ADVERTISEMENT

After seeing thru the SEC media bias BS...

hokiemtc

Hokie Hall of Fame
Mar 29, 2002
I think my correct (and not ESPN bias driven) top 10 would probably be...

1) Oregon
2) TCU
3) Ohio State (what they've done with backup QBs this season is amazing)
4) Clemson (see Ohio State)
5) Alabama
6) Michigan State
7) Baylor
8) Georgia
9) Boise State
10) Florida State

I'd like to take credit for calling last night's Ohio State win, but the truth is, anyone with half a brain could see that one coming from a mile away if they'd care to open their eyes, since the entire SEC West outside of Arkansas looked like pure garbage last week. The score probably should've been a lot worse (OSU was their own worst enemy in the first half), and likely would have been a lot worse if Barrett were still at QB.

I have a little SEC bias but not solely for graduating from an SEC school. It is hard to escape the success of the SEC over the last decade alone. I'd like to think fans of the game can appreciate the historical and current performance of a strong conference. It is natural for the usual SEC powerhouses to lose here and there and I fully expect the SEC to dominate in years to come. As recruiting and coaching improves, non-dominate teams are naturally going to win against the SEC powerhouses (can't win them all).

I thought the Oregon game was very exciting and reminiscient. I though the OSU game was exciting too. I liked that Auburn lost, but enjoyed the Georgia win. Too bad those damn Aggies had to get in the way of a good meal.

Not sure I would call it bias, but if so, it is JUSTIFIED

I can understand the hatred on this board and basically every board outside of the SEC across the country. Winners are hated and unfortunately, some know they can not be like them, so they hate them. In politics, we call them the D word. I have never understood the hatred personally. Why not want to be like the great SEC team instead of attempting, wanting, desiring, begging, pleading for them to come down to our level? What makes so many humans think this way?

In summary, the so called love fest with the media and the SEC was JUSTIFIED. Based on the SEC's past history playing big time teams on neutral fields over the last decade and the number of national titles and the continuous top recruiting conference and top conference for number of players in the NFL and top sized stadiums, the numbers SUPPORT the fact that the best conference in football is the SEC. I am going to write another shocker (only because emotion is now trumping reason across much of the USA over the SEC's bowl performances) the SEC is STILL not only the best conference, it is the best from top to bottom BY FAR. Want something scary? The recruiting divide between the SEC and the other conferences is actually GROWING. Teams like Tennessee, Ole Miss, Miss State, are scoring alarmingly high recruiting numbers.

In short, and as a researcher......never let one snapshot in time or 1 datum (outlier) into the data analysis portion of a study. For example, the data on the SEC over the past decade clearly supports the fact it is the best conference. You have to look and interpret this as an entire decade, not one 2 week stretch only and trying to form a conclusion that deep down, you and I both know in your heart if false. Fact is....the ACC is NOT as good as the SEC, nor is the Big 10, nor is the Big 12, nor is the Pac 10. Do they have some teams that can play with the SEC's best? Of course, but top to bottom, you and I both know the truth as to which conference is at this very moment, DOMINATING recruiting and all the emotion, yelling, and rejoicing about the SEC's losses this year in the bowl season will NOT stop the continuous and impending commitments of the best players in the country.

Re: Not sure I would call it bias, but if so, it is JUSTIFIED

Originally posted by lucustookis:
I can understand the hatred on this board and basically every board outside of the SEC across the country. Winners are hated and unfortunately, some know they can not be like them, so they hate them. In politics, we call them the D word. I have never understood the hatred personally. Why not want to be like the great SEC team instead of attempting, wanting, desiring, begging, pleading for them to come down to our level? What makes so many humans think this way?

In summary, the so called love fest with the media and the SEC was JUSTIFIED. Based on the SEC's past history playing big time teams on neutral fields over the last decade and the number of national titles and the continuous top recruiting conference and top conference for number of players in the NFL and top sized stadiums, the numbers SUPPORT the fact that the best conference in football is the SEC. I am going to write another shocker (only because emotion is now trumping reason across much of the USA over the SEC's bowl performances) the SEC is STILL not only the best conference, it is the best from top to bottom BY FAR. Want something scary? The recruiting divide between the SEC and the other conferences is actually GROWING. Teams like Tennessee, Ole Miss, Miss State, are scoring alarmingly high recruiting numbers.

In short, and as a researcher......never let one snapshot in time or 1 datum (outlier) into the data analysis portion of a study. For example, the data on the SEC over the past decade clearly supports the fact it is the best conference. You have to look and interpret this as an entire decade, not one 2 week stretch only and trying to form a conclusion that deep down, you and I both know in your heart if false. Fact is....the ACC is NOT as good as the SEC, nor is the Big 10, nor is the Big 12, nor is the Pac 10. Do they have some teams that can play with the SEC's best? Of course, but top to bottom, you and I both know the truth as to which conference is at this very moment, DOMINATING recruiting and all the emotion, yelling, and rejoicing about the SEC's losses this year in the bowl season will NOT stop the continuous and impending commitments of the best players in the country.
Just as charmingly delusional as ever!! The best division in so called best conference gets absoutely undressed in bowl games, but it's still clearly the best conference. Check the facts.......THE FIVE RANKED TEAMS FROM THE SEC WEST ALL GOT BEATEN.

Originally posted by lucustookis:
Winners are hated and unfortunately, some know they can not be like them, so they hate them
I agree, but that's totally not what's going on here. The SEC as a whole is given God status by the media...WITHOUT EARNING IT...and THAT'S what everyone else in the country has an issue with.

The 7 straight SEC national champs were a farce. Teams with losses...and even teams that weren't even good enough to be SEC champs...were given national title opportunities that they didn't deserve and didn't earn on the field while worthy teams from all around the rest of the country were given the shaft. And beyond that one good team at the top each year, the REST of the SEC has been riding coat tails and have been nothing special at all on their own accord, as their OOC opponents and records have plainly shown over the years.

It didn't take much of a rocket scientists this season to figure that there were NO great teams in the SEC...and yet we had, what, 8 SEC teams ranked at one point, including half a dozen in the top 10? Numerous #1 ranked teams from the SEC? Are you kidding me? Talk about a joke.

The SEC is EXTREMELY fortunate that there wasn't a playoff in place back when they were being spoon fed all those titles. I'm guessing the number of legit SEC national champs would've been cut at least in half if they had actually had to earn them. Fortunately for all of us, the days of the SEC being handed titles before the season ever even kicked off are OVER. Watch how few they win from here on out, since they now have to earn them.

Great post hokiemtc, well said.....the SEC was exposed this year for sure. It's nice to have a playoff instead of the media handing it to the SEC every year. The SEC west didn't just lose they were embarrassed in the bowls.....how sweet it is!!!!! People need to start looking at the Big 10, the addition of Harbaugh along with Meyers and others is starting to make a difference. I just hope going forward teams outside of the almighty SEC start getting the credit they deserve.....I don't care what anyone says, TCU can play with anyone this year.

hokiemtc: If you think SEC media bias was bad, just wait. You have not seen anything yet. The upcoming Big 10 media bias will be worse than anything the SEC ever had.
The SEC, ACC, and Big 12 may as well fold up the tents, and quit.
When the 2015 pre-season polls are released, there will probably be ten Big 10 teams in the Top 10.

But before anyone anoints the Big 10, just remember, Virginia Tech beat Ohio State and then lost to Wake Forest.

Everyone in the country threw TCU and Baylor into the gutter because of one loss. Ohio State should not have been thrown in gutter, they should have been thrown in the sewage treatment plant.

The bias of selection committee will destroy college football.

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:

hokiemtc: If you think SEC media bias was bad, just wait. You have not seen anything yet. The upcoming Big 10 media bias will be worse than anything the SEC ever had.
The SEC, ACC, and Big 12 may as well fold up the tents, and quit.
When the 2015 pre-season polls are released, there will probably be ten Big 10 teams in the Top 10.

But before anyone anoints the Big 10, just remember, Virginia Tech beat Ohio State and then lost to Wake Forest.

Everyone in the country threw TCU and Baylor into the gutter because of one loss. Ohio State should not have been thrown in gutter, they should have been thrown in the sewage treatment plant.

The bias of selection committee will destroy college football.
And Ala lost to a poor Miss St, who GT and CPJ destroyed, GT would of had 1000 yards rushing on the poor Tide defense. Paul Johnson was wrong about one thing when he said " well we won't have to hear about the SEC for a week " he left out anything positive. Poor Nicky Satan has to win now and not be awarded.

Yeah, that one might get pretty bad.

I would have enjoyed watching GT run all over Nicky and the boys......that would have been fun to watch.

You should move to Georgia if you like GT. I watched them one time PJs first year. I said never again . Dirty team.

You should move to Georgia if you like GT. I watched them one time PJs first year. I said never again . Dirty team.

Then you should be packed and SWEET HOME ALABAMA BLASTING .

I, too enjoy seeing the SEC loose. If anything good came out of this playoff system its that only one SEC team could be in it and loose.

The two teams that should be playing for the title are Oregon and TCU.
I remember when the Big Ten was the conference. They had two teams UM and OSU yet they were the conference. Almost every year one of them would go out to the Rose Bowl where they would play a PAC school and usually get their ass kicked but they were the conference.
The SEC has imo best the best conference overall in recent years. This year they are down . They like the Big Ten are heavy at the top.
They will struggle more to win the CFC because of the playoff system. Competition is also better as other conferences catch up.
Going to be interesting as CFB heads towards AAA status.

The media is destroying college football along with conference commissioners. Plus the biased selection committee.

I think Barry Alveraz was on selection committee.

Wisconsin laid an egg against Ohio State in Little 10 championship game.

Then Alveraz goes to Wisconsin and coaches team in bowl game.

I smell a rat.

Ohio should never have made playoffs, TCU or Baylor, or even both should have been in playoffs.

To show bias developing for Little 10, I read in Richmond paper today that Michigan State was best 2 loss team in NCAA. Bull----.

The media is destroying college football along with conference commissioners. Plus the biased selection committee.

I think Barry Alveraz was on selection committee.

Wisconsin laid an egg against Ohio State in Little 10 championship game.

Then Alveraz goes to Wisconsin and coaches team in bowl game.

I smell a rat.

Ohio should never have made playoffs, TCU or Baylor, or even both should have been in playoffs.

To show bias developing for Little 10, I read in Richmond paper today that Michigan State was best 2 loss team in NCAA. Bull----.
Michigan State is very good - they only lost on the road @Oregon and vs. Ohio State. They probably are the best 2 loss team in the country since they were able to beat Baylor.

You call out Ohio State - but they beat 9-4 Cincy, 8-5 Navy, 7-6 Maryland, 8-5 Rutgers, 7-6 Penn State, 11-2 Michigan State, 8-5 Minnesota, and 11-3 Wisconsin. That is 8 victories over teams with winning records - which is pretty good. They also beat Illinois as well and they went to a bowl.

One of your funnier post HR......they lost to OLE Miss who lost 4 games and got embarrassed in a bowl game and OSU who lost to VT. Not exactly qualifications to be the best 2 loss team in America. You crack me up with this stuff.....

I agree on VT the best 6 loss team. But truth be known we should be undefeated and playing January 12th.

Originally posted by Hoos19NC:
Yep, and if I had hair and weighed 50lbs less I would get more action.
If you had a VT jacket you would get more action.......................... DITCH THE BLAZER AND BOW TIE
roll.r191677.gif

Originally posted by 1bburgfan:
If you had a VT jacket you would get more action.......................... DITCH THE BLAZER AND BOW TIE
happy0007.r191677.gif

Originally posted by 1bburgfan:

roll.r191677.gif
That's just awesomeness - well done.

Easy boys....I've proven the Blazer and Bow Tie attract the Hokie Girls with my Hokie wife, maybe you boys should try it for yourself.

Easy boys....I've proven the Blazer and Bow Tie attract the Hokie Girls with my Hokie wife, maybe you boys should try it for yourself.
Who says we didn't when she was still in college?

tongue.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT