ADVERTISEMENT

Buzz not getting it done this year, so far.

Its been 23 years since the Hoos beat Duke in Durham. We'll see if they're for real.
They are for real whether they win that game or not. Didn’t know about that streak though. I’d say it gives them more incentive to play well, but they haven’t needed any incentive to play well every time I’ve seen them.

Its been 23 years since the Hoos beat Duke in Durham. We'll see if they're for real.
I don’t think losing a close game at Duke would mean UVA is not for real. Tough place for anyone to win, plus it’s tough to win on the road at any ACC school.

That just ruined your day didn’t it HR......Hoos!!!! Like them or not, Bennett is doing a great job....

I have to agree. Duke has the better athletes but the Hoo's played great defense, had just a few turnovers and played great as a team.
Grayson Allen had a terrible game. Poor lad.

Will be interesting to see how the Hoos fare against Duke Saturday. They have been playing well but I don't see them as the 2nd best team in the country, maybe the ACC. This game will tell the tale.

I don't really see any overwhelmingly dominant teams this year. That's not meant as a slight on UVa, either, but I can't think of anyone out there who is *clearly* better than UVa.

I hate Louisville almost as much as I hate UVA, but I will be wearing red Wednesday. Hopefully Louisville will leave jpj's place with a win.

I predict Boo hoos will win one game in NCAA tournament, then lose in round 2.

I hate Louisville almost as much as I hate UVA, but I will be wearing red Wednesday. Hopefully Louisville will leave jpj's place with a win.

I predict Boo hoos will win one game in NCAA tournament, then lose in round 2.
So far your predictions and rooting interest have been laughable....please keep picking against the Hoos.

So far your predictions and rooting interest have been laughable....please keep picking against the Hoos.

Not to give credence to HR6's ridiculous views on NCAABB, but depending on UVa's draw I could see an early exit also. A rangy, athletic and up-tempo team like Auburn, Kentucky, Florida or WVU (their sole loss thus far), could be really bad news. If you look traditionally at what UVa struggles against come tourney time, it's teams who press hard (Syracuse, for example) and overwhelm them with athleticism (Florida has twice stomped you guys) that present a real problem. And I guess Tom Izzo, too. I think @FSU will be a good bellwether, honestly. They have the size and speed to totally disrupt Bennett's halfcourt-oriented style.

Not to give credence to HR6's ridiculous views on NCAABB, but depending on UVa's draw I could see an early exit also. A rangy, athletic and up-tempo team like Auburn, Kentucky, Florida or WVU (their sole loss thus far), could be really bad news. If you look traditionally at what UVa struggles against come tourney time, it's teams who press hard (Syracuse, for example) and overwhelm them with athleticism (Florida has twice stomped you guys) that present a real problem. And I guess Tom Izzo, too. I think @FSU will be a good bellwether, honestly. They have the size and speed to totally disrupt Bennett's halfcourt-oriented style.
Not saying Hoos go deep this year but biggest difference in this years team is we have 4 guys that can lead team in scoring each night. In the past we had one or two and that was all the options. Also remember that Anderson got injured one year and Wilkins was ill last year and that hurt more than most realize. You are correct that match ups can help or hurt you and that remains to be seen. But this team is good on both ends of the court and could make a run. They are certainly better than HR would ever admit because he’s a homer....

Boos hoos can run the table and win it all, but I will never give them any love. I simply do not like UVA basketball, (or football).

Heaks, I guess it depends on what your definition of early exit is.
HR predicted Hoos will lose in round 2. They will be a #1 seed, so they would not meet teams like Auburn, Florida, Ky., and WVU in round 2. If they make the sweet 16 and lose, I would not call that an early exit, especially this year when the round of 16 will probably be filled with competitive games.
I agree that those teams could beat Va., but they are probable top 4/5 seeds if not higher so they could beat anyone and it would not be a major surprise.

Reactions: HeaksManley
Most boo hoo fans I know, are looking at Final 4 already. The way boo hoos are acting, anything less than national championship will be a let down. But no one remembers who finished 2nd.

Most boo hoo fans I know, are looking at Final 4 already. The way boo hoos are acting, anything less than national championship will be a let down. But no one remembers who finished 2nd.
Same can be said for football.....did VT finish 2nd once?.... ant remember

All I know is, VT has won more ACC football championships in 13 years, than UVA has in over 60 years. I think UVA did share one, back in the ice age.

All I know is, VT has won more ACC football championships in 13 years, than UVA has in over 60 years. I think UVA did share one, back in the ice age.[/QUOTE
Your post was in context of NC’s but I understand you don’t have any so it’s hard for you to relate......but I do believe UVA has one more ACC football championships than VT has ACC basketball championships.

Heaks, I guess it depends on what your definition of early exit is.
HR predicted Hoos will lose in round 2. They will be a #1 seed, so they would not meet teams like Auburn, Florida, Ky., and WVU in round 2. If they make the sweet 16 and lose, I would not call that an early exit, especially this year when the round of 16 will probably be filled with competitive games.
I agree that those teams could beat Va., but they are probable top 4/5 seeds if not higher so they could beat anyone and it would not be a major surprise.

Yeah, it's pretty subjective. I see what you are saying, but for me, assuming UVa ends up being a 1 seed, and especially the #1 overall, it's hard to really even consider the first round anything more than a warm-up. While it's never shocking to see a 5/4 over a 1, it does register as a surprise depending on expectation levels. Given that, for me at least, a Sweet 16 exit would make the results incommensurate with the expectation levels and would be kind of an early exit. There's a lot of basketball still to be played, though, so it's all conjectural at this point.

Also, I am using those teams as examples, but certainly teams in a similar mold could present problems. Heck, there's been a glut of 15/2 upsets in the last 5 years based partially on match-up problems so you can never tell.

Yeah, it's pretty subjective. I see what you are saying, but for me, assuming UVa ends up being a 1 seed, and especially the #1 overall, it's hard to really even consider the first round anything more than a warm-up. While it's never shocking to see a 5/4 over a 1, it does register as a surprise depending on expectation levels. Given that, for me at least, a Sweet 16 exit would make the results incommensurate with the expectation levels and would be kind of an early exit. There's a lot of basketball still to be played, though, so it's all conjectural at this point.

Also, I am using those teams as examples, but certainly teams in a similar mold could present problems. Heck, there's been a glut of 15/2 upsets in the last 5 years based partially on match-up problems so you can never tell.
We are still a long ways from a #1 seed but that would be great to have. The NCAA Tournament is about matchups, being hot at the right time and free from key injuries/illnesses. It’s starting to get into the part of the season where Hoo fans start wondering what will it be this year.....we are due to go into March at full strength and see what can we do. Tony’s a great coach and hopefully the Hoos can go far enough to get him the credit he deserves. I still believe the overall talent is better on the offensive side than any he’s had. Some would debate the Anderson/Brogdon team but that team didn’t have a solid 3rd on offense, this team has 4 that score.

I hope they're "1 and done".
You are going to give yourself an ulcer worrying about it.....just enjoy having a great program right up the road. You are a VT/Bama football fan....you already pull for UVA in baseball ( you say because you like coach)...so pull for UVA basketball, may be one of the classiest coaches in the game. It’s obvious you like to be a bandwagon fan.....jump on!!

Reactions: HeaksManley
You are going to give yourself an ulcer worrying about it.....just enjoy having a great program right up the road. You are a VT/Bama football fan....you already pull for UVA in baseball ( you say because you like coach)...so pull for UVA basketball, may be one of the classiest coaches in the game. It’s obvious you like to be a bandwagon fan.....jump on!!
If you are a fan of college basketball, you've got to like the way UVA plays.

Reactions: LakeErieHokie
I do not like or respect anything about UVA basketball or football, players, coaches or anything else.

I am not a Bandwagon Fan.

I do not like or respect anything about UVA basketball or football, players, coaches or anything else.

I am not a Bandwagon Fan.
LOL....if you don’t respect Coach Bennett then you just proven something is wrong with you. And you are a bandwagon fan, I failed to mention you also pull for Liberty.....how many teams wagon’s are you riding?

Not on any wagons, but I like VT(all sports) , Liberty(all sports) and Alabama (football/softball),

Speaking of bandwagon fans, I have seen more "UVA hats" around Central Virginia in past month, than I have in past 10 years combined.

Not on any wagons, but I like VT(all sports) , Liberty(all sports) and Alabama (football/softball),

Speaking of bandwagon fans, I have seen more "UVA hats" around Central Virginia in past month, than I have in past 10 years combined.
Smart people wearing those hats......I’ll be glad to get you one. How about a tee shirt that says “Embrace the Pace”.....

I’m hearing rumblings that Game Day will be in Hooville for the VT game next weekend.....

That lose hurt today, VT really hurts themselves at FT line......got to steal a road win again. What was up with Clark’s Mickey Mouse hair today, not a good look.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
That lose hurt today, VT really hurts themselves at FT line......got to still a road win again. What was up with Clark’s Mickey Mouse hair today, not a good look.

Yeah, and this is my concern with this team. A cold-shooting VT limits what Clarke can do, generally, so I'm not surprised totally by his lack of productivity. Not sure what's going on with Blackshear, but him being pulled didn't feel like it was exclusively due to poor playing. It was nice to see Horne contribute some meaningful minutes, but whenever you're -13 on rebounds, it's tough to overcome an ice-cold start. Another big one was 'Med just being totally cold. This team is too fragile to absorb bad/sub-par performances from Hill, Blackshear and Clarke. We just don't have a Leday or Outlaw this year to offset their lack of output, or a really dynamic offensive player like Allen to stretch defenses. Plus, I mean, our defense is bad, to put it mildly, and while I understand part of that is strategic (playing mostly zone with an undersized, guard-oriented team), the margin for error is just so small for these guys.

Reactions: kcwashing1
Yeah, and this is my concern with this team. A cold-shooting VT limits what Clarke can do, generally, so I'm not surprised totally by his lack of productivity. Not sure what's going on with Blackshear, but him being pulled didn't feel like it was exclusively due to poor playing. It was nice to see Horne contribute some meaningful minutes, but whenever you're -13 on rebounds, it's tough to overcome an ice-cold start. Another big one was 'Med just being totally cold. This team is too fragile to absorb bad/sub-par performances from Hill, Blackshear and Clarke. We just don't have a Leday or Outlaw this year to offset their lack of output, or a really dynamic offensive player like Allen to stretch defenses. Plus, I mean, our defense is bad, to put it mildly, and while I understand part of that is strategic (playing mostly zone with an undersized, guard-oriented team), the margin for error is just so small for these guys.
Good insight.....I’ll give you one thing, VT has some good quick athletes. Just feels like something is missing, not sure what but doesn’t feel like they are a team. Just my opinion.....

Need to be more focused on defense. Loss to Miami hurts NCAA tournament chances. We have to win games like this at home.

I do not think anyone on this team has shown the heart of Leday (last year) or the head of Allen (last year). That is really what is missing from this year's team. They only have a few weeks to find someone with a heart and a head. It can still happen (maybe tonight). They also need to be much more consistent on both defense and offense. We need to win 6 of the remaining 8 regular season games to lock up a spot in the NCAA.

I do not think anyone on this team has shown the heart of Leday (last year) or the head of Allen (last year). That is really what is missing from this year's team. They only have a few weeks to find someone with a heart and a head. It can still happen (maybe tonight). They also need to be much more consistent on both defense and offense. We need to win 6 of the remaining 8 regular season games to lock up a spot in the NCAA.
I dunno about that. I like the heart of J. Rob. Also, I like the Heart of Ahmed. Bibbs is ok "heart"-wise as well from what I can tell. I think they picked up playing with a little more effort from Allen and LeDay. Perhaps they could be a little more consistent with their effort (heart... I am using the terms interchangeably). However I think this team is ALL dependent on their shots falling. The defense feeds off of their shots falling. Their intensity feeds off of their shots falling. I don't believe this is an optimal way to win games, but being height-challenged, this style gives VT at least a little more than a punchers chance each night even if we're outmanned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT