ADVERTISEMENT

And to think some of you were worried

No coaching tank jobs for VT this week. So far anyway.

We're actually a pretty good team when we're not in full blown WTF mode with our playcalling.

Although we did pass up a makeable 4th down attempt to let Slye shank one from beyond 40. I'll never, ever understand why we continue to do that every game.

I don't know how anyone could be worried about this UVa game unless they hadn't watched the Hoovers play this year. This team is as bad, and possibly worse, than any I can recall London fielding.

Does anyone ever remember another Coach alternating quarterbacks on EVERY play? And even after one of them throws 2 interceptions, they continue to put Johns back in there when it was pretty clear that the guy could not complete a pass if he had to. Even the TV announcers were amazed.
Bronco, welcome to Blacksburg.

Does anyone ever remember another Coach alternating quarterbacks on EVERY play? And even after one of them throws 2 interceptions, they continue to put Johns back in there when it was pretty clear that the guy could not complete a pass if he had to. Even the TV announcers were amazed.
Bronco, welcome to Blacksburg.
My theory is a Hokie drugged his coffee that morning.....nothing else could explain it.

I don't know how anyone could be worried about this UVa game unless they hadn't watched the Hoovers play this year. This team is as bad, and possibly worse, than any I can recall London fielding.
Bronco was not as fortunate as JuFu was. He inherited 84 players that no one else wanted, plus Smoke. Until he spends more time developing them, or gets some talent, they are going to struggle.

Bronco was not as fortunate as JuFu was. He inherited 84 players that no one else wanted, plus Smoke. Until he spends more time developing them, or gets some talent, they are going to struggle.

Sure, players like Smoke Mizzell, Quin Blanding, Andrew Brown and other so-called "thoroughbreds" who were going to return UVa's storied program to national prominence.

Seriously, though, if people knew the score and that UVa's cupboards were desperately bare, what the hell were they worried about anyway? I know we're a fan base filled with Chicken Littles but c'mon...

Sure, players like Smoke Mizzell, Quin Blanding, Andrew Brown and other so-called "thoroughbreds" who were going to return UVa's storied program to national prominence.

Seriously, though, if people knew the score and that UVa's cupboards were desperately bare, what the hell were they worried about anyway? I know we're a fan base filled with Chicken Littles but c'mon...
Exactly what I kept saying.....Hoos never had a chance. I believe VT has to play a perfect game to have any chance against Clemson, I just don't see VT winning this game.

I thought Smoke looked pretty impressive out there. I couldn't tell you much about anyone else on their roster, but Smoke stood out to me.

And as far as being worried goes, I sat here and watched us get blown out by Syracuse. And then I sat here and watched us tank a game against a bad GT team missing their starting QB, RB and center. I watched us not be able to stop Pitt from doing anything on offense, and I watched us have to come from way behind to beat a bad ND team that won't even make a bowl this year.

Yep, I was tons worried.

I thought Smoke looked pretty impressive out there. I couldn't tell you much about anyone else on their roster, but Smoke stood out to me.

And as far as being worried goes, I sat here and watched us get blown out by Syracuse. And then I sat here and watched us tank a game against a bad GT team missing their starting QB, RB and center. I watched us not be able to stop Pitt from doing anything on offense, and I watched us have to come from way behind to beat a bad ND team that won't even make a bowl this year.

Yep, I was tons worried.
I would be more worried this week...

This week is playing with house money. Zero worries this week, win or lose.
Not so sure....big bowl at stake. Lose and FSU will get a better bowl. You might even see Louisville get a better bowl because bowls will want the Heisman winner in their bowl. I would say a lot at stake.....

Louisville has Heisman flash this year and FSU has a brand name. VT has neither one in 2016, so I'm perfectly fine with those teams getting better bowls.

No matter what happens from here on out, this VT team exceeded everyone except HR6's expectations, so if we called it a season right now, I would still be a very happy camper.

There's big things in store for this program moving forward. 9 wins and a Coastal crown in year 1 was not a requirement.

Louisville has Heisman flash this year and FSU has a brand name. VT has neither one in 2016, so I'm perfectly fine with those teams getting better bowls.

No matter what happens from here on out, this VT team exceeded everyone except HR6's expectations, so if we called it a season right now, I would still be a very happy camper.

There's big things in store for this program moving forward. 9 wins and a Coastal crown in year 1 was not a requirement.
As long as you are happy.....all good.

Yep. Don't get me wrong, though...I think VT can win this week if the coaching WTF stars align just right, and it won't break my heart one little bit if we go ahead and bag win #10.

But even if we don't, this team has been a vast improvement from the crap we've watched the last 4 years. Things are heading in the right direction for sure.

VT should get better bowl than Louisville or FSU. I can't see the Louisville QB winning heisman. Evans should get more votes than him.

Yep, I was tons worried.

I think it's pretty evident at this point that the Syracuse loss was anomalous. It was an uncharacteristic off-game by our offense, on the road, and against a Syracuse offense that is very capable of scoring and moving the ball. GT was also anomalous, but again, GT is a solid 8-win team and has an extremely competent offense that is tailor-made to give our suspect run defense fits. UVa did not pose similar matchup problems or any at all. Their line play and QB play have been atrocious this year. It would have taken a disastrous offensive AND defensive effort on our part for UVa to have even had anything close to a chance against us.

Wrong on all accounts....

On all counts? How? FSU has one win against a currently ranked opponent, and while their loss against Louisville was against a decent team, it was still a ridiculous thumping. Tech won its division with relative ease, and FSU didn't even compete in theirs, really. Also not sure I disagree on Louisville. They've had some ugly losses as well. At best, I think you could argue it's a toss-up.

Louisville and FSU could not win their division. Every team in nation except Alabama had better be thankful that VT "did not come to play" vs Syracuse and GT. VT should be 11-1 (or 12-0, had we not turned ball over vs TN) ranked #2.

On all counts? How? FSU has one win against a currently ranked opponent, and while their loss against Louisville was against a decent team, it was still a ridiculous thumping. Tech won its division with relative ease, and FSU didn't even compete in theirs, really. Also not sure I disagree on Louisville. They've had some ugly losses as well. At best, I think you could argue it's a toss-up.
FSU is ranked 14th and will move up with win over Florida....if VT loses to Clemson there is no way FSU doesn't get a better bowl. Still believe Louisville gets a better bowl based on having the future Heisman winner at QB..... now if VT can upset Clemson none of this matters. It's all in VT's hands, just have to win.

Have to agree with you Hoos. After the playoffs it is mere eye-candy and Louisville is sexier right now. Is OK though. I would rather look good in a lesser bowl and end up with a 10-win season then get a bigger bowl and stink it up. If we are quibbling over the bowl pick and a ten-win season then I will take it. I have no doubt we will do well next year.

Looking at next year for VT....who do you lose to graduation or the NFL? I know Bucky and Ford are a risk to lose, who are the seniors you lose?

FSU is ranked 14th and will move up with win over Florida....if VT loses to Clemson there is no way FSU doesn't get a better bowl. Still believe Louisville gets a better bowl based on having the future Heisman winner at QB..... now if VT can upset Clemson none of this matters. It's all in VT's hands, just have to win.

I'm not arguing that that won't happen -- just that picking either FSU or Louisville over VT would be pretty capricious, and that "will" does not necessarily imply "should." I think we both know FSU's ranking has as much to do with face-saving by the media who had them over-ranked to begin with, and because they're Florida State. Doesn't change the fact that the loss to L'Ville was a bad one, the loss to UNC doesn't really look very good either, and outside of Florida (who will probably finish the season unranked or close to it) their best victory is against South Florida.

Looking at next year for VT....who do you lose to graduation or the NFL? I know Bucky and Ford are a risk to lose, who are the seniors you lose?

Rogers (FB), McLaughlin (OL), Conte (OL), Ekanem (DE), Baron (DT), Williams (DT), Clark and Greene (both FS). Losing Rogers and Ekanem is big, and both Baron and Williams have been dependable tackles. Not sure any loss would be catastrophic beyond Ford, though.

Have to agree with you Hoos. After the playoffs it is mere eye-candy and Louisville is sexier right now. Is OK though. I would rather look good in a lesser bowl and end up with a 10-win season then get a bigger bowl and stink it up. If we are quibbling over the bowl pick and a ten-win season then I will take it. I have no doubt we will do well next year.

In reality, unless a team is in playoffs or Sugar Bowl, there's very little difference between bowl games other than travel time, and opponent. I don't like some of the bowl tie-ins.

I have been to big bowls and bowls for 6-6 teams. Not any noticeable difference.

Now if UVA had gone 6-6, Hoos would like as if they were headed to Sugar Bowl.

Rogers (FB), McLaughlin (OL), Conte (OL), Ekanem (DE), Baron (DT), Williams (DT), Clark and Greene (both FS). Losing Rogers and Ekanem is big, and both Baron and Williams have been dependable tackles. Not sure any loss would be catastrophic beyond Ford, though.
Thanks, looks like a lot coming back.....be interesting to see what Ford and Hodges's decide to do.

We can easily be bypassed by FSU in the bowl areana. And if we lose to Clemson I predict we will be bypassed by at least FSU.
The UVA game was a puzzler. Rotating QB's was a disaster that they stuck with . It didn't make sense to do this and I believe that it would have been a much better game if they hadn't done it. We would still win but geez.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
VT will be ACC Champions or Runner-up. We are in Championship game. FSU, Louisville or any other wanna-be is not.

Okie Dokie lol. I just hope we make a good showing at the ACC game and get a decent bowl. Our team deserves that at least for this year. Being a good travelling team always helps for bowl considerations.

As I was reviewing bowl schedule this morning, some of the bowl tie-ins do not make sense. Too many southern bowls have Big 10 tie ins.

Now granted ACC loves B10 for some reason. they have the stupid ACC-10 basketball challenge. Never have like it.
Every ACC school should ignore B10. refuse to cooperate with them in any way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT