ADVERTISEMENT

In-game thoughts...

hokiemtc

Hokie Hall of Fame
Mar 29, 2002
I see we still don't have a kicker. Great, another year of watching Slye shank every FG in sight.

LOVE the energy and enthusiasm the team came out with.

Nice movement and misdirection from the offense, early 7-0 lead.

* sigh * Stupid special teams.

Evans looks very settled in the pocket, which is awesome to see, but he's a tad off on his deep balls so far.

If he reigns those in by a couple of feet each, then the passes are there for the taking. Nice designs on the pass routes.

Great blitz call and execution by Liberty forces a turnover, then they convert the short field to even things up.

The offense looks very rusty and the defense doesn't look great at all. Against Liberty, we should be doing much better.

Nice looking answer drive stalls out near the 20. Slye somehow barely squeaks it past the upright. VT up 10-6.

Ford and Phillips are the only playmakers that are being targeted. Why Hodges and McMillan don't have more touched in shocking. Sam Rogers is not a feature back...why is he starting at running back?

Liberty is averaging 2 yards a play. Don't know why anyone would bash the defense.

Reactions: phillipsfootball78
Both corners playing lights out in the first half. When Alexander gets back in the lineup, I think this group is going to be really good. TBD on what kind of depth we'll have.

VT nows has the short field, let's see what they do with it.

Oline - shockingly - doesn't seem to be getting much of a push. For our UTenn visitors, yes, that was sarcasm. VT's olines have sucked since the mid 2000s.

Crap. Phillips fumbles while juking around after a screen pass, and Liberty returns it 70 yds for a TD. Liberty up 13-10.

Ford and Phillips are the only playmakers that are being targeted. Why Hodges and McMillan don't have more touched in shocking. Sam Rogers is not a feature back...why is he starting at running back?

Liberty is averaging 2 yards a play. Don't know why anyone would bash the defense.
Both corners playing lights out in the first half. When Alexander gets back in the lineup, I think this group is going to be really good. TBD on what kind of depth we'll have.

VT nows has the short field, let's see what they do with it.

Oline - shockingly - doesn't seem to be getting much of a push. For our UTenn visitors, yes, that was sarcasm. VT's olines have sucked since the mid 2000s.

Crap. Phillips fumbles while juking around after a screen pass, and Liberty returns it 70 yds for a TD. Liberty up 13-10.

VT is beating themselves.

Offense can't run the ball at all, and now Liberty is pressing the screens. The offense needs to shift gears already. That didn't take long.

is McMIllian hurt or what? he has like 3 carries.. I mean i love sam rogers, but this is kind of what pissed me off with frank beamer he got sentimental and played people he like, as apposed to the most talented.. I also think maybe he is trying to save players for next week, but we going to lose with that thinking.

is McMIllian hurt or what? he has like 3 carries.. I mean i love sam rogers, but this is kind of what pissed me off with frank beamer he got sentimental and played people he like, as apposed to the most talented.. I also think maybe he is trying to save players for next week, but we going to lose with that thinking.
Does Bucky have a touch yet?

Well... one bright side is that our Defense looks good.. almost retro.

Defense has been outstanding so far...Liberty has 48 total yds and the only points were on a short field after a major special teams screwup.

Now let's see what the offense can do with more good field position

You guys have very good defensive backs and a very good D overall

Just need to get the offense in gear but you have to expect some growing pains with a new offensive system

After letting Liberty convert that 4th down in the 1st quarter, the defense has been great. The defense is, as usual, keeping us in the game.

Defense has been outstanding so far...Liberty has 48 total yds and the only points were on a short field after a major special teams screwup.

Now let's see what the offense can do with more good field position
I thought their offensive TD came after the Evans fumble.

It took a while at TCU and it took two full years at Memphis before the Funte offenses truly became scary.

We might be looking at the same thing here. I've been hoping maybe we could show a little improvement earlier here since I think that VT has more offensive talent than Memphis had when Fuente first arrived, but it might not happen.

VT power run stuffed on 3rd and 1, but great wheels on Evans on the 4th down play.

After big run, great catch by Ford in the end zone after slight push off. VT goes back up 17-13.

I can just see McMillian lining up all over the offense, so if they want to hand the ball off to multiple guys at RB, at least rotate him out to receiver to use on those screen and jet sweep plays, while also letting him get his fair share of carries at his traditional RB spot. Whether or not that is in the cards for the design of this offense I don't know, or maybe they are just saving looks for the bigger games. But for future games, he is just too explosive to have limited touches like this game. Same for Hodges.

The Evans-Ford connection is starting to eat Liberty alive.

Nice drive! Some really, really nice back shoulder throws to Ford and a very nice fade in the corner to Hodges. VT up 24-13, 0:24 left in 1st half.

Good news: VT's offense put up 37 points in the first half.
Bad news: Only 24 of them were for VT.

Good news: the defense gave up 78 yds total and 6 points that weren't their fault.
Bad news: Liberty has 13 points on the board despite not doing much on offense.

Good news: Evans threw for 162 yds and 3 TDs.
Bad news: Evans missed at least 4 open deep balls, 3 of which were likely TDs.

Bad news: VT can't get any sort of power running push at all against Liberty.
Bad news: Slye

One on one to Ford and Hodges is pretty filthy. Evans puts the ball where it should be too.
Did you find the game to watch?

All-in-all, I think the first half was a lot of what we were expecting. Defense looks really good...the offense is very hit-or-miss. It's probably going to be like this for us for a while. Maybe all season.

First game, first half. Some good things, some things that still need work. Can we finish this game and go beat TN? Sure. Just have to grow from week one to week two.

Did you find the game to watch?

All-in-all, I think the first half was a lot of what we were expecting. Defense looks really good...the offense is very hit-or-miss. It's probably going to be like this for us for a while. Maybe all season.

Yea it is on TV and everything haha.

I agree with that basic analysis. VT will be trouble if the offense protects the ball and makes a few plays. Fuente will be worth his weight in gold putting the offense is very good situations.

Oh...GREAT news: Liberty adjusted to the plays we were running and starting getting a handle on them...so we CHANGED WHAT WE WERE DOING and scored two more TDs.

When the heck is the last time that happened at VT? I almost don't even know what to say about that. Our offensive staff made adjustments?

Yea it is on TV and everything haha.

I agree with that basic analysis. VT will be trouble if the offense protects the ball and makes a few plays. Fuente will be worth his weight in gold putting the offense is very good situations.
I think the VT defense is going to give the UTenn offense fits next week, but the only way we can win that game is if the offense pitches in and generates a few points. Right now, based on what we've seen so far...yeah, wow, that's iffy. I'm not seeing it so far, but hopefully we can work out some more bugs in the 2nd half . When you have a new coach, a new system and a new QB, every little snap helps tremendously. Even against a team like Liberty.

A HUGE red flag right off the bat is the lack of push in the running game. If we can't push ahead for two yards against Liberty, then we're sure as heck not going to push ahead for 2 yds against UTenn.

Good call on the safety. The ball carrier voluntarily spun around and backed up, and you lose all claims to forward progress when you voluntarily give it up.

Evans still way off on the deep ball. We've had receivers open deep in this game. Need to hit those. The last one was covered OK, but you still need to give your receiver a chance to go get it.

Fuente rolling Evans out now since the oline protection is shaky. Wait...another adjustment on offense???

Another really nice drive, with a gorgeous wheel route TD to Hodges. Hokie offense now rolling? VT up 33-13.

Liberty's punt gunners are really, really good. Very fast and they don't miss the first tackle.

Evans misses another open deep ball. Need to hit those.

Fuente punts on 4th and 1. Thanks, oline. One half of football played this season and the new coach already doesn't trust you.

Stroman is having a solid game today. That was a nice interception, great athleticism.

UNBELIEVABLE interception by Stroman. These corners are good.

McKenzie now in the game, and the first run up the middle goes for 10+. 2nd carry goes for 8. Wow...HORRIBLE option decision by Evans kills the drive at he Liberty 20.

Liberty finally goes over 100 total yds. That bowling ball back Liberty has runs hard. Liberty crosses midfield for the first time in the game on offense. Best (only) drive of the day ends in a sack.

Motley into the game with McKenzie. Since the drive started at the 2, then six conservative plays and punt.

Wait...12 guys on the field for Liberty on the punt return, so 1st down VT.

How did Turner Gill go from being on top of world (@ Buffalo) to being at the bottom of the ladder (@ Liberty) in two years?

Game getting a little sloppy now on both sides. McMillian runs for a first down, which hasn't been said a lot in this game. Motley hits some short passes. Offense mixing things up and is driving. 16 play drive, and now Liberty's defense is starting to look like it's getting gassed.

Motley misses Carroll at goal line. VT gets FG from solid Slye kick, up 36-13.

Carroll should be called "white lightning". Might be the fastest white kid i ever seen.

VT runs out clock. I don't know if we learned much this week or not, but at least it wasn't a bucket full of problems like what we've seen occasionally in openers in the past. There's a few things that definitely should've been better against an overmatched opponent, but we can work with this. It's just going to be a process to get there.

First game under the new regime...I'll take it. Onwards to week 2.

Reactions: salemfan32
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT