ADVERTISEMENT

I know this year it's all Brewer...but have you seen D.Lawson's HL tape?

...That's because he was a man among boys! Did you see the size of the guys he's competing against? That said, he showed a tremendous amount of skill in that highlight video... great arm with great touch when needed. And running ability that reminded me of Tyrod Taylor. I'll take it!

Yeah, it was all Brewer last year too when he led FBS in turnovers.

That wasn't all on him...with a leaky OL and receivers not on the same page a lot of the time, we gave up about 3 sacks per game and had about 6 or 7 tackles for loss per game, which might have made us the WORST team in the country at protecting the quarterback. Has there been a VT quarterback in the last 2 decades that took more punishment than Brewer did last year?

Yeah I aired this video months ago. Why do you think Ford left and that other rising senior moose withdrew his verbal?

That wasn't all on him...with a leaky OL and receivers not on the same page a lot of the time, we gave up about 3 sacks per game and had about 6 or 7 tackles for loss per game, which might have made us the WORST team in the country at protecting the quarterback. Has there been a VT quarterback in the last 2 decades that took more punishment than Brewer did last year?
SEAN GLENNON

Yeah I aired this video months ago. Why do you think Ford left and that other rising senior moose withdrew his verbal?
I think Ford left and Logan Byrd heel'd out because they saw Dwayne Lawson's films and knew they'd never be more than backups at VT. However, the Oline was non-protective and Brewer took a lot of beatings at Qb last year!

SEAN GLENNON

I figured someone would mention Glennon, but the stats show otherwise.

Glennon (2006) was sacked less than Brewer (Glennon 2.3x/game (28 total) vs. Brewer 2.8x/game (34 total))

Also, Glennon threw more interceptions than Brewer (Glennon 1.2x/game vs. Brewer 1.0x/game)

While I think Glennon was a fine pocket passer when he had time, his line wasn't great and he didn't get rid of the ball quickly enough. My impression is that Brewer had even less time to throw because the line was often overwhelmed. I don't think there are any stats which track average time before a sack, but it seems like last year we had a lot of rushers in the backfield before Brewer even finished dropping back.

Note: Per Game Stats are for FBS schools only and from cfbstats.com. Total sacks comes from Fox Sports.

I'm not saying the OL was good or that blame can't be diffused among the whole offense. I am saying Brewer stank for the most part last year, though, and often reflexively chucked it into heavy coverage when even the slightest pressure was applied. He made some really awful decisions last year, and if he plays the same this year we will struggle to get to 7 wins.

I still say our O always has been too predictable, i.e. run on 1st and 2nd down and take a sack on 3rd and punt on 4th. Me thinks it's not all the QB's fault. -

Reactions: Jackcrow
I still say our O always has been too predictable, i.e. run on 1st and 2nd down and take a sack on 3rd and punt on 4th. Me thinks it's not all the QB's fault. -
No, you're absolutely right. Most of the blame should be directed at HBC Frank Beamer for his horribly antiquated approach to recruiting, general lack of outreach, and stubborn refusal to do anything about our disastrous offensive design for years. And after it all, the best he can do is Scott Loeffler. While we wring our hands about "bad luck" and "the injury bug," Urban Meyer wins national championships with third string QBs and guys like Chris freakin' Leak.

Brewer didn't have much of a running game to balance the d's guess work for most of the season too. I felt like he had some serious emotional trauma after about the 4th game which probably caused a lot of those scared quick chucks. He was definitely abused in the first half of the season to the nth degree.

Brewer didn't have much of a running game to balance the d's guess work for most of the season too. I felt like he had some serious emotional trauma after about the 4th game which probably caused a lot of those scared quick chucks. He was definitely abused in the first half of the season to the nth degree.
Brewer is a very good QB who can throw the short to medium range pass along with an ocasional scamper. He suffered terribly last year from a lack of protection,not only by the O-line but also the RB's and DE's. He played injured far longer than he should have in many games and his grit was instrumental in our winning at OSU and UVA. His plays were called by an unimaginative source that sealed his getting stomped on by almost everyone we played. His interception ratio is lower than either Vick and I believe TT. He threw a hell of a lot of passes. Brewer is where we are and I don't see that changing. Also the OC.
The O-line to me was and is still the biggest question mark with our team. The necessary transformation required of this unit to make it successful is overwhelming.

Key will be play calling. If we run on first and 2nd down and try to throw on 3rd down, the punter will trot on the field entirely too much. Line up in the Spread formation, spread out defense, and sling the ball around, then running lanes will be open.

Reactions: Jackcrow
It's a new season, hope abounds, ...
Well I have muted expectations. Until we fix the O-Line I will not buy into the hype this year. I have too often bought the hype only to be disappointed recently. Whereas I will always support the Hokies, I am not expected too much. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

Well I have muted expectations. Until we fix the O-Line I will not buy into the hype this year. I have too often bought the hype only to be disappointed recently. Whereas I will always support the Hokies, I am not expected too much. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.
I believe that's where most of are at now. The only reason I got disappointed last year was because we beat mighty TOSU and it at first appeared as if we were gonna be something special.

True, still have ugly memories of Wake 'game'! The start doesn't make a season. Listened to 1995 Cincy game (16-0 L) years ago while driving in rain going out of state for my job. At that point never would've expected VT reeling off 10 consecutive W's enroute to whupping the Longhorns in the Sugar Bowl.

We had no offensive game plan for Wake Forest game last year. We should have hung at least 40 points on them.

(In regulation)

My wife had to scrape me off the ceiling after that OSU game. In the '95 Sugar Bowl I predicted we would win after the game was over.

Yup. Thrilled when they do well, but I doubt I possess even 50% of the enthusiasm and optimism I had around 10 years ago.

Me thinks it all hinges on our OLine playing well. We have all the other pieces.

Saw a video of our OC coaching at practice recently. He seems more high energy than I had thought and speaks with authority on what he wants the kids to do. I was impressed.

Me thinks it all hinges on our OLine playing well. We have all the other pieces.

Saw a video of our OC coaching at practice recently. He seems more high energy than I had thought and speaks with authority on what he wants the kids to do. I was impressed.
I saw that video too. He does seem to drive a very up-tempo practice. If nothing else we will get to the line and line up quicker. Not sure how all that translates to a better line and more running lanes to run through. Pass protection seems to be a little better but the running game is suffering for want of running lanes. I just don't get why we have had this glaring deficiency for ten years and it still has not been fully addressed. If someone starts with the youth of our players I am going to smack them. I call BS on that. You can sell me that load of bull crap one year but that is it. Seems like our O-Line only tries to get a push straight forward and never traps to a side to open a lane. I just simply don't get it.

Everybody talks about the disappointing Wake Forest game last season,i checked out after the Pittsburgh game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT