ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Coach fired

The ACC is a tough conference to compete in each season. Some very good coaches established already, VT needs to hire a well established coach if they look to recruit well and compete each year.

Last edited:
A
The ACC is a tough conference to compete in each season. Some very good coaches established already, VT needs to hire a well established coach if the look to recruit well and compete each year.
Agreed. This will be a test of AD to see if he will open up the purse to support more than just football and basketball.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Probably the worst hire in VT history. When Hughes left, we should have conducted a nationwide search for a coach, instead of going down the hall and hiring first guy seen.

The worst was JJ. JJ was about as qualified and intelligent as the fictional character "JJ" from good times.

The worst was JJ. JJ was about as qualified and intelligent as the fictional character "JJ" from good times.

Not much energy at the ACC baseball tournament in Looeyville. Counted 27 people at the Duke/ Uva game. They need to move it back to Durham which has one of the best minor league stadiums in the country, not to mention the bull in left field.

Moving tournament to Louisville is probably dumber than moving basketball to New York, New Jersy, or where ever it was. Some conference commissioners are the dumbest people in sports, and the most over paid.

I see the NCAA shafted UVA baseball. They got sent to TCU Regional. UVA should be hosting a regional before Clemson . In case the NCAA didn't know it, the Hoos beat Clemson 10-2 in ACC tournament.

I see the NCAA shafted UVA baseball. They got sent to TCU Regional. UVA should be hosting a regional before Clemson . In case the NCAA didn't know it, the Hoos beat Clemson 10-2 in ACC tournament.
Really was a surprise, especially the way both teams played down the stretch. Clemson's coach was even surprised after they went 6-12 down the stretch. While UVA was 13-4.....most felt UVA would host over Clemson because of the win in the ACC tournament but as usual with NCAA nothing is a sure thing.....except UNCheat getting away with everything.

I can see an argument made for UVA to host, but having them a 2 seed seems acceptable as well. While UVA had the better record, Clemson played the harder schedule. Clemson played the other 6 ACC teams that made the tourney, while UVA did not play tourney teams Wake and NC State, and UVA's OOC schedule was ranked 235 this year.

These teams were close, but Clemson's better RPI and SOS were the difference. Obviously, the committee gives a lot of weight to RPI. The top 15 RPI teams all got 1 seeds, and Houston, at 17 RPI, got the other 1 seed over UVA, who was 16th in RPI.

Last edited:
Something happened.. The committee should have looked at the score of the UVA-Clemson game in ACC tournament.

I can see an argument made for UVA to host, but having them a 2 seed seems acceptable as well. While UVA had the better record, Clemson played the harder schedule. Clemson played the other 6 ACC teams that made the tourney, while UVA did not play tourney teams Wake and NC State, and UVA's OOC schedule was ranked 235 this year.

These teams were close, but Clemson's better RPI and SOS were the difference. Obviously, the committee gives a lot of weight to RPI. The top 15 RPI teams all got 1 seeds, and Houston, at 17 RPI, got the other 1 seed over UVA, who was 16th in RPI.
I get what you are saying but in all other NCAA sports it matters how you are playing down the stretch. Clemson has had a bandaid on for the last month and UVA has been playing well. Oh well hopefully the Hoos can find a way to win in Texas....heard Babcock made a deal with Maryland AD, vote Clemson over UVA and I will vote Maryland into the tournament. Just saw the Teel column where Babcock claims he can't remember how he voted on UVA hosting....coward, be a man and admit you voted against the Hoos.

The NCAA basketball committee does not look at how a team plays down the stretch. They used to look at a team's final 10 games, but wisely realized teams played different schedules down the stretch, and it was much better to look at a team's whole season. I think baseball is correct in doing the same.

As far as Babcock is concerned, I do not think there is any chance he would be foolish enough to make some kind of secret deal with another AD. Something like that would be cause for a firing. Give him more credit than that. Also, I do not think he should let anyone know who he voted for. If you admit to voting for a certain team, that leaves the door open for getting criticized for possibly not voting for a different team. Unless all members share who they choose, there is no reason for Whit to do so.

Last edited:
The NCAA basketball committee does not look at how a team plays down the stretch. They used to look at a team's final 10 games, but wisely realized teams played different schedules down the stretch, and it was much better to look at a team's whole season. I think baseball is correct in doing the same.

As far as Babcock is concerned, I do not think there is any chance he would be foolish enough to make some kind of secret deal with another AD. Something like that would be cause for a firing. Give him more credit than that. Also, I do not think he should let anyone know who he voted for. If you admit to voting for a certain team, that leaves the door open for getting criticized for possibly not voting for a different team. Unless all members share who they choose, there is no reason for Whit to do so.
I respectfully disagree about NCAA not looking at games down the stretch.....ever heard of the bubble? Teams can absolutely play their way in by finishing strong and in some cases having a good conference tournament.
As for Babcock, just pulling everyone's chain. Trying to get some life in this dead board.

Every year NCAA selection committees claim to have different critiera. They should use same guidelines every season. Every committee member who voted Clemson over UVA to host, should be removed from committee. It's evident they know very little about college baseball.

Reactions: B1dee
Hoos19,
What I mean about the committee not looking at games down the stretch is that they do not put more importance on games down the stretch than the whole season. So UVA beating Clemson in the ACC tournament is not looked at more favorably than Clemson taking 2 out of 3 from Virginia in the regular season.

Same with basketball. The committee has stated numerous times they look at the whole season when evaluating teams. Sure, teams play their way on or off the bubble late in the season, but that is because those wins or losses affect their whole season's resume.

A perfect example of the committee looking at the whole season and not giving more weight to games at the end of the season is Duke winning the ACC tournament, with wins over Clemson, Louisville, UNC, and Notre Dame, but getting a 2 seed while UNC still got the 1 seed.

That win in ACC tournament should carry more weight than a regular season game or games. Trophies are won in tournaments.

Remember Blacksburg H.S. football team last season. 5-5 during regular season. But they brought home the trophy from Williamsburg.

Excellent article in paper today from Roanoke Times writer Mark Berman on VT baseball. He interviewed former Coach Pete Hughes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT