ADVERTISEMENT

Joey Van Zegeren

realcatfan

New Recruit
Dec 2, 2014
Hey guys, big Northwestern fan here. I see that there's a strong chance that NU might get Joey Van Zegeren. I'm a little curious about what happened with him at Va Tech. I always liked how Northwestern runs a clean program and I hope that Chris Collins wouldn't stoop to taking a transfer with a troubled past. I don't know if that statement describes Van Zegeren. Curious what happened.

From what little I know of the situation he's probably a good kid.

He was a hold-over from the old coach that got fired.

He was getting a lot of minutes but since he was not recruited by our current coach he may of felt picked on by the new staff when they were trying to coach him up and he blew a fuse and threw a ball at one of the assistant coaches one day.

He doesn't have a troubled past at all, unless you include his 36% free throw percentage, ha ha. He's a good kid who will earn his degree from VT this spring and still have a year to play. He just never meshed with Buzz and as BigDaddy said blew a cork in practice one day.

Originally posted by mrjolly01:

He doesn't have a troubled past at all, unless you include his 36% free throw percentage, ha ha. He's a good kid who will earn his degree from VT this spring and still have a year to play. He just never meshed with Buzz and as BigDaddy said blew a cork in practice one day.
Well said. Is it fair to add decreased playing time combined with an unsettled situation about next year's playing time led to this as well? He averaged 24 minutes a game his first 8 games this year, and only 15 his final 5, including his 4 lowest MPG totals.

Buzz met with him several times after he suspended him. We can assume they discussed playing time and his role with the team the rest of this year and next year, and, with Buzz giving the young guys more and more minutes, JVZ probably felt he deserved more. As a result, they both agreed it was best to move on.

Its anybody's guess what JVZ and Buzz discussed regarding his basketball future at VT. What we know is that Buzz needed one scholarship, at minimum, for Clarke, and he probably wanted to appear strong from the standpoint of discipline and being in control of his program. Buzz had also said during interviews that the more minutes JVZ played there was a declining rate of return in his production and didn't need to be playing 30 minutes a game, which I agree with. Also, it has been clear that wins and losses do not matter to Buzz this season as he establishes his culture. My personal opinion is that JVZ's game had not shown very much incremental improvement between the end of last season and this season. So if Buzz felt the same about the growth potential of JVZ's game, then he probably placed greater value on the freed scholarship than having JVZ for one more rebuilding season in 2015 and possibly losing a potential recruit that could help the program the next several years. I can't say that I disagree with that either, and if this is the case, I expect Buzz encouraged him to transfer and is helping him find a program that would be a good fit. I think JVZ will be a good addition to any program that needs some defensive and rebounding depth for one year and can spare the scholarship. Should be a lot of takers, but ultimately better for us to have that extra scholarship to give.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT