needs the attrition must come from there. When we fill in the frontcourt we are going to be a formidable challenge for anybody on our schedule. With the right turnover and additions this offseason we have a chance to be one of the biggest turnaround programs in college basketball next season.
I understand the rebuilding process. But, I am also tired of losing, and I think there will be plenty of times next year we were wishing we had a senior like Smith who could put the ball in the basket.

I am not about to get on Buzz, but what makes you say he is doing a great job? We just went 2-16. Can we hope he does a great job? Yes, but to say he is doing a great job after one 2-16 season is giving him a big time free pass. Like I said, I am not getting on him, or saying he did a bad job, but I think "incomplete" is a lot more appropriate than "great job" after one 2-16 season.

I respect your optimism, but just remember, other teams were young this year, and will be better next year as well. And, it is fair to say these other teams have more talent than us, have new talent coming in next year, and they did not go 2-16 in the ACC.

Originally posted by mrjolly01:

I understand the rebuilding process. But, I am also tired of losing, and I think there will be plenty of times next year we were wishing we had a senior like Smith who could put the ball in the basket.

I am not about to get on Buzz, but what makes you say he is doing a great job? We just went 2-16. Can we hope he does a great job? Yes, but to say he is doing a great job after one 2-16 season is giving him a big time free pass. Like I said, I am not getting on him, or saying he did a bad job, but I think "incomplete" is a lot more appropriate than "great job" after one 2-16 season.

I respect your optimism, but just remember, other teams were young this year, and will be better next year as well. And, it is fair to say these other teams have more talent than us, have new talent coming in next year, and they did not go 2-16 in the ACC.
I can only think that you aren't understanding it or you would understand we have to make room where we are heavy to improve where we need improvement. If its not Smith it might be one of the others like Bibbs or Hudson I don't want to lose either, who are better defenders, will potentially be in the program longer with more room to improve, and we have more shooters coming. I don't see any teams in the league that have the chance to improve as much as we do from this season to next season. I don't know what teams you mean specifically when you say "they are getting better too - I don't know who they are that are bringing in incremental talent at the rate we have been doing the last 2 seasons. The obvious shortcoming we had this season was a severe lack of size and players capable in the front court of rebounding, playing defense, and providing a low post threat. I think we've covered our 1-3 positions for the future already and they are just going to get better. Probably most impressive is nobody in the program is crying about 2-16 this season and the goal with the entire coaching staff and players is to make a huge improvement between this past season and next season. Even with the severe undersized team we had Buzz showed he could coach and compete with teams with the number of close losses we had. This basketball team reminds me of a young football team we had in 1992 that went 2-8-1 that was leading in the 4th quarter in 7 of those losses. The next season they went 9-3 and an Independence bowl win. What Buzz needs is a couple of experienced players to bang in the front court and if he gets them I believe he will achieve a big turn around next season. So, yes, he's coaching, he's getting talent, he's getting his pieces in place and that looks to me like a good job. The first year record means nothing to me.

Sunny,
No kidding. And, then Sunny decides to use the R word with his reply, and in joking fashion to make a his post even worse. No wonder he saw nothing wrong with Poly's post. Unreal.
How about you worry about pckank and not about Sbw.

Sunny,
Participate in discussion, make comments, or whatever it is you're here for. Let me worry about what is/isn't out of line or tolerated from individuals. Thanks.

If anyone else has an issue, you can email me. I'm not going to discuss this further on the forum.

This post was edited on 3/30 9:59 PM by SunnyBeachWave

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT