ADVERTISEMENT

Don't remember this article being posted here.

Originally posted by mrjolly01:

Unless one of them is truly elite, I would like to see a two QB system developed behind the talents of both Ford and Durkin if they both prove to be productive. Then go with whoever the hot QB happens to be in a particular game, instead of watching one struggle, with no options.

Competition is a good thing.
Kelly is a loser, and glad we won't end up with him.

But back on the two-QB system.......It sounds good in theory, and it never, never, never works. There is no advantage to the opposing defense not knowing who to prepare for that isn't overcome by splitting the reps in preparation for the game plan. It doesn't promote rhythm for a QB to think that if he makes a mistake he will be pulled. It doesn't promote confidence in the leadership of the QB in the huddle. As soon as there is a whiff of controversy about who should be starting, the teammates will take sides, and everything goes downhill from there.

The time for competition is before the season starts, preferably in Spring ball. Assuming there is separation, pick a horse and go with it. Switch only if you have an injury, or in desperation to save a season.

Well said AAHokie.....very few examples of where a true platooning has ever worked.

Originally posted by leeanderthal:
We stopped recruiting him shortly after the offer became public. No one would say why but I think we all know anyway. The only thing I couldn't figure out was why we ever made the offer in the first place. At UVA the HFC is not platooning QB's. He is a little like Captain Hook though.
Personally I think platooning QB's is very good if you don't know what you are doing.
I don't think we seriously recruited him. Had a discussion, and would have had a long discussion had he visited, which may or may not have materialized into an offer, but it didn't happen.

I don't think we seriously recruited him.  Had a discussion, and would have had a long discussion had he visited, which may or may not have materialized into an offer, but it didn't happen.

I was going by a certain insider site who posted the info that we had indeed offered him in November. That may or may not have been correct, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't fabricated.

Originally posted by SunnyBeachWave:
I don't think we seriously recruited him. Had a discussion, and would have had a long discussion had he visited, which may or may not have materialized into an offer, but it didn't happen.

I was going by a certain insider site who posted the info that we had indeed offered him in November. That may or may not have been correct, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't fabricated.
Well, it's true but it ain't. He could not have called VT and said I'm committing to VT, and had his offer accepted. He was offered contingent upon a visit and satisfactory sit down with the coaches. So yes, he truly was offered, but there were contingencies.

We're running a 2 OC system right now, and the whole world can see what a disaster that is. Having 2 QBs at VT would just be two guys fruitlessly attempting to run a crappy offense instead of one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT