ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Beamer deserves all the credit in the world

Sep 15, 2012
He's a great man, and he built the program so he deserves all the respect in the world. People need to put that in perspective before talking about firing the guy. That's not going to happen nor should it.

With that being said, without any question this should be his last year. It's time to move on and bring some new fire and energy into the program. I wouldn't be opposed to keeping a few of the younger coaches around but overall clean house. The coaching as it stand today in the program is not good. It's inferior. Head coach, offense, defense, special teams, everything and it's getting worse by the year. And all of the Bud defenders out there need to realize he's a big part of the problem too.

Tech is in the middle of a 4 hour hotbed radius of football recruiting and some fresh new life into the program could go a long way to rebuilding the pipeline that has been thin and cost the program the past 5 years and counting.

He's a great man, and he built the program so he deserves all the respect in the world. People need to put that in perspective before talking about firing the guy. That's not going to happen nor should it.

With that being said, without any question this should be his last year. It's time to move on and bring some new fire and energy into the program. I wouldn't be opposed to keeping a few of the younger coaches around but overall clean house. The coaching as it stand today in the program is not good. It's inferior. Head coach, offense, defense, special teams, everything and it's getting worse by the year. And all of the Bud defenders out there need to realize he's a big part of the problem too.

Tech is in the middle of a 4 hour hotbed radius of football recruiting and some fresh new life into the program could go a long way to rebuilding the pipeline that has been thin and cost the program the past 5 years and counting.

False..let's begin. The last five years...the D has ranked top 25 every year. That it...done, conversation over. The D is in fact and supported by statistical fact.....NOT getting worse nor is Foster. Your statement about Foster or D uses an 8/game sample to make your claim. Yes....you are a Homer and yes....CFB is getting off easy. He should have been fired two years ago and threatened with firing in 2006 without making O changes. He put his personal buddies before the program in 2006. My respect for him has depleted. He gets a two mil payout when he leaves. He should give that money to Foster who carried him for 2 decades.

I understand your point, but I disagree. Beamer himself publicly stated he would step down before it reached this point. Notwithstanding the subjectivity of "this point", clearly the man is intellectually inclined enough to know he has reneged on his statement. I believe he will try to coach the Bristol game if not forced out before then. He isn't going to give up on that without some nudging.

I think the only way we see Frank in headphones in Bristol is if Whit can't land the replacement he wants this year. The good news is Frank proved you can win at VT, which should make it an attractive job for someone with the right credentials to lead the program.

Exactly homer...the others on this post are jerks.....sunny go find a life and respect what we have. Thank you Frank. I can't image VT football without Frank and Bud. I remember the 70'S and how bad we were. So we are having bad time but Frank is one of us...A VT true and blue so go take your negative comments and post them somewhere else. When the times are tough true fans support not tear apart. You fair weather fans and if so your not one if us...

I understand your point, but I disagree. Beamer himself publicly stated he would step down before it reached this point. Notwithstanding the subjectivity of "this point", clearly the man is intellectually inclined enough to know he has reneged on his statement. I believe he will try to coach the Bristol game if not forced out before then. He isn't going to give up on that without some nudging.

Agree 100%.

Exactly homer...the others on this post are jerks.....sunny go find a life and respect what we have. Thank you Frank. I can't image VT football without Frank and Bud. I remember the 70'S and how bad we were. So we are having bad time but Frank is one of us...A VT true and blue so go take your negative comments and post them somewhere else. When the times are tough true fans support not tear apart. You fair weather fans and if so your not one if us...
Zip it my red herring laced fellow Hokie fan.
#1. Don't poke the beast. Sunny is the board administrator and can remove your red herring laced self.

#2. Yes...red herrings you fired. The fallacy is....because a fan wants a graceful retirement for Frank and a fan feels its time for a change.....then the label you place on this is....."a fan who does not support Frank or the team." Your disengenous fallacy use reflects poor character and questions your integrity.

#3. Fact is......it's time. Heck....it's past time for his retirement and if you have any common sense, you would know that.

#4. Fans wanting a change do so because they love Tech and want the best. They want to win.

#5. You wrote Frank and Bud built the program. What about ole Stiney? Is he not a part? Why did you leave him out? Are you hating on Stiney sir?

Frank is going to step down. He will finish the season, but may announce his retirement before the end of the season.

Reactions: bschroed
Frank will be at Bristol, but only to accept a 10 minute ovation from the largest football crowd ever.

I would be nice if Frank announced his retirement before the last home game so fans could send him off the way he deserves....I suspect he doesn't announce until after the season unless the team just totally collapses over the next few weeks. I predict when FB retires Bud ends up at a big time program as DC.

Don't tell me I'm wrong Bud has done a great job overall but he as well has regressed. Stop using stats as your be all end all to make your argument, watch the games. Any teams with a hint of athleticism cannot be stopped by the defense. Take it back even further when Tech was winning 10 games a year. All the big games, it was the defense that found a way to get gashed.

Just few examples:
-Did they stop FSU or Miami in 2005? How about GT at home or Georgia in the second half of the Peach Bowl in '06?
-LSU destroyed them in '07, and they couldn't stop KANSAS in that Orange Bowl.
-The offense basicallly carried that 2010 team, then the defense couldn't hold up yet again in the Orange Bowl against Stanford getting gashed in the 2nd half.
-How did the defense do against Clemson in 2011?
-Want to get into the last 4 years? Really? Lets count the home loses and the inferior opponents we lost to because the defense can't stop running QB's or cover WR's running wide open. How has the D looked against Al Golden's Miami teams the last 4 years?

So give me a break dude. Why don't you break down those stats for me before you start telling me I'm wrong.

So stop using stats as your only measuring stick. Yes, the D has been overall better than the offense over the years without a doubt. But the defense has also come up very short over the years in a lot of big spots where they are needed the most. I'm not denying Bud has been really good, but like Frank, sometimes it's just time to move on.

I always wondered how good Bud's defenses would have been if he had been with a team that had a good offense. In some of VT's big loses to much was put on the defense to save the day instead of having an offense take some of the pressure off of the defense. The best offenses at VT were when you had QB's (Vick, Taylor) that were capable of making things happen on their own...other wise VT is one of the most conservative offenses in the country. I believe the fact the offense is so conservative has hurt VT recruiting the best offensive players. And I have never understood why the best players don't want to play for Bud??

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
...in '07, and they couldn't stop KANSAS in that Orange Bowl.
Actually, the D totally stiffled Kansas's very highly ranked offense (2nd in the nation in scoring, 6th in total yardage) in that game, holding them to their lowest offensive output of the season. That loss was one of the many Glennon and Stiney WTF specials. Ore was running wild in the 2nd qtr...so Stiney totally abandoned the running game altogether after that. Glennon couldn't read a defense if it gave him a lap dance, so Stiney turned him loose to choke up a couple of turnovers to piss the game away in the 2nd half.

That was actually one of those games where I knew for certain that Stiney had no game feel whatsoever. He just doesn't get it...even now. Kansas had no hope of defending the VT rushing attack that night. That was pretty obvious all the way through the 1st half....which was also about the time when we quit doing it.

Last edited:

I'm sorry you don't like my opinion but you'll have to deal with it bucko. I agree Beamer is "one of us" with regard to the hokienation. But that has nothing to do with consistently failing at $2.6 million per year. Not only has his salary become a giant waste, the decline of football at VT has started to cause a monetary shortfall that can't continue to be overlooked conveniently for the sake of implicit sovereignty due to homerism. It just doesn't work that way my friend. Show me results or do the honorable thing, move over and stop pretending like you're doing something great for VT by running the program completely in to the ground. We the fanbase are not idiots. Well, most of us aren't.

Reactions: vt1hokie
Bucko thanks I've been called worse. I do think it's time for a change but trashing Beamer is beyond comprehension. Now we are trashing bud but last several years he was the savior. When we get a new coach, patience will be far less from me. just appreciate the twenty year run....that's all

Don't tell me I'm wrong Bud has done a great job overall but he as well has regressed. Stop using stats as your be all end all to make your argument, watch the games. Any teams with a hint of athleticism cannot be stopped by the defense. Take it back even further when Tech was winning 10 games a year. All the big games, it was the defense that found a way to get gashed.

Just few examples:
-Did they stop FSU or Miami in 2005? How about GT at home or Georgia in the second half of the Peach Bowl in '06?
-LSU destroyed them in '07, and they couldn't stop KANSAS in that Orange Bowl.
-The offense basicallly carried that 2010 team, then the defense couldn't hold up yet again in the Orange Bowl against Stanford getting gashed in the 2nd half.
-How did the defense do against Clemson in 2011?
-Want to get into the last 4 years? Really? Lets count the home loses and the inferior opponents we lost to because the defense can't stop running QB's or cover WR's running wide open. How has the D looked against Al Golden's Miami teams the last 4 years?

So give me a break dude. Why don't you break down those stats for me before you start telling me I'm wrong.

So stop using stats as your only measuring stick. Yes, the D has been overall better than the offense over the years without a doubt. But the defense has also come up very short over the years in a lot of big spots where they are needed the most. I'm not denying Bud has been really good, but like Frank, sometimes it's just time to move on.

You are clueless. You pick one game per season. You fail to measure the entire data set which is an entire season. Sadly, you are so ignorant in the area of statistics that you ask me to "stop using them" to argue my point. LOL. My God, what has become of our population. I really question if you are a college graduate and took statistics. I gave you the numbers and you can not stand them. Bottom line is this......during the examples you gave....what did the offense do? The following is your argument in similarity

Bama got thrashed against Texas A and M at home 4 years ago with Manziel. Ohio State thrashed them last year in the ACC Title. Auburn on the kickoff return game put up crazy numbers a couple of years ago. Therefore......because of these 3 examples.....BAMA's D sucks! Or....it's "fading." LOL. This is the ignorant kind of argument you have. I gave you true data.....FACTS, and the data shows over the long haul, our D is not sinking. You also hate that. You can't stand it. You want Foster to fail because of your love for the old guard. Your argument is supported by emotion and one snapshots in time in which EVERY TEAM IN AMERICA goes through on D. The difference is....at Virginia Tech, there is LESS one snap shot in time moments that you pointed out COMPARED TO the rest of the country. It is my previous sentence that you simply fail to grasp. You simply do not have the mental capacity to understand it.

Let me put this to you clearly though so it can sink in. IT's OVER. This is it. He's gone. This is his last year and VT will move into the new centuries offensive age. Deal with it. P.S. Foster may stay on as DC. Deal with that also.

Bucko thanks I've been called worse. I do think it's time for a change but trashing Beamer is beyond comprehension. Now we are trashing bud but last several years he was the savior. When we get a new coach, patience will be far less from me. just appreciate the twenty year run....that's all

Red herring again. Is that all you have? Are you so intellectually inept you can't even make a point or argument without firing red herrings and fallacies EVEN AFTER you were told and showed what you were doing with the very first post. I will repeat.....folks who want a coaching change love VT. They want to win. They want what is best for the program. One can argue that you are the hater. You are the one who does not want what is best for VT, as you want CFB to stay. And yes.....deep down, if you had a lie detector test, it would show that you DO NOT want him gone. Why can you not admit that? If you feel that way (and you do) just say it. Don't go around firing fallacies at other fans BECAUSE YOU are upset there is going to be a change and you do not want that change to occur. Again, do the right thing integrity wise and say how you feel. You do not want CFB gone this year. That opinion is ok. In may be unpopular, but it's ok, so why not say it?

As for your patience and the new coach. I would hope you have the same patience with him that you have had with Frank since 2011. Everyone appreciates the 20 year run of Frank, I really think every fan does appreciate it, and you do not see a guy like me making statements like, "everyone" or "all." Rarely do I ever write all inclusive words, but in this case, it applies. I can't imagine a fan not appreciating his run. I also think you were correct on the 20 year part. That is.....from 1991ish to 2011ish. That's the 20 year run. I do not appreciate the last 4 years. I simply do not. The program has headed in the wrong direction.

Doesn't the ending of "tookis" mean "butt". Which is nice for a$&.

I'm really not sure you were around for the run as you just learned to say your first words recently

Never less, I'm for tradition.....Frank's first six years were tough..maybe we should have fired him then? I think this is an age problem equating to being old and can't coach interpretation in effect your discriminating against Frank who without some tough injuries could be 5-3 right now....would that make you happier...

I believe in Franck and bud...if frank wants to step,down fine, but they deserve our support until then. Or we can be like Michigan for the past years.....wrong coach wrong system.....

I give the new coach three years....so I can be part of this gang.

Doesn't the ending of "tookis" mean "butt". Which is nice for a$&.

I'm really not sure you were around for the run as you just learned to say your first words recently.

I got ya. Conversation over. You got schooled. Your first two paragraphs were attacks on me. This shows you are rattled. Again....fallacy. This fallacy is an attempt to attack the messenger in an attempt to discredit the message. That's a six grade level fallacy. Any and every post you made in this thread that started out misleadingly objective is clearly flawed.

Not only with the personal attack, you result to age discrimination to make a point. LOL. Boy oh boy chief, you pull out the entire fallacy book. Notice how you show intellectual cowardness in answering the question about Frank staying? You do not have the capacity to do so. You ducked and weaved. I like your part about you giving the new coach three years. At least you can use the words...new coach. That we agree on. I love your comment about Bud. I think Bud is a rock star and this we do truly agree on.

Tookis you speak from all openings...I think the word inept may have stoked the fire. So I support frank and bud. Is that so wrong. I'm not upset there will be a change I'm upset that we trash talk frank and bud. Maybe if you didn't think u knew everything about loyalty you would see the ugliest in many posts. When you get older you will understand loyalty.

In regards to six grade, sorry you had to repeat it so often that you can remember the fallacies as I can't. Is three times a record?

Tookis you speak from all openings...I think the word inept may have stoked the fire. So I support frank and bud. Is that so wrong. I'm not upset there will be a change I'm upset that we trash talk frank and bud. Maybe if you didn't think u knew everything about loyalty you would see the ugliest in many posts. When you get older you will understand loyalty.

In regards to six grade, sorry you had to repeat it so often that you can remember the fallacies as I can't. Is three times a record?
Same question again. Attempt 3. Do you prefer Coach Beamer be the coach at VT next year? I am not asking you whether your opinion matters. I am not asking whether your choice is allowing Frank to do what he wants to do or Whit doing what he wants.etc..etc..etc..I am again asking yiu personally....in your personal preference, do u want it prefer Coach Beamer as HC next yr at VT? You said u are older. I am also. With my years on this earth, I have developed intellectual courage to answer a question honestly without spinning. Have you? Answer my question. I personnally prefer Coach Beamer NOT be the HC at VT next year.

Yep and bud too......

Fair enough. Why did not just say that upfront? I totally respect your opinion by the way. I disagree with it, but respect it. I do want a change at HC, but I want Foster to stay as DC...or...actually become the HC. My choices for Head Coach in order are Foster, then Bobby Wilder at ODU, then Shane Beamer. I have been hammered in this board for over the last year for Bud and Shane as HC..especially Shane. I certainly do not care though. I think Shane would make a great coach. I hope he gets the Central Florida job, does well, and comes home as HC after 3-5 years.

Are we buds now....sorry!
Dude. I love VT football to much. I live and breath it. I want to win. II love CFB. I want a statue in the from of Lane Stadium 50 feet tall and I would contribute 10k to it. I mean that sincerely. Frank Beamer is one of my all time top 3 sports heroes. This is not hyperbole. I am dead serious, but......I love our program also. I feel it's time. I feel his run has been special. I just think it's time. That does not make me a hater. It's almost offensive to me...well...it is offensive because I love CFB if comments are made that hammers people wanting a change
I know your comments were not directed at everyone or all people wanting a change. They were directed to those disrespecting Beamer and I get that. I simply feel it's time. It's best for the program. I feel there is a way to respect CFB while at the same time wanting a change. I know I respect the he'' out of him. He's a legend..no question about that.

Reactions: B1dee
Is MadMax pckank or KER reincarinated. The same old stupid blah blah blah blah that just a pile non sense. Me thinks he post these obviously stupid and ignorant post to get attention. MadMax please go up to your room and tell Mama that you have been playing on the computer again......

skank's too busy trying to salvage this dumpster fire of a season (and thus his job) than to be on here posting.

Lucas and SBW. These guys are obviously chain pullers.

I realize that. Max has settled down though and is a paid member anyway. He's got a whole lot of rope. The other one ain't in violation despite the likelihood he's annoying folks.

Besides, after I saw them trying to debate with Lucus, I can't think of a worse penalty. Better pack a lunch. Hell, add dinner to that, and they don't even know they can't win, period. hehe

Frank Beamer and Bud Foster are both legends, but neither are getting the job done right now. Never expected the defense to play so poorly this season, especially the DLine!

Retire Beamer, keep Bud - concise, correct and I didn't resort to insulting fellow board users or get wet in pissing contest.

Let's Go Hokies!

Lucus lost the debate when he said that Shane Beamer was his third choice to replace his father as head coach. Anyone who says that needs to go to rehab. Wasn't he also the one on here pushing for Baby Shane to replace Jim Weaver as AD?

It's it wrong to support frank and bud. Is it?...them I get hammered for doing so. So, in the Spirit of 1776 I fired back. You think I'm A bad guy or something....not. I was at tech when football was a joke and I was at games when we became something. So, can I be respected for my support of frank and bud? That's all.

Lucus lost the debate when he said that Shane Beamer was his third choice to replace his father as head coach. Anyone who says that needs to go to rehab. Wasn't he also the one on here pushing for Baby Shane to replace Jim Weaver as AD?
I bullied, intellectualized, and utilized him like a garden tool in the debate. My preference for Shane Beamer is irrelevant to the discussion. I stand by it and have for two years. He is choice number three for me. Why? I value Foster more than CFB or the new coach. I think the loss of Foster is more damaging than the gains from hiring a new coach. Therefore, this is why Shane is high on the list for me as he would keep Bud. With that written.....I would not stay the course out of fear of losing Foster. We have to make changes at HC.

The guy MM is behaving like a child. I know he is a paid member because I ran into more of his cheap crap on the pay board.
I know that coach Beamer is not coming back and he probably knows this too. Just wants to pull a chain or two.
If he is a Hokie then we as a school, have really screwed up somewhere .

Man I don't even post for awhile and still get slammed. I guess that's the norm? What Neanderthal Ive been a fan for 40 years. You must be Still living in the ice age. And in regards to behaving like a child maybe you should read all my posts not just one and that's assuming you can read or are you still on "see running back run. See running back jump" volume one. Don't worry you will eventually get To volume 2 "see caveman whine. See caveman crawl back in cave"

Same question again. Attempt 3. Do you prefer Coach Beamer be the coach at VT next year? I am not asking you whether your opinion matters. I am not asking whether your choice is allowing Frank to do what he wants to do or Whit doing what he wants.etc..etc..etc..I am again asking yiu personally....in your personal preference, do u want it prefer Coach Beamer as HC next yr at VT? You said u are older. I am also. With my years on this earth, I have developed intellectual courage to answer a question honestly without spinning. Have you? Answer my question. I personnally prefer Coach Beamer NOT be the HC at VT next year.

Lemme jump in.

I want Frank to retire at the end of this year. As to "helping him decide" to retire, I don't want that to happen, but I suspect Whit, if he is convinced CFB won't step down voluntarily, is already garnering support for the move. I would sadly, and maybe inconsistently, support Whit in that.

Contra most opinions, I do not want Frank to announce mid-season. Ideally, Whit surreptitiously inks a new HC, and CFB announces on Feb. 4. It doesn't work that way, but it's what I'd like. Our already meager class could look positively DIII if the HC goes too soon. jmo

I also want Bud to go, btw. We now know he is not a god, and cannot field a good-to-great D without good-to-great players. Problem is, he is not a good-to-great recruiter himself. He needs to go. also, jmo Aside: some of his moves and non-moves this year are puzzling... at least.

Man I don't even post for awhile and still get slammed. I guess that's the norm? What Neanderthal Ive been a fan for 40 years. You must be Still living in the ice age. And in regards to behaving like a child maybe you should read all my posts not just one and that's assuming you can read or are you still on "see running back run. See running back jump" volume one. Don't worry you will eventually get To volume 2 "see caveman whine. See caveman crawl back in cave"
It is very dificult to believe that you have been a fan for 40 years. You post like you are still in grade school. Your main purpose in posting is to attract attention. Not to discuss FB. You are pathetic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT