ADVERTISEMENT

Great win, but ....

Hokiepoke

All-Conference
Jan 9, 2003
Greenville, SC
334 yards of total offense does not cut it for me. That was an average Cinci defense that Lefty went up against. To me, he needed to get his offense to have at least 400 yards to earn an extension. That didn't happen, so I'd not renew his contract.

After seeing the mixture of play calling after the early part of the game (albeit without a screen pass in the mix) coupled with the win, Lefty gets to stay. I also like the recruits he's obtained riding the pine and coming in next year and the year after.

How do you justify not renewing a contract based on total yardage output in a bowl game? Just wondering why 400 yards is the benchmark? Don't get me wrong the offense has been horrible most of the year without a doubt. I'm not a big fan of Lefty so far, but I can be objective and say he's playing with about half a deck worth of cards so to speak.

We're on running back #4? Maybe it's 5? How many offensive lineman were injured or are just flat out are horrible? Our QB is on his back on 75% of his drop backs. Even when he's upright he's not consistent. What plays fix or mask an offensive line as bad as ours?

I'm not saying Lefty is the answer, but I want to see him with a full compliment of recruits that he will have next year. The skill position players all gained some valuable experience this year & should be able to take a giant step forward next year, especially if the oline we have in place can give whoever plays QB more than two seconds in the pocket. I'd personally like to see a wide open battle for the QB position next spring. I'm not real confident Brewer is the best we have.......for next season anyway.

Originally posted by Hokiepoke:
334 yards of total offense does not cut it for me. That was an average Cinci defense that Lefty went up against. To me, he needed to get his offense to have at least 400 yards to earn an extension. That didn't happen, so I'd not renew his contract.
I agree. If he had 400 yards and we lost, it would be a glorious day. I am so disappointed.

Originally posted by BigDaddyHokie:
After seeing the mixture of play calling after the early part of the game (albeit without a screen pass in the mix) coupled with the win, Lefty gets to stay. I also like the recruits he's obtained riding the pine and coming in next year and the year after.
Oh yeah, good point. Let's axe Lefty and lose Lawson. Lol.

He will be back, regardless of how many people like it or don't like it.

Originally posted by Hokiepoke:
Until recently, I had been on his but for several months. Two wrongs don't make a right. It's a great ending to a season that was not great. I love it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT