ADVERTISEMENT

Don't remember this article being posted here.

Surprising offer based on his character issues, doesn't seem to fit the kids VT usually make offers to. Must be concerned about the QB's you have now and coming in.....

Lol. No idea what that was all about. I think it's already a done deal, and VT no longer pursuing.

Hoos19NC, which our incoming QBs do you not like?

Originally posted by VTSmitty:

Lol. No idea what that was all about. I think it's already a done deal, and VT no longer pursuing.

Ford and Durkin both look like beast qbs, but I've got my money on Ford. I think he's got more potential, if he can put on some weight and improve his 40 time to around 4.1 lmao

Smitty,, I'm not questioning your QB's based on my knowledge just figure there must be an issue for VT to offer a kid with baggage like he has....just surprised.

Originally posted by SunnyBeachWave:

Ford and Durkin both look like beast qbs, but I've got my money on Ford. I think he's got more potential, if he can put on some weight and improve his 40 time to around 4.1 lmao
Unless one of them is truly elite, I would like to see a two QB system developed behind the talents of both Ford and Durkin if they both prove to be productive. Then go with whoever the hot QB happens to be in a particular game, instead of watching one struggle, with no options.

Competition is a good thing.

Yeah I think most would go with Ford but I am in Durkins corner until I see an O Line that can move people. He can take it and is used to running. He may not be the passer that Ford is but he is no slouch. He has a great arm.

Until we get an o-line that can actually block somebody we need a QB who can scramble and make things happen with their legs... I see a lot of people on here that say they want a power game or Pro-Style offense..... Well you can't have that until you have an o-line that can block and we haven't had one of those for a long, long time.

Originally posted by mrjolly01:

Unless one of them is truly elite, I would like to see a two QB system developed behind the talents of both Ford and Durkin if they both prove to be productive. Then go with whoever the hot QB happens to be in a particular game, instead of watching one struggle, with no options.

Competition is a good thing.
I like that idea too. We should tell Loeffler to let Stinespring know it might be worth considering.

If you have watched UVA any you will know a 2 QB system is a disaster......each guy is always looking over his shoulder after any mistake, makes them play tight......I hate it.

I think there's a good chance they're playing tight because it gives them a head start on the fetal position if someone was to buck up on 'em.

What's wrong with looking over your shoulder? Anybody who has ever played organized sports knows you have to do it. Knowing one needs to play his best should not prevent him from doing so. I prefer having two QB's ready to go at all times and that won't happen unless they are both getting game reps throughout the season.

Name me a situation where a team thrived platooning QB's? Florida did it with Tebow one year but he only came in mainly on goal line situations.......

Darren MCFadden/ Casey Dick @Arkansas in their "wild hog" and basically every other program in college football that run the wildcat formation alot.

Bringing in a kid for the wildcat is not the same as platooning QB''s, try again.

Teams who run alot of the wildcat formation substitute just as much as Florida used Tebow on the goal line.

And that was my point, I don't consider how Florida used Tebow as platooning QB's....bringing in a guy to run the wildcat is nothing more than another RB with an extra blocker. True platooning is when both QB's actually run a true offense capable of running or passing. Still waiting for that scenerio that a team used an excelled....

Originally posted by Hoos19NC:
Name me a situation where a team thrived platooning QB's? Florida did it with Tebow one year but he only came in mainly on goal line situations.......
Sorry Hoo19, I'm not playing. All I said is I'd like for us to try it. I'm sure its been done with both success and failure. The reason I'd like to see it in this case is because Ford and Durkin bring contrasting skill sets to the table. If they are both productive in moving the offense it would give us flexibility in our game plan for different matchups and to adjust when a game plan isn't working, or when one of them is just having a bad day. Also, not knowing which QB you will face each week makes it more difficult for a defense to prepare.

Sorry Hoo19, I'm not playing. All I said is I'd like for us to try it. I'm sure its been done with both success and failure. The reason I'd like to see it in this case is because Ford and Durkin bring contrasting skill sets to the table. If they are both productive in moving the offense it would give us flexibility in our game plan for different matchups and to adjust when a game plan isn't working, or when one of them is just having a bad day. Also, not knowing which QB you will face each week makes it more difficult for a defense to prepare.
If a 2 QB system made things so difficult for a defense, why wouldn't an offense actually do this? QBs need rhythm and cannot just go in and out like other position players without missing a beat. And, more often than not, this would divide a locker room, especially when things do not go well because you would have Ford backers and Durkin backers instead of having a united team.

I've got a better idea. Instead of worrying about 2 QBS with contrasting skill sets, how about we go back to the days of Randall, Tyrod, and Logan, and have a dual threat QB like 95% of college teams have right now.

And that was my point, I don't consider how Florida used Tebow as platooning QB's....bringing in a guy to run the wildcat is nothing more than another RB with an extra blocker. True platooning is when both QB's actually run a true offense capable of running or passing. Still waiting for that scenerio that a team used an excelled....
A true platoon is when a team uses two different starting QBs with two diffrent skill sets.Ohio State went 10-3 with Jackson/ Germaine in 1997. One a good runner, the other a good passer.

Two QBs with equal skillsets that platoon usually means neither is good enough to beat the other out...see Smelly/Garcia.

Can anyone name a college team that has used a traditional QB system with 2 QB's where they were any good? I can't think of any. Leak and Tebow do not qualify because Tebow was used basically as a running back.

I will state that there is no college coach who would prefer to have a two QB system as a strength. It is always a weakness.

Originally posted by pckank1:

If a 2 QB system made things so difficult for a defense, why wouldn't an offense actually do this? QBs need rhythm and cannot just go in and out like other position players without missing a beat. And, more often than not, this would divide a locker room, especially when things do not go well because you would have Ford backers and Durkin backers instead of having a united team.
Now you are talking about a QB controversy, not a platoon system. How the coaches present it to the team would make all the difference in that locker room stuff. If its part of the plan, and not just a controversy in which the coaches really only want to play one QB and keep flip flopping them. I agree that causes problems.

Why offenses don't actually do this I assume is because its harder. But common sense would tell you its tougher to plan a defense when you don't know who you are planning for. It seems to me that would have to be an advantage of doing it.

Smitty,, I'm not questioning your QB's based on my knowledge just figure there must be an issue for VT to offer a kid with baggage like he has....just surprised.
I really don't know the story. But, it ended about as quick as it started.

I really don't know the story. But, it ended about as quick as it started.
How's that Smitty? We're still after him and still have the offer out. We're not gonna get him though because Lefty is gone. Is that what you mean? If so, I agree completely.

I hope to heck we don't start making it a habit offering clowns like this kid. The guy is a disaster waiting to happen and I am stunned we offered him.

How about this tweet, while still in high school, to Clemson QB Cole Stoudt: "Your on the bench for a reason. And i come soon! Just letting you know," Wow, that's the kind of teammate you want, right? Then, he seemed to get worse after getting to Clemson, even yelling an F bomb at Dabo because they punted in the spring game instead of going for it on 4th down, and whining the rest of the game after getting benched. There was more where that came from because Dabo kicked him off the team for "multiple" incidents.

I just don't understand why we offered him. Even if the coaches feel we have a questionable QB situation, why bring in so much baggage, especially at QB where you need leaders. This guy is no leader, and never will be. He is too worried about twittter and rap videos, and enjoys being a jerk too much.

Wow. The guy got kicked off of his high school team, too, and not once, but twice. Does anyone really think he will ever change?

http://www.gametimepa.com/ci_13570599

I've got a better idea. Instead of worrying about 2 QBS with contrasting skill sets, how about we go back to the days of Randall, Tyrod, and Logan, and have a dual threat QB like 95% of college teams have right now.
Probably because you need two good QBs. There's usually enough separation between 1 and 2 to make this a non-issue, and most schools don't want to risk hurting one of them otherwise. But no, it's not ineffective in the right offense.

. This guy is no leader, and never will be. He is too worried about twittter and rap videos, and enjoys being a jerk too much.
That might be your dumbest comment ever.

Here's a photo of champ and his girl just 24 hrs ago.

His stats so far this year at East Miss: 65% comp, 3140 yds, 39 tds/8 int, and he'll be leading his team in the Juco national championship on 12/6.

I get the feeling you're perfect. Or perhaps you're a better talent scout than the people getting paid to do it. You might even be really good at judging people during their hard times before their meds get adjusted and evened out so that they can be functional in life.
This post was edited on 11/8 10:03 PM by SunnyBeachWave

Geez, Sunny. It is my opinion. Forgive me for having an opinion on a message board. If anyone else on here would have said the same thing I did, you would not have replied. Whatever, man.

Geez, Sunny. It is my opinion. Forgive me for having an opinion on a message board. If anyone else on here would have said the same thing I did, you would not have replied. Whatever, man.
If you feel like you're being singled out, that's probably because you are, but that's no-one's fault but your own. No-one is as relentless in their eagerness to play devil's advocate against every single Hokie on here you've ever had a stupid spat with just to win a word count competition. It gets tiring. Your negativity is only really appreciated if you balance it with some pragmatism, which you typically don't.

. This guy is no leader, and never will be. He is too worried about twittter and rap videos, and enjoys being a jerk too much.

His stats so far this year at East Miss: 65% comp, 3140 yds, 39 tds/8 int, and he'll be leading his team in the Juco national championship on 12/6.

I get the feeling you're perfect. Or perhaps you're a better talent scout than the people getting paid to do it. You might even be really good at judging people during their hard times before their meds get adjusted and evened out so that they can be functional in life.
Still think we should have offered him, Sunny?

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/21/ole-miss-qb-signee-chad-kelly-arrested-in-scuffle-with-police/

Still think we should have offered him, Sunny?

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/21/ole-miss-qb-signee-chad-kelly-arrested-in-scuffle-with-police/
Wow. Glad it was Ole Miss and not us.

we did offer him.....obviously I'm glad we didn't get him now. But that still doesn't change how I feel about giving second chances, and judging others' transgressions. We are all hypocrites.

No matter who our QB in future is, if our current offensive schemes/play calling remain the same , it will not matter.

We have got to try to win games 49-14, not 17-14.

We stopped recruiting him shortly after the offer became public. No one would say why but I think we all know anyway. The only thing I couldn't figure out was why we ever made the offer in the first place. At UVA the HFC is not platooning QB's. He is a little like Captain Hook though.
Personally I think platooning QB's is very good if you don't know what you are doing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT