ADVERTISEMENT

INSIDE The Tunnel: A new FutureCast

TimSullivan

HokieHaven.com Editor
Aug 15, 2011
Nashville, TN
A big week for Virginia Tech seems to be inevitable. A number of top prospects have had long-scheduled commitment dates over the Fourth of July weekend, and several more have established commitment timelines for this stretch. With a Dead Period now under way, it makes sense for guys who feel like they've seen enough to make that call.

The latest to set a commitment date is Indianapolis Decatur Central linebacker Aycen Stevens, who is getting his recruitment over with tomorrow afternoon:

The 6-5, 230-pounder is positionally versatile, and while inside linebackers coach Chris Marve is his primary recruiter for the Hokies, it wouldn't surprise me if - should he pick Virginia Tech - the longer-term plan is to play with a hand in the dirt (or even on the other side of the ball as a tight end). After touching base with a number of sources on the Hokies' end of things (Stevens is one of the few guys who hasn't responded to me at all, even with something as simple as a text with a couple words about how the visit went), I was comfortable putting in my FutureCast for the Hokies when he makes the call tomorrow afternoon.

Where does that leave VT's other linebacker targets? Hybrid safety/LB Caleb Woodson is set to make the call on Thursday, while VT picked up a pledge just this afternoon from Tavorian Copeland. At a position group that doesn't have a huge need, numbers may already be getting tight. That may well explain why Copeland committed today - he didn't want to risk having no space - and also why the versatility of a guy like Stevens would be important. All three guys could have a spot in the class. (Though I do wonder if Caleb Woodson takes a quick re-stock of the situation and makes sure VT is the place for him before making it public this weekend with a linebacker class that suddenly looks very different than it did when he set his date - but still ends up a Hokie).

No matter which dominos end up falling where, it's clear the Hokies will end up with their fair share of them - or more - by just over a week from now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News