ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats VT on a tough road win.

I have to admit I really am amazed at Fuentes steadiness and composure. We had a lot during the game to get agitated about. Quite a contrast between the two sidelines.

BTW, was it me(I was watching it with several fans), but were there a number(one person said 10 to 12) of pass interference calls missed?Some were called but not many.
Does Pitt teach the grabbing of the jersey or were they beaten and just trying to hold on?

If I were PITT I would grab the jersey every time since they were only calling 1 out of 10 pass interference. There was also a lot of holding on the PITT O-line. VT did their share of holding as well (but way less than PITT in mho). I have no idea what the PITT coach was complaining about. He should of been thanking the refs for all the pass interference calls they missed. Fortunately, VT was still able to catch a lot of the passes. VT should have easily scored over 50 in this one. Fortunate to get the win.

There was also a lot of holding on the PITT O-line. VT did their share of holding as well (but way less than PITT in mho).

Not sure how you can claim this, but nice win for the Hokies as it scored pretty much on every drive it had last night. Pretty sure Price was held and it was never called. It goes both ways. I do miss Beamer's offenses of recent years as it will be a strength under Fuente. Looks like these Pitt-Tech games are going to be pretty intense with these two coaches.

Not sure how you can claim this, but nice win for the Hokies as it scored pretty much on every drive it had last night. Pretty sure Price was held and it was never called. It goes both ways. I do miss Beamer's offenses of recent years as it will be a strength under Fuente. Looks like these Pitt-Tech games are going to be pretty intense with these two coaches.
LeftCoast - I agree that the holding went both ways. I think the refs were very inconsistent in the calling of the game. That said - both sides got away with holding. Was a tough game. When did Peterson learn how to throw? Seems that was not a strength but man he showed up last night. Conner is a beast. Glad to have walked out of there with a win. The monkey is off our back with a win at your place now. I think that we need to examine our red-zone offense as we were in there a bunch of times and only walked away with field goals. Also agree that this would have been a loss under Beamer's ultra-conservative offense. Good luck the rest of the way.

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
I have to admit I really am amazed at Fuentes steadiness and composure. We had a lot during the game to get agitated about. Quite a contrast between the two sidelines.

BTW, was it me(I was watching it with several fans), but were there a number(one person said 10 to 12) of pass interference calls missed?Some were called but not many.
Does Pitt teach the grabbing of the jersey or were they beaten and just trying to hold on?

Yeah, Fuente is one cool customer. There were some questionable red zone calls and the execution left a lot to be desired, but I still never got the impression that he wasn't in control and that we were playing into a loss. Even with Bud's defense getting gashed on big play after big play (Pitt averaged over 8 yards per play last night), the VT offense looked undaunted. Also, it's interesting to contrast Fuente's calmness with Narduzzi's manic apoplexy.

Seriously, I respect Narduzzi's defensive prowess a lot, but his secondary were DRAPED on our receivers all night and only got called a handful of times. He's now 0-3 in really close games this year, and though it's purely conjecture on my part, you have to wonder how much Narduzzi's deportment/emotional temperament comes into play. Dude seemed so tunneled in on the officiating and one-on-one match ups that you have to wonder if his decision making X's and O's wise isn't affected.

LeftCoast - I agree that the holding went both ways. I think the refs were very inconsistent in the calling of the game. That said - both sides got away with holding. Was a tough game. When did Peterson learn how to throw? Seems that was not a strength but man he showed up last night. Conner is a beast. Glad to have walked out of there with a win. The monkey is off our back with a win at your place now. I think that we need to examine our red-zone offense as we were in there a bunch of times and only walked away with field goals. Also agree that this would have been a loss under Beamer's ultra-conservative offense. Good luck the rest of the way.
The refs were very inconsistent.....there was just as many push offs not called on VT as it was holding of the jerseys not called on Pitt.

Reactions: persp

On Conner's last long run, seemed like there was a hold -- though it may have been a cut block. I'd have to go back and look and it's moot at this point anyway. Refs make calls and miss them. It is what it is.

Regardless, I agree that both lines got away with a lot, but as far as the no-calls on PI I still think your corners got away with way too much. Fuente was smart to go with so many iso match-ups because there were clear mismatches and it seemed like all your CBs could do to compete was make premature/obstructive contact, but again I say that with a VT bias.

The refs were very inconsistent.....there was just as many push offs not called on VT as it was holding of the jerseys not called on Pitt.

The push-offs were reflexive, though. Our receivers were pushing off to untangle themselves from interfering defenders. Like, I'm sorry, but there were several no calls where Pitt CBs were literally hanging on Hodges' jersey. I understand leniency in a push-and-shove match, but several no-calls were just so, so egregious that there's not a lot to defend.

Reactions: salemfan32
Helluva win guys! If you tweak the red zone offense a bit, your boys are gonna score in the 50's. But it is hard to get open in the red zone when the other team is grabbing on to ya like ya stole something!

The push-offs were reflexive, though. Our receivers were pushing off to untangle themselves from interfering defenders. Like, I'm sorry, but there were several no calls where Pitt CBs were literally hanging on Hodges' jersey. I understand leniency in a push-and-shove match, but several no-calls were just so, so egregious that there's not a lot to defend.

There were a couple of push offs by hodges where it was egregious and there was no grabbing by the CB. Pitt got away with a bunch of penalties, but so did the VaTech WR's, especially Hodges. Thats pretty much his main move.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
There were a couple of push offs by hodges where it was egregious and there was no grabbing by the CB. Pitt got away with a bunch of penalties, but so did the VaTech WR's, especially Hodges. Thats pretty much his main move.
I think once both sides realized that nothing was going to be called, it was foul at will at that point. Grab and hold, push off, face mask, whatever. There might've even been a groin shot or two in there that we didn't even see.

Well, push offs are one thing but literally holding on to the jersey and shoulder pads are another. That being said, I think Pitt's coach was way out of control with the refs during the game and that will come back to haunt them. This was one game that I think we definitely would have lost playing Beamerball. No way Frank would have kept throwing and basically chucked the running game in the second half. We would have just kept trying to run the ball with Pitt completely stacked against the run.

So you think holdings are just as hard to call when the jersey is stretched out in plain sight? OK.
I don't blame the kids for doing all they can to D up. But I think the refs could have thrown a flag and everything would have been "cleaned up". The fact that they were so inconsistent created a real problem for both sides in the game. As far as Narduzzi's behavior goes, one flag on him would have toned that down too. Good rivalry going. I remember going up to Pitt to see this match up when they had all their outstanding receivers(one was Fitzgerald and he had another standout on the other side that I think played for Dallas or somebody for a while).

If I were Pitt, I'd like to see the team throw some short passes to Connor more. Good play calling the whole night for them. Like I say, two years ago, we would have lost this game going away.

We had three receivers with over 100 yards last night. Unless you think that's all due to pushing off, I think it's pretty obvious why there was so much grabbing and interfering by your secondary. Also, Hodges' main move is being about 6 to 7 inches taller than most CBs while possessing comparable athletic ability. He's a match-up nightmare and that's why so many young CBs struggle to keep him in check and why he'll be playing on Sundays for a long time. He doesn't need to push off, and to suggest that's his main move is just, well, dumb. Young CBs trying to play press coverage on him while giving up 5+ inches in height, on the other hand...

Reactions: salemfan32
We had three receivers with over 100 yards last night. Unless you think that's all due to pushing off, I think it's pretty obvious why there was so much grabbing and interfering by your secondary. Also, Hodges' main move is being about 6 to 7 inches taller than most CBs while possessing comparable athletic ability. He's a match-up nightmare and that's why so many young CBs struggle to keep him in check and why he'll be playing on Sundays for a long time. He doesn't need to push off, and to suggest that's his main move is just, well, dumb. Young CBs trying to play press coverage on him while giving up 5+ inches in height, on the other hand...
I totally agree Heaks. I kept waiting for Pitt to give more help in the secondary and at least make us throw shorter, but I think they were going to shut down the run and take their chances with throws. I still am sometimes in the Old Skool mode and expected us to try to go back to establish the run but, thankfully, we never did. So far, I think Fuentes is doing fine.

Wonder if Bucky will play tight end or a split end hybrid at the next level? I see him putting a little bit more of muscle on and becoming a good tight end.

Good play calling the whole night for them. Like I say, two years ago, we would have lost this game going away.
Pitt's offense is very good. They are second in the league in scoring and have hit 35+ in 5 straight games.

If they had any sort of slightest hint of pass defense at all, they'd be undefeated right now.

No they arent. Both are penalties. They are the same.

Eh. You steal a single grape from the produce section at the supermarket and it's still stealing, but if you get caught it's unlikely that anything will happen beyond you getting a disapproving stare. Steal a case of beer, on the other hand, or lobster if you're Jameis Winston, and you're probably in trouble. Of course breaking a rule is always an infraction, but the way punishment is meted out or determined is really situational. Otherwise, you'd see 30 PI calls a game.

We must have been watching different games because I didn't see too many cases where Pitt DBs were NOT holding/grabbing... and I cannot recall one where Hodges pushed off where he was not being held.

We must have been watching different games because I didn't see too many cases where Pitt DBs were NOT holding/grabbing... and I cannot recall one where Hodges pushed off where he was not being held.
I suggest rewatching the game....

Wonder if Bucky will play tight end or a split end hybrid at the next level? I see him putting a little bit more of muscle on and becoming a good tight end.
He's a lot like Terrelle Pryor and he plays split.

Last edited:
I watched the game video. On 11 occasions our primary reciever was held. Two were called.
Our guys did push off. In many cases they were bing held but not every case.
Our redzone O or our O period in the beginnng was poor because we were trying to run the ball on an 8 or 9 man front. Meanwhile their inexperienced DB's were left without help. We bombed them but we were late starting this.
We threw shorter on our next to last possession. Both incomplete ,both stopped the clock when we at worst could have eaten another minute or so off of it by running. We departed what was working. This didn't change the outcome of the game but it added more pressure on our guys at the end.
Just as zany was their OC tried two sweeps and another crap play in their last possession when their QB had been passing very well against us and their RB (Conner) was pretty unstopable. Sweep was their no. 1 play but we stopped it dead all nite. Go figure.
Their coach acted up so much the ACC has fined them $5,000.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT