ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone watch the all american games this past week?

one man

All-Conference
Dec 8, 2002
I caught the semper fidelis game live, recorded the under armour game and watched that later. Didn't get to see the Army game. Thought Lawson looked pretty good. He's very raw still but extremely athletic for a guy his size, must get thicker and fill out that frame. He fumbled a play, didn't feel the pressure but overall I though he looked like a 2-3 year collegiate starter. At VT I'd be shocked if he doesn't redshirt with all the QBs coming back. Couple years from now he could be special. Mook Reynolds look solid, got called for PI 3 times if i recall correctly. Two of them were nit picky calls but overall he showed his good hips and he came up in run support a few times, looks very much the part of a future VT corner, will also likely be a 2-3 year starter, probably also redshirts with the group that returns. Fullwood looked pretty solid, didn't really stand out a whole lot but he got to the ball and made a few tackles. The guy that stood out to me in that game that VT missed on was Darrell Taylor. Long and athletic as all get out, very good bend when turning the corner on OTs. Once he adds a little weight he's going to be a premier pass rusher. I said last year this group of DEs coming out of VA this year might produce 4 NFL guys between Sweat, Ferrell, Hill and Taylor. I though VT would land at least 2 of them. As it turns out the Hokies only get Hill at this point but they are all very talented and in the same mold, long and extremely athletic. Fulwood, Gaines and Hill all fit the scheme very well though as outside speed rushers, will be interesting to see which of them comes to practice most prepared this summer. Not sure any of the three will be physically capable of cracking the two deep. That kid Nijman, IMO, is the most likely to earn PT this season. He's legit 6'7 and having gone to FUMA, he'll be further along both physcially and academically than the summer enrollees. He's listed as DE but wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at DT. The DL class as a whole is pretty good, coaches have done great job in filling needs with this current class.
As far as the Under Armour game, thought Settle looked about average, didn't stand out to me a whole lot. Made a few plays but as with most all american games, guys aren't going to standout when their opponent is 3-4 times better than any opponent you've seen in your high school career. The standout DLs in my eyes were Daylon Mack and Canton ???, the 6'6 280 lb kid from Hawaii that is committed to Oregon. I think Settle is going to be a big time player when all is said and done but if wnats to come in early and play, which he's playing a position where that could likely happen, he's got to get his butt in better shape. He's carrying too much bad weight at 325.

Hokie nation should be happy though as the future is looking extremely bright. Class of 2014 and class of 2015 are both really talented.

Of all incoming 2015 recruits for VT....

Which do you guys feel have the best chance to play as true freshman? Looking at the depth chart, I'd assume at least one OL will see some sort of playing time as at least a backup and then probably one or two DL could make an impact. I'd have my money on Austin Clark or Tyrell Smith, 1 of the 2 could likely crack the two deep as early enrollees. On defense I'd expect Nijman to see the field with his size to fit in at DT. Settle or Whitehead, if one of them comes in ready for work and having taken care of their body over the next few months, one of those guys could have a chance. I'd bet with all of the youth VT played this year and what all is coming back, most of the 2015 class will redshirt.

Re: Of all incoming 2015 recruits for VT....

Originally posted by one man:
Which do you guys feel have the best chance to play as true freshman? Looking at the depth chart, I'd assume at least one OL will see some sort of playing time as at least a backup and then probably one or two DL could make an impact. I'd have my money on Austin Clark or Tyrell Smith, 1 of the 2 could likely crack the two deep as early enrollees. On defense I'd expect Nijman to see the field with his size to fit in at DT. Settle or Whitehead, if one of them comes in ready for work and having taken care of their body over the next few months, one of those guys could have a chance. I'd bet with all of the youth VT played this year and what all is coming back, most of the 2015 class will redshirt.

Be tough for a true freshman to get reps at DT. Marshall, Maddy, Barron, Williams, Ricky Walker, Vincent Mihota.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT