ADVERTISEMENT

In-game thoughts...

Wait...12 guys on the field for Liberty on the punt return, so 1st down VT.

How did Turner Gill go from being on top of world (@ Buffalo) to being at the bottom of the ladder (@ Liberty) in two years?

He committed career suicide and took the Kansas job.

Not sure what the Kansas people were expecting in two years? The guy can coach. Liberty actually looked pretty good to me in this game, and I think they're going to have a good season.

If Rogers is a starting tailback, I might be able to start at defensive end. McMillian and McKenzie should be at tailback. I thought McKenzie looked the best at tailback.

First Half Thoughts -
Did not target Bucky in obvious mismatch situations multiple times. The Liberty DB was a good 6 to 8 inches shorter. Throw it up and let him make a play.
McMillan not given enough carries. Rogers I love but he is not a starting TB.

Second Half - Bucky now has 2 TD's amazing when you throw him the ball good things happen. Ford is a beast the entire game. Phillips fumbled twice in the game once it went out of bounds and the second one as we know in the first Liberty took it to the house for 6.
Shai runs hard and he and Trayvon need more carries.
We ran the sweep way to much with Phillips throughout the game with little success.
D was pretty solid. QB was decent and better as game went along.

Final Thoughts - I think we started a little shakey then we settled down on O and we played pretty well. D was solid although against a better team our DB's got beat a few times looking inside but Liberty did not capitalize, against better competition those would have been TD's.
I do think we may have played a little vanilla. We could have ran the score up on them but we pulled some key guys in the 2nd half and just kind of rode out our lead. I assume that was to save some things for UT.

Overall if we can improve on this weeks performance we have some players and could have a good season if we get some breaks to go our way we could make a little noise this year.

I think Tennessee AND VT were both sandbagging. UT was lucky to get away with the win. I think when VT got down to Liberty, Fuente said "screw this" and opened up the offense some. I fully expect to see more early from McMillan, Ford and Bucky in Bristol and wouldnt be shocked to see Teller start.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT