ADVERTISEMENT

It would be interesting to VT football had someone in charge of recruiting

lucustookis

All-American
Jul 7, 2007
Man, our recruiting continues to take hits. It would be nice or a great idea if we could take someone with "proven" experience and success and put them in charge of recruiting and give them that title and give them that pay. That would be a neat idea. But for right now, it must be Shane Beamer's fault or Foster or Searles or TG's or some other positions coaches fault for our recruiting woes. LOL. Oh wait? We have a guy on staff with the title of recruiting coordinator? Wow. I had no idea.

Folks, a book should be written on how on earth a certain coach is still on staff in Blacksburg. I am telling ya, the title should include him and Bud Selig. I have never seen such a large amount of a fanbase fooled. It is absolutely perplexing while the OC, we had little success with great talent. While somehow, taking over as recruiting coordinator after being removed as OC, and being one of the few positions coaches to actually set beside the offensive coordinator in the pressbox and somehow, get a pay raise after no longer the OC is mind-boggling. Added to this, while the OC, we blamed em all from Rogers to Newsome to OCaine to Hite.

Why am I posting this? Because incredibly, with the recruiting woes, the same thing is happening with VT football fans! LOL. We are blaming every other coach except the guy responsible who has the title and pay of Recruiting Coordinator. Literally, a book should be written explaining or attempting to explain, HOW?

It is obviously to late for changes at this point with VT football. The damage is done and like I warned you 5 years ago, we were reaching a point where recruiting on the offensive side of the ball would spillover to effect overall recruiting and VT would suffer a talent problem in addition to the offensive coaching issues. Added to this, Coach Beamer's age is being used against us by other schools. We are there. We are in full effect now. With Coach Beamer's replacement, it will take 1/2 of a decade to rebound.

This post is my opinion only and not a "personal attack" or an attack on someone's "persona." Whatever the heck that means. I am giving my opinions of one coaches ability as a coordinator and recruiting coordinator. What did I tell you was the best spot for him on this board over a half decade ago? I told you that he would be a SOLID positions coach because positions coaches teach technique. There is no chess-playing or major critical thinking. It is largely technique and technique comes from years of experience which he has. Guess what? Our TE's are looking great and playing at high levels and that is due to coaching. But........as for being in the press box? Not hardly. As for recruiting coordinator? What did I tell you again, one half decade ago? High School Coaches in Virginia in large amounts (not all, but many of them) do not want to see his face when discussing an offensive recruit. They have it drilled into their minds (rightly or wrongly) on what VT's offense is and he is the face of that offensive system.

Is it possible for you to make a post without it turning into, "I told you so! I told you so!" I don't disagree with you, but who are you trying to convince?

Is it possible for you to make a post without it turning into, "I told you so! I told you so!" I don't disagree with you, but who are you trying to convince?

Are.you serious? You ask a question on who needs convincing with an underlying premise that...."all VT fans surely agree and understand this issue." Your premise is false. Why did I make the post? The post.was not.for people like you who may agree. It is for a huge chunk of our fan base who does not understand. You also over did it with the claim or assertion that "all" of my posts are " I told you so." That is also....false. Scroll back and check. Perhaps 10% of my posts are I told you so type posts and that is OK. It is my nature and added to that...my ability to identify a problem early and come up with a solution and/or see what happens if a solution is not followed is a special gift.

Equally important, when I make post such as the one's five years back regarding the recruiting offensive problem and get hammered for it, and then I am proven correct in the future.....then you bet I will make an "I told you so post."

Lucus,

With all due respect, you've been around the board a long time and have always posted articulate and thoughtful posts, and while I pretty much agree with you on Stiney's failures, the continued bashing has become very tiresome and I believe is starting to become counter-productive. I had become numb to these diatribes months ago and for the most part had stopped reading these types of threads. But now, they are becoming increasingly off-putting. I'm an overly tolerant person, so for me to even respond here probably means that a lot of the other board's readers are way past that point, too. It really feels like you have a very personal vendetta against Stiney and it's causing your message to get lost in the constant vitriol.

We will all concede that Stiney's OC tenure fell far short of our hopes and expectations and that a good portion of VT's recruiting woes are attributable to him as well. However, please also acknowledge that he has some value and has had some successes along the way.

Do we all think VT's recruiting needs to be better? YES.
Do we think we needed a better OC? YES. (How do you feel about Lefty, btw?)
Do we think those past failures set us back? YES.

Do we think we are moving in the right direction? I do. (Do you?)

Maybe that's more of an interesting discussion. Let's talk about how we've improved recruiting and HS relations in the past year with new hires and new positions and lets talk about ways that maybe we can get better? Or, perhaps we can talk about how we recruit versus how other schools recruit - there has to be a lot to talk about with how it seems that a lot of schools break the rules and the NCAA does nothing about it.

Ut Prosim.

... Perhaps 10% of my posts are I told you so type posts and that is OK. It is my nature and added to that...my ability to identify a problem early and come up with a solution and/or see what happens if a solution is not followed is a special gift.

the-avengersfacepalm-gifloki.gif

Reactions: VTHokie1001K
Lucus,

Stop right there dude. This is not TSL. That does not work here. When there is an opinion on this board, you can't just label it "bashing or personal diatribes" and get away with it. Once again, let me call out your first fallacy right there in that I did not PERSONALLY bash anyone. I commented on their coaching ability in my opinion which is fair game. You stated you had become "numb" to my "diatribes." LOL. Then...why did you respond to this so called, "diatribe." Your next statement is...."they are increasingly off-putting." LOL, again, the keyword is INCREASE. I have not posted on this board but perhaps 10 times in the last 4 months. You do realize that? This is the first 1 of the last 10 post that mention Stiney. Therefore, once again, it shows your own PERSONAL agenda against me (someone who has a DIFFERENT opinion than yours).

As for you commenting on me having a "personal vendetta" against Stiney, again....I repeat. This is not TSL. That works there. Not here. I clearly point out coaching abilities as an OC and RC and that is fair game. You NEVER mention how I gave him more than praise on his ability as a TE's coach. Notice that? Again, my comments on his TE coaching was regarding his coaching ability and in my opinion, an incredible job. Did you know that 5 years ago, I stated a positions coach on O would be ideal for him and he would be one of the best in America as a positions coach because of his experience in technique? You never mentioned that. I have NO CLUE about the man personally and do not comment on that. I do comment on coaching ability, success, records, numbers, FACTS related to his performance. That's fair game and shame on you for attempting to coalescing the two.

Once of your final statements is the WE word. That fallacy again works on TSL. You are not on TSL. You do NOT speak for every reader or poster on this board. Your writing of the word "we" is the fallacy titled, attempting to build a coalition. It is essentially a red-herring that DIVERTS away from the message and, it is an attempt to attack the messenger. Again, TSLish, but not here. I repeat to you that your posts are yours. You do not speak for the entire board. The entire board did not have a set down meeting and elect you as messenger, so stop with the second grade "we" comments. I find it comical and almost third grade level when you write, "we all will concede that Stiney's OC tenure......." Dude, you have no clue what scores of readers on this board concede.

Check this out below as this is what you wrote with the "WEs"

"Do we all think VT's recruiting needs to be better? YES.
Do we think we needed a better OC? YES. (How do you feel about Lefty, btw?)
Do we think those past failures set us back? YES."
Do we think we are moving in the right direction? I do. (Do you?)"

LOL on the above. WOW dude!. Every reader on the board agreed to the above and came to the same conclusions? Man....."we"
Since you attempted to attack me personally by throwing a red-herring which is a fallacy and basically a very third-grade like attempt at fallacy titled "building a coalition," I will be sure to REDO my original post and divert attention back to my message and that is.....

1. Virginia Tech Football starting having problems when it was clear in about 2005 that our offensive coordinator hired around 2001ish was out of his league COMPARED TO his most of his other 120 approximate peers in Div 1 football.
2. The offensive recruiting problem started in 2007 after Coach Beamer left Coach Stinespring in place far to long as the offensive coordinator which caused a substantially negative reputation among High School Football Coaches in Virginia with offensive recruits. Again...not ALL High School Coaches in Virginia, but many. Bottom line, our offensive recruiting took a hit.
3. We suffered furthermore by allowing him to remain in place up until 2012 and this further hurt O recruiting and of course, on field production which was already lackluster took more of a hit when you add in less offensive talent COMPARED TO the previous VT 10 years on O.
4. We made the decision to hire Lefty (an above average OC in my opinion, not bad at all) and keep the former OC on staff, give him a pay raise and give him a title increase to recruiting coordinator and allow him to set in the booth beside the new OC and additionally, get more face time with Virginia High School Coaches. This further hurt recruiting.
5. Finally, factors 1-4 above have spilled over into overall season records, spilling over into overall recruiting (both O and D) and now, we have an overall talent problem.

Know the sad part.....deep down.....the "we's" know that deep down, this is largely true. P.S. I pointed out issues 2 in 2007 and clearly predicted numbers 3 through 5 in 2007 on this board. Well, we are here now. Don't get upset. It is what it is.

Last edited:
When coach Beamer took his foot off the gas around 2005 we as a program started to go downhill. He has made a number of changes in an attempt to right the ship. Some of the changes were good and some were not. None of this matters. The reason it doesn't matter is that he waited too long to make the changes. We are never going to have the kind of team we would like to have as long as he stays. This is strictly my opinion. It is free and worth every penny you pay for it.

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
Not this crap again...

Who promoted Stiney to OC? Who kept him there for almost a decade? Who kept him on staff? As far as recruiting, it won't matter who the hell we have as RC if the head coach refuses to get off his ass and recruit himself.

Tech has become just an average second tier Acc program and the recruiting has fell in line with the program. The Acc has improved greatly since tech got in but tech remained the same. I absoblutely cannot imagine tech ever contending for the coastal or Acc championship again.

I think VT contends for the coastal this year.....not a real strong division.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT