ADVERTISEMENT

If I was UVA's coach, they would not have lost to VT

BigDaddyHokie

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2007
Tony Bennett holds his team back, He has Dean Smith syndrome.

Dean Smith was the only person that held Michael Jordan to a college scoring average during his 3 years at UNC to 17.7 pts per game.

Yes he was a good coach (and great humanitarian), but he was a better recruiter.

When you got to UNC you played controlled and at a pace within the system. When Smith's teams got up by 8-10 pts, he put it in cruise control and got conservative and ate clock. The 4 corners was used in the last 2 minutes.

By doing this he allowed other teams to stay within reach. Yes UNC won a lot of games doing it Smith's way, but he also had to turn his athletes loose in the last few minutes of lots of games. They won most of them, but they lost a few they should have won.

Like Smith, Bennett allows teams to stay close, and only turns his kids loose at the end when the games are close. Usually they win, but occasionally a VT comes along.

Against VT recently, UVA's great little guard scored four 3's in a hurry when he got turned loose. Then VT had a run, then Bennett's team erased a 10 pt VT lead within seconds when they got a green light to play full speed. Everybody was shooting 3's and making then. But this time, it didn't work out.

If I was coach at UNC in the past, and now was coach at UVA with their talent and depth, I'd cut the players loose at the tip off and leave teams in the dust.

Ok......if Tony wins like Dean did I believe UVA fans would be very happy. Next time UVA needs a coach I hope you will apply.

Just curious... what's your take on the unc athletic/academic scandal(s)?
Thoughts on appropriate justice?
I think it's being handled like a joke. What is taking so long? I believe the NCAA doesn't want to hurt the UNCheat brand, because it is one of the most recognizable brands. Can you imagine what the punishment should be based on how long these fake classes have been going on. Just about any other school in the NCAA would receive the death penalty but no way one of the cash cows will receive that kind of punishment. At the end of the day they will come down hard on girls basketball, slap the football team on the wrist and say Roy had nothing to do with it. It's a real shame they will not get what they deserve.

I think it's being handled like a joke. What is taking so long? I believe the NCAA doesn't want to hurt the UNCheat brand, because it is one of the most recognizablement? brands. Can you imagine what the punishment should be based on how long these fake classes have been going on. Just about any other school in the NCAA would receive the death penalty but no way one of the cash cows will receive that kind of punishment. At the end of the day they will come down hard on girls basketball, slap the football team on the wrist and say Roy had nothing to do with it. It's a real shame they will not get what they deserve.
Agree with that.

Would you agree that, were it not for certain "accessories after the fact" (especially espn), the uncaa would never get away with pseudo-sanction?

In my fondest dreams, boosters everywhere begin to say no to everything until the university presidents force the uncaa to do it's duty.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
Agree with that.

Would you agree that, were it not for certain "accessories after the fact" (especially espn), the uncaa would never get away with pseudo-sanction?

In my fondest dreams, boosters everywhere begin to say no to everything until the university presidents force the uncaa to do it's duty.
I can agree with that .....

Have patience guys. Only the koolaid drinkers think UNC is gonna ride off into the sunset with no serious sanctions to football and basketball.
UNC_Cheats_Cowboy_zps3hmbi4xd.gif

Dean Smith was the only person that held Michael Jordan to a college scoring average during his 3 years at UNC to 17.7 pts per game.

Yes he was a good coach (and great humanitarian), but he was a better recruiter.

When you got to UNC you played controlled and at a pace within the system. When Smith's teams got up by 8-10 pts, he put it in cruise control and got conservative and ate clock. The 4 corners was used in the last 2 minutes.

By doing this he allowed other teams to stay within reach. Yes UNC won a lot of games doing it Smith's way, but he also had to turn his athletes loose in the last few minutes of lots of games. They won most of them, but they lost a few they should have won.

Like Smith, Bennett allows teams to stay close, and only turns his kids loose at the end when the games are close. Usually they win, but occasionally a VT comes along.

Against VT recently, UVA's great little guard scored four 3's in a hurry when he got turned loose. Then VT had a run, then Bennett's team erased a 10 pt VT lead within seconds when they got a green light to play full speed. Everybody was shooting 3's and making then. But this time, it didn't work out.

If I was coach at UNC in the past, and now was coach at UVA with their talent and depth, I'd cut the players loose at the tip off and leave teams in the dust.

Reread your post with VT=UNC, Frank Beamer=Dean Smith, and football=basketball.

Uh, I think VT making something like 3/10 free throws down the stretch also allowed UVa to erase the deficit. Also, being able to hit shots in spurts like that while upping the tempo doesn't mean you can do that a full 40 minutes. UVa got away with it down the stretch because it wasn't as much of a defensive compromise -- with Tech being a pretty awful free throw shooting team. An elite or solid free throw shooting team still wins this game by 6-10 points, honestly, no matter what tempo UVa decides to play at.

Packed ,everything I have read says that it's WBB program that gets hit . The NCAA is partnering with UNC in my opinion. They know what happened and they were shamed into having to investigate it. They are part and parcel to the scumduggary that is UNC.

So UVA lost again.

I didn't see the game but let me guess. Slow tempo, tie ball game at the half. The other team hangs around and Bennett turns his players loose at the end with a fast tempo and they make a run that fails?

So UVA lost again.

I didn't see the game but let me guess. Slow tempo, tie ball game at the half. The other team hangs around and Bennett turns his players loose at the end with a fast tempo and they make a run that fails?
Not so much, they didn't turn it on at any point unfortunately....they are in a bad slump at the moment. Hope they can turn it around.

So UVA lost again.

They were playing from behind for most of the game. They managed a second half comeback but then GT went on a run that put it away.

Bennett has the talent to let his guys play tough D, make steals, rebound the ball, turn his kids loose early on O and shoot 3s, and kick butt.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
Packed ,everything I have read says that it's WBB program that gets hit . The NCAA is partnering with UNC in my opinion. They know what happened and they were shamed into having to investigate it. They are part and parcel to the scumduggary that is UNC.

The PR firm that UNC is paying millions for has crafted the narrative that it is a Women's basketball issue to take the focus off of Men's basketball and football. They are pushing this across media outlets in an effort to sway public opinion. Too bad that they have lawsuits against them which will dictate the NCAA's outcome.

Here is what an ex-player (starting DT) has to say in an interview...
http://media.102jamz.com/a/99022771/3live-crew-interviews-tydreke-powell-of-unc.htm

Reactions: kcwashing1
The PR firm that UNC is paying millions for has crafted the narrative that it is a Women's basketball issue to take the focus off of Men's basketball and football. They are pushing this across media outlets in an effort to sway public opinion. Too bad that they have lawsuits against them which will dictate the NCAA's outcome.

http://media.102jamz.com/a/99022771/3live-crew-interviews-tydreke-powell-of-unc.htm
Thanks for sharing Pack. I just wish I had a mote of respect or feeling that the NCAA would act appropriatly.

Wow. Unbelievable.... sorry for the redundancy there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT