ADVERTISEMENT

Beat Notre Dame and they will be Bowl ineligible......

Duo

Hokie Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2006
and eligible only if they can beat both VT and USC. Otherwise, they will have their 14th losing season in their entire history!

Now there is an incentive for ya to make history.........:mad:

Last edited:
It be good for college football if Golden Doomers do not go to a bowl. Maybe someday the NCAA will cease giving ND favors they don't give the other 325 schools.

Reactions: godabo44
It be good for college football if Golden Doomers do not go to a bowl. Maybe someday the NCAA will cease giving ND favors they don't give the other 325 schools.

Hampton...........

Don't think that is likely to happen until ND football goes back to being irrelevant..............once again. :cool:

I am no fan of Notre Dame and do not care either way, but I don't see them being irrelevant anytime soon. They have solid tradition and facilities. They have the prowess to bring in elite coaching. I don't care for Coach Kelly's personality, but he is a good coach. Their recruiting is solid. They will be solid for a long time.

ND may get some special treatment, but I don't think any other program in college football would turn down the same type of treatment ND gets, if it were offered.

ND does not deserve special treatment. Every school should be treated the same by NCAA. The ACC is as bad as NCAA when it comes to kissing up to ND. Having 5 schools play ND each season is cow manure. Letting ND into ACC for all other sports is more cow manure. ND should be in Big 10. No other conference.

Reactions: godabo44
We should have rolled Syracuse but did not. That loss still puzzles me. VT Miami and BC should have told other ACC schools how hard it is for visitors to play in Carrier Dom, and not allowed Syracuse in ACC.

We should have rolled Syracuse but did not. That loss still puzzles me. VT Miami and BC should have told other ACC schools how hard it is for visitors to play in Carrier Dom, and not allowed Syracuse in ACC.
Yeah, what is it about the Carrier Dome? Syracuse sucks, but not as much at home.

There's a good chance Kelly won't be at ND next year. Bama and Clemson, Michigan etc. are leaving them behind. I know they would like to get Kelly from SF but I don't see that happening. Maybe Navy's coach, he'd be a good fit.

That will be an incentive in 2 weeks time, but this week is about Joja Tek.

OK, so that one is in the book. Thoughts on ND? Their defense is weak to say the least. How is the VT offense shaping up? If Bud can hold them to 2 TD's and a FG the VT offense would have to score 18 or more points to win. Thoughts??

Last edited:
I'll go ahead and predict a loss for VT here. I'm not seeing anything on either side of the ball that's giving me a warm and fuzzy these days.

If we do not fumble or throw INTs, we should destroy the Golden Dommers. But we need to get more production out of RBs.

OK you guys..........ND is 4 and 6. They absolutely have to beat VT and at home and USC on the road in order to have 6 wins and be bowl eligible. That is of course, unless some bowl wants to give them an invitation even if they have a losing record. And I'm not sure if that is even allowed by the NCAA?

On defense stop their run game and force them to pass. They are good for 1 or 2 INT's per game.

On offense, just do what you do best. ND is not good at stoping most kind of offensive attack..........see NC State.

Vegas odds are a "pick um". No home field advantage for ND even though their players are supposedly ranked much higher than VT's according to the star rankings. Go figure!? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
OK, so that one is in the book. Thoughts on ND? Their defense is weak to say the least. How is the VT offense shaping up? If Bud can hold them to 2 TD's and a FG the VT offense would have to score 18 or more points to win. Thoughts??
What about Florida State's defense? You guys got absolutely lit up by Louisville, so you must know something about weak defenses.

What about Florida State's defense? You guys got absolutely lit up by Louisville, so you must know something about weak defenses.

........Bill,

This is true. However, it is VT that is playing in South Bend Saturday. So......what's your prediction? Can VT beat ND?

........Bill,

This is true. However, it is VT that is playing in South Bend Saturday. So......what's your prediction? Can VT beat ND?
Certainly they can. ND isn't ND this year and VT has looked good.

However, I expect it to be a pick-'em. Might come down to the last possession.

It's scary thinking how close VT could be to being undefeated right now, ranked #2 in nation. In reality we should have beat TN, Syracuse and GT.

Reactions: srwtxtn
Truth be known, VT should win easily, but we should have beaten Syracuse and GT easily.
I agree that we were close. However we didn't win those games and a couple of them were really stinkers. No excuse for Syracuse loss. I think that our losses reveals an underlying lack of depth that is a true Archille's Heel. We have shown moments of being a really good team and then WTF moments where we looked really clueless.

If I put on the Maroon and Orange glasses then I believe that the WTF moments becomes less frequent and the "ah haa" moments become more frequent. We still have a long, long, long ways to getting to a serviceable line. And our defense has been off. Without pressure from the front four our defense is really in trouble.

Overall - a good year and one to build on. I know that everyone wants us back to relevance right away but in reality it takes awhile. Look at Florida State. Took them almost a decade to get back. Several people warned of this when we were going downhill under previous coaching staff. It takes awhile to regain the trust of the high school coaches in your traditional recruiting areas. With declining stock you can almost forget about recruiting new areas. So . . . we need to give this some more time. I think that Justin will continue to improve and open up recruiting for more successes. Let's give it a few years.

Last edited:
Hoping for a victory against ND, but we have difficulty against mobile QB's. 1-3 against them this year. Offense better put up 40 or this will be a loss.

swmrappell.............

Re: "Look at Florida State. Took them almost a decade to get back. Several people warned of this when we were going downhill under previous coaching staff. It takes awhile to regain the trust of the high school coaches in your traditional recruiting areas. With declining stock you can almost forget about recruiting new areas. So . . . we need to give this some more time. I think that Justin will continue to improve and open up recruiting for more successes. Let's give it a few years."

OK, good points. Now take a look at what coach Jimbo Fisher did in one year at FSU. In 2012 he lost 5 coaches that went to other schools for promotions and/or big increases in salaries. In addition, he lost about 5 important staff people for the same reason. So, what did he do? Hired 7 new coaches and staff people and went on to win the NC in 2013. The point is anything is possible, albeit there is some luck involved as well.

So, maybe VT won't need "a few years". Maybe all you need is a Michael Vick or a Jameis Winston. ;)

swmrappell.............

Re: "Look at Florida State. Took them almost a decade to get back. Several people warned of this when we were going downhill under previous coaching staff. It takes awhile to regain the trust of the high school coaches in your traditional recruiting areas. With declining stock you can almost forget about recruiting new areas. So . . . we need to give this some more time. I think that Justin will continue to improve and open up recruiting for more successes. Let's give it a few years."

OK, good points. Now take a look at what coach Jimbo Fisher did in one year at FSU. In 2012 he lost 5 coaches that went to other schools for promotions and/or big increases in salaries. In addition, he lost about 5 important staff people for the same reason. So, what did he do? Hired 7 new coaches and staff people and went on to win the NC in 2013. The point is anything is possible, albeit there is some luck involved as well.

So, maybe VT won't need "a few years". Maybe all you need is a Michael Vick or a Jameis Winston. ;)
I would guess that FSU had the recruits to win with when Jimbo took over.....not sure VT had that type of recruit when JF took over. I would say he has done well with what he was left with.....but getting Evans probably saved the season.

Reactions: srwtxtn
Congratulations on handing Notre Dame a losing season. Coming from behind on the road when VT was down 17-0 and 24-7 took a lot of guts. Yep, 4 and 7 ND played 5 ACC teams this year and lost to 3 of them and beat Miami with a last second FG.

VT made history today...........handing ND their 14th losing season in their entire football history!

Once again 4-7 ND lost to a team with a first year coach and vastly lesser in terms of talent (as measured by star ratings) and proved they are one of the most poorly coached and overrated teams in all of CFB.

Job well done Hokies!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
The ACC should drop the 5 game "crap" with Notre Dame. It will be good seeing ND sit home with UVA during bowl season. Golden Dommers do not deserve a bowl, other than toilet bowl.

But if they finish 5-7, I bet NCAA will find a way to get them in a bowl.(if there's not enough 6-6 teams).

The ACC should drop the 5 game "crap" with Notre Dame. It will be good seeing ND sit home with UVA during bowl season. Golden Dommers do not deserve a bowl, other than toilet bowl.

But if they finish 5-7, I bet NCAA will find a way to get them in a bowl.(if there's not enough 6-6 teams).

Hampton............

I'm betting on 4-8 for ND this year. My guess is USC playing at home in the Coliseum will beat ND like a drum next Saturday. If they receive a bowl invitation with a 4-8 or even a 5-7 record that would be both embarrassing and disgusting.

Once again 4-7 Notre Dame with all of their highly rated players (according to the 5 star ratings) has proved they are the most overrated, poorly coached team in the nation losing at home to an underdog team with a first year coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
I bet the NCAA and ACC will find something nice to give ND, even with a 4-8 record. I wish every school was treated by NCAA like ND is.

I love how our offensive coaches actually adjust the game plan based on what's happening on the field. Kudos to Bud as well for adjustments at halftime. The defense was lights out in the 2nd half with the exception of that one long TD run, really. We're still giving up way too many big plays and sometimes get pushed around up-front but the defense did enough tonight.

Kudos to Coach Justin Fuente for putting together a team that will most likely be the ACC Coastal Division Champions and play Clemson for the ACC Championship in his first year as head Coach of the Hokies!

Compare that to Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly destined to lead his highly rated (in terms of star ratings) team to a 4-8 record (assuming 8-3 USC beats ND in the Coliseum) in his 7th year!

Clemson in the ACCCG will be a formidable challenge but hey!...........they did lose to Pittsburgh!

Last edited:
The ACC is going to look stupid hav in championship game in Orlando with Clemson vs VT or UNC
Attendance in Charlotte would have been far better. Fans should boycott Orlando to teach ACC a lesson.

I will boycott it. I will not be there in Orlando and hope the ACC looks foolish. The ACC, an athletic conference, has no business throwing its hat in the ring with politics. Politics and sports should be, and for the most part, have almost always been separate. It's a shame what the radical left (not even mainstream or near the center) but the far-far left wing in this country is doing to Carolina. Sadly, the ACC and NBA and NCAA have thrown their hats into the ring with politics. I would feel the same way if it were the far right because.......sports owners, athletic conferences, and the NCAA have no business amalgamating sports and politics.

I will boycott it. I will not be there in Orlando and hope the ACC looks foolish. The ACC, an athletic conference, has no business throwing its hat in the ring with politics. Politics and sports should be, and for the most part, have almost always been separate. It's a shame what the radical left (not even mainstream or near the center) but the far-far left wing in this country is doing to Carolina. Sadly, the ACC and NBA and NCAA have thrown their hats into the ring with politics. I would feel the same way if it were the far right because.......sports owners, athletic conferences, and the NCAA have no business amalgamating sports and politics.
Truth is the ACC made move to take our minds off the fake classes and cheating at UNCheat.

H. Roads..........

Vegas has USC as a 17 1/2 point favorite over Notre Dame.

Vegas has USC as a 17 1/2 point favorite over Notre Dame.
It will be worse than that. Those overrated Trojan SOBs have actually been playing some really solid football ever since they found a real QB at midseason.

Tell you what, if a guy wants to get all dressed up like a Sheila (Crocodile Dundee's words not mine), what the heck is it to you and I? All I want is the ACCCG to be played in Charlotte :)

Warmer in Orlando. I'm in. Politics be damned.

Had to add this: But I agree that Charlotte is way more central for the league.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT