ADVERTISEMENT

Beamer...time to go..been living on the Vick legacy

Thanks, we're going to need some luck if we're going to finish above .500 this season. We're just not very good these days.

Reactions: SamAdamsHokie
sorry guys he's washed up...get some energy on that sidelines...you are too good a program to put up with Franks aw shucks Attitude...good luck rest of season
Coach Beamer doesn't look good, nor does he sound good. I've watched his halftime interviews the last two weeks, and he talks much slower than he did even a few years ago. I'm concerned for his health. Best regards to a long time conference foe in Tech.

sorry guys he's washed up...get some energy on that sidelines...you are too good a program to put up with Franks aw shucks Attitude...good luck rest of season

Writing's been on the wall for a while now. We started deflating 6-7 years ago, and now the air is entirely out.

Not wanting to pile-on, but there can be comparisons made between Frank Beamer and Joe Paterno.

Both men were good coaches in their prime, but both refused to acknowledge when it was time to step down. And also in the case of both : their university's administrators lacked the cajones to "make the decision to 'retire' " for them.

Last edited:
Paterno stayed in the booth his last years. At this point Im cool with that from Beamer. Let him sit up there with a dead headset and still be "head coach". Let Shane,SL and Foster do the work. Put Steiney up there with him to fetch drinks and popcorn.

Been time for Beamer to go for a few years. The coaching staff can't settled on even just 2 RBs, and instead throw so many guys out there that none of them get to get into a proper groove. He has underused JC Coleman from his first day at the school...what a shame!

I don't disagree with your message at all. Time for change. Your title is radically inaccurate. Not sure any team in the nation had more wins from 2001 to 2011 than VT and Frank Beamer. 2012-2015 has been very disappointing, but to say Frank's legacy is solely based on Michael Vick is just not correct.

At FSU our decline under Bowden started on the offensive side of the ball. After a couple years, even with our very good DC Mickey Andrews, our defensive side of the team started to disintegrate. I see the same pattern for VT. It is not going to get any better under your current HC

Didn't Bowden hire one of his sons as OC for you for awhile? That didn't work out so well just like Beamer's choice of Stinespring. Guess the similarities are almost scary.
Difference is Beamer doesn't have any championships and Bowden does.

Didn't Bowden hire one of his sons as OC for you for awhile? That didn't work out so well just like Beamer's choice of Stinespring. Guess the similarities are almost scary.
Difference is Beamer doesn't have any championships and Bowden does.
Both Bowden and Paterno hired sons.

Is Stinespring still around????
Fire Beamer
Hire Kiffin
Get this program headed in the right direction..

Enough of the political correctness, time to call it like it is. Beamer gotta go and take junior with him. Call Bemer into the office and offer for him retire end of season or fire him right there. Fire Stinespring same day. Clean house and start over. Bud can stay as DC, not HC. This program has fallen off the radar.

No doubt Frank's time has come. The real question - who will be available to replace him? We can't afford to make a mistake on this hire. It absolutely has to be a great hire - someone who can keep our top in state recruits from leaving the state AND be able to evaluate good under the radar talent. I don't think Bud is that recruiter we need and why I don't support Bud as HC. I've kind of thought Whit would move to retire Beamer at the end of this season, but getting concerned now about the other great jobs opening up.

I don't think necessarily that we have to worry about our pedigree to sell top coaching talent. At that level money talks and BS walks. Besides there is a certain amount of ego involved and who wouldn't want credit for taking Virginia Tech to the next level? I think more that it will be who does VT want? I think our new AD will pony up the money it takes to get a top hire. You increase the salary enough and you can get anyone. Even Myers or Saban. With the right amount of money, we could raid any program. (Of course a program can counter and match VT's offer but would they?)

Reactions: zep 40
Who VT gets for your next head coach can also depend on which other schools have openings. If one of the elite programs is looking that can take a top coach out of the pool.

No doubt Frank's time has come. The real question - who will be available to replace him? We can't afford to make a mistake on this hire. It absolutely has to be a great hire - someone who can keep our top in state recruits from leaving the state AND be able to evaluate good under the radar talent. I don't think Bud is that recruiter we need and why I don't support Bud as HC. I've kind of thought Whit would move to retire Beamer at the end of this season, but getting concerned now about the other great jobs opening up.

It's an interesting dilemma, because on the one hand you look at what happened at Clemson. Bowden gets canned and Swinney gets promoted from a positional coaching spot over two more logical choices on the team at the time and eventually contracted as HC just because of his propensity as a top recruiter. And he's certainly proven beyond doubt it was the right move. Clemson's recruiting has been stupendous ever since. He also hired Morris virtually straight off a high school field to the chagrin of nearly the entire fanbase but they've averaged over 40 pts since.

On the other hand, you hire a HC with experience. But there won't be near the options and the more prestigious the coach's rep, the more prestigious the competition to get him and less chance of landing him. I'm guessing at this point in our "history and tradition", we'd be around 3rd - 6th in line for a top guy depending on how many teams need one at season's end. And it looks like there's gonna be a whole lot of vacancies this year. I'm not liking our chances there, and the potential to have to settle.

Personally, I like the first option. Find someone young and fiery who is a proven recruiter. That doesn't necessarily mean he'll have the foresight or wherewithal to make a gutsy homerun hire like Morris. But there appears to be offensive gurus everywhere right now as explosive offense has become the trend over the past several years. They've almost made it look easy across the nation (which makes me wonder how we could go 0-0 against a team like Wake. I could see being stopped by a powerhouse team but Wake?) The Lefty hire befuddled me more than anything. I'd rather have taken a chance on an fcs guy from a hi powered offense if we didn't have the prestige to lure one from a p5 barnburner. But I seriously don't think it was even considered because of conflicts with the chief's "SOP".

In football especially, things almost never end up like they first appeared. Remember when London was ACC COTY? Remember when Michigan had Mich St beaten yesterday? o_O

The one proven thing we have going for us is Babcock.

Reactions: mrjolly01
I think Chip Kelly will be available by the end of next year or sooner. He's another college genius that hasn't transitioned well to the NFL. The Philly fans won't stand for too much more if he keeps losing. Pony up the money needed and keep Bud on the D. Can you imagine that coaching lineup? We'll be back in a short period of time. A lot of the tools are there already. Kelly with Lawson, get outta here, and with Bucky, Ford, McMillian? Your season tickets would really be worth something then. Or get an OC from the Big 12 scoring machines and keep Bud. It's actually an attractive offer for a coach to come to Blacksburg. Not quite as much pressure as an SEC school, but with a rabid and loyal fan base and a possible long term career.

I know when people are in a job that they like and get paid really well, it's hard to leave. Frank's a Hokie at heart through and through, but honestly, I knew when it was time to go when I retired at work and he should too.Thanks for the memories Frank, but it is time and any other decision is just delaying the inevitable. Retire with dignity and get a nice box at Lane. You'll get a huge ovation at Lane always.Always. Don't be like Spurrier, or Bowden, or JoePa. You're better than the other guys that stayed too long. Enjoy the time you have left and try to stay healthy, somebody can take it from here. You'll find it will be actually fun to watch.

I think Chip Kelly will be available by the end of next year or sooner. He's another college genius that hasn't transitioned well to the NFL. The Philly fans won't stand for too much more if he keeps losing. Pony up the money needed and keep Bud on the D. Can you imagine that coaching lineup? We'll be back in a short period of time. A lot of the tools are there already. Kelly with Lawson, get outta here, and with Bucky, Ford, McMillian? Your season tickets would really be worth something then. Or get an OC from the Big 12 scoring machines and keep Bud. It's actually an attractive offer for a coach to come to Blacksburg. Not quite as much pressure as an SEC school, but with a rabid and loyal fan base and a possible long term career.

I know when people are in a job that they like and get paid really well, it's hard to leave. Frank's a Hokie at heart through and through, but honestly, I knew when it was time to go when I retired at work and he should too.Thanks for the memories Frank, but it is time and any other decision is just delaying the inevitable. Retire with dignity and get a nice box at Lane. You'll get a huge ovation at Lane always.Always. Don't be like Spurrier, or Bowden, or JoePa. You're better than the other guys that stayed too long. Enjoy the time you have left and try to stay healthy, somebody can take it from here. You'll find it will be actually fun to watch.

Dude I would be ecstatic with Chip Kelly as the HC but man can you imagine the competition for him??? If Babcock somehow pulled that off, he'd deserve his own statue outside Lane.

You're not getting kelly. VT isn't a sexy offer at all despite what your fanbase may believe.

And Beamer is not better than those other coaches, they all won championships my friend.

On the real find a young mid major kinda guy with a hot offense.

Dude I would be ecstatic with Chip Kelly as the HC but man can you imagine the competition for him??? If Babcock somehow pulled that off, he'd deserve his own statue outside Lane.

Yeah, I agree. But I never thought he would get someone the caliber of Buzz and he did. So here's hoping. I have friends that know him fairly well and he's no none sense. A move will be made and I hope it will be a good one. Beamer will get this year, but I think coming back next year is iffy at best right now. Changes will be made.

How long does Beamer have left on his contract? That could determine if he is back next year or not....

How long does Beamer have left on his contract? That could determine if he is back next year or not....
How long does London have left on this contract? That could determine if he is back next year or not.

Two things are for sure: Chip Kelly is never coming to Blacksburg and Frank Beamer is not retiring until after the 2016 season.

I don't think necessarily that we have to worry about our pedigree to sell top coaching talent. At that level money talks and BS walks. Besides there is a certain amount of ego involved and who wouldn't want credit for taking Virginia Tech to the next level? I think more that it will be who does VT want? I think our new AD will pony up the money it takes to get a top hire. You increase the salary enough and you can get anyone. Even Myers or Saban. With the right amount of money, we could raid any program. (Of course a program can counter and match VT's offer but would they?)
Srsly? Myers or Saban? Throw Bill Belichick in there too!

Two things are for sure: Chip Kelly is never coming to Blacksburg and Frank Beamer is not retiring until after the 2016 season.
Beamer will not return for 2016. He will gracefully step down. Of course it might be ugly behind closed doors when Whit forces him to go, but publicly he will gracefully step down.

This is where we are with five games left on the schedule. It's all in Mr. Whit's hands. Going to be exciting !

You're not getting kelly. VT isn't a sexy offer at all despite what your fanbase may believe.

And Beamer is not better than those other coaches, they all won championships my friend.

On the real find a young mid major kinda guy with a hot offense.

Spot on ^^^^

Coaches don't really care that much about so-called "sexy" location. Obviously, a "storied" program is an easier sell to a coach because it makes recruiting easier and the money is better because of endorsements. But look at it this way - relatively cheap area to live in Blacksburg. So a high salary in Blacksburg goes a long way. Virginia Tech is attractive because everyone has heard of them and getting them relevant again would not be an impossible task. That would look good on a coach's resume. It really boils down to what Whit and the Boosters Association are willing to pay.

Reality is that a super-coach is most likely locked in a multi-year contract anyway. It really boils down to who would be available unless our AD and Boosters is willing to buy a coach out of his contract. I doubt you will see that happening. Not a good thing as then you would have more poaching from other conferences.

So who is going to be available this year? Personally, I think CFB coaches in 2016.

Coaches don't really care that much about so-called "sexy" location. Obviously, a "storied" program is an easier sell to a coach because it makes recruiting easier and the money is better because of endorsements. But look at it this way - relatively cheap area to live in Blacksburg. So a high salary in Blacksburg goes a long way. Virginia Tech is attractive because everyone has heard of them and getting them relevant again would not be an impossible task. That would look good on a coach's resume. It really boils down to what Whit and the Boosters Association are willing to pay.

Reality is that a super-coach is most likely locked in a multi-year contract anyway. It really boils down to who would be available unless our AD and Boosters is willing to buy a coach out of his contract. I doubt you will see that happening. Not a good thing as then you would have more poaching from other conferences.

So who is going to be available this year? Personally, I think CFB coaches in 2016.
Not the slightest chance.

Two words: Justin Fuente
I like that pick a lot. Memphis has an unbelievable QB right now too so this guy could really take Lawson and coach him up. Both he and Bud went to Murray State, there's a connection there. So I think Bud would be up for it. Maybe after Frank's last year(2016?), the change could be made. If it's after this year, maybe Frank could announce that he's "stepping up" to become the Asst. AD and Fuentes will come in as the head coach with Frank helping with "recruiting and football operations".
Doesn't have to do anything, kick him upstairs for a while. I think Bud should be kept as DC and asst. coach if it can work out that way.

To get Fuente, VT would have to move fast and that's not been the Hokie way in the past. I guarantee you that Fuente is on the radar of a lot of schools that have or are going to make coaching changes. He won't be at Memphis next year.

To get Fuente, VT would have to move fast and that's not been the Hokie way in the past. I guarantee you that Fuente is on the radar of a lot of schools that have or are going to make coaching changes. He won't be at Memphis next year.
Would like to see him at UVA next year. I agree someone will have him next year, just wonder where it will be...

We don't have the same people in charge as we did in the past, and Whit moved pretty fast on Buzz. Once Beamer's out of the way I expect we'll move pretty quickly.

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
There are a few good ones out there. I doubt we get Fuente since there are too many schools with interims already and we've got to let CFB ride the year out even if we lose every game. He may step down if we lose 2 or 3 more in a row though.

VT is a good gig but there are better. The fans are spoiled in that they dont have to worry every year If the coach will return. Good or bad, at least coaching was fairly stable over the years. If we get a good coach, i doubt he stays on like Beamer did. Just not the norm these days. Sucks changing coaches every few years. Something Hokie fans will have to get used to one of these days.

VT is a good gig but there are better. The fans are spoiled in that they dont have to worry every year If the coach will return. Good or bad, at least coaching was fairly stable over the years. If we get a good coach, i doubt he stays on like Beamer did. Just not the norm these days. Sucks changing coaches every few years. Something Hokie fans will have to get used to one of these days.
Good point....the revolving door that coaches move through these days is sometimes hard to keep up with who is coaching who. You guys have had a very unique situation with Beamer and it's very doubtful you will ever have a coach stay near this long again. I know and understand the reason you guys are screaming for a new coach but the grass may not be greener......I have nothing but respect for the job Beamer has done, as a Hoo I look forward to him being gone and I believe Bud will leave as well if you bring in a coach from outside of the program. Just be careful what you wish for.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT