ADVERTISEMENT

Fuente or mendenhall..

hoofanincelt

Signee
Apr 29, 2006
We both have new coaches. I really know nothing about Fuente other than he coached memphis,in a non power 5 conference is young and apparently you guys think he is the next best thing in football. We got mendenhall who is an established coach playing against the big boys but somehow you guys think you got the better coach..can you guys explain what that is based on?just curious what leads you to believe that Fuente is that big of a coach..he may very well turn out to be so..but too me you guys are taking a shot in the dark on him.let me hear your opinions..

Fuente pulled the strings for TCU as the OC from '09-'11 when the Frogs averaged scoring 43 pts/game, and then took a Memphis program left for dead and within 4 years spent the year ranked in the top 25 and beat a 13th ranked Ole Miss squad that had just taken out #2 Bama.

It's largely circumstantial evidence, but he's put up huge points everywhere he's been, and with Bud Foster staying on to run the defense, then we have cautiously high expectations that both sides of the ball will be good for a change. Fuente will focus on the offense and Bud will do his thing on defense. We think the arrangement has some serious potential.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/recap?gameId=400603894

Fuente pulled the strings for TCU as the OC from '09-'11 when the Frogs averaged scoring 43 pts/game, and then took a Memphis program left for dead and within 4 years spent the year ranked in the top 25 and beat a 13th ranked Ole Miss squad that had just taken out #2 Bama.

It's largely circumstantial evidence, but he's put up huge points everywhere he's been, and with Bud Foster staying on to run the defense, then we have cautiously high expectations that both sides of the ball will be good for a change. Fuente will focus on the offense and Bud will do his thing on defense. We think the arrangement has some serious potential.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/recap?gameId=400603894
This^^
I would be disappointed if we had hired Mendenhall.

I follow college football 7 days a week. I had never heard of Mendenhall until boo hoos hired him. I had heard of BYU.

Fuente is much better hire.

I think Mendenhall is a perfect fit at UVa. He's gonna bring yall back to relevance which is good for the acc. Fuente is the perfect fit at VT because we need offense in a bad way. I think we're in a better position though, because we already had the best dc in college football, and matching a hi-octane offense with that looks pretty damn appealing on paper. I swear, it almost looks unfair. My only concern is the collective recruiting ability of this new coaching system. I'm hoping we keep Zohn as one of the catalysts to that end.

I think they are both good hires and it will take 3-4 years to know if either is a great hire. VT gets the edge overall because Fuentes kept Bud.....the huge wildcard is which guy will be a better recruiter. I think VT needed an offensive minded guy....check. UVA needed someone to bring an attitude/meanness.....check.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Fuente and Mendenhall are good hires on paper who should bring both schools back to football relevance. There's no reason why we can't go back to the 90's when both schools had solid football programs under Beamer and Welsh.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
Hard to believe someone could follow college football 7 days a week and not have heard of bronco..guess you have to look out of the state of VA and alabama...I'm curious to see who we retain on staff. Besides bud who are you guys hearing that will remain on staff with you guys?

Hard to believe someone could follow college football 7 days a week and not have heard of bronco..guess you have to look out of the state of VA and alabama...I'm curious to see who we retain on staff. Besides bud who are you guys hearing that will remain on staff with you guys?
I had never heard of him, but I'm impressed.
For a low-energy guy, he manages admirably. ;)
xTiTnpXeIu04raNufK.gif

Reactions: Hoos19NC
I think Mendenhall is a perfect fit at UVa. He's gonna bring yall back to relevance which is good for the acc. Fuente is the perfect fit at VT because we need offense in a bad way. I think we're in a better position though, because we already had the best dc in college football, and matching a hi-octane offense with that looks pretty damn appealing on paper. I swear, it almost looks unfair. My only concern is the collective recruiting ability of this new coaching system. I'm hoping we keep Zohn as one of the catalysts to that end.

With Zohn's 757 connections and the fact that he just left a job to come to B'burg, hope Zohn gets job somewhere w Hokies!

So Zohn's in the barn as the RB coach. Apparently Fuente liked the job Wiggins did coaching wide receivers at Memphis. Can't argue with his logic, and we can't be any worse at RB coach than we were with Shane Beamer. I like the move.

Now we move on to fixing our QB problems. We have the number one JUCO prospect in house today - keeping my fingers crossed on him.

Heard Shane is being considered for ECU job....seems like a big step for him. Hard to believe they fired a good coach to gamble on Shane.

I think ECU fired coach just because many other schools were hiring new coach, and they wanted to be noticed along with VT, Georgia, South Carolina and others.

ECU was having some internal combustion that needed attention.
UVA made an excellent hire in Bronco. No one on this board has any idea who is better between Bronco and Fu for sure. One thing Bronco will bring to UVA is tenacity. Nobody is going to run over UVA with him as their coach. I really like our hire because we had been contaminated with shameful O management for many years. Watching almost all of our games was very painful.

Thanks. Well, what other pieces of the offense still need to be put in place? Do we have all of the coaches we need yet?

Our oline...asking tall statues to block sideline-to-sideline for our horizontal running game...

* sigh *

New coaches couldn't get here quick enough.

Evans can run too. Thanks for the comment Hoos. Thing I like most is he's ready to start right now.
Our coaching vacancy is the LB coach. It's a sure bet to be filled as Smitty says . Right after the Memphis bowl game.
The happenings in the FB world right now are the most optimistic for our home state I have seen in a long time.

Congrats on evans.watching his videos never saw him throw the deep ball,lots of lobs and quick slants,anyone know if he has the big arm to throw deep..

Congrats on evans.watching his videos never saw him throw the deep ball,lots of lobs and quick slants,anyone know if he has the big arm to throw deep..

He makes good decisions quickly and goes thru his progressions quickly, plus he's accurate. At 6'4, 225 lbs, I can't imagine him not being able to sling the ball if needed. I don't think low % deep balls are a big part of Fuente's offense though. Things are looking pretty darn good for Hokie football. Fuente seems confident and determined. I think he pulls one more surprise blue chip by signing day.

Yes. One of the videos I watched that was on TSL's subscriber recruiting articles show him throwing a ball 57 yards in the air hitting his receiver in stride. He definitely has a big arm.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT